Dynadot

.info What would u want? ...and high end hyphenated .com or a solid .org .net .info

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
what would u want? ...a high end hyphenated .com or a solid .org .net .info

This is just a simple question but it could have an indepth answer. (Although I am happy with just a "i hate hyphens" or "hyphens are getiing more popular")

What would u rather own.....(the best example i could think of right now and I took it from dnjournal.com sales)...

FlashGames.com sold for $226,950 at Moniker/ DomainSystems

What would u choose next....and possibly why?

Flash-Games.com
FlashGames.net
FlashGames.org
FlashGames.info

A bit of side info...my first sale was a hyphenated domain name for low $XXX
Since I am so late getting into the domain game I am not shying away from hyphens although i know some hard core .com'ers like to keep it pure.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ready for the ultime B@$$T@RD response? B-)

Both :tu:

If I HAD to choose one or the other, I'd usually go for the hyphenated .com , so long as the names were generic. If it was something specific that really couldn't be co-developed alongside the non-hyphenated version, then I'd be looking towards the .us/.org/.net/info

-Allan :gl:

•••
I do see your point and i do agree that there is a big difference between the generic .com and the market focused .com.....I guess my question was based on the generic .com line.....with a market focused domain name there is not much room for a hyphen especially with high end promotion......I have read in a few posts(on this great site or somewhere else I don't remember) that people(no quotes or specific refrences) refuse to accept that hyphens are even capable of recieving results on a search engine.....

In some instances on domains that I have researched through google (not that it is the defining tool) close to the same amount of results have shown up....for example....

platinum bullion(quoted in the search) returned. Results 1 - 10 of about 1,070,000
platinum-bullion(quoted in the search) returned Results 1 - 10 of about 1,070,000

They came up the same....i just did the search while i wrote this post and bought the hyphenated .com.....that is the point...did i miss read something.......or am i way off on my thought process or the way a search engines works or is my computer messed up?....If it came out the same for generics then it is better than a .net .org .info....right?(generally based...knowing google is not the end all test for a domain name)

•••
I perfer to have no hyphen's.

•••
First, from my experience, google treats a hypen and space exactly the same when in quotes.

Also, I agree with Allan. If you can reg the hyphen and other TLD's, do both. For a developed site, the extra few $ a year will be worth it. However, I would not USE the hyphen except as a parked domain. My reasoning is as follows when verbalized:

"Visit our website at Flash hyphen games dot com"
"Visit our website at Flash dash games dot com"
"Visit our website at Flashgames dot net"

Either way, if you directly compete with the .com owner, you will likely lose some traffic to them. However, it sounds strange to say dash or hyphen when pronouncing it, even if just answering the phone. You can always emphasize the TLD to make it better understood it's not .com. For example:

1. Just verbally emphasize the TLD Flashgames.NET
2. Use the TLD in marketing. "Flashgames.net, The Network for flash games." or "Flashgames.biz, number one in the flashgames BIZiness."
3. Repeat the name in radio type ads. "Flashgames.org...that's flashgames.org"

Actually I think in most cases, I would rather add a word and use a .com rather than use a hyphen. Such as FlashGamesPlus.com. In some ways this is less generic and more likely to be able to be trademarked.

•••
I really do think 'it depends' and in the example you have put in your original message I would go for flashgames.net or flashgames.org. Aesthetically it just looks better than the hyphen .com, better than the advantage of having .com here.

•••
•••
For development I would go for hyphen .com (for your example above) Hyphens do fine in search engines - however I would go for .org only if it was an organisation related site.

flashgames.org just looks plain silly to me and IMO a bad choice of extension for your example keywords.

•••
Javaflashgame.com is available. 1560 searches/month at overture for "java flash game". Not sure if it's worth anything or not.

FlashGames.net sounds better.

•••
I would go for FlashGames.net, much better than the .info and .org names in this case. I would go for the hyphenated .com only if I had a choice between FlashGames.org, FlashGames.info or Flash-Games.com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back