Dynadot

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

NameSilo
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a fully verified account at Moneybooker's and I strongly recommend you to use it as its better than PayPal

As for Marian or Kevin , I used to help him on his forum "http://www.theonlinedeal.com" and he runned away by not paying his members!

He was really kind to me though and I have been chatting with him for a long time.

If you need further details just PM me ;)

Cheers

Olgi

•••
How about Alertpay? They have a secured account option that protects against chargebacks. Anyone uses Alertpay here?

•••
•••
sdsinc said:
This isn't good "Card transactions are charged a 1.9% fee but (unlike PayPal) are processed as cash transactions, resulting in card issuers additionally charging standard cash withdrawal fees."

Most credit cards have cash advance fees of 3 or 4 % and the interest rates are a lot higher for cash advances. Glad I haven't loaded my new MB account from a credit card :|

•••
Last edited:
•••
I THINK I GOT SOMETHING!!!!

CHECK THIS LINK TO DESIHACKERZ.COM -- HUGE LEAD

[email protected] was the owner of the paypal account that paid me. This guy HKSTEVE posted the username, and password the same day I got scammed.

Desi is Indian so its a possiblity that this dude is Indian and lives in Canada. I know not alot but we can trace HKSTEVE.

Also the IP address comes up in the address bar: 209.85.207.104, it leads to GOOGLE--> [email protected]

People are paying this guy for stolen paypal accounts!

Also look what his email is further down: [email protected]

IT ALL LEADS TO: YOU GUESSED IT! (THE AMAZING MEHBOOB) Someone please verify this!
Registrant:
Mehboob Charania
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ILLEGALBLOG.COM
Created on: 28-Apr-06
Expires on: 28-Apr-08
Last Updated on: 10-Feb-08

Administrative Contact:
Charania, Mehboob
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States
8322760754 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Charania, Mehboob
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States
8322760754 Fax --

Last edited:
•••
bgmv said:
I THINK I GOT SOMETHING!!!!

CHECK THIS LINK TO DESIHACKERZ.COM -- HUGE LEAD

[email protected] was the owner of the paypal account that paid me. This guy HKSTEVE posted the username, and password the same day I got scammed.

Desi is Indian so its a possiblity that this dude is Indian and lives in Canada. I know not alot but we can trace HKSTEVE.

Also the IP address comes up in the address bar: 209.85.207.104, it leads to GOOGLE--> [email protected]

People are paying this guy for stolen paypal accounts!

Also look what his email is further down: [email protected]

IT ALL LEADS TO: YOU GUESSED IT! (THE AMAZING MEHBOOB) Someone please verify this!
Registrant:
Mehboob Charania
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States

Domain Name: ILLEGALBLOG.COM
Created on: 28-Apr-06
Expires on: 28-Apr-08
Last Updated on: 10-Feb-08

Administrative Contact:
Charania, Mehboob
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States
8322760754 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Charania, Mehboob
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States
8322760754 Fax --

Interesting information here..and I live in Texas..Maybe I will have to see how far I am from League City (if this is the guy!)

•••
•••
The connection was made further down on the initial desihackerz link. There is a post selling BARECONTENT.COM which was confirmed stolen. I checked out the WhoIs for IllegalBlog.com and it turns out to be Mehboob aka HKSTEVE aka shibuyajpn aka Idiotenglish aka axis9 aka BOBWilkok@gmail aka [email protected]

Last edited:
•••
I doubt this is his actual address:

Mehboob Charania
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States

•••
ideesweb said:
I doubt this is his actual address:

Mehboob Charania
216 Willow Pointe Dr.
League City, Texas 77573
United States

well if thats not it I also found this one:

Registrant:
None
16202 EL Camino ReaL apt# 202
Houston, Texas 77062
United States

Domain Name: DOTAAS.COM
Created on: 15-Dec-05
Expires on: 15-Dec-08
Last Updated on: 11-Nov-07

Administrative Contact:
Charania, Mehboob [email protected]
None
Houston, Texas 77062
United States

Technical Contact:
None
Houston, Texas 77062
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.VID2MP3.COM
NS2.VID2MP3.COM

•••
•••
I just got this suspicious Private Message with what appeared to be a Phishing link.

Quad Premium LLLL Domains

BladeMaster

FTNO
GRSO
NHOB

•••
CHILLY said:
I just got this suspicious Private Message with what appeared to be a Phishing link.

Quad Premium LLLL Domains

BladeMaster

FTNO
GRSO
NHOB

I just received the same PM from "ChaosKnight" on DP forum..Only he had prices for each one...like $450 each for the first two and $500 or $550 for the last..Also please note: The whois on these do not match. 2 are registered to someone in Italy, one is registered to someone in the USA....this doesn't look good

bgmv said:
well if thats not it I also found this one:

Registrant:
None
Houston, Texas 77062
United States

Domain Name: DOTAAS.COM
Created on: 15-Dec-05
Expires on: 15-Dec-08
Last Updated on: 11-Nov-07

Administrative Contact:
None
Houston, Texas 77062
United States

Technical Contact:
None
Houston, Texas 77062
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.VID2MP3.COM
NS2.VID2MP3.COM

If there is anyway you can confirm this i'd like to know..I could always hit mapquest and do a little perry mason work from down the street. Of course, when I have time that is!

Last edited:
•••
These idiots must not have lives, they need a hobby, like actually working for money.
If there is anyway you can confirm this i'd like to know..I could always hit mapquest and do a little perry mason work from down the street. Of course, when I have time that is!
lol Bring the whole forum.

•••
ideesweb said:
These idiots must not have lives, they need a hobby, like actually working for money.

lol Bring the whole forum.

I was thinking something more along the lines of getting a few guys together and kidnapping him..wrap a bandana around his eyes and throw him in the back of a car..drive to a secluted place with one laptop..make him login to his accounts and transfer the domains back to their owner..then beat the snot out of him and leave him to walk home...But then again, that may be to mean (Personally I wouldn't think so!) :alien:

•••
FPForum said:
I was thinking something more along the lines of getting a few guys together and kidnapping him..wrap a bandana around his eyes and throw him in the back of a car..drive to a secluted place with one laptop..make him login to his accounts and transfer the domains back to their owner..then beat the snot out of him and leave him to walk home...But then again, that may be to mean (Personally I wouldn't think so!) :alien:

too complicated.....I`ll just show them a good time in a nice laguna with some crocs...

•••
Well that's creative!, but who knows, the address might lead up to a 90 year old women who doesn't know the internet exists.
FPForum said:

•••
FTNO
GRSO
NHOB

hi, i dont want to scam anyone
here is a screenshot from tdnam

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/sl_sandking/Domains-1.jpg

i need to get 2k today to pay fora very premium LLLL.com domain
thats why i like do this like a scammer
i also got a warning from NP staff, saying spam pms

these domain will be on my account on 2008.02.24.

if im a scammer, will i sell domain for 2. 3 $
look at my itrader

also look at my non premium LLLL domain
they show u same registar details
and also will i do stumbles for money if im a scammer

please dont blame others and ruin others sales without nowing the truth
Thuth is Allways on My Side

Last edited:
•••
FPForum said:

Haha, so the those are the type of people that vote for Ron Paul :hehe:

Rep Added

•••
BladeMaster said:
FTNO
GRSO
NHOB

hi, i dont want to scam anyone
here is a screenshot from tdnam

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/sl_sandking/Domains-1.jpg

i need to get 2k today to pay fora very premium LLLL.com domain
thats why i like do this like a scammer
i also got a warning from NP staff, saying spam pms

these domain will be on my account on 2008.02.24

indeed...was wondering why I got your PM....

•••
italiandragon said:
indeed...was wondering why I got your PM....

i send about 25 pms to the members that i feel which are the best investors on LLLL.coms

You, Reeche, Alex, Ergo, Etc.. :)

•••
BladeMaster said:
i send about 25 pms to the members that i feel which are the best investors on LLLL.coms

You, Reeche, Alex, Ergo, Etc.. :)
This is not scamming. It's called Spamming :)

BTW, why you overbid if you don't have enough money cover your purchases?

•••
EG.domains said:
This is not scamming. It's called Spamming :)

BTW, why you overbid if you don't have enough money cover your purchases?

i have the money, but i have decided to spend them on another LLLL.com + Asia
its about 5 hours left to landrush
thats the hurry

•••
bgmv said:
Haha, so the those are the type of people that vote for Ron Paul :hehe:

Rep Added

Good one..lol..but seriously, if you have sufficient evidence on this case that points to this guy being at that address then let me know. I can only imagine how pissed I would be if I lost my treasure of 4L.com's to some loser..Even though I had nothing taken from me personally I feel it's only right to find this guy and make him pay in some way...

Also, I found this link which also points to this scammers username on DNF..Don't know if this has already been pointed out or not.
Username: 1415avais
Post I found: http://no_url_shorteners/34m73k
NOTE: This guys profile on DNF shows his location is Houston!!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back