Dynadot

discuss What's the "N scale" now?

NameSilo
Watch

21x20

Domainer Since '95 #oldschool #orjustoldTop Member
Impact
I've suggested in various other threads that N.com's represent an emerging digitally currency... a little like a bitcoin, but more property oriented given that some are actually used and some are just accumulated or held in portfolios as liquid assets. Unlike bitcoin, numeric .com's can't be broken by decimal points. In order for the 'currency' to expands, it moves out a 10's place.

For example, many of us old timers remember a point here where you could buy 3N.com's for $300. Then came a point when they were $3,000 and suddenly 4N's were $300. There were threads on how people were crazy for buying them. ;) 4N's then became worth $4,000 and people started paying $300 for 5N's -- and of course those people, too, were crazy for getting involved and buying those. :-D Mediocre 5N's became worth $2,000 and people are paying ~$150 for mildly good 6N's, because they're still crazy... more for better patterns.

So what's the "N scale" look like around now?

3N = $ 500,000
4N = $ 75,000
5N = $ 3,000
6N = $ 200
7N = $ ??

The general gist is there ... it's playing out a lot like an expanding currency.

Obviously, these are rough guesses on averages for better names in each genre. You could certainly argue that if you're comparing $500k 3N sales, then they could all be bumped a little and the 6N sales should be considered on the $1k sales that have been happening. Certainly better 7N that end in double or triple 888's have some value at this point. Who knows exactly -- someone could probably find better averages across the N's if they really wanted to do a paper on this. *chuckle*

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like the idea of short domains, especially N domains, representing emerging digital currency. It probably explains what is behind huge surge in short domains prices this year.

With domains in $xx price range however you need to take into consideration renewal costs, thus until the general price level for such domains exceed $100, you may see that potential future renewal costs will continue to drag their price level down. Above $100 floor for a respective domain mask imho the renewal costs will not seriously influence the price level.

By the way, in your table above, I would not exclude N-N.com and N-N-N.com domains.

According to http://www.3character.com/price-guide.html, N-N.com floor is $4,750, i,e, it is placed between 4N and 5N (although, I would expect to see it between 3N and 4N).
N-N-N.com shall be imho respectively in terms of prices probably between 5N and 6N (or potentially between 5N and 6N).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back