IT.COM

advice The One Critical Thing Domain Valuation Tools Are Missing

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I just wrapped up some work and spent a few minutes playing with some domain name generators. It’s always fun to spend a short amount and see what they come up with. I recently cancelled my subscription to Estibot which I had for years. I love the tool but anyone who has bought or sold a domain knows that any valuation tool is really not very accurate. It can only factor in so many things. There are an infinite amount of elements to consider.
Regardless, as I was popping available names out of these generator tools faster than I could think of them, I started to miss my Estibot subscription. It would have been nice to see what sort of appraisal these names would get. Then I decided to pump them through the GoDaddy appraiser which is still listed as “beta.” Literally every name but one that I dropped in showed a value of over $1,000. These are names that I would never pay close to $1,000 for on my happiest day. This is when I discovered the one thing missing from any domain appraisal tool… The offer to buy the name you are appraising at the value they are providing...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The wording is wrong. It's not a valuation, as in "asset valuation".

It's just what the domain can be sold for, IF it sells (and the sale is to an end user).

It's akin to saying that a $5 lottery ticket is worth $500,000 , because this is what it can potentially win, IF it is drawn.

So, the wording is misleading.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back