Dynadot

.uk The .CO.UK Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This being the cctld section of namepros I am sure the answers I get here will be somewhat bias:) But here is my questions:

I found several niche generic domains with rather good overture. I was debating on getting the .net or the .co.uk version.

Revenue is important in this decision with it being a solid overture number with .com I know this would do great, but obviously not many people would choose to type mygoodgenericname.net, BUT my do people type megoodgenericname.co.uk????

Thoughts? Sorry, I am just wading into the international ext world but was wondering how well generics do for type-ins.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pound said:
It's basically .com.uk for business/people (whereas .uk is the equivalent of .gov) but IMO .co.uk is better. Probably partly because we wanted to be different to the US - e.g. colour and color!

No it isn't gov.uk is used for government organisations.

•••
Peter said:

True - but see police.uk and nhs.uk . I think it is reserved for governmental organisations. To be honest I only own 3 .co.uk names so am hardly an expert!

•••
Pound said:
Peter said:

True - but see police.uk and nhs.uk . I think it is reserved for governmental organisations. To be honest I only own 3 .co.uk names so am hardly an expert!

My another guess is police.uk is registered before Nominet introduce .co.uk and others.

This happened to .my where we got jaring.my registered. That time there is not .com.my :)

•••
There was some discussion sometime ago about setting up *.uk domain registration but it was rejected. You can get *.uk.com from centralnic I have a site tickets.uk.com using that.

•••
quality said:
There was some discussion sometime ago about setting up *.uk domain registration but it was rejected. You can get *.uk.com from centralnic I have a site tickets.uk.com using that.

I really don't get centralnic, I don't see the appeal in reging second level.com domain names, perhaps someone could explain it to me? Mind you, its clear to see there is a lot of money to be made there for centralnic.

The only centralnic extension I would consider reging would be .la, and even that would be a novelty purchase. Just my personal position, of course.

•••
Sometimes the domains work if the site is well developed for example college.us.com gets a helluva lot of traffic.

•••
Buying .co.uk when the .com/.org are sold

Would it be wise to buy a good domain name with ccTLD .co.uk if the corresponding .com/.org are already sold out ? I recently stumbled on one such combination, but then realized that the corresponding .com had already sold for around USD 5K.

•••
Depends, cc-TLDs can be profitable if someone in that specific region would want to buy it one day, beware of Trademark and copyright issues. If you can get it at registration price and park it why not. :)

•••
SSandecki said:
Depends, cc-TLDs can be profitable if someone in that specific region would want to buy it one day, beware of Trademark and copyright issues. If you can get it at registration price and park it why not. :)

Thanks ! I have asked in the legal forum what happens if the .COM is not trademarked. But you bring up another point. Would I have to trademark the name both in the US and UK if I wanted to keep it. Discussion thread here
http://www.namepros.com/legal-issues-and-disputes/512959-buying-a-name-cctld-not-trademarked.html

•••
.co.uk

May I also add, watch out for language differences between US English and the queens English.

Also be aware some terms from different parts of the world may not be used in the region the cctld, or may even have a different meaning. Ie gas is petrol in the UK for example but theres many more. finally marking on a thread I saw a few days back here on name pros, it appears trademarks vary on different parts of the world so always do your research. The example i read was yellow pages is a TM in the UK but a generic term in the states apparently.

If your unsure of the term or word being used in the UK, please feel free to pm me. Or post it on this forum (prob best to reg it first if posting publicly :imho:
best of luck

•••
Buying .co.uk when .com/org is sold

I haven't got any responses in the Legal forum here, but let me ask this here anyway.

The name uses generic english words that are identical to both UK and US.
The name has not been trademarked yet (.COM) per the USPTO db.

So -
a. If the owner of the .COM trademarks the name, will I have to surrender the .CO.UK ?

b. Should I trademark the name with USPTO to reserver my rights to the .CO.UK ? (Will the US Trademark prevail also in the UK)

Thanks !

•••
Best place to park and sell .co.uk domains

Are there any UK specific domain parking/selling sites ? I see that most .co.uk are sold on sedo. What about Namedrive ? Any thoughts ?

•••
•••
Nominet EGM call - .uk in disarray

Dear Fellow Nominet Members,

Many of you will have read the on going Nominet board conflict on nom-steer and TheRegister:

Nominet top brass reject resignation call
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/14/nominet_no_resignations/

Nominet director quits over boardroom rift
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/13/nominet_director_resigns/

Rebel Nominet director calls for the heads of Chairman and CEO
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/10/nominet_resignation_call/

Mandelson’s dept mulls UK internet power grab
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/29/berr_nominet/

I am saddened to read the resignation letter by Angus Hanton and the revelations by Jim Davies.

These men have put their reputations, personal wealth and time on the line for us who elected them.

Many questions remain unanswered, such as those relating to executive pay, senior staff discipline and corporate governance.

Therefore, in my opinion, time has come to regain and safeguard membership control of Nominet, a key supplier to all our businesses.

I ask all those who wish to support a ‘vote of no confidence’ against the current board to contact [email protected] as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Andrew Bennett
www.ofnom.org.uk

•••
•••
Quick report on .co.uk domains:

I have regged over 100 domains in the last month and, other than those that have traffic, the best performing domain I own is a financial.co.uk. I regged about 15 financial keywords in this extension and they are pulling in page views.

Currently, they are at NameDrive, which seem to do well with European ccTLDs (though I am split testing three parking companies and the results are inconclusive so far- not enough data).

I should mention that the domain is not inherently "better" than the other .co.uk names I have regged. All were regged based on keyword analysis and trend projection and a few names have higher monthly search metrics. Based on the page views and 18% CTR, I could probably sell this now at minimum $500 but I think its just getting rolling.

In sum, my observation is that this is a strong extension in the financial sector and it is outperforming other extensions in my portfolio.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

•••
Adding Private Registration to .co.uk

Is it possible?

I have the domain managed by godaddy but hosted elsewhere

I'd like to add whois privacy

•••
My very first .co.uk

Going international!! Whoopeee.

Adventuresome.co.uk

Wasn't looking for .co.uk.... But it was avail, so I took it! :hehe:

•••
.CO.UK Discussion and Showcase!!

Hi everyone!

I just started reg'ing co.uk's as I have been noticing huge resale values at all the auctions!

I read somewhere... I think on this site... but not sure... That over 60% of the people living in the UK (don't forget..thats 4 countries!), will type in the .co.uk extension before typing in the .com extension! Amazing!

Here are my first 2 which I just picked up a few days ago..

Adventuresome.co.uk
Personaladds.co.uk
(spelling mistake of Personalads)

Looking forward to seeing what other great .co.uk names have been reg'd by Namepros Members, and hearing what some of the more experienced .co.uk domainers have to say!

Cheers!
Saucey.

•••
They are going strong at the moment :)

•••
.CO.UK article...Good Read!

The following article which I have posted below was originally posted on SEDO on 30/09/04 (4 1/2 years ago)

It's still a good read, and by my observations... very correct in predicting a strong market for .co.uk! 4 years later,and .co.uk sales at sedo are showing some pretty hefty $$$$'s for good .co.uk names!

Domains around the World: .CO.UK

A strong secondary market with a ccTLD that has not quite caught up; this means bargains and good investments for domainers!

The United Kingdom is a vibrant economy with a well educated and Internet savvy population, which makes it one of the strongest Internet markets worldwide. Despite widespread Internet use and domain registrations, some of the best bargains in the aftermarket are still to be found in the UK, especially among .co.uk domains. In this article, we will take a look at the reasons for this and also at the UK domain name market in general.

Overall Structure

The .uk ccTLD (including .me.uk, org.uk, .gov.uk) is operated by Nominet, a private, non-profit company, limited by guarantee. Registrations are handled more centrally than for other TLDs, with owners being registered both with a registrar (TAG holder) and Nominet.

Primary Market

The primary market (i.e. registrations) is finally out of its slump and industry growth has reached levels last seen during the 90s .com boom. This recovery and strong upturn in growth is not just limited to the TLD "king" .com--.co.uk is also showing significant growth in new registration. Nominet has indicated that it expects 2004 to be its most successful year since starting operations. Total .co.uk registrations have now reached around 4.5 million.

UK Market Share

The domain name market in the UK is well developed and is one of the top three markets worldwide along with Germany and the US. Statistics from Zooknic show that British registrants have the second highest number of domains registered (after US registrants) across all TLDs. The overall strength and growth of the UK primary market and especially the high UK market share (relative to other countries), also makes the UK one of the most important secondary markets.

Secondary Market

Sedo's recent experience shows that the aftermarket has picked up dramatically and is now in a strong growth period. Unlike its competitors, Sedo fortunately never experienced a "slump" period and expanded mainly due to its strong international position. This continual growth and recent strong upswing in the market is also occurring in the British aftermarket.

Many, and often the best, sales go unmentioned as they are between private parties and\or subject to confidentiality agreements. This is especially true in the .co.uk market where many players are unwilling to divulge details of sales in an effort to keep market prices down.

However, for all the recent strong.co.uk sales there have been an equally high amount of bargain .co.uk sales so far this year. Sales like Subculture.co.uk for £400, Ann.co.uk for £400 and Amatuer.co.uk for £2,500 are typical of large discrepancy between value and price in the .co.uk market, and show that there are still a lot of bargains to be had.

.Co.Uk Lags Behind

Sedo has been a key part of the recent boom in the secondary market and this success has been broad-based across all international markets. The UK market has grown proportionally with the rest of the aftermarket. The UK represents an important segment of Sedo's customer base, however, .co.uk domain sales have some way to go to catch up to sales of other TLDs.

This "catching up" becomes even more apparent when you compare the success of the .de ccTLD with that of .co.uk. The .de market in Germany mirrors that of .com elsewhere, including some strong 6-figure sales. Sales in volume roughly equal those of .coms at Sedo (this at over $5 million in sales year-to-date) and have a promising future. So why is the .de so much more successful than the .co.uk?

Why the lag?

There could be a myriad of reasons for the .co.uk sales lagging behind other TLD sales in the UK market, and significantly behind the analogous .de in Germany. Here we take a look at the most plausible reasons for the discrepancies, which we see as:

* Market size
* TLD preference - ".com distraction"
* Paperwork intensive and costly transfers
*Lack of focused marketplace and community

Germany's larger population could be a major reason for the difference. However, recent studies show that the UK Internet market overall equals or exceeds that of Germany. These results seem to indicate that market size is not as large of a factor as population would have you believe.

Recent studies have shown some distraction from .co.uk to .com, but seem to indicate that UK users prefer .co.uk over .com to a higher degree even than German users' preference for .de. However, the UK does have a larger share of registered gTLDs than Germany. Also, the low percentage of .co.uk sales at Sedo, when compared with the total number of sales involving UK-based users, seems to indicate a preference in the UK for other TLDs over the .co.uk ccTLD. So there does seem to be a significant degree of ".com distraction" in the UK domain market.

One major barrier to domain speculation and a vibrant aftermarket in the .co.uk TLD is the paperwork-intensive transfer process imposed by Nominet. Additional fees (GBP 35) for a transfer levied by Nominet depress "low-end" sales. Furthermore, UK privacy laws allow individual users to leave the WHOIS registry blank for their domains. This anonymity restricts the acquisition of domains and makes a sales platform such as Sedo all the more critical for secondary market success.

Finally, the fragmented nature of the UK domain name secondary market contributes to the current UK aftermarket. Currently no pure UK-based domain forum or online domain journal exists to exclusively cater to the UK market. Sedo has no major competitors in the UK, and was able to fairly quickly consolidate majority market share as an outsider. These factors all play a role in creating a strong secondary market. More involvement from a UK domain name community is certainly one the keys to realizing this market's potential in the future.

The Future!

Sedo has been working hard to expand into the UK aftermarket and raise the awareness of British domainers to the opportunities in the UK and more specifically the .co.uk market. Sedo is continually working with many of its UK partners to build a true community and network of domainers of all levels from professional to small market. This effort culminated recently in the Sedo-sponsored Domain Conference in London this past July[2004]. Overall the current growth seems likely to continue and increase, eventually leading to a maturing of the market where .co.uk sales will fall in line with their potential. Of course as long as the current situation still exists there are many bargains for domainers in the UK market, especially when hunting for .co.uk names! So get out there and find that bargain .co.uk!

http://www.sedo.com/links/showhtml.php3?Id=1000&language=e[/url]

Go .co.uk!
Saucey :gn:

•••
Also picked up UsaTv.co.uk

For all those UK'ers looking for american programs... :laugh:

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Just a few:

FoodRecipe.co.uk

InvestMoney.co.uk

FoodGiftBasket.co.uk

Suche.co.uk

SpaceTrip.co.uk

HouseForRent.co.uk

NuclearBomb.co.uk

Preforeclosure(s).co.uk

Sold a few in the past years.

Last edited:
•••
BritishColonies.co.uk
Cadastre.co.uk
CrisisCenter.co.uk
Disconnections.co.uk
DomainsList.co.uk
Faks.co.uk
Fanaticism.co.uk
I-C-Q.co.uk
Papacy.co.uk
Potsdam.co.uk
Prefecture.co.uk
ReExport.co.uk
RiskFactors.co.uk
Submenu.co.uk
Tegucigalpa.co.uk
TeleTrader.co.uk
TheChristmas.co.uk

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back