Dynadot

opinion What Does The Domain World Need? (That we don't have now)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
Looking for creative ideas. What service, product, etc. would you like to see that does not currently exist in the domain world?

I am thinking of doing an article that would be a compilation of several ideas. If I mention your idea, I would, of course, credit you for proposing it.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Thanks,
Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. No renewals, only one time ownership fee and ownership transfer fee can be charged.
Once registered, domains would never become available again. There would even be names you couldn't buy from the current owner as they would just not care about it anymore.

•••
More secure registrars. There are simply too many stolen domain names.

•••
What CS85 already said. I would call it a "domain search engine".

At the moment, potential domain buyers have two main approaches to finding a suitable domain name. Either think up a name themselves, then look around to see whether it's available for sale; or wade through vast lists of available domain names in the hope that one will spring out at them through all the dross. (And there's brokering, but that's human-in-the-loop, and too expensive below the top end of the market.)

There is very little between these two extremes. Some platforms enable sellers to add descriptions of their domains, but to my knowledge not with any serious way of searching the descriptions. Others allow searches to be narrowed by category (e.g. sport, medicine), but that's still only very general.

What would really shake up domain trading would be to link the descriptions that sellers can already add themselves on some platforms to a powerful search engine employing AI. Possibly even interactive: the potential buyer would enter keywords describing the business (nail studio chicago) or intended use of the domain, but could also add other characteristics (e.g. "trendy", "highbrow", "radical", "high recognition", "risqué", etc.). The search engine could spit out possible additions to the list of keywords that the searcher could either accept or reject, thereby iteratively refining the search. When the searcher got the feeling that the list was heading in the right direction, he could then prompt for a list of domain name suggestions. He could trawl through those, or if he felt they were on the wrong track, he could go back and refine the search further. Just like people do with Google. And just as Google does, the search engine would rank domains based on searchers' behaviour.

Why am I writing this? If it's such a good idea, why don't I do it myself? (That's my own usual reaction to other people's "great ideas".)

1. Because I'm too old.
2. Because life experience has taught me that if I think something's a great idea, the rest of the world won't, or if they do, not until long after I'm dead. If everyone thought the way I do, most of the world would now be using Linux, Ulster would be an independent state, we would excavate great pits and irrigation channels in the Sahara and fill them with all the melting ice that is threatening to raise sea levels, and Germans would be using the generic neuter (don't ask). Ain't gonna happen. (Swetha, prove me wrong and buy ex-why-zee.com. Then the next generation of domainers will mention my name in hushed tones: the guy who sold Swetha a .com.)
3. Because I think it will happen, but differently: the pace at which AI and SEO are developing will encourage domainers to develop their domains so that potential users will find them – through Google. And I'm already doing that (or trying).
4. CS85 already said it, just in fewer words.

•••
I would love to have a button on my desktop programmed with the little lucidity in my mind. And when I press it, it will start searching for good domains while I'm doing other things.

And if possible... another button that when you press adds three or four more hours per day. 24 hours to >>> 27- or 28 hours a day.

:xf.cool:

•••
What Does The Domain World Need? (that we don't have now)

More people with realistic expectations.

Brad

•••
Before names in cyberspace, call-letters in airspace, for radio and TV, were "a license to print money".
As 98% of names go unsold, our domain inventory needs a new business model that 'prints money'.

Both cyberspace and airspace domains have the same problem

The airspace business model got halved by web media giants.
The cyberspace business model, for unsold domains, was stabbed-in-the-back by web media giants.

While web media giants dramatically cut into the broadcast media economy, network TV stations still rarely go out of business. Though their 40% profit margins have been cut-in-half. Radio was not so lucky. And domain inventory was just left to bleed-out.

A solution, turn our collective domain name inventory into a global namespace network. The template for success is the GeoFencing business model used by local broadcasting ad networks. Beyond NameFencing ads, a namespace network could showcase and sell digital products and services, including domains.

Because broadcasters, and other local airspace (ad) networks, could greatly extend their reach with global namespace networking -without using the web media giants, GeoFencing and NameFencing would be an effective, reliable, and profitable two-fisted defense for each industry.

The geofencing market size is anticipated to rise from US$ 1,867.2 Mn in 2022 to US$ 9,596.6 Mn in 2032.
https://www.futuremarketinsights.com/reports/geofencing-market

•••
how old is Bob

when boughts hundreds domains time 0 nbefore chinese new year 1999

cc vpop.net 40$ reserve then survived epic boracay (bitcoin island) one way then got the bill, in the mail, 70$ network solutions 2 years IF i wanted it to drop/few months later.

also .coms ALOT with 9net ave which charge 0 to reserve and get that bill in mail, months later - for free \ unlimited

..left my late friend rich atlanticcity.mobi in SAN Francisco

like filipinofood.com if you plan on holding on for 24 years a .com to retire think again my point is:

opprtunity cost
alternative outcomes

bob bartertrade but w online escrow akin to 80s baseball cards trades
Screenshot_20220721-021952_Chrome.jpg

•••
Personally I think the one aspect we need is something we as domainers cannot directly achieve by ourselves - getting advertising and marketing firms to actually look at domains as part of the cornerstone of the campaigns for their clients.

Now if we could get those advertising and marketing agencies onboard with the use of domain names I think it would revolutionise the business and indeed see business sky rocket.

•••
so its web1.0

www.no_url_shorteners/channelbitcoin

•••
A tool that will show non registered domains of a specific 2 word combo names.
You would add your word and it will search all the combinations of non registered domains with that keyword.

•••
A tool that will show non registered domains of a specific 2 word combo names.
You would add your word and it will search all the combinations of non registered domains with that keyword.

Check out LeanDomainSearch. Works nicely for what you described but their dataset of words and their popularity is from 2015, so it is a bit outdated.

Last edited:
•••
Would want Afternic/Godaddy to allow listing of .in ccTLD.

•••
I can tell you what we certainly don't need, a community forum that's welcoming, extremely well-managed, and an unrivaled repository of knowledge and experience to help out noobs like myself. So glad I stumbled across this place. Membership is essential for all serious domainers

•••
Decentralized domain marketplaces

Existing domain marketplaces are the biggest problem for sellers and buyers.

•••
Personally I think the one aspect we need is something we as domainers cannot directly achieve by ourselves - getting advertising and marketing firms to actually look at domains as part of the cornerstone of the campaigns for their clients.

Now if we could get those advertising and marketing agencies onboard with the use of domain names I think it would revolutionise the business and indeed see business sky rocket.
Agree, that would be great for domainers.

But, to 'get advertising and marketing firms to look at domains as part of the cornerstone of the campaigns', domainers would need to provide access to the domain namespace of their ad campaigns.
Making it great for them too.

So if they're selling jeans, their ads would run on all 'available' jeans domains in the namespace network, around the world, or select countries, regions, cities, ...

'Your' domain could still be for sale, complete with its marketplace link, it would just have a screen embed on it that pays you when someone wants to use it for messaging.

This is Namespace Networking / NameFencing.

Last edited:
•••
1. A landing page with "contact owner" option, just like Epik's landing page, but the company
offering this service should have no interest in domain business, and not try to steal leads, by hiding contact info, and IP of potential buyers. .. Also , if this is done via nameserver change, then, email forwarding option should exist.

2. Expiration date for prices. Also sorting domains by add date, and price , should be possible.

3. At Sedo contact info of sellers should be hidden at all times, or at least, until payment is made.
Same for others of course, if they are making the same mistake.

4. Buyers go to their registrars, their registrars offer backorder, if accepted then an agent play both sides and try to make 2 separate deals, which could mean, low selling price, and killed sale (similar problem for buyer also).
Instead I propose a discount-coupon method, which would give the agent a sure way to make profit, but without
trying to screw both sides. Buyer would get a trackable coupon from the agent, but given to him by domain owner, and when applied , price drops, and agent takes his money from remaining profit of the seller. Also such a thing, can be used to make people do outbounding for someone else's domain.

Last edited:
•••
Not strictly domains but I would love to be able to sell websites as easily as domains.
Transferring the entire website to the buyer would be as simple and painless as pushing the domain name to the buyer's account and everything attached to the domain like code, files, hosting account would get transferred automatically.

•••
np still secret elite tops
put 'em up
who owns what, and circulate
for me, i can't wait on a .com filipinofood another 23 years..

•••
Domaining world needs more sales, the current situation is more into registry/registrars favor, all this forums in reality might be another of their tools, to generate more regs from newbies.
Look who make sales, probably they work for Godaddy, Google and other registrars, therefore they own millions of domains, their small sales is from that huge pile but different users.
Yes I m happy to own top keywords combos in com, but what use from them if there are no sales (?).

We need end users to buy from us simple domainers, so they not buy only from big beasts of Domaining industry like Godaddy, simple as that.
IMO

•••
Understanding

Accountability

Integrity

If we can create and develop sales based off the above ^ we could generate never before seen value in the domain industry

Too many people in this industry lack the above ...

•••
if there was domain trading up for grabs, escrow, my 5 .coms for your 1 .com offers), acceptable names would then circulate as popular like 80s baseball cards barter trade (instead of holding on to filipinofood.com for 23 years/endusers)

•••
•••
Some more new gTLDs for us to argue about.

•••
The paste in list is really helpful, and it will show which domains with those names are registered and listed, but does it show which ones are developed? Maybe I am just missing something. I mean I guess you could use some of the SEO parameters like links to probably detect which are developed, but I don't see a direct way to do it.

Last edited:
•••
I dont think we need anything that doesn't already exist.

Its a simple business of buying, holding, renewing and selling for the right price via existing marketplaces.

Keep it sweet and simple. IMO.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back