Dynadot

question Besides Go Daddy, are any other "Brokers" in the Appraisal/Valuation Business?

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
While Epik use to have an appraisal link on their site that replicated Estibot appraisals, that has disappeared in the last few months?

Question?.....should GD even be in the appraisal/valuation business? As with most realtors, it's considered a "conflict of interest" to be appraising the same property you're attempting to sell. Showing "comparables" is one thing, but even that has it's drawbacks especially when it's done by a realtor who is commission based.

Regardless of whether GD should even be in the appraisal/valuation business, recent changes have had a major impact on the valuation of my portfolio. Literally hundreds of my domains purchased from GD that were valued a month ago between $1,000 and $2,000 are now valued at less than <$100.

It should be noted that I use other appraisal/valuation sources like Estibot and Nameworth however they aren't brokers like Go Daddy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Literally hundreds of my domains purchased from GD that were valued a month ago between $1,000 and $2,000 are now valued at less than <$100.

If those are estimates on your .link domains, I'd call < $100 being generous.

Question?.....should GD even be in the appraisal/valuation business?

Why not? I don't see the conflict of interest tbh.

•••

Branding....they're all .com domains that i own. I've provided several examples in the past but here's another..... i purchased on 01/15/2023 VarsityDomains.com appraised @ $1,475, and VarsityNames.com appraised @ $1,275 also on 01/15/2023. However, today VarsityNames.com is appraised @ less < $100:xf.rolleyes:

This is just one of the many reasons GD shouldn't be in the appraisal business. If you need more I'll be happy to share the absurdity of all this.

Again, do you know of any other brokers who are also in the appraisal business? Anyone?

•••
While Epik use to have an appraisal link on their site that replicated Estibot appraisals, that has disappeared in the last few months?

Question?.....should GD even be in the appraisal/valuation business? As with most realtors, it's considered a "conflict of interest" to be appraising the same property you're attempting to sell. Showing "comparables" is one thing, but even that has it's drawbacks especially when it's done by a realtor who is commission based.

Regardless of whether GD should even be in the appraisal/valuation business, recent changes have had a major impact on the valuation of my portfolio. Literally hundreds of my domains purchased from GD that were valued a month ago between $1,000 and $2,000 are now valued at less than <$100.

It should be noted that I use other appraisal/valuation sources like Estibot and Nameworth however they aren't brokers like Go Daddy.
GoDaddy's free appraisal service is more analogous to something like Zillow or similar websites that give home value estimates.

Here is Zillow's disclaimer -

zillow.jpg

Here is GoDaddy's disclaimer -

godaddy_appraisal.jpg

Neither of these are services that you pay for when it comes to an appraisal.

I was looking at a house the other day on Zillow.

The Zestimate was magically moved to roughly match the current listing price, despite days before that being "appraised" for 25% less.

Domains are all one of a kind. The value of a domain is not what some third party automated appraisal says.

Brad

•••
GoDaddy's free appraisal service is more analogous to something like Zillow or similar websites that give home value estimates.

Show attachment 238644

Here is GoDaddy's disclaimer -

Show attachment 238645

The Zestimate was magically moved to roughly match the current listing price, despite days before that being "appraised" for 25% less.

Domains are all one of a kind. The value of a domain is not what some third party automated appraisal says.

Brad

Brad
The key here is that Zillow is NOT in the real estate business (a real estate broker), nor should they be.

•••
Zillow absolutely is in the real estate business and used to buy homes directly. Now they partner with OpenDoor.

As a former real estate agent, it was my job to not only broker a sale, but also estimate what the property should sell for or what the offer should be based on comparables and market conditions.

There isn’t a conflict with estimating value even if you are part of the process or transaction. In fact, it is kind of expected.

•••
Zillow absolutely is in the real estate business and used to buy homes directly. Now they partner with OpenDoor.

As a former real estate agent, it was my job to not only broker a sale, but also estimate what the property should sell for or what the offer should be based on comparables and market conditions.

There isn’t a conflict with estimating value even if you are part of the process or transaction. In fact, it is kind of expected.
i guess i stand corrected then. When I google "is Zillow a real estate broker" this is what i get;

Zillow is NOT a real estate broker
  • Its important to keep in mind that Zillow is NOT a real estate broker. Zillow is a marketing company that has chosen real estate as their vehicle. Zillow sells advertising to real estate agents and brokers based off of the traffic they receive (which is a lot).
Also, they're NOT a real estate broker in Virginia where i reside.

•••
Again, do you know of any other brokers who are also in the appraisal business? Anyone?

If you're a broker, and you cannot come up with a rough estimate (of the value) of what your client is trying to sell/buy you shouldn't be in the brokering business.

The issue with domains being, they're harder to appraise. They're all one of a kind. Exactly why (imo) there aren't too many great domain brokers to be found for low/mid value domains.

i purchased on 01/15/2023 VarsityDomains.com appraised @ $1,475, and VarsityNames.com appraised @ $1,275 also on 01/15/2023. However, today VarsityNames.com is appraised @ less < $100

Their final estimate seems about right... maybe they fixed a bug.

•••
Zillow holds a ton of real estate sales and brokerage licenses:

https://www.zillow.com/z/info/real-estate-licenses/

I guess the main point is that although I know you are upset with GoDaddy, giving value estimates is a legit function of the business.

Just like Zillow estimates, they can be trash. I’ve seen people really worked up over the Zestimate for their properties as well. There isn’t any recourse in any event.

•••
If you're a broker, and you cannot come up with a rough estimate (of the value) of what your client is trying to sell/buy you shouldn't be in the brokering business.

The issue with domains being, they're harder to appraise. They're all one of a kind. Exactly why (imo) there aren't too many great domain brokers to be found for low/mid value domains.

Their final estimate seems about right... maybe they fixed a bug.
So the valuation/appraisal for VarsityDomains.com @ $1,475 and the valuation/appraisal for VarsityNames.com @ less < $100 seems about right? Seriously:xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••

https://www.zillow.com/z/info/real-estate-licenses/

I guess the main point is that although I know you are upset with GoDaddy, giving value estimates is a legit function of the business.

Just like Zillow estimates, they can be trash. I’ve seen people really worked up over the Zestimate for their properties as well. There isn’t any recourse in any event.

The house I was referring to just had a $15K price drop overnight, the Zestimate predictably moved down $15K.

So it moved up 25% from the original valuation to what it was listed for, then moved down $15K when the price was cut $15K.

It seems their Zestimate is just based more on listing price than anything else.

Take all these automated appraisals with a grain of salt.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

What do you mean there isn't any recourse? Ever hear of lawyers, courts, damages and the legal system?

•••
Saw.com has an appraisal section on their website:
Yes....i know that, but they're an "aftermarket" broker similar to Sedo, Dan and Afternic (Go Daddy's aftermarket). The domains i registered from GD mostly for around $10 were appraised @ over $1,000 when i purchased them, and now they're appraised @ < than $100, or more than 90% less. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement:xf.eek:

•••
What do you mean there isn't any recourse? Ever hear of lawyers, courts, damages and the legal system?
I have heard of people whining about GoDaddy for years, but never actually following through with any action.

Good luck not only getting over their clear disclaimer, but proving actual damages.

If your business model relies that much on free automated appraisals of a third party, it might be time to go back to the drawing board.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
So the valuation/appraisal for VarsityDomains.com @ $1,475 and the valuation/appraisal for VarsityNames.com @ less < $100 seems about right? Seriously:xf.rolleyes:

You're right... The names didn't leave much of an impression and I was mistaken. Looks like they haven't fixed all bugs. I don't think it's unfair to state they messed up and varsity domains should be at <$100.

I have reported the issue to the GoDaddy bug hunting division.

•••
I have heard of people whining about GoDaddy for years, but never actually following through with any action.

Good luck not only getting over their clear disclaimer, but proving actual damages.

If your business model relies that much on free automated appraisals of a third party, it might be time to go back to the drawing board.

Brad
Thanks Brad.....a lot of my business model is initiative driven, so much so I just registered DomainInitiatives.com.

Why?.......i'll let you be the judge of that:xf.wink:

•••
•••
It was tried with Zillow and failed, no reason to think you’d fare any better:

Good luck though!
Reasons we might fare better?

1. "Class" warfare
2. Better representation
3. Go Daddy's reputation
4. Industry reputation
5. Determination:xf.wink:

•••
You're right... The names didn't leave much of an impression and I was mistaken. Looks like they haven't fixed all bugs. I don't think it's unfair to state they messed up and varsity domains should be at <$100.

I have reported the issue to the GoDaddy bug hunting division.
i guess you never made the varsity:xf.wink: btw, GD shows "varsity" to be a "keyword" and values it @ $1,940. Why do you think they share this sort of info?

•••
This thread recently brought back to life from 2022 seems to offer some of those options that you may be looking for
https://www.namepros.com/threads/best-domain-value-tools.1284621/

Interesting that one or two members have built their own valuation tool and made it available. Haven't checked if any discussed are linked to 'Brokerage' services

Last edited:
•••
Depends what is on offer.

•••
This thread recently brought back to life from 2022 seems to offer some of those options that you may be looking for

Interesting that one or two members have built their own valuation tool and made it available. Haven't checked if any discussed are linked to 'Brokerage' services
Thanks BaileyUK....at one time or other I've accessed most of the other appraisal/valuation services like Nameworth and Estibot, but they're not brokers similar to Go Daddy. While I've had other issues with Go Daddy, it wasn't until recently that GD drastically changed their appraisal/valuation process that essentially devalued domains that I'd purchased from them well over 90%. The domains I'm referring to were mostly valued at well over a thousand dollars each when I bought them and they're now valued at < less than $100:xf.eek: And it's not just a few, but hundreds from my portfolio alone.

In addition, i have notebooks filled with literally thousands of name's that were once valued well in excess of a thousand dollars and today they're valued at < less than $100.

I'm sure thousands of consumers and yes domainers purchased their domains based on GD's appraisal. At a minimum it was part of their decision to buy.....i know it was part of my decision making process, and in some cases it was a major part of my decision.

Thanks again for chiming in Bailey and I hope you and your family are doing well(y)

•••

I have all top level short and ai relatated .coms Same issue with go dad , the estimates for all were much higher in Jan and Feb. Fortunately I have my own personal algo that is much more accurate.

•••
Back