Dynadot

discuss If Domainers Could Have One More Thing....

NameSilo
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I thought it would be interesting to discuss what additional resource would make life easier or more productive for domainers. This could be a new database, tool, type of marketplace, transaction process, promotional opportunity, etc. It might even be some new feature of NamePros that you would find really helpful.

So wave that magic wand! What do you want?

While this is partly to have fun imagining what we could have, I hope that ideas will emerge that someone will run with and a new product will be born.

Not so long ago our industry did not have resources like Efty, Dofo and the brandable marketplaces, and imagine the impacts those have had.

If it is a feature on NamePros you have in mind, I am pretty sure someone is listening to all the threads for good ideas to make our community even better!

The ideas can be as simple as adding a new feature to some marketplace or as complex as a totally new type of product that links domainers and end users.

I have a few ideas that I will share a bit later in discussion, but look forward to hearing ideas that other people have.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd select good old escrow.com (before it was acquired by freelancer . com ). As simple as that...

•••
I'd select good old escrow.com (before it was acquired by freelancer . com
For the benefit of those of us who are newer to serious domaining, can you expand a bit. Do you mean that it used to have features that are not available now (and if so which do you particularly miss) or am I misunderstanding? Thanks.

•••
For the benefit of those of us who are newer to serious domaining, can you expand a bit. Do you mean that it used to have features that are not available now (and if so which do you particularly miss) or am I misunderstanding? Thanks.

The service is downgraded. Many domainers knowingly elected not to touch them anymore. The "security" is not there if needed (cqd.com case).

Escrow.com: From First to Worst?

... and many more extra evidence in related NP threads.

The parent company is no better, unfortunately:

Freelancer.com has ruined my life

Last edited:
•••
OK here is one of mine. I would like to see each year a TEDx event on domain names with a particular emphasis on successful end user stories. Leaders who are great speakers passionately explaining how the right domain name made a difference in their business. Some should be from nonprofit organizations. Some speakers should be very young startup owners. It would also be good to have some from within industry, but the main focus should be on inspirational stories of domain names that are being used effectively.

Since TEDx talks are archived for anyone to freely watch, I think the impact would be significant on how domain names are perceived, and down the road how they are valued. Ideally a few of the speakers would have immediate name recognition like Elon Musk and getting the Tesla name, for example. I know there have been domain speakers at various TEDx events, but have there been TEDx events totally on that theme?

Bob

•••
•••
An expiring domain marketplace. maybe. (like a proper disposal site for domains).

Eg:
A section of 2$, 5$, 10$ names in Namepros.
Members can buy 10 tokens for 1 dollar.

For each token they can add their expiring names in 1 dollar 5 dollars section. Whereas need 2 tokens to add domains in 10$ section.

Namepros doesn't take any commission. But can take a dollar from each sale if provides escrow service.

A system that will remove names that expire (by pulling data from registrar, maybe)

Also , can make virtual coin NPcoins in which can be redeemed after reaching 25$ threshold. Members can trade their names in NPcoins.

That section shall look more like an shop than threads. (Advanced search , filter, tag, category system)

•••
virtual coin NPcoins in which can be redeemed
Something more global may also be useful. Domainers Coin. Small parking payout? Let it be in domainers coin. Domainer-friendly registrars could accept such a payment method together with paypal and credit cards. But it should be cheaper [paypal is not the cheapest thing to accept, and so are credit cards]. And the coin should be reedemable (if necessary).

Last edited:
•••
Lower price caps on registrations and renewals

•••
I would like to see a domain index fund backed by premium domains. Perhaps, one step further, it could be "tokenized" via a blockchain protocol. The "tokens" or "digital securities" would allow for liquidity.

In other words, a premium portfolio consisting of great domains could be fractionalized and sold like shares of stock. This would allow for liquidity to flourish.

Why invest $5000 in one domain when you could own 50 digital securities (tokens) of a premium portfolio?

•••
1.Much overdue UDRP reform
2.Strip Verisign power or outright have some other org in charge of TLDs.

•••
1.Much overdue UDRP reform

IP lobby + ICANN would never make the right thing here. They work against public interest.

If they start reforming UDRP, we should expect:

(now) "The domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith."

may well be replaced with

"The domain name has been registered OR being used in bad faith." (which is already the case in some country code TLDs).

Also:

(now) "The disputed domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights."

may be replaced with "confusingly similar to a company name or a trade name".

So, it is better to not to ask them to reform UDRP in any aspect. Imho.

•••
OK here is one of mine. I would like to see each year a TEDx event on domain names with a particular emphasis on successful end user stories. Leaders who are great speakers passionately explaining how the right domain name made a difference in their business. Some should be from nonprofit organizations. Some speakers should be very young startup owners. It would also be good to have some from within industry, but the main focus should be on inspirational stories of domain names that are being used effectively.

Since TEDx talks are archived for anyone to freely watch, I think the impact would be significant on how domain names are perceived, and down the road how they are valued. Ideally a few of the speakers would have immediate name recognition like Elon Musk and getting the Tesla name, for example. I know there have been domain speakers at various TEDx events, but have there been TEDx events totally on that theme?

Bob

Unfortunately, I have no idea what a TEDx event is. But perhaps you could start a BOBx event :)

•••
nfortunately, I have no idea what a TEDx event is.
They are an evening with typically about 10 to 15 speakers around a theme, all carefully scripted to be exactly on time and smoothly presented. The TED are the big once a year with the top of the top speakers, and TEDx are independently organized events usually in a city, around some theme. Link below for organizing them and search online for video from TEDx on any theme. Most of the talks either provide unique perspectives or compelling personal stories or make a strong case for something. They are intended for a general but educated audience, and tickets are sold. Often the event includes music as well. They are typically available for free viewing after the event.
Bob
https://www.ted.com/participate/org...er-guide/speakers-program/what-is-a-tedx-talk

PS I think a BOBx is kind of the same except with a bumbling speaker who does not know what he is talking about :xf.cool:

•••
•••
Domains liquidation marketplace, where you can exchange domains for cash instantly.. this may only work for liquid domains like 4L, 5N..etc, with fixed price for each category. Also u can use same marketplace to buy liquid domains.

•••
If Domainers Could Have One More Thing....

maybe if they took away some of the :poop: domainers already got,
then some of em might appreciate, what they used to have, more than they do now.

just cuz it's on the table, don't mean you gotta eat it

every new service, makes you the enduser,
but you say, "i'm just a reseller"?

imo...

•••
Get rid of current domain drop market, any name that expires should be available to general dot com registrar price, think I could beat a lot of humans and maybe huge domains too.

•••
Get rid of current domain drop market, any name that expires should be available to general dot com registrar price, think I could beat a lot of humans and maybe huge domains too.

That gives the whole drop market to 1 player (DropCatch) and 2 bit players (SnapNames & NameJet).

•••
Thinking globally: ICANN should be replaced. Many issues we are experiencing will instantly disappear then...

•••
That gives the whole drop market to 1 player (DropCatch) and 2 bit players (SnapNames & NameJet).

Perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been in that post;

What I basically meant was that bot queries to catch the domains wouldn't be allowed which would mean you and I would have same chances of getting the domain on drop as anyone else for the normal reg fee.

•••
Perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been in that post;

What I basically meant was that bot queries to catch the domains wouldn't be allowed which would mean you and I would have same chances of getting the domain on drop as anyone else for the normal reg fee.

How does that work? How does a domain get released back into the available population without the bots getting wind of when they will be released?

•••
Thank you everyone for all of the interesting ideas! Those who have not posted yet, please share your idea!

OK this one is complex but the idea is a software platform template (open source or commercial) that an end user can use with their domain name to have a personal presence on the web. I know that the companies that sell hosting all offer some sort of rapid web presence software, but what I have in mind is a step up from that, and is geared specifically for INDIVIDUALS as your place on the web, and not company or organization site.

There is a lot of backlash now against how much influence the social media giants have, privacy issues, their profit from your content, and their ability to take it all away in a heartbeat. This would be a solution you would use as your long term site for your content. It would of course be good for domainers, ultimately, as it would increase use of domain names.

Here are some of the features I would see as necessary
  • work out of the box with a minimum of technical background needed
  • work with any domain name registered to you
  • come with some system of authentication so people will know the site is authenticated as a person, and is not some malware or bot site trying to push some agenda.
  • provide a site for personal information you choose to share, like a FB page, but with easy controls on what only approved people can see.
  • ability to link to sites using the same personal software - you control completely your personal network.
  • there would be various sections that you could choose to use or not. For example, a section called My Resume, great for those in the job hunting phase.
  • A section on My Thoughts that would be a blog type section
  • A section My Photos and My Videos.
  • A section Personal Projects (maybe if running a little craft project)
  • My Causes for either promoting or sharing things you believe in.
  • My Recommendations for things like the books you liked, movies, sites, whatever.
  • An easy way for you to do your own ads, if you wanted, and to financially benefit from them.
  • etc.
But the key idea: my content, my ownership, my control on my domain.

What do people think? Obviously a huge project with many stumbling blocks, but I think the time is ripe for people to take back control of their online content, forever.

Bob

•••
This has been touched on by others but I will add a few comments. There is a huge disconnect between what companies spend without question on other types of business expenditures - travel, IT, legal, exec bonuses, meetings, advertising, etc and domain names. As investors we obviously want end users to get it - low five figures is no big deal to brand a business for the next decade when you spend that much monthly on lease space or legal fees or IT costs.

Regarding a domain fund, I mentioned this back around 2010 and people reacted I had too much time on my hands. There are some potential complications - how does one address potential UDRP filings against an individual domain in the portfolio? How does the fund decide on domain pricing, offer acceptance, negotiation, rejection? What if a domain's value could be optimized via development? Who makes the development decisions? Would 100% of domains in the fund be automatically renewed or would it be possible to drop some but bid on and acquire others? It seems like the fund might require an administrator at least part-time.

•••
Here are some of the features I would see as necessary
  • work out of the box with a minimum of technical background needed
  • work with any domain name registered to you
  • come with some system of authentication so people will know the site is authenticated as a person, and is not some malware or bot site trying to push some agenda.
  • provide a site for personal information you choose to share, like a FB page, but with easy controls on what only approved people can see.
  • ability to link to sites using the same personal software - you control completely your personal network.
  • there would be various sections that you could choose to use or not. For example, a section called My Resume, great for those in the job hunting phase.
  • A section on My Thoughts that would be a blog type section
  • A section My Photos and My Videos.
  • A section Personal Projects (maybe if running a little craft project)
  • My Causes for either promoting or sharing things you believe in.
  • My Recommendations for things like the books you liked, movies, sites, whatever.
  • An easy way for you to do your own ads, if you wanted, and to financially benefit from them.
  • etc.

I've thought about this same idea.

What about https://about.me/pricing? It has *most* of your requirements, but would you pay $7 a month for it?

WordPress would do it all, but it's not easy nor standardized to get up and running quickly.

•••
Back