IT.COM

.uk The .CO.UK Discussion and Showcase

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
This being the cctld section of namepros I am sure the answers I get here will be somewhat bias:) But here is my questions:

I found several niche generic domains with rather good overture. I was debating on getting the .net or the .co.uk version.

Revenue is important in this decision with it being a solid overture number with .com I know this would do great, but obviously not many people would choose to type mygoodgenericname.net, BUT my do people type megoodgenericname.co.uk????

Thoughts? Sorry, I am just wading into the international ext world but was wondering how well generics do for type-ins.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
saucey said:
Hi everyone!

I just started reg'ing co.uk's as I have been noticing huge resale values at all the auctions!

I read somewhere... I think on this site... but not sure... That over 60% of the people living in the UK (don't forget..thats 4 countries!), will type in the .co.uk extension before typing in the .com extension! Amazing!

cc-TLD's are the way to go! In Australia, that figure is closer to 90%. Would be interested to know this statistic (however unscientifically it may be calculated) for other cc-TLD's too

•••
S~ said:
PUTSF! :)
http://www.namepros.com/cctld-discussion/475301-the-co-uk-discussion-and-showcase.html

That Sedo article is a bit off puff ("A strong secondary market with a ccTLD that has not quite caught up; this means bargains"). A good .co.uk will often cost as much as a similar .com on the secondary market.

Yes, it is a bit off. As I stated, it was written over 4 years ago... so some of the stats are outdated.

What is interesting is the prediction of a very strong and valuable .co.uk market.... As we are all witnessing, that is exactly what is happening now!!

GO .CO.UK :$:

Whoo hoo!
Saucey.

•••
Despite living in the UK, I dont have any in my portfolio at the moment :hehe:

Be aware that .co.uk wont be around forever since Scotland is bringing out .scot in 2010 and is having an Independence vote next year, which if passed would subsequently mean the end of the UK and .co.uk

•••
Hmmmm, first I heard of it. I suppose I could see that having an affect on Scotland perhaps, and possibly meaning that Scottish folk wont be reg'ing as many .co.uk's for themselves, but England,Ireland and Wales will still be going strong! If it were to happen, it would just mean that the UK was a little bit smaller...I would think.

It obviously isn't a big issue for the people who are buying .co.uk's today! Huge $$$$'s are being paid for good names. As one of the previous posters stated, a good .co.uk will command almost the same price as a good .com in many cases!

Joke of the day:

Q:What is the difference between a Scotsman, and the Rolling Stones???

A: The Rolling Stones say "Hey you, get off of my cloud!", and a Scotsman says "Hey Macleod, get off of my ewe !!" :)

Go .CO.UK!

•••
kev said:
Despite living in the UK, I dont have any in my portfolio at the moment :hehe:

Be aware that .co.uk wont be around forever since Scotland is bringing out .scot in 2010 and is having an Independence vote next year, which if passed would subsequently mean the end of the UK and .co.uk

Thought they already had .sc :)

•••
.sco won’t make any big difference IMO. Local Scottish businesses maybe tempted to acquire .sco domains names but nationwide businesses will be least interested in this tld. I think by 2010 not only .sco but also .lond and many others will be introduced. I don’t see much difference between .sco and .lond.

•••
•••
drjawed said:
.sco won’t make any big difference IMO. Local Scottish businesses maybe tempted to acquire .sco domains names but nationwide businesses will be least interested in this tld. I think by 2010 not only .sco but also .lond and many others will be introduced. I don’t see much difference between .sco and .lond.

You may be right but if Scotland does become independent in 2010, that means the UK won't exist anymore and so .co.uk would become meaningless.

•••
When Canada became independent in 1986 it didn't change anything...

The way I see it... The United Kingdom is just that.... and if Scotland decides to leave, the UK will still exist, but will be comprised of England,Ireland and Wales. So, in a nutshell, it'll be a wee bit smaller, but still the UK.

Just my opinion of course! :p

•••
kev said:
You may be right but if Scotland does become independent in 2010, that means the UK won't exist anymore and so .co.uk would become meaningless.

To be honest, I love Scotland but I don’t see it getting independence in my lifetime. Credit crunch has reconfirmed that independence is not a good idea in the same island; there is too much to lose. RBS and HBOS were saved by Westminster. Look at Iceland and Ireland. Having said that, I support the idea of .sco for the unique businesses of Scotland for the fact that London and New York are acquiring their own extensions.

•••
I didn't mean to bring a political element to this thread. I tend to force my Independence views all the time since Im a big fan of Politics, mainly because this guy is my Great Uncle :hehe:

Who knows what the future might hold? In the near future, .co.uk is a solid investment!

•••
There is a reason why many UK end users have some of the ugliest domains ever eg JoesPlumbingSupplies4u-uk.co.uk etc:

1/ tightwads (or is that what Scots have a reputation for? :lala:)

2/ would rather spend the money on booze, drugs..

3/ no email on the WHOIS (as per nominet rules) for domain inquiries.
WHOIS opt out doesn't help

In short, the market for .co.uk is nowhere near the market for .com for the same keyword/s.

Last edited:
•••
Aggro said:
1/ tightwads (or is that what Scots have a reputation for? :lala:)

2/ would rather spend the money on booze, drugs..

Urban Myths ;)
Although we do like a drink :]

•••
Kev,

Thanx for your input... It's good to hear that you feel .co.uk will remain a strong extension!

So now that the politics are out of the way..... Let's see some more of those great .co.uk registrations! :gn:

GO .CO.UK!

•••
I don't think that .co.uk extention allows a private registration for the domain. I think that is the rule set by .co.uk registry maybe just like .in extention also doesn't allow for private registration.

•••
It may be that co.uk is not near .com for the same keywords. But then again... Which TLD is?

If you take a look at DNJournal Top 100 ccTLD sales in 2008 you will find these 15 .co.uk sales:

Cruises.co.uk - $1,099,798
Phones.co.uk - $344,710
FreeCreditReport.co.uk - $300,000
4X4.co.uk - $75,360
FreeCreditReports.co.uk - $70,000
BusinessNetwork.co.uk - $41,400
LegalJobs.co.uk - $39,392
GiftIdeas.co.uk - $37,950
KGB.co.uk - $35,600
Glow.co.uk - $31,015
Flirting.co.uk - $26,240
DiscountTravel.co.uk - $23,633
Searchers.co.uk - $20,520
ClassicCars.co.uk - $19,897
PetrolPrices.co.uk - $17,028

This shows that there are serious money to be made selling .co.uk names :lala:

•••
While the fine people across the pond are drinking nice ale they are welcome to buy my PokerWorldSeries.co.uk and develop a superb poker worldseries website for the European tour.

Last edited:
•••
I have DailyWeather.co.uk
hope to find a buyer soon ;)

•••
gtsib said:
I have DailyWeather.co.uk
hope to find a buyer soon ;)

Nice one gtsib! That one should be fairly easy to develop, I would think... :blink:

•••
kev said:

http://www.dotsco.org/ is the campaign for that, oddly enough they have not really decided if they want .scot or .sco :)

Likewise the new ICANN rules are for .whatever , and if this is going under the private fasttrack it would come under the conflict of existing names rules.

If it is a new ccTLD it would take more the form of .cat - abit like Wales are trying to do with .cym.

I am willing to bet £1000 that .co.uk is still here in 2011 :)

Stargazer said:
It may be that co.uk is not near .com for the same keywords. But then again... Which TLD is?

If you take a look at DNJournal Top 100 ccTLD sales in 2008 you will find these 15 .co.uk sales:
snip

www.domainprices.co.uk has more data as well :)

•••
That is some great info! Thanx hey!

Boy, the sales of .co.uk sure are strong!

Go .CO .UK!

•••
•••
RomanCatholicChurch.co.uk

•••
quite a few lll.co.uk

;)

Last edited:
•••
3!

I regged 3 :

NorthernIrish.co.uk

Conurbations.co.uk

Metropolises.co.uk

Thanks

Frank

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back