IT.COM

discuss The 3D Showcase and Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone! The 3D market appears to be exploding! Record takes at the box office by movies such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland and the announcement this week of the new 3D TV which is set to hit markets shortly have helped buoy interest in 3D multimedia platforms. Even the major American television network NBC has jumped in and will be broadcasting the NCAA Final Four basketball games in 3D!

A direct beneficiary from this renewed interest and greatly improved 3D technology is the domain business. Some of you had foresight many years ago and reg'd great names early on. Others (myself included) have only become aquainted with 3D domaining more recently, but see the huge potential this market has opened up for domainers.

Let this be the place for you to show off your 3D domain names. Ask for opinions, marketing strategies or even an appraisal or guesstimation of value. Also, feel free to post any relevant news releases/articles related to the 3D industry.

I will start the thread off with a few of my own reg's..

3DHighDefinitionTV.com (also have plural)
3DHomeEntertainment.co.uk
3DHometheaters.org
3DStreamingMovie.com
3DVancouver.com
3DWhistler.com

Saucey. ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wow, 600, I have about 30-40

Just grabbed one more, its in the naughty 3D thread lol

•••
I have some killer dating names (3dDatingSite.com... 3dMatchMaker.com... Etc) and every top category for the books (3dHistoryBooks.com.... 3dFictionBooks.com...etc) ...

How does anyone feel about these niches?

Thnx!

Existing video & pic profile dating services can easily incorporate 3D IF need be. I don't see people creating yet another profile just for the 3D feature.

Pop-up books are 3D books. Reading page after page of 3D text is not likely to be a popular sales point. The new Video book format with the most traction right now is called VOOK(.com). A true "3D Book" would be a new format... which I would imagine might look something like the opening video at ReaderTV.com --but at what point does a "book" become a video or film?

Disclaimer: readertv.com is my (recently launched) site; actually its more of a 'placeholder page'... though there are about a hundred vids in the player... and I'm thinking about integrating everything into a custom player and not build a conventional site, afterall it is Reader TV!

•••
3D Domain Portfolios

Who has the most 3D domains?

Anyone have 500? 1,000?

3DNamesForSale.com has several large 3D Portfolios for viewing.

Latest Regs:
3D101.org
Child3DGlasses.com
3DFaceSpace.com

•••
WOW 600!! Thats a mind blowing figure:) But I guess one big sale and you'll more than break even and with such a huge number, the odds of one big sale is very high.

I have just 12 3D names :(

•••
I hear this one a lot... "Diversify"... "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"
.. i thnk - and believe - that that's where the BEAUTY of ths whole 3d market exists... yes, it may be the 'tech sector', but i am also involved in a LOT of different niches, even with the 3d... Consider these industries that i will be able to tap into:

Games
Movies
Home Architect
Adult
Science
Auto's
Real Estate
Dating
Education
Travel
Web Development
Electronics
Medical

.. and yes, even more.

Again, yes - 'tech sector' - but i will still have something that every one of those industries will want - 3d Domain name for THEIR business or field.

And my last position on that outlook is one of the simplest in business:
Stick To What You Know!
:)

- - - - -

As for books.. Korea already has 3d Books... but it appears to be Augmented Reality, which will probably also be 'nicknamed' 3-D, as all other 3d wireframing and cad and animation has become known.

http://techtickerblog.com/2010/03/24/forget-3d-tvs-south-koreans-get-3d-books-video/

- - - -

As for 600 names...
... take away those dot-info's and you're really looking at 350 .. subtract my 70 dot us's and i'm down to really 280, which is stil a lot of names, but not really the 600 it seems.

I was hoping for at least thirty $100 names from the dot-info's and the dot-us's and i have my money back without touching the good stuff. Even if all the others dropped (which they won't), how do you possibly argue with a free inventory of 3d Domain names for free??

Next year, i will be looking at a $2,000 re-reg fee, with 60 dot-co.uk names being regged for two years, i should be ok until then.

Bewteen affiliate marketing, ppc (google and parked), whatever very limited sales so far, i have been putting aside $150 a month towards next year's fee's, as i will need the time, and even at $15 a name across the board - it still makes financial sense to do it this way... i'm even going to re-reg about 50 dot-info's at the $7... same theory - even at $8 for two years, it makes sense.

I have already deemed about 40 of them as 'future drops'... i will be posting these for sale in July / August - with about 6 months remaining on reg... anywhere from $25 - $50 a name... if anyone would like to see my early list as of now, pm me and you can have first crack at it... whenever, if ever.

Last edited:
•••
Having 600 domains in 1 niche is a sure fire way to bancrupcy lol. Think of the renewal fee's.... and the fact you would have to sell several to make any profit. Good luck to those who have tried to splash and grab technique, ive settled at around 16 domains myself.

•••
WOW 600!! Thats a mind blowing figure:) But I guess one big sale and you'll more than break even and with such a huge number, the odds of one big sale is very high.
Easier said than done. At approx. $8/year per domain, do the math. You need to make $5K in sales before you turn a profit. Likely ?
Given the average quality showcased in this thread I am inclined to say no.
People are going to experience serious cash flow problems. Believe me, it takes experience and focus to build a self-sustaining portfolio. Quality always wins over quantity.

•••
* Edit

Last edited:
•••
Having 600 domains in 1 niche is a sure fire way to bancrupcy lol. Think of the renewal fee's.... and the fact you would have to sell several to make any profit. Good luck to those who have tried to splash and grab technique, ive settled at around 16 domains myself.

There's a monthly overhead in ANY business you decide to run .. domaining should be no different

$150 a month is very affordable to run a business with the upside i have.

•••
How does 600 renewals ($5,000) work out to $150/month?

225 domains @ $8 would work out to $150/month.

Brad

There's a monthly overhead in ANY business you decide to run .. domaining should be no different

$150 a month is very affordable to run a business with the upside i have.

•••
I have about 170 dot-info names that will either be sold or dropped. I will start really pushing more of these come July/August/September, as their should be much more awareness by then. Out of the $250 i spent on dot-info's, i already made back $100 on one fellow dot-info, so this should be relatively easy to recover and profit from considering the quality my dot-info's have.

I also planned on using a few of these as give-aways for joining my 3dNewsForum.com site (just an idea)

.. the 60 dot uk names are all two year registrations and nothing to worry about this year as well.

and there are probably 30-40 others that i have already deemed droppable... with a little bit of luck, i am able to cut my losses with some cheap sales... they're really not horrible names, but as is the nature of the business, not all get to return next year.
Some examples of this years future drops are ?

3dCableCompany.com, 3dViewerKit.com, The3dPc.com, 3dMoviePlanet.com, HD3dPDP.com (Plasma Disc Player)... etc

no, not great names, but should some of them get $28 at bido or ebay or godaddy? .. probably - once some products start getting introduced i have a better chance of at least getting my money back... i would need to sell 7 names on Bido at $30 a pop to absorb my dot-com drops.. sounds pretty reasonable, as i'm sure a few of these "would-be drops" will fetch a few dollars more (not much though) Think of it as a little longer and a little more risky than "Tasting" (which i don't do)

all told, i will re-reg about 300 names at year's end (give or take)

It is my opinion that we will have to wait until 2011 - 2012 to really receive optimal returns on these names and i am planning accordingly.

As of now, i started making about $50 a month in affiliates and clicks alone (without even a market to speak of) so this is also encouraging. i doubt one person sold a 3dTv through an affiliate this year.

It seems that most people who talk about the re-reg don't plan properly or look at this enough as a real business. WHY??

'Ya need money to make money'!.

.. $100 - $150 a month is responsible, it's smart and it's affordable for a business like this with such high upside... don't forget, i'm a web designer AND an art director, so not much money goes into developing or graphics from my end... this is actually a pretty good gig for someone with my skillset.

One of my main goals is to be able to make all my money back - PLUS, next year's registration - without touching any major names.. i want to be able to look at my list and know that it all was free!!! I think if ... er - WHENi am able to do that, the sky's the limit :)
(ok, maybe not the sky, but you know what i mean)

... i think i easily have more than FIFTY $100 names in my portfolio - even you would have to agree on that bmum.

.. and if nothing else, no matter how flawed you may see it, i started with and still have a plan, which is more than a lot of people can say.

Njoy :)

Last edited:
•••
Just regd

3dcellphonereviews.com

•••
.. and if nothing else, no matter how flawed you may see it, i started with and still have a plan, which is more than a lot of people can say.

Njoy :)
Plan? What's that? I register everything i can find with gay abandon, and i'm not even gay, although i may abandon searching for 3d names!!!!! I've been through plan A to plan Z and am now on plan 3DAD (3 Disasters A Day) which i have listed below.

Shame ego3d has gone, unless you have it of course. Perhaps huge-ego3d is avail!!!

regged coms yesterday country codes:-
ZM3D Zambia (been there)
GY3D Guyana
3DMQ Martinique (would like to go there)

regged coms today:-
3dholiday
3dreggae
url3d

•••
This was posted for me by a buddy in another forum
"3d E-Readers"

BTW...
... there is a very cool '3d Directory' i came across...
.. . titled, simply 3dDirectory.net.

It says they will list developed 3d Web Sites there for free for now.
I checked with Google and they already have a PR1, so maybe some of you may benefit from listing your names there?

It seems pretty cool.. either way ... thought some of you might want to add your names there (?)

Good luck all.

•••
•••
•••
Hey john you are aware the renewal for .info goes up to $10 in the second year i hope, just hope you have factured that in , plus .us if purchased from godaddy will also increase , i know your not stupid , but just letting you know in case you overlooked this info in working out you monthly figures

Me i have about just over 50 3d names , but as a result of this thread i have about 5 AR names which are fast disappearing as well

Good luck to all

•••
Hey john you are aware the renewal for .info goes up to $10 in the second year i hope, just hope you have factured that in , plus .us if purchased from godaddy will also increase , i know your not stupid , but just letting you know in case you overlooked this info in working out you monthly figures

Me i have about just over 50 3d names , but as a result of this thread i have about 5 AR names which are fast disappearing as well

Good luck to all

appreciate the heads up Evirtual :)
.. but yes, i am aware of the changes in renewal fee's.

BTW...
... GoDaddy prices will increase by $1 a .com after July 1st of this year (make note of this everybody), so i will take whatever i have put aside as of the last week of June and renew a handful of those.. with the numbers i have, it will save me a decent amount of money.

.. as for dot info's .. i have some nice $6.99 renewal codes and some more renewal dot-us codes that will save me a lot of money as well.

- - - - -

other niche's i have bought into, albeit not as much as 3d are:
• AR
• Touch
• Gesture
• RGBy TV

i think i only own about 5-10 names per each niche, but these, to me, are the next wave - POST 3d. If/when i am able to recover MOST of my money, i will buy more into the others as this is what i am waiting on to do so.

... and yes.. good AR names are REALLY hard to find.
.. my best so far? "AR Presentations.com" - (i also have the singular)

Thanks again E

•••
•••
Easier said than done. At approx. $8/year per domain, do the math. You need to make $5K in sales before you turn a profit. Likely ?
Given the average quality showcased in this thread I am inclined to say no.
People are going to experience serious cash flow problems. Believe me, it takes experience and focus to build a self-sustaining portfolio. Quality always wins over quantity.

I'm still not sure if your views are just 'old' or 'stubborn' - no matter how u look at it, I do find your posts - and timing of such - as very amusing, so keep me smiling.

In a two year span, I will have spent a total of $5,000 if I stick to my plan as structured. TWO years.
That gives me two years to sell only FIFTY names at hundred dollars to split even.
That's unreasonable to you?
A hundred dollars a name would be a bargain for most of my names even at this early stage.

Show me another business with this kind of upside that will cost you less than that?
Maybe I'm mistaken, which could still be, but between some of the early offers and early sales numbers, this seems to very attainable.

And it seems that you, personally, have a hard time planning on renewals and find that time of year to be hard, but maybe it's YOU that are wrong for not planning properly with such valuable real estate... but maybe you also don't have valuable real estate because your too busy ripping those that actually 'Chase' the dream and spend the time researching.... so be it...
I've grown to love your kind for allowing the rest of us to even have the opportunity to scoop these up.... without "domainers" like yourself (assuming you are a domainer?) I never would have been able enter this game this way.

Quality over quantity is a philosophy....
For the same $5,000 who's to say your one or two valuable names doesn't go down in value while fifty of mine begin to pass yours by?

Ya can't!!!!

Spending lots of money on a name doesn't guarantee you anything... for every example u are able to give me of such, I can show you countless others that went the complete opposite way as well.
... But good luck with your cheap jabs.

I look forward to your next post

Last edited:
•••
coms
3DYOSHI
3DSPEEDDATING
VIDEO3DPOKER

•••
i went to the big shopping centre today knowing one of the retailers was now selling 3dtvs and i walked over and put some glasses on and hey presto ............very cool , i moved to different angles to see if i could find a 'bad spot' but never did , the glasses didn't worry me one bit , this was a samsung television , on another note the salesman came over and said can i help you , i said i'm just having a look because i have the domain name 3dtv.tv .....he just gave me a blank stare !!!

•••
I have no interest in the adult domains, but I noticed an adult 3D domain at Sedo auction with a starting bid of 1000 Euro.

Last edited:
•••
I have no interest in the adult domains, but I noticed an adult 3D domain at Sedo auction with a starting bid of 1000 Euro.

Yeah, I saw that, it's someone on here if I remember correctly

•••
This has to be the longest ever 3d domain being offered for sale.
Just came across the for sale thread on g00gle :lol:

1animationflasharchitecture3dwebflashanimation dot com

creation date Aug 2001

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back