IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
+1

We need more .pro developed by end users..... not parjed by domainers asking sky high prices.

Someone needs to start that. More developed names means higher prices long term.

huh?

if we're keeping domainers out why in the world would you eventually want prices to be high? these are two completely different angles that somehow domainers string together often using some kind of hybrid domain person logic. (aka pretend logic)

yes yes.. lets keep the "domainers" out so more real end users develop the TLD so when there is critical mass we can go back in time and acquire valuable generic domains in that certain TLD - because if we were to do this while the ecosystem is developing, that would damage it.. about right? :laugh:

•••
I'm doing my share with pinless.pro and conferencecall.pro under active development not to mention filmmaker.pro already live.

•••
•••
huh?

if we're keeping domainers out why in the world would you eventually want prices to be high? these are two completely different angles that somehow domainers string together often using some kind of hybrid domain person logic. (aka pretend logic)

yes yes.. lets keep the "domainers" out so more real end users develop the TLD so when there is critical mass we can go back in time and acquire valuable generic domains in that certain TLD - because if we were to do this while the ecosystem is developing, that would damage it.. about right? :laugh:

Ok, now that I am on a computer.... :hehe:

Here is my issue... the .Pro is kind of in a catch 22.

On one hand... we all want better prices in the end of the day.... however we already have high prices on alot of domains... even though most, the vast majority .pro you go to are all parked and not developed.

There are a few .pro I would love to buy as the end user, however the folks are asking ludicrous prices.... at the same time... they are just sitting on them.

Personally I would be all for having new registrations have to be developed within 6 months or else it drops.

When .com's were around, domaining was not even around, and folks actually bought their domains to develop.

.Pro..... I venture to guess less than 5% are owned by the end user and developed, and the rest are just parked and owned by domainers looking for someone to offload it to.

Domainers do absolutely nothing to bringing in end users to the domain, and do absolutely nothing for public awareness of .pro extention. The people who do are retail end users.

•••
•••
and how many ads have you seen for .pro domains that were developed? almost none to ever.

terol, so how many .pro's do you own? and how many sold to the final end user that are now developed?

Better yet, mind sharing any .pro's that you have sold that were developed?

•••
•••
Ok, now that I am on a computer.... :hehe:

Here is my issue... the .Pro is kind of in a catch 22.

On one hand... we all want better prices in the end of the day.... however we already have high prices on alot of domains... even though most, the vast majority .pro you go to are all parked and not developed.

There are a few .pro I would love to buy as the end user, however the folks are asking ludicrous prices.... at the same time... they are just sitting on them.

Personally I would be all for having new registrations have to be developed within 6 months or else it drops.

When .com's were around, domaining was not even around, and folks actually bought their domains to develop.

.Pro..... I venture to guess less than 5% are owned by the end user and developed, and the rest are just parked and owned by domainers looking for someone to offload it to.

Domainers do absolutely nothing to bringing in end users to the domain, and do absolutely nothing for public awareness of .pro extention. The people who do are retail end users.

this isnt unique to .PRO - this is every TLD's problem except the originals.

but you wont find me "developing" some half thought out crap mini site just to be adding to the "greater good" though.. that never works and is not meaningful development.. its feel good domainer development and hopefully it died around 2010.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

There are a lot of developed .pro domains:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:.pro

Also, there are thousands available ones, even single killer keywords for every language and niche.

Obviously, if you want to acquire a premium .pro, you should pay the market value.

http://www.domaintools.com/buy/sales-history/?q=.pro

I have sold several ones at X,XXX USD range and I am receiving new offers almost everyday.

Where is the problem? :gl:

hi, the google method you've used is not even close to an accurate way to measure developed sites.

i know you really mean "market price" because most decent .PRO domains would sell for a song and dance if they were put up for market value (aka an auction)... the market value of .PRO domains as a whole is very low.

•••

Same point could be made about any TLD.
There are no major, mainstream websites in .pro.
Therefore awareness is inexistent and demand is low.

In fact, even the most successful of new TLDs are still struggling after a decade... and .pro cannot be depicted as a success story.

•••
It was nice reading and I think I liked/thanked all the posts I agreed.
With all the effort made so far by promting .pro, it is still an unknown gTLD.

I have a question. Is it possible to have privacy whois for .pro domains?

•••
advertisers.pro is live and built on the concept of cooperative advertising. I'm happy to discuss the concept more with anyone that owns a website and is having trouble advertising online due to high costs.

•••
•••
I had my Restoration PRO accepted on Toby's list for $3,5k , now reduced to $2,9k though I know there are very small chances to be sold there but not a problem.

The main issue is that even if it's a .pro it can be seen as a valuable domain if the keyword is good and fits the extension even in the US and there are plenty of examples which can be snapped or bought for 2 figures$. It's just way higher variance than other known extensions.

•••
•••
Wow, I see some folks are drinking the hatorade from my posts. =) I am glad I can bring up a lively discussion.

Let me clarify, by developed, I mean fully developed, not a crappy minisite.

A little about me, I only have about 125 domains, however any time I purchase one, I have a development goal for it, and an idea of how it fits into my overall primary business.

.Pro is an AWESOME extension with a ton of potential, but I feel it is being squandered on all sides... by the registrars not promoting it, to domainers who snapped up good google keywords and now asking stupid high prices, and yet have no intention of developing it.

End result.... the average person who would go visit a website would never even think of a .pro... and no one currently in possession of 90% of the .pro's is doing anything about it... just sitting on their ass.

So... I am all for strict requirements for registration of the .pro, as if it means one end user can register their domain and actually use it... instead of a domain being one out of 500 in a domainer's portfolio to a parked page or the standard encirca's index.pro page.

Domainers provide a valuable service....once a market is established, however they do jack squat to promote and make sure an extension survives.

When a new tld comes out.... domainers are quick to register, slap a sedo for sale page and put in a random value to sell it for. End user goes to try to register and it is unavail. No way will they pay inflated price for a new .tld so they move on, end of story.

Godaddy would help.... but.... but... but.... only if they actually support and advertise it.

•••
•••
Domainers provide a valuable service....once a market is established, however they do jack squat to promote and make sure an extension survives.

When a new tld comes out.... domainers are quick to register, slap a sedo for sale page and put in a random value to sell it for. End user goes to try to register and it is unavail. No way will they pay inflated price for a new .tld so they move on, end of story.

yeah and the silly part about it is - if domainers were willing to sell some for more reasonable prices they would end up doing much better on average cause you'd likely be able to acquire more of similar value on the aftermarket at reseller prices and let the market mature naturally, starting at value $0 - not value $200,000 like .mobi did :lol:

however, there needs to be enough of a market to do that and it doesnt exist yet. so catch 22.. i'd assume most of the major holders of this TLD are operating at a loss because i see a ton of domains from around 2005 registered to em. sounds like some painful registration fees during those more restricted expensive days.

also, there are more than a few problems that come up when we are talking about "strict requirements"... like what is a developed site? who determines what is too crappy and not. if i develop a site and its active for 5 years, then i decide to end that business - i have to give up the domain? or will the rule be i get to keep it... gotta be careful asking for strict requirements, you might actually get them and not have any say-so in determining "fair" requirements..

even with the most elaborate development plan i wouldnt want someone in the position to judge what im doing and giving me time constraints and so on and so forth.. restrictions are one of those things that sound good in theory but probably the more natural way is just let domainers slowly realize not everything is a million dollar domain or even a $1,000 domain. this is more true now than its ever been with the flood of gTLD's coming..

Last edited:
•••
This is from Berkens newsletter on the 21st ...

SnapNames.com “Feb Deals” Auction Ends Thursday & So Far Only 1 Bid

I'm mortified. I can't believe that they can get so few bids on such high quality names. :o OR, maybe I should say that nepotism and cronyism get you exactly what you deserve. You reap the crap that you sew. :lol:

8^X

•••
Sorry I'm kind of a newb here how to you obtain a .pro domain name? from godaddy?

•••
•••
Domain Tools List

Thanks for posting that link.

I cannot believe HOW MANY PEOPLE keep doing this whining about whether a domain name is developed or not.

If you don't like a .pro, go ahead and buy a .co

Geez!

If I buy a city lot and keep the grass mowed, WHO CARES? It's my investment, and frankly, it's none of anyone's business if I develop it now or in 5 years. It's my investment as long as I keep the taxes paid, right?

I am so happy that all the haters keep hating and I keep buying.

I buy .com, .pro, .us, etc. etc., if I think it makes sense.

I have a small portfolio and know of several developed .pro sites. They all rank in the top spots in google. Their owners sure don't complain. If google disappeared tomorrow, they are all brandable and can be easily advertised in traditional media.

I really wish this thread had more useful comments like Terols's post, more often.

---------

Also, there are thousands available ones, even single killer keywords for every language and niche.

Obviously, if you want to acquire a premium .pro, you should pay the market value.

http://www.domaintools.com/buy/sales-history/?q=.pro

I have sold several ones at X,XXX USD range and I am receiving new offers almost everyday.

•••
Thanks for posting that link.

I cannot believe HOW MANY PEOPLE keep doing this whining about whether a domain name is developed or not.

If you don't like a .pro, go ahead and buy a .co

Geez!

If I buy a city lot and keep the grass mowed, WHO CARES? It's my investment, and frankly, it's none of anyone's business if I develop it now or in 5 years. It's my investment as long as I keep the taxes paid, right?

I am so happy that all the haters keep hating and I keep buying.

I buy .com, .pro, .us, etc. etc., if I think it makes sense.

I have a small portfolio and know of several developed .pro sites. They all rank in the top spots in google. Their owners sure don't complain. If google disappeared tomorrow, they are all brandable and can be easily advertised in traditional media.

I really wish this thread had more useful comments like Terols's post, more often.

---------

Hi there.... ok.... Obviously you know nothing about real estate, however I will use your analogy since that is what you seem to understand.

First and foremost, depending on where your land is, the association or town may tell you you have to develop it if it is in the bylaws.

By same account, you do not own your domain permanently, you are merely leasing it from the registrar and tld organizer. If they think it is an exclusive thing... you agree to abide by their rules as to what to do with it.... much like you agree that you are a professional when you register those domains.

Secondly... you are forgetting one big big big thing... the supply of domain names is about to become infinite.

So, if your piece of land was the only one in town, sure people would want it... but quite honestly who gives a rats ass about your 1/8th of an acre when there are millions of acres out there to be developed.

Any serious company will register www.whateverIwant.companyname or .anything

Your .pro is cute... but will not be worth it as much.

Next, as far as if they stay developed or not... are you for real? Tell me please... where is land more valuable...

Would you rather own an acre of land in the Sahara Desert or an acre of land in the middle of Manhattan?

Same thing with .pro. If .Pro is not on people's minds, it will be just another extension that you have to explain to your customer actually exist, after they question you why you did not get the .Com/.Net/.Org?

You can't argue the facts....
1. very very very very few of the registered .pro's are actually developed.

2. .pro will become less relevant as more and more .tld's come out.

3. with .pro, you have an uphill battle to climb. .Pro is a very specific niche, and is not as versatile as very many other extensions.

Now... I own quite a few .pros, many of which I have for my profession, however no way in hell am I kidding myself thinking that my .pro's are worth thousands.

And yes, you can make any extension rank high, if you know anything, you should know that. For a few keywords, my .info's rank far higher than other equivalent .com's etc, simply because of proper SEO.

Lastly, I am not saying .pro's are bad... hell, about 1/3 of the domains I own are .pro, many of which I will be developing, and the other half I will be gifting to my small business owner clients. But the biggest message, don't get caught up in the hoopla thinking .pro is some savior that will always go up in value.

•••
Can you please refer me to the 'bylaw' or 'rule' that mandates development within x time of registration for ANY extension?

•••
Can you please refer me to the 'bylaw' or 'rule' that mandates development within x time of registration for ANY extension?
If I remember correctly .mobi had such a requirement in place for certain auctioned domains and RFP domains too.

Plus, ALL domains would have to serve technically compliant pages, this was never enforced AFAIK.

In the case of .pro it appears that the ownership requirements are not well understood (how exactly do you qualify as a 'licensed professional') and the resulting uncertainty has a repulsive effect.
I would not buy a restricted TLD for any serious purpose, unless the requirements are crystal-clear and I am sure I do qualify. If there is any doubt I move on.

•••
If I remember correctly .mobi had such a requirement in place for certain auctioned domains and RFP domains too.

Plus, ALL domains would have to serve technically compliant pages, this was never enforced AFAIK.

In the case of .pro it appears that the ownership requirements are not well understood (how exactly do you qualify as a 'licensed professional') and the resulting uncertainty has a repulsive effect.
I would not buy a restricted TLD for any serious purpose, unless the requirements are crystal-clear and I am sure I do qualify. If there is any doubt I move on.

.MOBI still has the requirement... its just never been enforced and there wasnt a message prompting you about it before you registered a domain.

definitely a huge deterrent for .PRO but there was a time when you wernt supposed to have more than one domain per company. it seems probable the registry would want to renegotiate the terms with ICANN at some point, being that most these gTLD's offered for public registration will likely be able to do whatever they want. one of those push comes to shove situations..

however, .mobi didnt say you had to actually have a developed site for regular registered domains. just premiums. for regular domains what was "required" (haha) was a mobile compliant page.. even parking page was fine. i think you're allowed to keep the domains inactive too..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back