IT.COM

discuss Why Dot Web?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
In the past I have read that dot web will be one of the more successful New Gtlds? But we already have dot net which is basically frowned upon by most domainers .........why will dot web succeed when the other 'neutral' dot net seems doomed ??
~
Will you invest in this extension?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ok, but I am curious xyz vs web

Why is xyz better? You didn't give any reasons why you felt that way.

My reasons for .web:
most watched
probably will have most regs, chance for more development
1 syllable, word people know
Would bet it gets more than 8% of its regs from the U.S., something xyz is struggling with

I can't even come up with 1 reason why a business would prefer a .xyz over a .web if those were the only 2 options.
.WEB IS BETTER, .XYZ will merge with abc, like what google did, abc.xyz, there will be an extension .abc, but is not the same thing... .xyz is the end of the alphabet...
abcmail.xyz
abckids.xyz
abcschool.xyz
, i see it as a kids extension, or dictionary related becouse of the alphabet, so google did a smart move there by acquiring abc.xyz, abcWORD.xyz
i prefer
shop.web than shop.xyz, but if your kids,or alphabet related I prefer abcshop.xyz then shop.web,..diffrent in roduct or idea projection..

•••
I remember in 2000 when Image Online Design applied for .web and made many appeals to ICANN to increase the name space.
In the year 2000 AD 'web' was in the public vernacular. Most famously for surfing the web. World wide web www. It is redundant in 2016 we now dont use www. and say in common parlance, 'google it' or 'look on the net' or 'are you online'. Its a redundant non cool term and as such is being wildly over valued by domainers and registry(s), we just cant help ourselves. Need to view it from the public perspective, who don't care about all these new gTLDs, they just want simple known knowns. .com ccTLDs

•••
I would invest some risk capital in .web if I thought I would be able to register something good to the left of the dot. But i know they will be long gone (reserved) . I'm not bullish enough to buy them in the aftermarket.

•••
so google did a smart move there by acquiring abc.xyz, abcWORD.xyz

It would have to be WORD.abc.xyz not abcword.xyz otherwise they would have to buy millions of domains.

What sounds and looks better? Shop.xyz Shop.online or Shop.web

.online wins both as an extension and keyword! Sorry it just does.

•••
IMO .web just screams desktop PC Internet experience. It's a mobile-first Internet nowadays so it's kind of difficult to get excited about .web.

•••
I'm just going to put a check in the mail and send it to Rick. That might get me better ROI then buying a .web!

Oh I forgot, no one uses checks or the mail anymore, at least like they used to.

•••
I already have my eye on webwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebwebweb.web

so don't even try it! Just kidding KINGOFTOP, you can have it.

No one will be able to register a '24 times web' - .web domain ;)

What new extension that has come out is a success?
They all seem to have low sales compared to .com both in dollar amounts and numbers.
They all seem to be unknown to the general public and used very little by the general public.
More and more extensions will not help.

.top successfull*
.xyz successfull*
.web will be also, 100 %
* > 1 million registrations = definetely 'successfull' in my view (question is 'successfull for whom?')

Every single registration (except free domains) is (was) a sale.

Low compared to .com of course - but it's simply not compareable (time).
Unknown to the general public and... ...because of same reason (time).

I would love to see every word / letter / number / digit / sign from every language becoming a new TLD and thats what will happen in X or XX years.
Than all this discussions will have an end because everything is possible.

•••
No one will be able to register a 24 times web .web domain ;)

I know. I just copy and pasted it over and over because I know you will being going for the longest web.web

I thought it was pretty funny though. I'm trying to lighten the mood a little. Everyone on here is so passionate about domains and wants to get their points across and have everyone agree with them. I know I do.

Carry on

•••
i dont see any reason in buying any of them if you dont have the .com. period, give me my point

•••
•••
The general public doesn't think commercial when they hear or think of .com
It's a brand unto itself.

Again we already have .website sooo....

That's true - but .web will work in the same logic, it simply will 'turn into a brand' in short time.

.web to .com would be like .website to .commercial (if it would exist)
I (would) prefer the abbrivations in both 'cases'.

•••
I know. I just copy and pasted it over and over because I know you will being going for the longest web.web

I thought it was pretty funny though. I'm trying to lighten the mood a little. Everyone on here is so passionate about domains and wants to get their points across and have everyone agree with them. I know I do.

Carry on
Yes, I admit that I thought that but (like your webwebweb... statement) it's funny to go sarcastic in a serious way sometimes.
We are here to fight for our views, and ist our thing to see them as news.

.web simply describes what is allready clear and that's why people will love it because people love clearness.

Last edited:
•••
and theres also
.company
.co
.inc
.industries
.enterprises
.corp
.online
.zone
.internet
.cloud
.download
.site
.surf
.space

•••
so i have to own
word.site
word.website
word.web
????

•••
and theres also
.company
.co
.inc
.industries
.enterprises
.corp
.online
.zone
.internet
.cloud
.download
.site
.surf
.space

Many nice extensions but I think I would prefer .web at the end because it's like the summary of (most of) them.

•••
so i have to own
word.site
word.website
word.web
????

If you ask as a developer / company / end user you first have to own a good business (content).
If it works, than why not registering more than one version (as forwarding domains)?
You simply have to decide which one should be the 'main domain / website'.

•••
it will still create a lot of confusion...
i have myword.com, .info, site, zone, online, website, so it will be not cool if someone takes it in .web or in any other gTLD,
next thing you know 1000 different businesses in different countries with the same name...

•••
it will still create a lot of confusion...
i have myword.com, .info, site, zone, online, website, so it will be not cool if someone takes it in .web or in any other gTLD,
next thing you know 1000 different businesses in different countries with the same name...
I fully understand what you mean.
Of course it's not nice to see if someone have 'your' name in a similiar TLD.
It's a money thing at the end.

But again - what primarily counts is content.
While maybe 10 % are impressed by good domains (most domainers, me too) 90 % are only impressed by content and don't care about domains.
If you are the worlds best photographer you will be successfull with your content through any domain.
Than people will love your work - equal if you show it on .photos or on .web

And if you are successfull (in a financial way) you will have Money to get all (most) of your wished domains in similiar TLD for your name.

And the domain economy game continues.

Last edited:
•••
imho .web & .online is almost apple & apple. Each has its own pros & cons, both make sense if you want them to make sense.

I personally prefer .online to .web and imho web is definitely much much better than .xyz or .gdn or .website, .top, etc.

Time will tell...

•••
In that case im going to get offersityWEB.com or offersityWEBSITE.com or offersitySITE.COM or offersityONLINE.com
is a nerver end story

•••
imho .web & .online is almost apple & apple. Each has its own pros & cons, both make sense if you want them to make sense.

I personally prefer .online to .web and imho web is definitely much much better than .xyz or .gdn or .website, .top, etc.

Time will tell...

Thanks for your opinion.
'Time will tell' is allways true.

My .web 'prognosis / position' for day X: .top / .web / .com / .xyz / .net / .gdn / ...

•••
More food for thought. While I agree these terms out a bit outdated they're still familiar**. I see .online, I think American Online, or I'm sure people realize they're online when they're on the internet.

Marketing dollars. Most of the niche extensions, not even worth it. .kitchen, why spend marketing dollars when you can't expect to get a good return on something that might only ever get a few thousand regs. So the more general ones have a better chance.

Somebody searches for .com not available, these registrars are going to push the hell out of .web. So not only the registry, but registrars. Maybe GD gets a SB commercial for them. They're going to put the marketing dollars behind the ones that have the best chance. The most watched generally has the best chance.

I see .web as just an extension. Some see it as internet. Some see it short for website. Multi-use.

**back to familar. Google Exact Match, Worldwide

web - 7,480,000 - people know this term, more than the next 4 terms combined
net - 5,000,000
online - 1,220,000
gdn - 60,500
xyz - 110,000

•••
That's true - but .web will work in the same logic, it simply will 'turn into a brand' in short time.

Just like .mobi (sarcasm implied)

No other extension will become like a brand. .com is part of jingles that many companies use in their commercials.

I never hear another extension being used as part of a companies jingle. You always hear ".com" in a commercial.

Kingof.top you seem to have way to much faith in every extension that comes out. The registries must love you.
web - 7,480,000 - people know this term, more than the next 4 terms combined
net - 5,000,000
online - 1,220,000
gdn - 60,500
xyz - 110,000

Where are you getting those numbers? There are 300million people in the USA and only 1.2 million know what online is? Only 7.5million know web? Something doesn't equate.

Somebody searches for .com not available, these registrars are going to push the hell out of .web

Do you really think that when we search for a .web on day one of launch that anything good will be available? Maybe, but I bet anything halfway good will be reserved. A couple days after launch the table scraps will be reg'd and that "Somebody/end user" won't be able to reg anything good in .com or .web

What's the point if anything good is being reserved by the registry/Rick? You/the middleman has been cut out of the domain business by someone who started in this business long before most of us.

Oh I'm gonna get all the 3L.web and 3N.web and then try to sell them to everyone else. Wrong. They will be held back/premium this go around. Who wins? The registry/Rick.

•••
Where are you getting those numbers? There are 300million people in the USA and only 1.2 million know what online is? Only 7.5million know web? Something doesn't equate.

**back to familar. Google Exact Match, Worldwide

How many times those terms are getting searched.

"Do you really think that when we search for a .web on day one of launch that anything good will be available?"

Only saying the same thing. Will be most popular.....of new gtlds. Sales will reflect that. Probably the good keywords will be snatched up just like every other extension. Have no idea if they (whoever that turns out to be) will keep some for themselves or just let them out there, and let domainers fight for them via auction.

Last edited:
•••
I think if they keep it low and DO NOT PUT UP THE PRICE after the first year this will help it, does anyone have an idea of pricing, some good points on this thread

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back