Dynadot

.uk The .CO.UK Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This being the cctld section of namepros I am sure the answers I get here will be somewhat bias:) But here is my questions:

I found several niche generic domains with rather good overture. I was debating on getting the .net or the .co.uk version.

Revenue is important in this decision with it being a solid overture number with .com I know this would do great, but obviously not many people would choose to type mygoodgenericname.net, BUT my do people type megoodgenericname.co.uk????

Thoughts? Sorry, I am just wading into the international ext world but was wondering how well generics do for type-ins.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
whoa! great sale you got.
Congratulations on the sale

•••
weblord said:
whoa! great sale you got.
Congratulations on the sale
It wasn't me that sold it! It was another guy lol!

•••
•••
jacal1 said:
Wow...cool. When did that happen? I just sold one and am glad to know!

About three weeks ago :)

Cheers,
Rob.

•••
Thanks a lot guys for the help. I asked the Nominet guys as why my domain name is not showing up and they sent me an email saying that I was not listed as Admin for the name by freeparking!!. I emailed the freeparking guys abt it and they took care of the rest of it and I got a confirmation email from nominet saying that now I should see the domain name.

I was able to transfer the name successfully.

Thx.

•••
.Co.Uk , why not just .Uk?

Ok, I may be overlooking some huge detail, but why is it .co.uk not just .uk????

•••
Hurley4540 said:
Ok, I may be overlooking some huge detail, but why is it .co.uk not just .uk????

Good question.

By all accounts it should be .gb (going by ISO 3166) but the extension .uk was adopted during the Internet's infancy and became entrenched in the mind of the UK populace.

Nominet is responsible for regulating the .uk extension. They assign various second level classes on top of the main .uk extension. For instance, ac.uk, .org.uk, .mod.uk etc As far as I'm aware, each of these extensions are supposed to help UK users differentiate between different types of website e.g. educational sites, organisations, governmental websites etc. .co.uk is by far and away the most popular of all the second level extensions, accounting for some 30,000 registrations every month.

Interestingly enough, Nominet is in the process of trying to filter out a number of previously assigned top level extensions. Parliament.uk provides an example of a top level .uk extension currently in force, check it out ;)

•••
Wow don't think I ever was just on a dot uk website lol...now I have :D

•••

there is also police.uk

and NHS.uk (National Health Service)

second level .uk domains are only for the government/governmental institutions

•••
Earthian said:

there is also police.uk

So that's why I never really saw dot uk websites... (I live in US :p)

•••
well it may be released in future like .my is only released this year

•••
•••
Like there is .co.uk or commercial sites, there is also .org.uk for organizations.

•••
Earthian said:

there is also police.uk

Nominet also have a domain on .uk which is nic.uk

•••
•••
Malaysia said:
well it may be released in future like .my is only released this year

Yes and MYNIC, the administrator of .my make a great profit out of it.

•••
i don't own those country.tld's so i don't know but here in our country they have launched first .com.ph/.net.ph/.org.ph and then afterwards when people are registering/renewing those country.tld's they have launched .ph

most probably they want to "fill" up second level first then the first one.

•••
The 'co' stands for 'commonwealth', a group of countries that used to be under the rules of the UK.

Still some of these commonwealth countries have .co before their final extension, like New Zealand (co.nz) and 'my' country Kenya, co.ke.

When Zimbabwe stepped out of the commonwealth they proposed (unsuccesfully) to remove the 'co' from co.zw.

•••
johntv said:
The 'co' stands for 'commonwealth', a group of countries that used to be under the rules of the UK.

Still some of these commonwealth countries have .co before their final extension, like New Zealand (co.nz) and 'my' country Kenya, co.ke.

When Zimbabwe stepped out of the commonwealth they proposed (unsuccesfully) to remove the 'co' from co.zw.

As far as I'm aware and as already noted by S~, the co stands for commercial and is primarily for commercial purposes (of course, in terms of the .co.uk this purpose has eveolved somewhat since its inception). The .me.uk is for personal sites and the .org.uk for non-commercial organisations.

•••
johntv said:

Where you get the "facts" that co is for Commonwealth?
Malaysia use .com.my but not .co.my
Japan use .co.jp but not .com.jp

Japan a nation of Commonwealth? Since when?

•••
CommunityZ said:
Where you get the "facts" that co is for Commonwealth?
Malaysia use .com.my but not .co.my
Japan use .co.jp but not .com.jp

Japan a nation of Commonwealth? Since when?
I read it a few months ago in a Dutch newspaper, it was an article about Zimbabwe wanted to change from .co.zw to .zw and they mentioned the commonwealth information.

•••
•••

even more so , "co" could also mean "company" as referenced in 10.3.8 in this link (it is not regarding .co but it might show intent)

if this is the case , it then evolved to commercial (broader) and later on to "general usage" like .com did

I don't think it means commonwealth , if it did it would logically be on the right of the country (as a TLD and the country as a STD) since the commonwealth is "a larger entity" than the individual countries

I think the dutch magazine was misreporting or it was saying something else

Last edited:
•••
It's basically .com.uk for business/people (whereas .uk is the equivalent of .gov) but IMO .co.uk is better. Probably partly because we wanted to be different to the US - e.g. colour and color!

•••
Thanks for the good replies guys

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back