Dynadot

opinion What Does The Domain World Need? (That we don't have now)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
Looking for creative ideas. What service, product, etc. would you like to see that does not currently exist in the domain world?

I am thinking of doing an article that would be a compilation of several ideas. If I mention your idea, I would, of course, credit you for proposing it.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Thanks,
Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1) AI powered tool that can parse a big list of domains and find best domains to buy with highest selling probability based on domains parameters patterns derived from historical sales data. The output should not be appraisal values but a sorted list with selling probability.

2) A study for estimating STR for every price range, I tried to do this but lack of data made it difficult (I used dofo & namebio) and the results I got where a bit random above 10k+ ranges.

Last edited:
•••
1) AI powered tool that can parse a big list of domains and find best domains to buy with highest selling probability based on domains parameters patterns derived from historical sales data. The output should not be appraisal values but a sorted list with selling probability.

2) A study for estimating STR for every price range, I tried to do this but lack of data made it difficult (I used dofo & namebio) and the results I got where a bit random above 10k+ ranges.
1666836940962.png

•••
I'd like to see credit lines made available by largest registrars to high quality domain investors.

In-house credit line could be based on existing portfolio, past sales on platform, and purchases of domainer.
A registry like GoDaddy has the economies of scale to offer credit line based on the value of a domainers portfolio.

This valuation should be based on GD's "app appraisal" tool. They claim it is of the highest quality, of course you learn quickly even they don't value their own in-house appraisal tool as much as they claim.

Try to buying of their domain names based on their own appraisal tool, good luck:ROFL:

A credit line extension based on the value of your portfolio at their in-house appraisal would be innovative. Of course, this credit line would be secured by your portfolio.

*extension amount based on in-house appraisal value at a percentage
*avail to customers with proven track record of sales and paid for purchases
*limit credit line purchases to domains registered or sold on the platform
*portfolio is security against non-payment
* higher the credit line, the more manual the valuation needed

For example, say a domainer has 1,000 domains registered at GoDaddy, sold 20 domains over the course of time on the platform for a sum of $50K, made purchases from registrar of $25K over time, and GD extends an account credit line of $10K. As credit line is paid back, over time line is increased.

Just brain-storming.

I agree!!! I’m shocked there is no domain-backed lending solution out there. When I buy a house and reno it, I can easily get it re-appraised and then do a cash out refinance. The name of the game in real estate is leverage (many investors in USA and Canada own properties with $0 of their own money). For domains, there is no leverage… you buy a $1000 domain you’ve got $1000 tied up in it until it sells. Being able to borrow against the value of a domain would allow domainers to build a portfolio much faster.

In real estate, banks usually only lend up to 70% of equity to keep a safe margin. For domains, you could keep it super safe and lend up to 40% of appraised value (and could do conservative manual appraisals). You could also require domainers to sell $10k+ on your platform before being able to borrow, so that you’re only dealing with serious partners. If I have 10 premium 4L .com worth $500 each (wholesale), you could lend me $200 on each and would never ever lose if you held them all as collateral. I could then use those funds to acquire more domains, and could then borrow against the new ones, etc.

Would be super profitable for the registrar / lender too. They could charge a high interest rate like 10% (which is steep for a secured loan), and would also get the renewal fees and commission from platform sales etc.

Last edited:
•••
I agree!!! I’m shocked there is no domain-backed lending solution out there. When I buy a house and reno it, I can easily get it re-appraised and then do a cash out refinance. The name of the game in real estate is leverage (many investors in USA and Canada own properties with $0 of their own money). For domains, there is no leverage… you buy a $1000 domain you’ve got $1000 tied up in it until it sells. Being able to borrow against the value of a domain would allow domainers to build a portfolio much faster.

In real estate, banks usually only lend up to 70% of equity to keep a safe margin. For domains, you could keep it super safe and lend up to 40% of appraised value (and could do conservative manual appraisals). You could also require domainers to sell $10k+ on your platform before being able to borrow, so that you’re only dealing with serious partners. If I have 10 premium 4L .com worth $500 each (wholesale), you could lend me $200 on each and would never ever lose if you held them all as collateral. I could then use those funds to acquire more domains, and could then borrow against the new ones, etc.

Would be super profitable for the registrar / lender too. They could charge a high interest rate like 10% (which is steep for a secured loan), and would also get the renewal fees and commission from platform sales etc.
I remember Rob Monster at Epik touting a service to do just that a couple of years back. It was going to match lenders with borrowers. I think I even pre-registered as someone who would possibly be interested in investing or borrowing (depending on timing). But I can't see that happening anymore. Sadly trust is very low with Epik these days after the hack and the current Masterbucks debacle. Maybe someone else will take the idea on one day.

•••
Looking for creative ideas. What service, product, etc. would you like to see that does not currently exist in the domain world?

I am thinking of doing an article that would be a compilation of several ideas. If I mention your idea, I would, of course, credit you for proposing it.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Thanks,
Bob

We need a comprehensive plan to raise awareness for the many different domain extensions out there. To increase the value of the many different extensions.

•••
Domain Sales Affiliate Network

Domain name marketing needs to go beyond preaching-to-the-choir landers, and domainer outbound.

Powered by MRSS (Media RSS) feeds of domains for sale, a Domain Sales Affiliate Network would target and serve the Out-of-Home digital signage market: billboards to vehicles, movie theaters, hotels, airports, stadiums, sports bars, waiting rooms (doctors' office to car dealerships), retail store screens, and so on.

Domain MRSS feeds would fill the unsold ad inventory slots, increasing screen owner profits at zero cost.

Domain name owners could set the commissions they pay-out, and screen owners choose which domain feeds to run. Business (screen) owners' will be able to process payments, like its just another product, in some cases -where the domain owner also agrees / opts-in.

The Domain Sales Affiliate Network would operate on listing fees. Ensuring virtually all sales rev goes to the domain owner, and that the quality of the domain showcase is far more attractive, and productive, than the 'free listings' standard.

While this is a great thread, that can go on and on, spewing some great ideas, I think we all know nothing else usually happens. And, as I caught myself trying to pass-the-buck to a 'better suited' party, to take action on an idea of mine, this time I wanted to come-up with an idea I could do, and this is it.

•••
Targetable monetization.

GoDaddy killed this feature of Uniregistry.

It is essential for protecting monetized keyword domains from being lost in trademark disputes, but none of the providers give a damn about their customers.

•••
I really like the idea about the .org Bob! My real wonder is how much of a demand there is for the names in a resale marketplace? Any ideas?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back