IT.COM

news Will British registrants lose their right to own .EU domains ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Brexit - Britain has voted to leave the EU !

.EU
is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the European Union

.EU domain are only available for organisations in and residents of EU member states

Could this mean a mass drop of .EU domains where British registrants no longer satisfy the requirements ?

Will there be a grace period where British registrants can quickly sell their .EU domains that they will lose there rights to ?

Or, have they lost the rights to this ccTLD with immediate effect ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Brexit - Britain has voted to leave the EU !

.EU
is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the European Union

.EU domain are only available for organisations in and residents of EU member states

Could this mean a mass drop of .EU domains where British registrants no longer satisfy the requirements ?

Will there be a grace period where British registrants can quickly sell their .EU domains that they will lose there rights to ?
Or, have they lost the rights to this ccTLD with immediate effect ?

Go to the website of EURID (the registry) =>www.eurid.eu, and look for their phone.
They are open from 9-17 during weekdays. (several languages are spoken).(but it's possible they get an enormous amount of phonecalls now.

I do own several .eu-domains,(( AND even .SU-domains (Soviet Union ; yes this extention still exists !!)) and also .co.uk domains (but only a few .co.uk).

More info in the following page at the eu-registry about UK can be found here => http://www.internetnews.me/2016/06/24/brexit-impact-eu-domain-registrants/

•••
How contact Eurid => (the eu-registry). => https://eurid.eu/en/about-us/
Contact us
You can contact us in any official EU language by email or phone.

General enquiries
Telephone: +32 (0)2 401 27 50
Email: [email protected]
Press: [email protected]

Support
We may have the answer to your question in our FAQ section , so please check there first before calling our support desk. If you don't find what you're looking for, please email us at [email protected] or call us in any official EU language.

Telephone support is available Monday to Friday, from 09:00 to 12:30 and 13:30 to 17:00, Central European Time, except on New Year's Day (01/01/2016), Easter Monday (28/03/2016) and St Stephen's day (26/12/2016).

English +32 (0)2 401 27 60 Nederlands +32 (0)2 401 27 61
Čeština +32 (0)2 401 27 66 Polski +32 (0)2 401 27 70
Dansk* +32 (0)2 401 27 76 Português* +32 (0)2 401 27 69
Deutsch +32 (0)2 401 27 63 Română* +32 (0)2 401 27 79
Eesti +32 (0)2 401 27 77 Slovenčina +32 (0)2 401 27 75
Español +32 (0)2 401 27 64 Slovenščina* +32 (0)2 401 27 67
Français +32 (0)2 401 27 62 Suomi* +32 (0)2 401 27 73
Italiano +32 (0)2 401 27 65 Svenska +32 (0)2 401 27 68
Latviešu* +32 (0)2 401 27 78 Ελληνικά +32 (0)2 401 27 72
Lietuviškai +32 (0)2 401 27 71 Български +32 (0)2 401 27 80
Magyar +32 (0)2 401 27 74 Hrvatski* +32 (0)2 401 27 81
* Support in this language may be limited. If the officer for this language is not available when you call, your call will be forwarded to the English-language queue.

Registrars who need urgent support outside office hours should call 24/7 support on +32 (0) 2 620 02 50. Calls to this number are handled in English.

Offices
EURid's headquarters are located in Brussels, Belgium. We also have regional offices in Pisa, Prague and Stockholm.

Diegem / Belgium
EURid vzw
Woluwelaan 150
1831 Diegem
+32 (0) 2 401 2750

Prague / Czech Republic
EURid Services s.r.o.
U Pergamenky 1522/2
17000 Praha 7
+420 234 602 380

Pisa / Italy
EURid Services s.r.l
Borgo Stretto 52
56127 Pisa
+39 (0)50 977 041

Stockholm / Sweden
EURid Services AB
Sankt Eriksgatan 46 A
112 34 Stockholm
+46 (0)8 5063 7400

•••
@Domainstore even the EURid are not sure about the future of British registrations of .EU domains, they will be directed by the powers that be at the European Commission.

The European Commission is the sponsor of .EU and they will decide the fate of the 300,000 + existing UK registrations and any future UK registrations.

I will keep you updated of news here when the time comes ;)

•••
No one will lose anything however I bet lots of French people said ...... Sa-cré-bl.eu when they heard the news.:xf.wink:

•••
OP: great question. From where we sit the experience of the EU as it concerns the UK comes through friends and one of our server farms. Friends do business internationally in USD, and as we have from the beginning, we STILL pay GBP… it's like the Euro currency doesn't exist.

Now you've made me wonder as we look to move south, will I have to give up our .CAs?!

•••
@Domainstore even the EURid are not sure about the future of British registrations of .EU domains, they will be directed by the powers that be at the European Commission.

The European Commission is the sponsor of .EU and they will decide the fate of the 300,000 + existing UK registrations and any future UK registrations.

I will keep you updated of news here when the time comes ;)
About .eu-domains and UK-owners => i think the European Union will decide.
But it may be possible that more "non-European Union countries" (but being part of the continent of Europe) maybe will be able to register .eu-domains also.
HOWEVER ==> About the CO.UK-domains and .uk-domains it is possible that only the UK can decide about that. It's not that the country doesn't exist any more.
And do think about the folowing : There are stille many .SU-domains (Soviet Union), although the Soviet Union as such doesn't exist any more.

•••
•••
A year on with a lot of discussions and delays to brexit, it seems clear to me that the so called 'deal' being discussed is nothing but a farce and what is likely is 'little' or 'no' deal at all.

This being this case. I can confidently predict that British registrants of .eu domains will eventually loss their rights to existing domains in their ownership and their right to register new .eu domains.

•••
I highly doubt they will actually leave the EU

and I sincerely hope they won't

•••
I highly doubt they will actually leave the EU

and I sincerely hope they won't

Have no doubt my friend, the UK is leaving the EU even if they change their minds and call another referendum they may no longer be welcome to rejoin !

The ball is no longer in their court, the exit is initiated and signed by the British prime minster !

Last edited:
•••
Have no doubt my friend, the UK is leaving the EU even if they change their minds and call another referendum they may no longer be welcome to rejoin !

as they haven't left
there is no rejoin right now

and of course they are very welcome

•••
as they haven't left
there is no rejoin right now

and of course they are very welcome

Technically they must leave before they can rejoin again.

In order to rejoin they would first have to pay their exit bill (around 90 Billion euro) then call another referendum with a different result, then pay a reentry bill after satisfying all 27 other members concerns, most of which will have serious concerns about a renegade nation rejoining.

Personally I don't see this happening before 2050, by then the other members may come around to forgiving them.

Last edited:
•••
Just another thing for the Eurocrats to discuss and ultimately agree on (hopefully). :xf.grin:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back