IT.COM

discuss Why Dot Web?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
In the past I have read that dot web will be one of the more successful New Gtlds? But we already have dot net which is basically frowned upon by most domainers .........why will dot web succeed when the other 'neutral' dot net seems doomed ??
~
Will you invest in this extension?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The thing with .net is that it was originally intended to be used for sites involved in networking in general and the 'internet' is just one instance of networking. Of course these day .net is generally assumed to mean the internet but still, it's not as clearly defined as .web which should be immediately obvious to almost everyone. So yea I think .web could turn out to be a very popular extension but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

•••
So .web is not better than .xyz, gdn, .onl etc?

You started a .gdn thread. It's dead. Just 2 other people besides yourself. The extension is one of the worst I've seen. You like it because you can get some good keywords, that's it. Dead thread. I had to Google gdn to find out what it means.

I think people saying stuff like what I quoted, that these other new gtds are better than .web, are just worried about their investments. And you should be, you still have time to sell them before .web comes out. How does it not bump them down?

As for your first question, I've already said that the more I think about it I don't think it's any better than the ones I pointed out. Sure web is pronounceable other than let's say onl but that doesn't bother me, like .io doesn't seem to bother new tech. startups. I also pointed out that most anything worth having will be held by the registry and sold at auction just like all the new launches have done more and more often now.

Do I actually know how well it will do? Sure I don't but I'll have a good idea once it gets off the ground. Am I going to be looking to grab a few? Sure I will like I do most extensions. Will I get anything worth having? Probably not but who knows maybe they will overlook something.

As for my .gdn thread that's fine with me only two people replied, I love being the odd man out and if something does breakout with the extension, well I'm no longer the odd man out then, correct? Here's a prediction .gdn will have a huge upswing from China within the next six months and no more than one year.

Actually .gdn is a great example of how hard it is to register something good, all one word keywords are reserved, no NNN's are available and many LLL have a high price tag for the first year and then a lower renewal after that. I've spent quite a bit of time finding some LLL.gdn at regular reg. fee, I'm happy with them so that's all that matters to me and shouldn't be your concern.

You told me xyz was ugly too back in 2014 when I first joined NP but I tend to do my own thing and learn from my own mistakes if and when it happens. I personally try to look outside the box rather than being stuck in a box. No guts no glory!

Some here have made good points as to how it does sound funny sometimes. Like what's better games.web, or games.online. I too like games.online better but again I also like games.xyz, games.gdn and games.onl, so I guess I see things differently than you, what's new?

And let me put one more iron in the fire, I like .now much better than .web but JMO! :)

•••

No other extension will become like a brand. .com is part of jingles that many companies use in their commercials.

I never hear another extension being used as part of a companies jingle. You always hear ".com" in a commercial.

Kingof.top you seem to have way to much faith in every extension that comes out.

Lets wait 10+ years than we know it better ;)

Of course currently most jingles including '...visit us at whatever dot com' - but, there are others too.
Maybe I will create an '...visit us at whatever dot top' jingle.
And, there will be many different TLD Jingles in future, also '...visit us at whatever dot web'

Sry, that's complete nonsense - I don't have '(way to much) faith in every extension that comes out.'
There are (will be) more than 1 K new TLD's, I have 'faith' in about 5 % - 10 % of them.
You can read my past / current / future posts to see in which one.

Last edited:
•••
I think if they keep it low and DO NOT PUT UP THE PRICE after the first year this will help it, does anyone have an idea of pricing, some good points on this thread

I think / hope they will handle it like .top TLD (otherwise I am not interested):

• Friendly registering prices for 'normal' domains.
  • High 'first time purchase' prices for reserved 'premium' domains.
  • Friendly renewal prices, also for purchased 'premiums' (thats the fair way).

If we buy a car we have to pay a (relative) high price only one time at the beginning - but not every year (this are the 'yearly' fees).

Last edited:
•••
Looking at some of the new gtlds, no one is buying the "Premium" domains for $1000's in renewal fees each year. New gtlds aren't marketed to the general public and the general public isn't busy them, especially at the prices they are asking for them. The general public will just buy longer domains in .com with hyphens.
I hear this a lot...

domainnamewire.com/2016/03/23/rightside-premium/ says otherwise

As for .web, I only read page 1 of this thread but hopefully someone has pointed out that .web isn't a normal tld, it was a rougue tld for years so it will have many names taken before the sunrise or landrush. This isn't typical of a ngtld and it ISN'T a good thing.

Don't take my word for it, check wikipedia.

•••
This is the biggest puzzle for me. What is so special about .web.

Sad to see even legends like Domain king is believing in .web.
I agree with you and it really sounds like hype. .coms will always rule IMO

•••
.web is intuitive and short and everyone uses the term, it's on the web, I'm surfing the web, etc.

It can be used for anything on the web, so doesn't go well with just a few keywords like some other new gtld's.

It has potential to be one of the best new gtld's, and a good generic second choice after .com

We don't know which registry will be looking after .web yet, so pre-registrations at some places may not matter. You can bet there will be premium pricing, and a tiered release as they try to maximize the dollars out of .web registrations. At this point, I don't think there are any more possible new gtlds that could come out that are as generic and meaningful to the internet as .web

•••
domainnamewire.com/2016/03/23/rightside-premium/ says otherwise

Those sale are really terrible. An average price of only $372 for what they've held back from us as "Premium".

So out of their 39 extensions with 1000's and 1000's of reserved domains, they've only sold 1820 premiums.
$675K they couldn't get any closer to $1million.

Only 942 people bought into their "premiums".

$372 aver is not good.

I'm surfing the web

Are they still saying that in canada?

•••
.web makes sense. Three letters people use the term, best new gtld.

•••

World Wide Web

says it all...

•••
As an end user, dot web interests me but the keyword I want will be ridiculously expensive.

•••
As an end user, dot web interests me but the keyword I want will be ridiculously expensive.

They ALL will be.

wah wah wah

Maybe in a couple years after it doesn't sell, you could pick it up for something cheaper.

•••
the chinese like

.com because it is .communism ( chinas online market )

who will like .web ?

•••
To me web is a dated word. Who says web anymore? I remember having webtv as a teenager and beyond that i can't think of another popular use of the word.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
When you compare it to the new gtlds, it is "good".

When you compare it to every tld, it is redundant.

•••
Think .web will not do good. Simply because they have a lot of competition like .website, .site etc. It will confuse people in what to buy as they all basically mean the same thing.

Some of the good extensions that I believe will do good are .top, .gdn, .pro I think they are really good and will or are already attracting a lot of attention.

As per NTLD stats .top has sold over 1,811,870 over a year and things look good. Amazingly .gdn has sold 12000+ domains in just 3 weeks which is surprising but I think people are now getting to understand the true benefits of .gdn.

•••
Think .web will not do good. Simply because they have a lot of competition like .website, .site etc. It will confuse people in what to buy as they all basically mean the same thing.

Some of the good extensions that I believe will do good are .top, .gdn, .pro I think they are really good and will or are already attracting a lot of attention.

As per NTLD stats .top has sold over 1,811,870 over a year and things look good. Amazingly .gdn has sold 12000+ domains in just 3 weeks which is surprising but I think people are now getting to understand the true benefits of .gdn.

Comparing .web with .website and .site obviously puts .web in a good position, it is shorter. But it has little relevance today against all the other tlds availalbe.

.gdn does not seem to offer anything, I do not understand what you mean....just saying it after a domain name takes all the joy and fun out of the name. ie: purple.gdn - does not exactly leave you feeling creative once you have said the 'gdn' part.

•••
@disaac81 I meant I personally feel .top and .gdn are good....gdn is generic just like dot com and I was focusing on stats only..you know how gtlds are...

•••

What are the benfits of .gdn ?? ....... I have no idea what it is supposed to mean??

•••
What are the benfits of .gdn ?? ....... I have no idea what it is supposed to mean??

It's generic in nature like xyz. They say it means Global Domain Name therefore anything would work to the left of the dot.

•••
Not saying I like it but dot web sounds and makes more sense than most of these ngtlds. However if I had to choose between .web and .online I would pick .online.

•••
It would have to be WORD.abc.xyz not abcword.xyz otherwise they would have to buy millions of domains.

What sounds and looks better? Shop.xyz Shop.online or Shop.web

.online wins both as an extension and keyword! Sorry it just does.
From better to worst: Shop.online, Shop.xyz & shop.web.
Shop.xyz can have more purpose; because of the xyz. But shop.online is settled..period.

•••
I would probably buy a .pw before ever going near .gdn

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back