Dynadot

opinion What Does The Domain World Need? (That we don't have now)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
Looking for creative ideas. What service, product, etc. would you like to see that does not currently exist in the domain world?

I am thinking of doing an article that would be a compilation of several ideas. If I mention your idea, I would, of course, credit you for proposing it.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Thanks,
Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

I'd say, the domain world needs a "School of Common Sense"

it would be a place to learn some basic logic, reading and comprehension abilities.
ie:
how to find fallacies in arguments, statements, etc.
using "if and then" as process of elimination, in search of truths
learning how to read "in-between the lines"
"doing the due"
etc.

i wouldn't be the one to teach it, but from observation, i think some could use it before becoming an "end-user" of some of the existing or new products and services in the domain world.

imo...

•••
It would be nice if you could set a BIN price at the registrar level (like nameservers) and it would propagate all marketplaces and registrars. That way you didn't have to update prices on all networks.

•••
It would be nice if you could set a BIN price at the registrar level (like nameservers) and it would propagate all marketplaces and registrars. That way you didn't have to update prices on all networks.
....then everybody would become a domainer, potentially. lol 😆

•••
I know Squadhelp are rolling out some similar features, but what we (sellers) need is a marketplace that gives us lots of lovely data.

Who has viewed our names?
Where are they from?
What did they search for in the marketplace (keyword, category)?
Why didn’t they buy the name after clicking on the listing (maybe via feedback form)?

There’s still too much guesswork, in my opinion, when it comes to judging the quality of our names, aside from phoney visit/traffic stats and lowball offers.

So….a marketplace that values the seller’s experience as much as the buyer’s would be welcome!

•••
how about a domain trading service like i used to collect baseball cards in 80s and was waiting for such with nbatopshot digital assets.. offers for domains for me are seldom these days..

•••
One idea I had was a marketplace specifically tailored to .org domain names. Yes you can list them on the big general purpose marketplaces, and a few get selected on SH, but say a foundation, distributed organization, nonprofit, institute, research group, etc. specifically looking for an .org might like idea of a site that catered just in .org, probably a curated site like the brandable marketplaces. Or does this already exist for .org? Yes, I do know you could select .org as TLD on the big marketplaces like Dan and Sedo but still think might be a place for a curated .org marketplace.
Bob

•••
A tool where I can paste a list of, let's say, 150 .com domains, and see what other extensions are developed, for each name.

•••
A tool where I can paste a list of, let's say, 150 .com domains, and see what other extensions are developed, for each name.
Nameworth's appraisal tool has this feature. Works pretty well.

•••
Looking for creative ideas. What service, product, etc. would you like to see that does not currently exist in the domain world?

I am thinking of doing an article that would be a compilation of several ideas. If I mention your idea, I would, of course, credit you for proposing it.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Thanks,
Bob
You and I may have mutual feelings about this one @Bob Hawkes (Crispr). Then again, not exactly a domain product / service. Whatever the service, a donation of profits to medical research

Last edited:
•••
You and I may have mutual feelings about this one @Bob Hawkes (Crispr). Then again, not exactly a domain product / service
Although, the idea of narrowly specialized marketplaces might be the idea, in this case a marketplace around CRISPR and related biotech ideas.

Clearly not feasible as a one-of, but if a marketplace made it self really an umbrella of marketplaces, using the same technology across many narrow marketplaces, might well work. I think it should be curated by someone with expertise in each narrow field as well as someone else with brand/naming expertise, or a small group. Go to one place to find the best names in that narrow niche.

Bob

•••
Although, the idea of narrowly specialized marketplaces might be the idea, in this case a marketplace around CRISPR and related biotech ideas.

Clearly not feasible as a one-of, but if a marketplace made it self really an umbrella of marketplaces, using the same technology across many narrow marketplaces, might well work. I think it should be curated by someone with expertise in each narrow field as well as someone else with brand/naming expertise, or a small group. Go to one place to find the best names in that narrow niche.

Bob
I like that

•••
"School of Common Sense"
This doesn't seem particularly related to the domain world. It would be far more general and broad, IMO.
It would probably be good if more "critical thinking" was taught in schools. But is that the goal? Maybe it is seen as preferable to have people who just listen to what they're told and don't question things too much. Which indeed causes some problems afterwards.

•••
Buy Requests Portal(s)

in other words:

Domain Buy Marketplace(s)

•••
This seems a GREAT idea! And it also seems pretty simple. Yes, for example, you would just have to add some txt files at the DNS level. All is really needed is a clear definition of how and what to do and that marketplaces use it. They can recognize you with a customer string like they already do for verification.

@Bob Hawkes You should definitely consider writing on this, IMHO.

•••
The two below are required :

1 - international professional outbound service company that contact (call/email ) as much possible targeted endusers around the world and offer them domains with prices and can negotiate.

2 - international marketplace for wanted domains by serious endusers around the world . endusers can submit their requirement and domainers can submit the matching domains . AGAIN i mean marketplace for endusers only with endusers prices , NOT for domainers blood suckers .

NOTE : squadhelp contest is not upto the standard and many of contest holders are cheap and small startups companies .

Last edited:
•••
The two below are required :

1 - international professional outbound service company that contact (call/email ) as much possible targeted endusers around the world and offer them domains with prices and can negotiate.

2 - international marketplace for wanted domains by serious endusers around the world . endusers can submit their requirement and domainers can submit the matching domains . AGAIN i mean marketplace for endusers only with endusers prices , NOT for domainers blood suckers .

NOTE : squadhelp contest is not upto the standard and many of contest holders are cheap and small startups companies .

I like the idea of 2. But I fear it would be swamped by spammers swamping endusers with irrelevant domains.

•••
I don’t think we need any more paid services. Too many of those allready. The only thing any of us is need is good names and more end users.

•••
End to End encrypted access between the saler and the buyer across all domain landing pages in all marketplace for easy negotiations.

•••
I would love to see a CMS system that acts like a Channel Manager - like in Hospitality, where hotels change the rate on their backend and Channel Manager change the prices on all marketplaces they are selling at). That CMS can be linked to registrars as well to change settings in one place (and also because some registrars are marketplaces as well). And third - better analytic tools - relatively accurate visits info (time on site, origin on the visit, marketplaces clicks ).

Quite unrealistic, I know. :)

•••
This doesn't seem particularly related to the domain world.
Hi

stick around for 20 years....
reading and observing some of the posts, replies and other crazy stuff that goes on and you see the need.

imo...

•••
RIght. I'm not denying that. Just saying I don't think it's better elsewhere.
Hence "not particularly related to the domain world".
This isn't the subject of the thread, though.

•••
how to find fallacies in arguments, statements, etc.
using "if and then" as process of elimination, in search of truths
learning how to read "in-between the lines"
I realize not exactly what you are proposing, but there are some online resources that try to help people with things like this and promote evidence-based understanding and critical thinking. For example, I have heard good things about a free Canadian MOOC from U Alberta. This is from description:
“It may expose some of your biases and it may also help you recognize the value of challenging your biases by being skeptical, asking questions, and evaluating evidence. It will change the way you interact with and absorb content on social media. It will make you realize that these skills can—and should—be used every day.”
Since not a domain-specific resource, and free from a nonprofit, I hope I am allowed to provide link: https://www.ualberta.ca/science/news/2020/october/science-literacy-online.html
I have not yet personally taken the course, but as said, have heard positive things from people who have completed it, and am familiar with work of one of the award-winning experts who deliver the course. The course is free and complete online at your own pace, requiring about 35 hr in total.

I tend to agree with others that while the idea of something to help people apply common sense, and to think critically, is definitely important in domaining, it is perhaps not specific enough to domaining to fit. I'm still thinking about the suggestion, though, and looking at what is already available along the lines.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
FYI, I have been communicating with @twiki , and I believe this is something that will be implemented at https://dotible.com/ sometime in the future.

•••
1. No renewals, only one time ownership fee and ownership transfer fee can be charged.
2. facility to negotiate the equity + cash terms + legal contract.
3. facility to detect fake users or BIDs or enquires.
4. facility to detect and indicate TM/risk of a domain.
5. Better way of monetizing domains, MVP as a service.
6. Facility to pitch high net worth domains to Investor or VC circle.
7. Facility to reach startup circle.

•••
Back