Dynadot

discuss .XYZ is more memorable than .COM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just happened to read this article on one of the blogs which says that people prefer to go for unconventional domain extensions like .xyz, which is a top-tier domain extension used by companies like Google, to stand out from the crowd. Have a read through the article:

"Most companies stick to the usual domains like a .com, .org, or .net, but there are a lot of companies out there that capitalize on a domain name to create a unique impression among an audience. It’s as simple as getting a domain that is unlike the rest, making it more memorable for being different.

Take the .xyz domain name, for instance. It is short and uses the last three letters of the alphabet, which makes it easy to recall. The .xyz domain ending is considered a top-tier domain and is used by Google’s corporate website, alphabet. Another great example is the .monster domain, which is versatile in that it can express the company’s message of being a powerful and enthusiastic brand."

Link: https://www.chartattack.com/creating-a-brand-identity/

What is your take on the awareness about .COM and new gTLDs among experts or atleast people who make an impact? Are people still far from understanding that .COM is the KING?
What do you think can be done for them to create awareness?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do, Brad. At least two actually.

I periodically visit abc.xyz because I like to see how Google revenue is changing in search, ads and their other operations, and because it is such a huge company even those of us who don't own individual stocks own some through ETFs or mutual funds. Also, sometimes the Alphabet/Google CEOs post interesting futuristic insights, like the one a few years back about possibility of Internet bifurcating. I also like to track how their "Other Bets" division (covers things like their dream factory and autonomous car development) are doing.

But the .xyz site I visit most regularly, definitely a few times a week, is West.xyz. It is the "western" (or maybe English-speaking is more correct) portal for the huge Chinese domain registrar West. They have great prices on some, not all, new extensions.

I have from time to time accessed others. For example, one of Canada's major university's engineering department had this 3D printing service, where you could submit electronic plans and get a product pretty reasonably. I think they have now gone to part of the institution website, however. I learned about the site on Domain Name Wire, that had a column in 2017 on a dozen or so meaningful .xyz sites. XYZ does make sense for 3D printing, positioning, graphing, 3D models, etc. where the xyz as a coordinate system is sensible.

I agree there are not many xyz sites that the average person visits, but there are some. There are about 2400 .xyz in Alexa 1M, not all of them are very meaningful or good sites, though, I would agree.

Bob
I agree the whole point of.XYZ was to be the successor to.com and eventually replace it go with the progress has been slow. Apps are replacing domains.

•••
Things can also be memorable in a bad way. If I developed my website on a .horse people might remember that also, but for the wrong reasons.

Memorability is important, but I would value credibility far above it. You don't want to be remembered for having a stupid domain.

The extension launched 5+ years ago.
Does anyone actually visit a website on an .XYZ regularly?

That tells you all you need to know.

Brad

West.xyz, A registrar. I guess so many NP members having accounts with them.

•••
It also make sense for virtual reality, everything related VR come from 3D software and xyz space.

Attachments

• 0603424F-3E4A-434D-AD41-6C6C1B1AC6FD.jpeg
    0603424F-3E4A-434D-AD41-6C6C1B1AC6FD.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 87
•••
Last edited:
•••
a chinese-based registrar West.cn launched West.xyz in 2016 for the american audience.
Actually their services is really good has very quick response and well responsibility.

•••
Actually their services is really good has very quick response and well responsibility.

Yes, but like ename, allyun, suspect they still dont have much, any usa market..Maybe being ignorant but if were West.com they would ;)

With time, your point will b proven true, it’s just
2016 new to enter brutally competitive industry.
feel like,can really help themselves if pick .com

New player + .xyz extension + overseas parent
doesnt instill much confidence, but seems they are doing all the right things, since i dont see much/any complaint about west. believe you!

Maybe best example .xyz, after google abc.xyz

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Well clearly .xyz is not the .com killer.

I think it actually is similar to .info in a way. Describes how-to content.

•••
I think ename is very local for Chinese end users they gathered most of Chinese spelling words, Aliyun is too big I feel they don’t much concentrated on domain industry. The west.cn Is starting to go a bit international, but there's still a lot of work to be done I guess there are some cultural experience gap.

•••
1. People defending .com are domainers who want to sell their domains
2. Domainers say xyz is spammy, but have you ever asked a regular person what is their take on it ?
3. Domainers are close-minded and they do not see anything else in their face, except for .com
4. .com is used largely in the US probably, in Europe every country uses their own tld, no one uses .com for businesses.

These are pure facts.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Now i know my ABC next time you can sing with me. The view of a toddler. Used doesn't make it memorable if keyword still rates. People with xyz sales can sell those keywords under another guise. Memorable is com and some great keywords to trade in every extension. XYZ had a lot of registrations.

Last edited:
•••
Don't have time to read about .xyz.

•••
Who knows, maybe .xyz's time just hasn't come yet. If ever. Personally I have never seen anything exceptional about the extension, other than it standing out because it looks so odd. Not sure which crowd it's supposed to cater to.

But this has been discussed time and time again, where we pit some random extension against .com because of an article we've read or because of vested interests (marketing, investments). I've always believed it should never be a case of "us or them", rather "us AND them". There is nothing anytime soon that is going to come along and upend the gold standard in domain extensions, and become the new gold standard. Something has to set the bar, and that something took DECADES to reach the height it did.

The spread is so huge now across TLD's that to focus on a single replacement for dot-com is tantamount to looking for a replacement for water. We've got a ton of beverages to choose from, but water is ultimately the proven thirst-quencher.

Better to use our resources on investing in the right names with the right extensions, certainly, some combinations do taste better than others but it does not necessarily make that extension better as a whole.

•••
Who knows, maybe .xyz's time just hasn't come yet. If ever. Personally I have never seen anything exceptional about the extension, other than it standing out because it looks so odd. Not sure which crowd it's supposed to cater to.

But this has been discussed time and time again, where we pit some random extension against .com because of an article we've read or because of vested interests (marketing, investments). I've always believed it should never be a case of "us or them", rather "us AND them". There is nothing anytime soon that is going to come along and upend the gold standard in domain extensions, and become the new gold standard. Something has to set the bar, and that something took DECADES to reach the height it did.

The spread is so huge now across TLD's that to focus on a single replacement for dot-com is tantamount to looking for a replacement for water. We've got a ton of beverages to choose from, but water is ultimately the proven thirst-quencher.

Better to use our resources on investing in the right names with the right extensions, certainly, some combinations do taste better than others but it does not necessarily make that extension better as a whole.

I know what you mean, I believe this is also a conventional and easy to agree with idea, but I look at things a little differently, I do not think which domain name is right or wrong.

First of all, the domain name as what is called the digital real estate, but the “real” real estate have a lot of different from that, the stability of the real estate came from factors that where people live with friends, family, jobs, hospitals, schools, convenience, etc. the domain name can easily change address at any time by few clicks because of on internet. in some ways things could be changed as quickly as technology.

Second, although there is no specific meaning of xyz literally, but recall the past to the present, both poetry and lyrics are more emotional color(the olders might think that way than youngers), I think this might be a sign of civilization progress, so I'm thinking a seemingly meaningless xyz may become a fav thing by new younger people, actually if you go look around in Reddit you will find those computer geeks more and more enjoy to discuss about .xyz domain.
In terms of image, I think modern people prefer sharp things, which have more modern sense and also represent desire, high techs, which I would like to compare with fashion or maybe high heels?

Third, of course, the .com is the best choice for end-users, but that does not mean it won't change, when one thing would have been innovated often because of power has been excessive controlled, many veteran domainers have mastered most of the .com resources, the ordinary people don’t have enough room be share that benefit, domain names is not like some industries like oil, gold, need a lot of resources to monopoly, everyone can register a domain like everyone can give a vote, what’s supporting the value of com is only in its image, it is not that difficult to defeat.

Finally, of course I might be wrong and the idea above is not so much based on statistic of selling status, but compare to other ngtlds the .xyz is gradually and healthily growing up. According to my observation that so far I think xyz went in the right direction, keep instilling xyz to young people, college students, base on it, the recoil forces will show up over the next few years, so in my opinion the whole domain industry seems to me the key is image fighting, I kind of pretty sure the competitors keep giving spammy image to xyz because it’s not the first time(at least 3 times I aware) my comments been deleted in those comment areas of news sites every once I tried to speak something about xyz, I very doubted it’s one of a fight-back strategy of competitors behaviors, lol.
To me .com is not like water exactly while domain name involving people can create their own worders by their own preference, maybe there is a better metaphor.

Ps. I did not mention any other ngtlds because those extension although are good, but the meaning has already limit their capacity most of time (including cctld).

•••
I would say the Daniel Negari made a pretty good move since he acquired those .beauty, .hair, .makeup, .skin, baby etc from L'Oreal. as I known a huge of market environment formed up by girls/ women's desire(no offensive), he is an very ambitious guys. if .xyz is a Sundae, those are sprinkles and cheery.
upload_2020-3-25_1-17-12.png

•••
.xyz is nothing but popular because of scam sites lol. As soon as someone sees a site with .xyz on it they start to panic and scream SCAM!

on another note
I have tried.... .US .Biz .CO .org .net .life every freaking time I end up going back to .com

As much as I love .us and .biz

their is nothing that will ever beat .com just face it!

•••
.xyz is nothing but popular because of scam sites lol. As soon as someone sees a site with .xyz on it they start to panic and scream SCAM!

on another note
I have tried.... .US .Biz .CO .org .net .life every freaking time I end up going back to .com

I am curious who is starting to panic and scream scam except domainers...

I have my personal email address on xyz in the form of [email protected] and no one panics and everyone says it is a clever way to make your email. I have used it everywhere, utilities, bank emails and so on.

Thanks,
Cristian

•••

Might be Verisign

•••

on another note

Yeah, that’s the way you consider by an investor yourself, who wouldn’t want the exact name they want before dot as a enduser? yet ends up force themselves to choose 3-4 long words dot com. If you want to quick flip you domain selling then choose .com, if you want long term investment ngtld is a good choice. Some of my favorite are .xyz, .online, .app, .biz, .shop, ai, io, etc.
It’s impossible the .com eat the whole pizza.

Last edited:
•••
I am curious who is starting to panic and scream scam except domainers...

I have my personal email address on xyz in the form of [email protected] and no one panics and everyone says it is a clever way to make your email. I have used it everywhere, utilities, bank emails and so on.

Thanks,
Cristian
This is just one example that took 5 seconds to find. When I said people who start to panic and scream are these people in this post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/742r1p/is_fevwshopxyz_a_scam/

I was just stating the fact that .xyz fucked up their marketing when they launch with penny registration sales. They got nothing but scammers who wanted to throw a cheap website up super fast to scam or phish someone! It was bad specially on facebook when they first launched. Someone was advertising their business with .xyz their was so many comments stating that "its a scam site, look its a .xyz".

Stating the facts!

As I stated before I love .biz .us but unfortunately for business it seems that .com is the better option. I am no domainer that's like OMG .com only!

•••
This is just one example that took 5 seconds to find. When I said people who start to panic and scream are these people in this post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/742r1p/is_fevwshopxyz_a_scam/

I was just stating the fact that .xyz f*cked up their marketing when they launch with penny registration sales. They got nothing but scammers who wanted to throw a cheap website up super fast to scam or phish someone! It was bad specially on facebook when they first launched. Someone was advertising their business with .xyz their was so many comments stating that "its a scam site, look its a .xyz".

Stating the facts!

As I stated before I love .biz .us but unfortunately for business it seems that .com is the better option. I am no domainer that's like OMG .com only!

An other fact is that you can spend extra 5 seconds to find a bunch of spammy .com, It turns out that the ratio level is about the same. As I said its just an image implantation by those haters/ competitors/ domainers making sure everyone concentrating on spammy image of .xyz, if I were phisher I would choose .com since everyone trust it, who is the one not facing the truth?
upload_2020-3-26_0-46-30.png

upload_2020-3-26_0-47-12.png

upload_2020-3-26_1-45-39.png

upload_2020-3-26_1-46-13.png

•••
An other fact is that you can spend extra 5 seconds to find a bunch of spammy .com, It turns out that the ratio level is about the same. As I said its just an image implantation by those haters/ competitors/ domainers making sure everyone concentrating on spammy image of .xyz, if I were phisher I would choose .com since everyone trust it, who is the one not facing the truth?
Show attachment 148590
Show attachment 148591
Show attachment 148598
Show attachment 148599

I am not talking about statistics I’m taking about people in the world in their point of view.

their is a lot people out there that don’t even know what a .net is or .org and when they read rumors about .xyz being scam website. they only think about what they read.

Last edited:
•••
I am not talking about statics I’m taking about people in the world in their point of view.

their is a lot people out there that don’t even know what a .net is or .org and when they read rumors about .xyz being scam website. they only think about what they read.
I agree your saying "they only think about what they read" but as an investor’s viewpoint I believe there are multi types of strategies because of its a complicate game, Some people think that emotion is a key factor in the market, some people see its intrinsic value, I guess I would choose later one because the emotion will not last long, on the other hand, if once I notice that xyz have not continuing to fight phishing sites, I will not hesitate to drop it, but looks like they are doing well to date.

Last edited:
•••
Due to its offer on registration since it's launch it mostly registered by scammers or spammers so it did not left a good impression on peoples that's why I would never opt xyz as my main site domain

•••
So you guys state the fact is all based on rumors rather than statistics, that’s cool.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back