NameSilo

discuss The future of numerics - Where it's headed. The trend...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Here is the latest observation that I can personally see in numerics. It seems that 7n .com is going to have a serious problem selling unless it's an ultra premium of a string of maybe five of the same digit. So overall, it looks to me that 7n on any extension won't make it at this point. I'm disappointed in this as I have quite a few 7n. A complete flop for the most part.

It really looks like 6n is the cap at this point, and even with that, it will have to be an ultra premium with a really good pattern with triples and quads. So on any extension up to 5n - 6n, it will probably be okay, but it has to be an ultra premium pattern. So if it doesn't have a triple + double within the pattern, or better, it may falter.

A random 5n .co, .biz, .info, .org also probably won't do good. If it's a random number with a 0 or 4 in it, it may not make it. I'm not even sure a random 4n containing a 0 or 4 in .co, .biz, .info, org, etc... will make it. A random 5n with a 0, not a chance in my opinion, unless it's a .com, and maybe a .net.

So the bottom line, unless you have a 6n or less with an amazing ultra premium pattern, everything outside of that may falter pretty hard.

Like I said, I have several 7n's, and I believe that was a mistake at this point. I hope I'm proven wrong. Anything other than ultra premium patterns 6n and under are going to have a problem. I'll bet even an ultra premium 5n - 6n .co will do okay (i don't own any), but a random 5n .co with a 0 in it will never sell.

Ultra premiums are a niche of it's own regardless of the extension, and I believe that's where the future is headed. This also means the days of hand reg'ing and flipping are now gone as well.

Any thoughts?

Ya I know, there is a huge demand for 7n yada yada yada.... let me know how that one works out for you,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain names were supposed to replace IP addresses to help make them memorable - the current run on numeric domains challenges this convention, which I guess was my point. My odometer doesn't go past 6N so I'm out past this point anyway .. but that's just me :)

•••
Domain names were supposed to replace IP addresses to help make them memorable - the current run on numeric domains challenges this convention, which I guess was my point. My odometer doesn't go past 6N so I'm out past this point anyway .. but that's just me :)

I think it's easily debatable that 8932398.com or 8997779.com is easier to remember than 209.134.198.253... And again, two of those you can actually move if you change hosting providers. I'm curious if you're priced out using just an IP from a host given that they usually share an IP with many many sites.

All the same, you're still ignoring the cultural differences in societies where numbers mean a lot in one and less in the other.

Anyway... :) I think it's nifty to be hip and trendy now to say numerics have gone too far. But to say that's because IPs are suddenly cooler ... Well, it's not a serious statement. ;)

•••
All the same, you're still ignoring the cultural differences in societies where numbers mean a lot in one and less in the other.

Oh I've gotten a first hand education in the importance of numbers to the Chinese. When I went to Beijing, the vendors selling sim cards had their numbers on a big white board all divvied up - repeating patterns / easily memorable numbers at the top of the price chart, the random strings at the bottom. That's something I haven't seen anywhere else.

But investing in something without a good understanding of the underlying market is a good way to get burnt. And that goes beyond "numbers are important in China" .. I mean the whole phenomena of what's happening right now with the Chinese, where they're parking their cash and if this turns into Bitcoin 2.0 (in which case we're still in the runup stage before the market settles). You seem more bullish, and I don't doubt your reasoning, but my limit is now at 6N as that will be safer harbor than longer patterns.

•••
Oh I've gotten a first hand education in the importance of numbers to the Chinese. When I went to Beijing, the vendors selling sim cards had their numbers on a big white board all divvied up - repeating patterns / easily memorable numbers at the top of the price chart, the random strings at the bottom. That's something I haven't seen anywhere else.

But investing in something without a good understanding of the underlying market is a good way to get burnt. And that goes beyond "numbers are important in China" .. I mean the whole phenomena of what's happening right now with the Chinese, where they're parking their cash and if this turns into Bitcoin 2.0 (in which case we're still in the runup stage before the market settles). You seem more bullish, and I don't doubt your reasoning, but my limit is now at 6N as that will be safer harbor than longer patterns.

I've been buying and selling numerics for over a decade. Yes indeed, the China phenom is a new aspect that a lot of folks are jumping on board with. And admittedly, I'm very much funding my expansion from the profit side of this, having done it so long.

I have, however, always advocated better patterns over shortness. IMHO people who are buying random numbers (with 0's and 4's) in 6N over better patterns (and 8's) in 7N are on the wrong side of the "trade".

•••
Reg more 5 & 6 # dot co!

•••
I've been buying and selling numerics for over a decade. Yes indeed, the China phenom is a new aspect that a lot of folks are jumping on board with. And admittedly, I'm very much funding my expansion from the profit side of this, having done it so long.

I have, however, always advocated better patterns over shortness. IMHO people who are buying random numbers (with 0's and 4's) in 6N over better patterns (and 8's) in 7N are on the wrong side of the "trade".

I usually agree with your posts, but not with this one ;) Although I noticed you always promoting the pattern thing :)

Yes, patterns are very important, but where to stop? I would rather own the worst 5N.com than the best pattern in anything over 10N.com.

For example, I believe that 04104.com is better and more valuable than 7888788878887.com. However, 1122338.com is better and more valuable than 04104.com ;)

Patterns do matter, but which type of patterns and where to stop? While AAABBBC is very good in 7N.com space it don't interests me at all in 11N.com space.

I would say in 7N.com is any pattern good, in 8.com it should be stronger pattern, while in 9N.com and 10N.com it really must be turbo strong patter to drive the value of domain higher than the value of the worst 5N.com. I don't care about any pattern in above 10N.com space.

•••
Bruce Lee said "Be Water" ......this means suit the situation, 7n's? .....Buy/Reg ..... Hold ......Sell
~
Let a few of these "leak" to help with cash flow but do remember these are still early days on the internet and .com numerics will always be the standard

•••
I usually agree with your posts, but not with this one ;) Although I noticed you always promoting the pattern thing :)

Yes, patterns are very important, but where to stop? I would rather own the worst 5N.com than the best pattern in anything over 10N.com.

For example, I believe that 04104.com is better and more valuable than 7888788878887.com. However, 1122338.com is better and more valuable than 04104.com ;)

Patterns do matter, but which type of patterns and where to stop? While AAABBBC is very good in 7N.com space it don't interests me at all in 11N.com space.

I would say in 7N.com is any pattern good, in 8.com it should be stronger pattern, while in 9N.com and 10N.com it really must be turbo strong patter to drive the value of domain higher than the value of the worst 5N.com. I don't care about any pattern in above 10N.com space.

Ok but let's admit there is some bit of unrationality in your post, though. ;)

You can't realistically compare 04104.com with 7888788878887.com in a vacuum. Obviously, you would rather own the $1k domain over the reg fee domain. The problem is if you can't afford the 5N...

Of course -- in a price vacuum, I'd rather own 888.com over 04104.com. But is that a rational comparison? ;) No, of course not!

You are better to compare names in the same price spectrum. A 5N and 12N haven't been in the same price spectrum in years. ;)

As for N length and patterns, for sure the "trick" is looking at the smallest possible subsets of any name group. I would venture a guess that 8888888888.com even at 10N is worth something more than reg fee, right? It isn't just about length.

•••
Ok but let's admit there is some bit of unrationality in your post, though. ;)

You can't realistically compare 04104.com with 7888788878887.com in a vacuum. Obviously, you would rather own the $1k domain over the reg fee domain. The problem is if you can't afford the 5N...

Of course -- in a price vacuum, I'd rather own 888.com over 04104.com. But is that a rational comparison? ;) No, of course not!

You are better to compare names in the same price spectrum. A 5N and 12N haven't been in the same price spectrum in years. ;)

As for N length and patterns, for sure the "trick" is looking at the smallest possible subsets of any name group. I would venture a guess that 8888888888.com even at 10N is worth something more than reg fee, right? It isn't just about length.

Maybe I did not express myself well :)

In short, I wanted to say that pattern do matter, but we should draw a line and say when it is enough (after which length of Ns.com) and where ANY 5N.com becomes more valuable than good pattern in Ns.com.

On the other side, current floor value of 5N.coms is around $600 and floor of 6N.com is around $20. I agree some 9N or 10N.coms with good pattern are still available at reg fee and they might worth more than $20 after few months, but in that case the floor for 6N.coms might also be higher than $20 later ;)

•••
I'm finding in my 5n dot co numerics that more traffic is on ones like 8181n, 5454n, 2288n , 8866n

•••
this all reminds me a lot of the elementary playground and all the kids are trading chips, marbles etc.

•••
There is still a 7n buyout in progress? Good grief. Scary stuff. Those ones listed have good patterns, and are only 25 out of around 2 million. Whatever is left that people are buying in that buyout is a complete waste of money and hope people take a break on that so-called buyout. Whatever is bought right now will never sell, trust me. I really hope people aren't that foolish.

All buyouts have been completed in my opinion. Any future ones are a complete waste of money.

People think if 7n is bought out they will be rich? It doesn't work that way. On that pig, even if it was bought out the vast majority will never ever sell, not in this life time.

Last month, somebody was pumping 7N by releasing a trial balloon regarding some rich Chinese investors who were planning to buyout 7N.

That fizzled out pretty fast; no one is going to pay $$$$ for random 7N.

It was a dud out of the gate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back