Threatening reply to an outbound email

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Trent1000

Top Member
Impact
I've received the following reply to one of my emails:

obt.png

There is no trademark registered under the keywords of the domain name. He is not the previous/current owner of the domain name, I registered it after doing an in depth research on it. So it's almost funny as he says "my .com name".

The name is not even close with his business name / domain.
The domain is representing an industry with hundreds of potential end users, his domain is a terrible brandable.

I certainly haven't blackmailed him.

Should I take it seriously or is this a bluff to get the domain name for free? Never run into a situation like this before despite the fact that I sell domains on a weekly basis via outbound.

Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you'd better ask @jberryhill

keep calm
don't put ads on the name don't park it
having a blank page for now can't hurt

•••
•••
•••
Just ignore it. Why would you take it seriously if he's got no trademark?

•••
Just ignore it. Why would you take it seriously if he's got no trademark?
That "federal copyright commission" thing worries me or rather makes me curious, despite having no results in search engines whatsoever.

Last edited:
•••
Nobody receives TM in a week. If you can't find an application via TM search portals, there is none. Too many errors in this small text, the person must have been very nervous typing that. And he will certainly not buy your domain :xf.laugh:

•••
That "federal copyright commission" thing worries, me or rather makes me curious, despite having no results in search engines whatsoever.

He's bullshitting you because he likes the name and wants you to drop it.

There are 0 google results for the term. This means that it's 100% bullshit. Tell him to eat a dick.

•••
😁 Tell him you are relocating to other county being threatened!

U believe that crap? 😒

•••
He's bullsh*tting you because he likes the name and wants you to drop it.

There are 0 google results for the term. This means that it's 100% bullsh*t. Tell him to eat a dick.
A BBC to be precise 😆

•••
if you stop send spam solicitations then you won't get those type of replies

imo...

•••
I've received the following reply to one of my emails:

Show attachment 122359
There is no trademark registered under the keywords of the domain name. He is not the previous/current owner of the domain name, I registered it after doing an in depth research on it. So it's almost funny as he says "my .com name".

The name is not even close with his business name / domain.
The domain is representing an industry with hundreds of potential end users, his domain is a terrible brandable.

I certainly haven't blackmailed him.

Should I take it seriously or is this a bluff to get the domain name for free? Never run into a situation like this before despite the fact that I sell domains on a weekly basis via outbound.

Advice would be appreciated.
It is just an empty threat to bully you into selling it for cheap, he not really going to buy that domain name, at best he would offer you $5 or $10. Since you said there are many more end users, then I urge you to ignore the scumbag and reach out to those...

•••
if you stop send spam solicitations then you won't get those type of replies

imo...

Legal spamming gets us quick and reliable $$$ on a somewhat expected basis :evilgrin:

•••
Seems like a nonsense threat. The guy doesn't appear to even know the difference between a copyright and a trademark. I would just ignore it personally.

Brad

•••
I wouldn't ever bother replying move on sell it to someone else...

•••
in the US there is no agency called "federal copyright commission" - it will cost htim/her/them over 1500 to start a UDRP - if you are looking for less than that - point it out in response to the next message, his purchase may save much $ in the end & no need for general threats from the potential buyer, you are helping in that case/

•••
Move on with it, I wouldn't reply and if I ever did it would be with Good luck with that.

•••
They want the domain, so this is a good sign. They won't buy it now, but if you post a reasonable bin price, they will eventually.

I wonder whether this is a typical reaction to an outbound email: they think they are being scammed.

•••
They want the domain, so this is a good sign. They won't buy it now, but if you post a reasonable bin price, they will eventually.

I wonder whether this is a typical reaction to an outbound email: they think they are being scammed.

I rarely receive reactions like this, mainly no thanks, and after a few no thanks there is one or two sometimes three yes! I price my names under the rather talented competition's price range, and since I'm only offering highly related domain names to businesses it just works.

Despite having some negative replies every now and then (this being the worst yet), I constantly build good connections with satisfied buyers. Of course that requires a totally transparent profile.

•••
I would just ignore it, hes calling your bluff.

•••
•••
better hope he did not have one of those "poor man's copyright" where he wrote a notarized letter (like 5) stating his intention to use the name or mark in the future and then mailed it to himself.

Same as the "poor man's patent" I think?

Not sure if it would hold up in court though.

•••
better hope he did not have one of those "poor man's copyright" where he wrote a notarized letter (like 5) stating his intention to use the name or mark in the future and then mailed it to himself.

Same as the "poor man's patent" I think?

Not sure if it would hold up in court though.

Factoring in the poor grammar and lack of understanding of copyright vs. trademark in the original response I would not be concerned. The court system is also extremely expensive to navigate.

I don't really sell domains proactively, but I still get nonsense like this quite frequently.

Brad

•••
•••
•••
Back