IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Very interesting article at The Domains:

http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/03/did-networksolutions-com-give-away-free-xyz-domain-names/

According to the article, when someone regs a domain at Net Sol, he/she automatically is "given" the matching .xyz. One has to opt out by going to a separate link.

Indeed, I checked a couple of The Domains samples (both crap domains in any gTLD) in both .com and .xyz, and, yes, they are owned by the same person.

But I noticed something else that's interesting: the registrant email for .xyz is under privacy, but the .com isn't.

Check for yourself:

00938625.XYZ (privacy email)
00938625.com (regular email)

03304cjp64ubzd1.xyz (privacy email)
03304cjp64ubzd1.com (regular)​

I bet that the registrant doesn't even know that the .xyz has been awarded to him/her and that renewal notices won't even go to the registrant.

It does look fishy, I'm afraid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And by the way, I have Dubstep.xyz
It only takes a few people like me to make a bad ass website that appeals to our gens Like dubstep.xyz for example, if that got big, all the younger gen would all of a sudden know .xyz, and since it is primarily targeted to people like me and younger, it wont be hard to get the ball rolling and get .xyz to be well known by my gen and younger..
It would be good to see people developing such websites rather than hoping that others will do so. That's a major problem for the new gTLDs - development. Relying on others is not enough because many developers prefer to concentrate their efforts on their existing .COM or .ccTLD websites rather than developing in a new and unproven gTLD. The TLD recognition factor is also an issue because unless the developer has the equivalent .COM or .ccTLD, they may lose traffic to the .COM or .ccTLD site because people don't remember the .XYZ gTLD.

Getting a new TLD known and, more importantly, used requires good marketing. That marketing can be expensive. The difference between .CO ccTLD and .XYZ, in terms of marketing, is in the millions of Dollars. So far, the marketing on .XYZ has not been in the Godaddy Superbowl league.

Regards...jmcc

•••
It is still in its first year of operation. The real crunch won't come until the renewal rates become available. The opt-out registrations may well have a very poor renewal rate.

Yes, unless netsol somehow changes their policy and makes these .xyz auto-renew (a previous poster had said they are not currently set to auto renew) then the wave of .xyz drops at the end of the first year should be incredible. I don't think anything previous will compare to what is likely to happen to .xyz drop numbers starting in 2015.

Other than single word names or brand protection, it's hard to see why someone would stick with .xyz when they can often get the same name in various extensions that have a longer history.

•••
It is still in its first year of operation. The real crunch won't come until the renewal rates become available. The opt-out registrations may well have a very poor renewal rate.

Development is the big issue for these new gTLDs because development drives use which, in turn drives development. This is the June 2014 Website Usage survey for .XYZ.
http://www.hosterstats.com/xyz-website-usage-survey.php

There are people using the gTLD or at least trying to develop sites. The problem is that the opt-out registrations are on PPC parking and they are swamping those figures to such an extent that a type-in might well end up on a PPC page rather than an active website. This is perhaps more damaging in the long run for any gTLD because it creates the perception in the mind of an average user that there are no websites in the TLD. Because development is an expensive and time consuming thing, many domainers will park high value keyword domains on PPC rather than develop them into working websites. That's fine for a TLD like .COM or some of the larger ccTLDS as they may well get type-in traffic. Some of the new gTLDs will get type-in traffic but it will generally be people checking if the domain exists or is available. It is unlikely at this stage that .XYZ will be competing with .COM for some time.

Regards...jmcc
nice , thanks for the link ... interesting !

•••
Yes, unless netsol somehow changes their policy and makes these .xyz auto-renew (a previous poster had said they are not currently set to auto renew) then the wave of .xyz drops at the end of the first year should be incredible. I don't think anything previous will compare to what is likely to happen to .xyz drop numbers starting in 2015.
Netsol cannot make them auto-renew becuase of contractual issues. The registrants did not ask for the domains and they were just added to their accounts. If they were on auto-renew by default, then Netsol would have a far bigger problem.

Regards...jmcc

•••
.XYZ is definitely cooking the books IMO....

Today 10,000+ regs, the most out of any of the new gTLDs, but look at the registrations:

Domain
Domain
09ovjp5py0.xyz
0p15dpvbi.xyz
0w8bganho0.xyz
12s.xyz
13mik9wabd.xyz
1919gogo.xyz
1mkriasg4s.xyz
1x4st01xq.xyz
36vdfc2jpu.xyz
8008.xyz
8482.xyz
8r5s3v2ln1.xyz
8sc0or3se.xyz
8wf7ibuzw.xyz
91hmjjltf9.xyz
9eq1w720dt.xyz
9y1yaoovy.xyz
a-west.xyz
a1foodny.xyz
Domain
Domain
yp8lwibjnk.xyz
ytag.xyz
ytsuchitani.xyz
yuichironakamura.xyz
yumkitchen.xyz
yuntan.xyz
yurituranza.xyz
yzf-r1.xyz

Pages and pages just like this, all jumbled letters, all protected with domain privacy.

There's no registrations like these going on on any other gTLDs, even ones same or lesser price to reg.

They may be regging all random-letter domains so they leave a few decent 1-2 word names available for those that will buy into the artificial demand.

Last edited:
•••
I thought i had read that there was cheap pricing at about $1-$3 somewhere, maybe someone else read this?

•••
.XYZ is definitely cooking the books IMO....
Example: 8wf7ibuzw.xyz is not taken in .com... so it's not a 'freebie'

•••
And by the way, I have Dubstep.xyz
It only takes a few people like me to make a bad ass website that appeals to our gens Like dubstep.xyz for example, if that got big, all the younger gen would all of a sudden know .xyz, and since it is primarily targeted to people like me and younger, it wont be hard to get the ball rolling and get .xyz to be well known by my gen and younger..
In fact I like .xyz mostly because i feel it suits people like me, and also its actually easier to type than .com ,.. actually try it.
"Good" catch. I sat on the .club version overnight pondering it and it was regged by the time I woke up. My loss.

•••
"Good" catch. I sat on the .club version overnight pondering it and it was regged by the time I woke up. My loss.
Thanks, sorry late reply, life... haha Yeah Its freaky how quick they go, cool if you had have got it and built it out :) Im just into making dubstep, and i just happened to type it in one night, was suprised it wasnt taken haha. And funnily I begged my flatmate to lend me 11 bucks so i could register it on the spot, hah glad i did, Im teaching myself html and css etc, <div class="i-have-learnt-alot"> haha </div> .i-have-learnt-alot {color:"#000000";}
dope logo ds.xyz-01.png

any ways haha, Im actually in the process of buliding www.dubstep.xyz and im finding it a challenge, but its interesting the reception i have had so far, The guy that runs Dubstep.fm even talked to me on soundcloud , but then he stopped so maybe My domain has some potential for competition? , If I can gather a team of people with a bit more skill than myself (Seo, script ,design etc.) then maybe dubstep.xyz could go somewhere exciting, I'm pretty chill so im definitly open to input from the edm dubstep community, after all I want Dubstep.xyz to be about the "people" that love the "music" . and the best way to get the best "music" to the people is let the people give it to the people, A bit more social than soundcloud, but DUBSTEP!
haha long rant, but yeah if any bodys interested in helping with the dev or just want to be apart of it , Im more than open to that, It should be a lounge for the one big happy Dubstep family to chill and share DUBSTEP related content in any form. Obviously I cant pay anybody yet, But im sure theres somebody out there with a passion to see this stuff happen haha
My email, [email protected] just incase. haha.
any ways haha, Im actually in the process of buliding www.dubstep.xyz and im finding it a challenge, but its interesting the reception i have had so far, The guy that runs Dubstep.fm even talked to me on soundcloud , but then he stopped so maybe My domain has some potential for competition? , If I can gather a team of people with a bit more skill than myself (Seo, script ,design etc.) then maybe dubstep.xyz could go somewhere exciting, I'm pretty chill so im definitly open to input from the edm dubstep community, after all I want Dubstep.xyz to be about the "people" that love the "music" . and the best way to get the best "music" to the people is let the people give it to the people, A bit more social than soundcloud, but DUBSTEP!
haha long rant, but yeah if any bodys interested in helping with the dev or just want to be apart of it , Im more than open to that, It should be a lounge for the one big happy Dubstep family to chill and share DUBSTEP related content in any form. Obviously I cant pay anybody yet, But im sure theres somebody out there with a passion to see this stuff happen haha
My email, [email protected] just incase. haha.

Attachments

• best of best-01.png
    best of best-01.png
    414.3 KB · Views: 48
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back