Dynadot

discuss If Domainers Could Have One More Thing....

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I thought it would be interesting to discuss what additional resource would make life easier or more productive for domainers. This could be a new database, tool, type of marketplace, transaction process, promotional opportunity, etc. It might even be some new feature of NamePros that you would find really helpful.

So wave that magic wand! What do you want?

While this is partly to have fun imagining what we could have, I hope that ideas will emerge that someone will run with and a new product will be born.

Not so long ago our industry did not have resources like Efty, Dofo and the brandable marketplaces, and imagine the impacts those have had.

If it is a feature on NamePros you have in mind, I am pretty sure someone is listening to all the threads for good ideas to make our community even better!

The ideas can be as simple as adding a new feature to some marketplace or as complex as a totally new type of product that links domainers and end users.

I have a few ideas that I will share a bit later in discussion, but look forward to hearing ideas that other people have.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've thought about this same idea.

What about https://about.me/pricing? It has *most* of your requirements, but would you pay $7 a month for it?
I have actually now and then been directed to people's about.me sites but had when writing above totally forgot about it. You are right it does a fair amount of what I have in mind. While $7 a month is not a ridiculous price at all, especially with a free plan option and 2 months free, far fewer will use it at the price. I think the idea only takes off if large numbers use it. That is the advantage FB has that everyone knows it.

Ideally our idea works best if it is either open source and free or a company or organization offer it free either as public service seeing PR benefits spillover or seeking occasional donations as in Wikipedia model. Another possibility would be a fairly robust free forever model coupled with subscriptions for certain features that only some people would use.

You wondering once on Twitter about something similar undoubtedly triggered as I thought more about it and I should have acknowledged that in the post. Your innovative and creative mind and enthusiastichave, positive and welcoming nature has sparked so many positive things in domaining and beyond @Michael Cyger.

Thank you.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I would love it if all domainers could have common sense.

I know it can be hard to properly value a domain and a lot of us are respectable, but for every respectable domainer there are at least 10 people spamming everyone with unrealistic prices, crappy domains and no real research if the name would actually be interesting to the person (we all get those emails).

If we all had some common sense, I am sure domainers would have a much more positive image and it might be much easier (and more pleasant) to sell our names at fair prices.

•••
CoinMarketcap.com shows the value of recognized crypto currencies at close to $250 BILLION. They list more than 1300 different currencies but the number one currency Bitcoin is over 55% of the total crypto market cap. Many other cryptos have protocols based on the bitcoin white paper with a few adjustments. Yet long term there is no way we will ever need even fifty. How many browsers do you regularly use? How many social media platforms do you regularly use? How many different email addresses do you use for personal use? Why is so much money pouring into crypto which is still trying to find real world use cases while the concept of paying for aftermarket domains more than twenty years after the internet became mainstream is still foreign?

•••
You raise, perhaps THE key question @garptrader. Why are domain names not as highly valued as we feel they should be, and I guess the obvious related one, what can we do about it?

I think that if we had more solid and more known evidence of the difference that a quality domain makes that would help. I don't mean in our community, but in whatever trade magazines and sites business owners read.

I think we have to begin the process of excitement about quality domain names, in colleges and universities.

I think a few highly influential people who would say things that the business publications pick up would help.

I think if the idea that domain names are an investment class (see e.g. Escrow.com reports) picks up that would help.

If someone got around the issues involved and an Exchange Traded Product that was a holding of domain names was available, that might help.

Thanks for a great contribution.

Bob

•••
New forum, other one like Namepros, 2-3 new news sites, like domaining.com, 1-2 new big new marketplaces, like Flippa or Undeveloped. There is a lot of domainers, but there should be more serious players in industry, industry should be bigger.

•••
A marketplace that accepts payments and pays out only in crypto.
Such a marketplace may charge 1% or less fee and can still make profit.

•••
IMO 'Showcasing is the key'

A website says:*

(1) "World wide, there are about 300 million persons trying to start about 150 million businesses. About one third will be launched, so you can assume 50 million new firm births per year. Or about 137,000 per day. "

If the above (1) were true, then we are either not showcasing gems to entrepreneurs who could have been a potential customer (PS: IMO We don't see so many practical end user sales everyday. Demand and Supply do not coincide)

(2) "Total human population of 40 GEM countries is almost 4 billion out of a world population of 6.3 billion; 63% of the world population is represented in this assessment. Among these 4 billion, 2.4 billion are in the age range of 18-64 years, which approximates the working years in most countries. Among this 2.4 billion, about 12% or 297 million are active in trying to get 192 million businesses past the initial launch and through the initial three years of operation."

If (2) were true then millions of re-branding opportunities exits and It's a cycle (2) falls back to (1) till they succeed.

I wish to see:

(a) 500 top high value names 2019 - assets owned by namepros and extensively showcased on NP and entrepreneurs events.
(b) Domain Academy for entrepreneurs to learn and adapt internet names and branding as a strategy.
(c) Extensive Webinars and Domain names cum branding radio channel for extensive showcasing of available pool of high value digital assents held by domaineers, hosting and internet security.

(* - unverified source just for brain storming and not promoting)

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
I wish to see:
(a) 500 top high value names 2019 - assets owned by namepros and extensively showcased on NP and entrepreneurs events.
(b) Domain Academy for entrepreneurs to learn and adapt internet names and branding as a strategy.
(c) Extensive Webinars and Domain names branding radio channel for extensive showcasing of available pool of high value digital assents held by domaineers, hosting and internet security.
Wow! I think your ideas really have the potential to have a big positive impact @handpicked . I really like the showcasing aspect. Just a couple Qs to make sure I understand your thinking.

In (a) do you mean some way of determining the best 500 high worth that some NPs member owns, and then showcasing those? The owned by NamePros made me unsure. Really like the entrepreneurs events angle of it especially.

In (b) do you mean single day workshops for entrepreneurs, or do you mean an online course like Domain Name Academy, but for the perspective of entrepreneurs rather than domain investors?

Thanks,
Bob

•••
•••
I wish more registrars offered quality api access.

•••
Domain Academy for entrepreneurs to learn and adapt internet names and branding as a strategy

World wide, there are about 300 million persons trying to start about 150 million businesses

Yes, this would be extremely useful. Simply because many of these persons are in their twenties or so, and they belong to "facebook generation"... they would develop social media pages, or, in some cases, android apps. And use @ gmail email address. Nothing more. They feel little or no need to own a domain, premium or not... Which is one of the global problems of domaining industry...

•••
Wow! I think your ideas really have the potential to have a big positive impact @handpicked . I really like the showcasing aspect. Just a couple Qs to make sure I understand your thinking.

In (a) do you mean some way of determining the best 500 high worth that some NPs member owns, and then showcasing those? The owned by NamePros made me unsure. Really like the entrepreneurs events angle of it especially.

In (b) do you mean single day workshops for entrepreneurs, or do you mean an online course like Domain Name Academy, but for the perspective of entrepreneurs rather than domain investors?

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks Bob for this kind of thread and an opportunity to speak-out.

To answer:

(a) Sorry the confusion, I meant NPs members in my suggestions. I see a lot of NP's have excellent potential names which is not reaching the deserving entrepreneurs (names are Bench-sitting for too long). Imagine the concept of Malls and Stores displaying produce, most visitors see, learn and then buy. Digital assets are in need of a much larger platform IMO. Some voting mechanism at NP can bring out the best domains to showcase. voluntary donations too can be made by the beneficiaries once they feel it has helped them and the industry.

(b) IMO, most entrepreneurs get carried away or fall to misinformation regarding branding and digital real estate like domain name assets, hosting, web development, internet security, copyright, patenting etc., this needs to be done from the entrepreneurs angle as you mentioned, preferably, as a package in an side stall of 100's of entrepreneurs meets happening around the globe. With a day long workshop package. IMO Online courses too have plenty of scope. My 10Hr industrial job is draining me but, I do this as a side.

Thanks for the motivation.

Last edited:
•••
Imagine the concept of Malls and Stores displaying produce, most visitors see, learn and then buy. Digital assets are in need of a much larger platform IMO.
Thanks for the additional detail. I so like this idea. How would you see the decision re which names get featured? An expert panel? Voting? Do you see a charge for this service? I think if one could get to the point where branding companies, university programs on business startup and branding, consultants, etc. went to it as a go to place to find a selection of great names, it would be a huge asset for everyone (both end users and the domainers, of course). I think it might work best to start slow, with a smaller set of names everyone would agree are worthy, and insist on first class presentation of those names. I think it has to go beyond a logo and name, to the sort of presentation you would see in a gallery or something, with an intriguing one or two sentence lead in to the domain, beautiful graphics, some key objective data, etc.

Bob

•••
How would you see the decision re which names get featured? An expert panel? Voting? Do you see a charge for this service?
Bob
I suggest to implement a 'Showcase' Menu Item in the 'NamePros Top Menu Header Bar' after the 'Chat' with 2019 as a menu pull down when clicked lists 500 of the top futuristic brands that could sell at minimum of 5K$ or more chosen by approving panel at NP just like brand-able domains being accepted at BB etc., to submit to the said panel the name has to garner enough weight in terms of votes prior to elevation. This list can be extensively promoted on various platforms like entrepreneurs meetup's etc., will also get more promotion to the site as well. I liked your concept of 'Beyoind Logo' yes, the pitching has to be done like a startup pitch to garner votes that could lead to elevation. Thanks.

•••
I thought it would be interesting to discuss what additional resource would make life easier or more productive for domainers. This could be a new database, tool, type of marketplace, transaction process, promotional opportunity, etc. It might even be some new feature of NamePros that you would find really helpful.

So wave that magic wand! What do you want?

While this is partly to have fun imagining what we could have, I hope that ideas will emerge that someone will run with and a new product will be born.

Not so long ago our industry did not have resources like Efty, Dofo and the brandable marketplaces, and imagine the impacts those have had.

If it is a feature on NamePros you have in mind, I am pretty sure someone is listening to all the threads for good ideas to make our community even better!

The ideas can be as simple as adding a new feature to some marketplace or as complex as a totally new type of product that links domainers and end users.

I have a few ideas that I will share a bit later in discussion, but look forward to hearing ideas that other people have.

Bob
Bob, please let me know your ideas to create the website. As mentioned i have the domain 5gdomainsales.com How would you suggest setting this up. My idea was either as a directory or auctions

•••
Bob, please let me know your ideas to create the website. As mentioned i have the domain 5gdomainsales.com How would you suggest setting this up. My idea was either as a directory or auctions

Sorry I don''t have any specific ideas. Others reading this list may though. I just think the idea of a marketplace with a narrow focus might well make sense. The big general purpose ones have so many domains that sometimes finding the right ones, even with the filters, is a slow process. At some point I plan to do an article with some examples of narrow focus marketplaces. I have done one related interview already.

I would suggest, if you or people you work with have the expertise, that if you have some informative sections on the site, not related to selling domain names, that will help get traffic to your site, and perhaps some are looking for domain names too. It would need to have obviously updated links with the latest news, etc.

Bob

•••
I have not thought much about the following idea, and don't really have an opinion, but do people see any merit in something for domains similar to the real estate companies do. So you have a national company and it has branches and realtors in each city. The national network provides name recognition and through advertising some faith in the agents that unaffiliated individual real estate sellers might not have. I presume they provide training and some other resources.

Most domainers now operate as a single person, it seems, although sell through a few outlets (Sedo, Afternic, Undeveloped, ToughDomains, the brandable marketplaces, etc.) or through the Efty system or their own website. What about if there were a few companies that would do various forms of end user promotion, as well as set standards. Kind of like the big financial planning firms have, you would be an agent for Acme Domain Network (sorry if there is such a real thing - just made the name up). They would provide standardized web service, an MLS type service between all their agents, either their own training or a commercial level training through Domain Name Academy, etc. Clearly they would take a cut, but I could see businesses might be happier to deal with recognized agents. Probably it would work like real estate with the buying and selling agents each getting a cut on a sale, and the company their cut. The company would have the size to offer legal advice and fight UDRP on behalf of agents, and could probably offer end user some sort of money back period or other guarantees.

What do people think?

Bob

•••
Bulk WHOIS statuses parser/checker...
Never saw such tools online...

•••
Domain stories
I think while very interesting most of the domain stories are not something biz owners would want to share.
I know a few I would love to share but cant. But the short of it usually boils down to

1. we didnt realize we would be this big and didnt think the .com really mattered that much.
or
2. yes that was the best name for our category but the owner wanted too much so we settled for this 2 word domain (then after 5 years see #1)

I must say Im still impressed when i see a new company with a great short one word .com....

Escrow

but I agree with others...I would love to see an easy escrow that didnt force you to send over your articles of organization for your company and a selfie of you holding your passport before they paid you. Or one that didnt have a min payout or hold your funds in some credit to buy more of the companies services.

Content tools owned by the Domainer
Agree again with the crowd....you can do all of what your asking for with wordpress.....

Wish there was a way to instantly develop thousands of domains in a few seconds with custom content....someone should build "instant domain development"

•••
CoinMarketcap.com shows the value of recognized crypto currencies at close to $250 BILLION. They list more than 1300 different currencies but the number one currency Bitcoin is over 55% of the total crypto market cap. Many other cryptos have protocols based on the bitcoin white paper with a few adjustments. Yet long term there is no way we will ever need even fifty. How many browsers do you regularly use? How many social media platforms do you regularly use? How many different email addresses do you use for personal use? Why is so much money pouring into crypto which is still trying to find real world use cases while the concept of paying for aftermarket domains more than twenty years after the internet became mainstream is still foreign?

I thought the same thing about crypto but as I dug deeper I realized many of these tokens actually do different things.
some are currencies, (bitcoin, litecoin) other platforms for other tokens (ether neo, eos), others provide ways for you to share computer resources (golem) or confirm your identify (civic) or even share cell minutes (dent)....I would say there are about 100 different services these coins try to tackle and if they caught on i could see at least 5 players in each category...so some of the volume maybe warrented.

•••
I would love to see an easy escrow that didnt force you to send over your articles of organization for your company and a selfie of you holding your passport before they paid you.
And, most importantly, not asking the same from an enduser who simply wanted to purchase something online, 1 time, not recurring. God knows how many deals were lost as the result.

•••
So you have a national company and it has branches and realtors in each city.

They would provide standardized web service, an MLS type service between all their agents, either their own training or a commercial level training through Domain Name Academy, etc. Clearly they would take a cut, but I could see businesses might be happier to deal with recognized agents. Probably it would work like real estate with the buying and selling agents each getting a cut on a sale, and the company their cut.
So like a web estate office. Full of agent/brokers.

I think doable, but risky. How would they guarantee income? To keep the office running and to pay themselves, they would have to have a high sell-through rate with thousands of quality names at their disposal. Plus lawyers fees your talking and promos on top of that. Generating a steady income with thousands of domains or even just a few high-value ones is enough to keep the single domainer afloat, let alone an office battalion.

And then there's the lifespan of domains, typically a year. Quality-control would be essential, where their not being fed lists in danger of expiring.

Registries have the lead on this, they can promote their own names and use the registrars as the sales venue or their on own separate project.

The challenges would be there, but I like the idea especially with the massive amount of names out there now owned by domainers, there is a huge inventory to work from. The teams would have to be small, a tight-knit group. Investing schooling into them, would have to ensure not a high-turnover rate too. And a lot of domaining comes from experience, not schooling, so they would have to stick around long enough to learn the many nuances that comes with the territory.

•••
Folks. One of the domains i have purchased is 5gdomainsales.com My idea so far of what i would like to set up as a website/marketplace. Sections to be added would be as follows. 1: A forum to discuss everything about 5G. 2 An auction section for members to auction there domains. 3. A type of classified section where domains could be listed. This would be split into two sections Those wanting to buy a domain and those wanting to sell a domain 3: A article submission section. Any sales are done directly between buyer and seller. My website does not get directly involved in any transactions. The seller can sell themselves or add a link to there broker. The idea being that the niche is 5G A very simple website. No monthly fees. A yearly fee of
Sorry I don''t have any specific ideas. Others reading this list may though. I just think the idea of a marketplace with a narrow focus might well make sense. The big general purpose ones have so many domains that sometimes finding the right ones, even with the filters, is a slow process. At some point I plan to do an article with some examples of narrow focus marketplaces. I have done one related interview already.

I would suggest, if you or people you work with have the expertise, that if you have some informative sections on the site, not related to selling domain names, that will help get traffic to your site, and perhaps some are looking for domain names too. It would need to have obviously updated links with the latest news, etc.

Bob
Please have a look at the website i have created. See if you think 5gdomains listings would work. I can add a type of classifieds The website is 5glatestnews.com

•••
Back