IT.COM

discuss Domain Investing vs. Trademark Investing

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
While someone has purchased and branded the name DomainInvesting(.)com, I thought it might be prudent to hand register a couple of names having to do with "Trademark Investing" and "™Investing" for purposes of discussion, and possible development.

I've personally registered several trademarks for businesses I started, and I thought what the heck. Ironically, a year ago I knew more about the trademark industry than I did about the domain industry. I needn't go into detail, but I've discovered you can buy and sell trademarks just like domains.

There was a podcast today on Domain Name Wire about a company called SquadHelp(.)com that has been very successful helping businesses come up with names for their business, and domains that match the business name. Somewhere on their site I saw where they may also start offering a service where the business name, the domain and the trademark all match. Thus, the reason for "Trademark Investing".

The other thing you probably should know is they're all "Intellectual Property", and each name, should you be fortunate to have the domain, the trademark and the business name match, will add value to each other.

The final thing I'll point out is that Go Daddy values the domain name DomainInvesting(.)com at $12,381. While I'm not sure, that may bode well for the trademark and possible branding idea's.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While someone has purchased and branded the name DomainInvesting(.)com, I thought it might be prudent to hand register a couple of names having to do with "Trademark Investing" and "™Investing" for purposes of discussion, and possible development.

I've personally registered several trademarks for businesses I started, and I thought what the heck. Ironically, a year ago I knew more about the trademark industry than I did about the domain industry. I needn't go into detail, but I've discovered you can buy and sell trademarks just like domains.

There was a podcast today on Domain Name Wire about a company called SquadHelp(.)com that has been very successful helping businesses come up with names for their business, and domains that match the business name. Somewhere on their site I saw where they may also start offering a service where the business name, the domain and the trademark all match. Thus, the reason for "Trademark Investing".

The other thing you probably should know is they're all "Intellectual Property", and each name, should you be fortunate to have the domain, the trademark and the business name match, will add value to each other.

The final thing I'll point out is that Go Daddy values the domain name DomainInvesting(.)com at $12,381. While I'm not sure, that may bode well for the trademark and possible branding idea's.

Elliot Silver owns DomainInvesting.com. His blog is one of the best in my opinion besides RicksBlog.com. One of the the reasons I believe DomainInvesting.com is worth that much is definitely because its an exact match keyword domain and they have value. When I was getting into domain investing I typed in DomainInvesting.com literally like 4-5 times. This was before I really became a fan with the blog and paid attention to the content.

Trademarking something like Domain Investing doesn't have much real value. With domain names people can visit a website, they type-in the domain name, the owner can make money in a variety of ways. What can you do once you trademark Domain Investing? You would also have to use Domain Investing or any generic term in a complete unconventional way in order for it to be trademarked. I remember someone trying to trademark SEO but it wasn't happening.

I have thought about this though. Investing in trademarks, patents, and shell companies.

•••
Elliot Silver owns DomainInvesting.com. His blog is one of the best in my opinion besides RicksBlog.com. One of the the reasons I believe DomainInvesting.com is worth that much is definitely because its an exact match keyword domain and they have value. When I was getting into domain investing I typed in DomainInvesting.com literally like 4-5 times. This was before I really became a fan with the blog and paid attention to the content.

Trademarking something like Domain Investing doesn't have much real value. With domain names people can visit a website, they type-in the domain name, the owner can make money in a variety of ways. What can you do once you trademark Domain Investing? You would also have to use Domain Investing or any generic term in a complete unconventional way in order for it to be trademarked. I remember someone trying to trademark SEO but it wasn't happening.

I have thought about this though. Investing in trademarks, patents, and shell companies.

Thanks, I actually own the domains TrademarkInvesting and ™Investing. I appreciate that you shared that you actually "thought" about trademark investing. I'm thinking the name itself may attract a whole new demographic who may become interested in investing in all my names. Before learning about this industry, I may have never considered investing in Domains (mostly because I didn't know what they are), but Trademarks are a whole different story.

Your average investor knows what a trademark is long before they know what at domain is. Especially if you show them a list of the 10 most valuable trademarks like this; https://www.forbes.com/pictures/eidl45jl/the-10-most-valuable-trademarks-2/#7e6772a866ae

Thanks again Larry.

•••
People do transfer trademarks, but it is certainly a more detailed process than just selling a domain. It is often via a business sale more than just the TM alone.

The term "trademark investing" only has 372 total results in Google with this thread being top result.
"Domain investing" has 399,000 for reference purposes. There is really no comparison.

If trademark investing ever becomes a popular field, then you have the .COM to own at least.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back