NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It seems .PRO is slowly coming out of the cage with cheaper reg prices than they were a year ago and major registrars like netsol taking notice of the extension and promoting it. B-)

Here are some that I picked up in last couple of days:

Alexandria.pro

Anchorage.pro

Arlington.pro

Belfast.pro

Birmingham.pro

Budapest.pro

Durham.pro

Fairfax.pro

Italian.pro

Lisbon.pro

Fire away with your regs after the relaunch on September 8th, 2008.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I don't block anyone anymore, unless I see them indulging in shady business practices, that's a no-no in my book.

Having been on this forum for a bit now (5 yrs), I think the naysayers provide a good balance to the pumpers and are just as necessary to allow people to make balanced view of the opportunity, or lack thereof.

Jeff saved me a bundle by talking against .mobi (I was late to that game), MicroGuy might do the same for someone who is buying crappy .pros, it's all a part of the balance.

But I've made up my mind about Pros. I'm all in. Only time is going to change my thinking ... certainly not MG. So if he has boiled down to being a simple antagonist I have no need to keep him around.

I understand why you don't want to block. I just wanted to give you my reasoning.

Thanks Wiz

8^X

•••
The purpose of a public forum is to benefit from collective wisdom. We invest in domain names to make money. If we create our own fantasy world and shut all the doors, then we don't need to have Einstein's brain to calculate who is ultimately going to lose. What is true in other businesses is true in domains too. Feedback, users' voice and market trends are the backbone for any modern business.

Disclaimer: The above lines are not an attempt to bash .pro. This is in response to the ideas of blocking users, etc when we dislike second opinion.

Last edited:
•••
The purpose of a public forum is to benefit from collective wisdom. We invest in domain names to make money. If we create our own fantasy world and shut all the doors, then we don't need to have Einstein's brain to calculate who is ultimately going to lose. What is true in other businesses is true in domains too. Feedback, users' voice and market trends are the backbone for any modern business.

Disclaimer: The above lines are not an attempt to bash .pro. This is in response to the ideas of blocking users, etc when we dislike second opinion.

Couldn't say it better!
I was going to say a few words too about the same thing you have already noticed, but I let it go because I was sure it will be misunderstood.

•••
Frager ( a popular bloger ) re-posted something several weeks back that a another domainer had stated years ago on his blog. The statement went something like this

" these names will be bought by large corporations and they will never be traded on the market again"

So i though about this as i look at the commercial land around my city that has had absolutely no takers the last 5 years. The vast majority of the premium developed commercial land with exceptions is still standing and operating and if it does exchange hands even discounted its at a premium price not afforded by most of us.

As we slowly move out of this horrible recession the commercial land that has been overlooked and is already subdivided and zoned C1, C2, .pro ...it will become the focus for expansion and new business growth. Even if these business are funded and have the money to acquire a centrally located .com commercial space....its the space that will probably never trade hands

.Pro is the commercial land properly zoned that will benefit from this expansion and once this descriptive generic land gets developed much of it will not trade hands.

If large corporations get involved than this will greatly change the landscape of this space.

The history of business expansion is on the side of .pro and yes this argument can be made for other extensions. The more brandabel and memorable the extension the more the value.

In the .pro case this extension also resonates with the other languages of various countries of the world. This should not be underestimated and a cursory look at new registrations shows this to be the case.

•••
What is PRO 2.0 and when will Encirca adopt it?

I'm a professional salaried software engineer working for a corporation and still resent the whole phoney BS .pro licensing scheme that would not deem me, a career professional, as a professional. But besides that, what is the easiest way to meet the requirements. I'm thinking of just becoming a notary in my state, but is there some other way that might even be less draconian than that?

And would Pro 2.0 not even require that much, and if my .PRO names are registered with Encirca and Encirca doesn't upgrade to 2.0 can I transfer my domains to another registrar that is keeping up with the times?

•••
I seriously undersold table dot pro by at least a factor of five.

The buyer is a major isp/hosting provider and sedo got the payment immediately.

C'est la vie!

sky, if you're an engineer you're eligible for registering .pro domains, you'll probably need to input your license information which can be verified online.

I don't know what you mean by pro 2.0 and why Encirca wouldn't 'upgrade to it'??

•••
Pro 2.0 dealt with the verification process and makes it simpler and easier to register and activate .pro domains. I believe encirca is already on 2.0 as many of the registrars are...basically, you aren't asked for credentials up front and your domain goes live instantly which sums it up.

qkjunior...you are definitely on to something and .pro appears to be on tract with being one of those zones where business would want to congregate. Great post!

•••
Picked up sweepstakes.pro on snap

And also sweepstake.pro since it was available and makes a nice set.

Anyone else like these? :)

•••
And also sweepstake.pro since it was available and makes a nice set.

May be it's worth of taking sweeps also?

•••
•••
Are they called sweeps colloquially?

Never heard them being called that, but then I don't live in the US.

Search numbers aren't much to talk about.

•••
Anyone else like these? :)

No. In all honesty these domains are no good. If you have an opportunity to get a refund I would recommend going that route. I think the curtains have now fallen on this .PRO tld and it might be time to head for the exits. In my sincere view, you have one of two choices; 1) leave the registry to hold the bag, or 2) get stuck holding the bag yourself.

Please note that the above views are based on my past experiences and my direct reading of the pulse of this tired extension. I am just ever so barely feeling a beat and I'm afraid another registration price cut will not be able to save the patient this time around. Look for 99 cents coming and then possibly more lifting of registration requirements followed by .PRO rigamortis.

IMHO

•••
No. In all honesty these domains are no good. If you have an opportunity to get a refund I would recommend going that route. I think the curtains have now fallen on this .PRO tld and it might be time to head for the exits. In my sincere view, you have one of two choices; 1) leave the registry to hold the bag, or 2) get stuck holding the bag yourself.

Please note that the above views are based on my past experiences and my direct reading of the pulse of this tired extension. I am just ever so barely feeling a beat and I'm afraid another registration price cut will not be able to save the patient this time around. Look for 99 cents coming and then possibly more lifting of registration requirements followed by .PRO rigamortis.

IMHO

How many .pro names do you have?....dont have to be specific.... a range would be good....just for conversations sake...

Me first....I own more than 15 names

and you ?

•••
May be it's worth of taking sweeps also?

Took your advice, thank you!

Now to figure out who would benefit most from owning the set.

Or whether to develop it ourselves, any suggestions?

•••
Hey MG? I think we won't see another price cut, in reality the prices are headed up....not saying that is a good thing, but .pro prices are at rock bottom right now and these sales aren't going to last forever.

•••

I didn't see any mention of anyone shutting all the doors or creating fantasy worlds. What I did see was reference to closing a door on someone who has apparently contributed all that they have to contribute. We have read and absorbed all that he has to offer ... over and over and over and over. Are you seriously going to say that when you see one of his posts you expect to see something new or noteworthy? Time to make room for some fresh ideas.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Originally Posted by MicroGuy View Post
????: NamePros.com http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=522420

IMHO

Yet another paraphrase of the same old tripe. 8-X

"my direct reading of the pulse of this tired extension."

Please Dr. Kildare, please tell us more. :O

Pitiful waste of a mind.

Last edited:
•••
How many .pro names do you have?....dont have to be specific.... a range would be good....just for conversations sake...
How is that relevant to the discussion ? You have to own .pro to criticize the extension ?

•••
How is that relevant to the discussion ? You have to own .pro to criticize the extension ?

No...not at all

Criticizing an extension is perfectly fine. Maybe MG is relevant to the thread and offers great insight and knowledge leading to further discussions.

Its a simple question asking someone with this type of knowledge if they happen to own some commercial developed or undeveloped internet land at the edge of the city.

If he does and has some nice one or two word generic descriptive names we might be able to do some business together.

•••

Maybe he's just curious. I'd like to know. And I'd like to know how many you own, and everyone else on this forum, for no other reason than I'm curious.

No one's been discussing anything relevant anyway. It's all been about who can write what and who does or does not have to read it.

Has anyone been keeping up with what's been going on with the Pro extension? One thing has changed. It's small but in the right direction. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

And I've been buying Pros for two or three years. I currently own 240 and have stopped buying for the time being.

Last edited:
•••
I currently own 240 and have stopped buying for the time being.

Thank God you stopped buying them.

I would tend to disagree that the extension is heading in the right direction. I see a cliff up ahead. Let's let up off the gas a bit and look for a nice quiet place to pull over.

•••
I own Cardiff.pro and it is set to expire in a month or so. Keep or drop?

•••
Excluding 43,493 zip code .pros, total .pros registered in December 2011 rose by 5.9%, from 77,117 to 81,681. This was the biggest month on month rise since January 2009 and the 25th consecutive monthly rise.

I own London.pro and plan to keep it. Paris.pro sold for $2,888 and Moscow.pro sold for $470.

Last edited:
•••
I'd keep Cardiff.pro only if I was based there.

There are a lot stronger Geo's available in .pro

And though my first few sites were geo specific, let me tell you they're tough to scale.

•••
From Sedo Domain News - April 11, 2012

Domain prices reach record highs in March

IDNX domain name price index shows fifth consecutive month of growth Prices have never been higher in the domain name market!

This is according to IDNX, the first scientific grade price index for the domain market. IDNX—the internet domain name price index—has shown a consistent growth five months running, and the figures for March 2012 have broken previous records. This suggests that the domain market has rebounded from the slump of 2011, and that the remainder of 2012 could reach even greater heights.

March showed an increase of +4.2%. This growth exceeds the more modest upswing for share prices in the IT and technology sectors, but in spite of this, it correlates to other economic indices, proving that domain prices are at an all-time high without being inflated. Alongside higher prices during March, there was also a strong increase in the number of transactions taking place on Sedo’s domain market. :$:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back