NameSilo
Watch

morf13

Top Member
Impact
Today I regged r a e d e o n dot org

I checked here to see if it was copyrighted-
http://www.copyright.gov/records/

It was not copyrighted. But when I googled R A E D E O N there were tones of google results with lots of little Trademark emblems.

I am curious about trademark vs copyright?? What can be done? Anything, should I grace delete it? I obviously do not want to infringe on anybody's property or get sued. Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even with copyrights, as long as you don't interfere with CPUs (AMD) and even the technological area, you should be able to develop "Raedeon" for your own purposes. However, it's a grey area.

Only a lawyer would be able to help you in this case.

•••
•••
Since it has not been mentioned:

Avoid parking the domain. Just set a simple contact page and that's it. Parking it will almost certainly show ads that can lead you to trouble

•••
Thanks for the advice. First off, I will NOT park it.

I do not want to develop it either, I just want to flip it. My fear would be that I was to flip it, and then they come after me because I made a profit selling the domain. If I listed it for sale, I would not mention anything about it being connected to technology etc.I would just list it for sale, and then let the buyer decided what they want to do with it and how to handle it

•••
By the way, I made a typo when I posted this. The domain is:

R A D E O N dot org

•••
By the way, I made a typo when I posted this. The domain is:

R A D E O N dot org

So, it is the TMed name after all :)
Why get into all that trouble for a TMed .org?

the .com version is an abandoned(?) site since I see a 6990 there which is not a very recent model.
the .net version is parked

I don't know, is it really worth it?

•••
Hypersot has a point. Why would you go through the trouble of registering and selling a .org that is possibly trade marked? I don't think there's much of a market for it.

Nevertheless, if you are going to sell it, I would suggest putting up a static website or blog that has nothing to do with technology first.

•••
I'm a bit nervous. I looked up the whois info for the .com & the .net versions of this, the .com version is an active site, and the .net version a parked site

Is there a way to see any sales history of these three extensions, com, net, org?

•••
Well, as long as you have a website, and it has nothing to do with technology, you should be safe.

Nevertheless, flipping this domain might prove to be a hassle (if at all possible).

•••
and it has nothing to do with technology
Which is highly unlikely given the uniqueness of the term and its widely-known context.

•••
Which is highly unlikely given the uniqueness of the term and its widely-known context.

Well, I'm saying that the current owner could develop it as something that isn't technology related. Would you still consider it a bad idea? I don't deny that it's still a shady area.

•••
Would you still consider it a bad idea?
A problem is the term is unique and famous in the field of technology; that you'd have to reeeeeeeeeeally explain how or why you used a term on something else than what it's famous for. The chances of doing so, successfully at that, are just about slim to none.

So far, the trademark holder doesn't seem as aggressive as others. First time for everything, though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back