IT.COM

.uk The .CO.UK Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This being the cctld section of namepros I am sure the answers I get here will be somewhat bias:) But here is my questions:

I found several niche generic domains with rather good overture. I was debating on getting the .net or the .co.uk version.

Revenue is important in this decision with it being a solid overture number with .com I know this would do great, but obviously not many people would choose to type mygoodgenericname.net, BUT my do people type megoodgenericname.co.uk????

Thoughts? Sorry, I am just wading into the international ext world but was wondering how well generics do for type-ins.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sorry to go off topic, but instead of me making a topic. I believe I can get an answer here, whats a good registrar for .co.uk?

I was reading the negative reviews on 123-reg.co.uk, but those where from 2005-2006

•••
Hey Rob...

Top bombing fella

•••
.11 said:
Sorry to go off topic, but instead of me making a topic. I believe I can get an answer here, whats a good registrar for .co.uk?

I was reading the negative reviews on 123-reg.co.uk, but those where from 2005-2006

I'v been using 123-reg for my .co.uk names for about 3 years, no problems at all yet although I hear their support is not very good.

My idea of a good registrar is one where you don't need to use their support :D ...so far they pass the test !

ps - If you reg a .co.uk make sure you use all your correct details when you register it.

•••
co.uk is the top cctld in the world imo

123-reg are better, they had been diabolical. heart are apparently quite good, although a good british registrar is a bit like rockinghorse shit B-)

•••
arnie said:
..... although a good british registrar is a bit like rockinghorse shit B-)

:lol: LMAO, have'nt heard that one before !!

•••
arnie said:
a good british registrar is a bit like rockinghorse shit B-)

:hehe:

You should definitely try NetNames. Their prices are simply unbeatable :

.co.uk : $50/year
.com : $70/year
.info : $70/year
.net/.org/.mobi : $70/year
.tv : $150/year

Those prices are exclusive of UK VAT (17.5%) and the minimum term is 2 years even for .com.

They make even Netsol's prices look like bargains. :)

•••
Moniker 6.95 per Year =P

•••
michaeldotcom said:

.com : $70/year
.info : $70/year
.net/.org/.mobi : $70/year
.tv : $150/year

Those prices are exclusive of UK VAT (17.5%) and the minimum term is 2 years even for .com.

He He ;)

•••
.co.uk domains are good for driving country orinted traffic. Sedo has unmatchable prices on .co.uk domains.

•••
The average price of .co.uk domain has risen 22% in the past 3 years while .com has fallen 18% over the same time period. (according to Sedo)

http://www.xbiz.com/news/94490

It's an adult industry news site.

•••
.CO.UK. Prestigious and Profitable.

•••
.co.uk is very strong at the moment.

However, future politics will decide how long it will continue to be successful. Scotland could be independent by 2010 which would mean an end to the UK as we know it. It could become like .su where it will be phased out for english, scottish, welsh and northern irish extensions. .sco for scotland is planned for 2010 and there is talk of moving all .co.uk names to the .sco equivalent.

•••
I kinda like .co.uk and I actually owned two of them

for-lease and re-fi both have hyphens

Would these two names better off with .DE? Since the Germans value the hyphen highly.

•••
michaeldotcom said:

Cost price of a .CO.UK is £5 + vat from Nominet so about $10 USD.

.co.uk is very strong at the moment.

However, future politics will decide how long it will continue to be successful. Scotland could be independent by 2010 which would mean an end to the UK as we know it. It could become like .su where it will be phased out for english, scottish, welsh and northern irish extensions. .sco for scotland is planned for 2010 and there is talk of moving all .co.uk names to the .sco equivalent.

Nothing that new there, and nothing firm just alot of noise at the moment. www.dotcym.org doteng.org are the same for english and welsh.

Oddly enough .UK was 'created' via Nominet by Willie Black - who was a scotsman. Other issues would lie with .sco / .scot / the existing .sc .

Not saying it will never happen, but on the radar of .co.uk I would not see it as an issue.

I ought to add I will be based in Edinburgh for abit in 08/09 so the above is not anti-nationalism in any way, just from the biz point of view :music:

•••
hey.co.uk said:
Cost price of a .CO.UK is £5 + vat from Nominet so about $10 USD.

I know, and that's why NetNames' prices for .co.uk, .com and the other TLDs are ridiculous.

I used to have one of my domains with NetNames for a while, and their customer service isn't even good to justify to some extent these extremely high prices. :td:

•••
Alright, thanks for all the information, and do I need a uk address?

If so I will go with 123-reg, since I heard they provide one.

gazzip said:
ps - If you reg a .co.uk make sure you use all your correct details when you register it.
What details?

•••
Well, I see many people PMS offering they .co.uk at my PM, ( for a wanted message i post ), and think enough people have to support it.

Is ready automatic but i dont plan to support .org.uk .

•••
Well thats definately good news.

One reason why I have held back on actually trying to sell some of the co.uks I have is because of the transfer process.

Looks like they have finally woken up to the age of the internet, and getting things done online and paper free !!

Alex

•••
It would be even better news if they scrap that rip off transfer fee.

•••
How about the 10 pounds fee for any transfer?

•••
CVCV.co.uk's?

There are tons of these things still around, do you think they are worth investing in, can you seem them going the same way as CVCV com's?

•••
Bad thing about them is you can't reg them from the US legaly.
Here's a few that dropped a few days ago that aren't bad...
uuuy.eu
gyyy.eu
xyyy.eu
mizi.eu
2332.eu
opdo.eu
ukbb.eu
tham.eu

•••
I'm in the UK so that's fine, I think I'll actually give the CVCV.co.uk's a miss thinking about it.

•••
Watch the co.uk aftermarket go way up, even with that transfer "tax" in place.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back