NameSilo

.info .ORG or .INFO ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FUTRS

Future Trend Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
It seems the .org extension has been dying for a while and now I'm beginning to wonder if the .INFO extension has begun to pass it by.

I know most of you will say ' it depends on what the name is', but I mean more of a general statement... Say for example... products or services, what would u rather have?

I think the dot info has actually gained google rank over the years and is doing quite nicely... I say this as pure speculation and not with any facts....anybody else agree or have an opinion on this?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If anything .ORG has gained not lost ground over recent years. It is probably the best ROI of any extension I deal in.

There are instances where certain terms fit .INFO well or don't fit .ORG well, but in general .ORG is in far higher demand.

Brad

•••
.org is good for seo purposes
.info is very good for building informational websites - my 2nd favorite extension after .com - yes, the low price is an important factor as well

•••
It seems the .org extension has been dying for a while and now I'm beginning to wonder if the .INFO extension has begun to pass it by....

anybody else agree or have an opinion on this?

I have an opinion on that.

Your statement is so far away from being 'correct' that the light from 'correct' would take a billion years just to reach wherever the hell that statement is.

•••
.org is stronger then ever and in some cases better than .net

I've sold more .org than .net in the past months I think organization .org has a more trusting relationship with visitors.

•••
I think the dot info has actually gained google rank over the years and is doing quite nicely... I say this as pure speculation and not with any facts....anybody else agree or have an opinion on this?

Extensions can't "gain google rank".

•••
I think .org is definitely better than .info, but many tend to consider the latter better than .net, so: COM -> ORG -> INFO -> NET

•••
.INFO is above .NET? On what planet is that?

COM/NET/ORG then all the rest.

Brad

I think .org is definitely better than .info, but many tend to consider the latter better than .net, so: COM -> ORG -> INFO -> NET

•••
I happened to be listening to that, for some particular niches at least. Anyway it is my opinion that .net is extremely underrated compared to its .com counterpart.

Brad

•••
•••
I have an opinion on that.

Your statement is so far away from being 'correct' that the light from 'correct' would take a billion years just to reach wherever the hell that statement is.

hey man .. it's a question.. relax.. i didn't 'declare' anything - i asked a question and asked for opinions, that's all.

and as mentioned, not factual ..

.. but i think what brought me to this question in the first place was because i've noticed a lot of good names that are ONLY available in the .org extension... i'm sure the $1 sale price from godaddy helps, but i could also be wrong about this, and i don't know where i would look something like this up, but has there been in increase in dot-info sites in the higher pages within the last year or so? because it "SEEMS" that i have visited more dot info sites than org sites recently.

Maybe i meant it more in popularity than monetarily, ya dig ?

thanks everyone :)

•••
In my experience, .org is slightly better than .info.

•••
•••
for seo go with these: 1.com 2.net 3.org

•••

Brad

So do agree there with Brad.. and yes .org has gained alot of ground in last few years :)

•••
for seo go with these: 1.com 2.net 3.org

For SEO it does not really matter what domain extension you have. Whether you have .org or .info you still need to work on seo like anybody else. Nobody would get special treatment from the search engines.

Whether to buy .org or .info it really depends on the domain name and the site you are planning to develop and also personal preferences.

•••
heaps of .info regs because of the cheap price, many drop after first year of reg because harder to sell

•••
heaps of .info regs because of the cheap price, many drop after first year of reg because harder to sell

In overall volumes that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time.

.info has been the fastest growing gTLD outside .com for quite a few months now. The growth is due to increased new registrations but also fewer drops.

If you look at the gap between the "green line" and the "red line" in this graph it shows more names are being kept each year.

HosterStats.com: Detailed .info Statistics 2010

Last edited:
•••
info has severe credibility problems because of the low entry costs and spammers using it over and over again.

If you're building a viable website I guess you're fine with just about any extension but anyone that believes info is in any ways shape or form better than org or net is a fool. That's the short of it.

•••
I really like my .org's & really think it's a cultural thing. Allways thought (as a web-user) that .net look cheap...

•••
If someone really thinks that .info is better than .org or .net in general, (not talking about any specific keyword), then s/he needs to reconsider his interest in the domaining business.

•••
In overall volumes that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time.

.info has been the fastest growing gTLD outside .com for quite a few months now. The growth is due to increased new registrations but also fewer drops.

If you look at the gap between the "green line" and the "red line" in this graph it shows more names are being kept each year.

HosterStats.com: Detailed .info Statistics 2010

i let mine drop because i can't get any interest in them , i think .org is way better from a sales point , too many people are down on .info for it to really flourish

•••
info ... spammers using it over and over again.
The 2009 malware report concluded that .com domains were more than twice as likely to be used for spam, phishing, and general malware than were .info web addresses. These findings were statistically valid. The .com sample was more than 15 million .com domains and the .info sample was 601,629.

My personal experience supports these same results with many more .com domains being utilized for fraud and abuse.

•••
The 2009 malware report concluded that .com domains were more than twice as likely to be used for spam, phishing, and general malware than were .info web addresses. These findings were statistically valid. The .com sample was more than 15 million .com domains and the .info sample was 601,629.

Of course .com is going to be over-represented in the total number of risky/questionably registrations. .com is grossly overrepresented in TLD registries, period. It's like pointing out that most armed robbers in Samoa are Samoan. The question isn't aggregate numbers. It's risk proportion. When you find out that the other 48% of robberies in Samoa are being committed by the 12% of the population that hails from Guam, therein lies the 'issue'.

I don't know what sort of mathematical wizardry McAfee came up with to 'weigh' their findings, but the raw math is fairly clear.

15,440,000 .com addresses tested. 918,000 "risky"- about 1 in 17.
601,000 .info addresses tested. 137,000 'risky'- about 1 in 4.
(p12 of that PDF you posted)

•••
Why wouldnt .com be used for abuse as it is regarded as the #1 domain?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back