IT.COM

Steve Jobs (R.I.P.) 1955-2011

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MicroGuy

Miembro EspecialTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Rest in peace Steven Paul Jobs. A true innovator and a true genius.

•••
CNN is having interviews with people and they just said how "meticuolous" he was.
Apparently he called Google one day because the logo was off by a pixel,
and who else would have noticed that LOL

•••
R.I.P.

Sickos have already started registering domains with his name and trying to sell it here and on ebay.

•••
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. -Steve Jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Steve Jobs once said that one of the most painful episodes in his life, was his clash with the Beatles over the Apple trademark and domain name, given that he's a big Beatle maniac himself.

On a side note: I'm waiting for the first guy who will post a thread saying 'im so disgusted with this guy who regged stevejobsisdead.com'.

•••
On a side note: I'm waiting for the first guy who will post a thread saying 'im so disgusted with this guy who regged stevejobsisdead.com'.

why???

Are you supporting this kind of "ambulance chasing"?

You might want to get a job as paparazzi then....lol

cheers

liquid

•••
No matter how much your worth, Death does not discriminate.

•••
If it's any consolation, stevejobsisdead.com has been dropped 5 times already, and is about to expire in November.

40 dollars wasted, but all profit for the registrars who hosted the domain for nothing.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

No matter how much your worth, Death does not discriminate.
I wonder if he used all his money for cancer research, would it accelerate a cure???

•••
•••
I wonder if he used all his money for cancer research, would it accelerate a cure???

There is no single cancer so there is no single cure. It could definitely find improvements to treatments to many.

There will be no more confusion on my part when I read "America Loses Jobs" as a headline - now I will just know it's a tanking economy and not the start of a grieving period at Apple.

Steve Jobs was a unique individual and a creative visionary; however, I think that at the same time a lot of the work done by the people on his staff is overlooked. For a long time Apple has had great engineers and designers.

Jobs' primary achievements were recognizing and forging new business rules and parameters. He had a great understanding of market manipulation, market / customer management.

Steve Jobs was a champion of capitalism and founder of a new type of corporation. Jobs created the $400 personal music player built by Chinese immigrants making a few dollars a week stamping "Designed in Cupertino" on the side.

It's another perspective but it sounds far less inspiring that way but it doesn't make him any less brilliant.

RIP.

•••
Was shocked to hear about his demise.
May his soul rest in peace

•••
There is no single cancer so there is no single cure. It could definitely find improvements to treatments to many.
Steve Jobs was said to be not as "philantrophic" as his other billionaire counterparts:
http://theweek.com/article/index/218924/steve-jobs-curious-lack-of-public-philanthropy

Steve Jobs was a unique individual and a creative visionary; however, I think that at the same time a lot of the work done by the people on his staff is overlooked. For a long time Apple has had great engineers and designers.
That may be true. But then again, if you are just an employee working for a large Fortune 100 company, your achievements cannot rise above your status as "employee".

Nevertheless, Steve Jobs did have his name credited for 317 patents. That's a lot of patents.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/24/technology/steve-jobs-patents.html

Jobs created the $400 personal music player built by Chinese immigrants making a few dollars a week stamping "Designed in Cupertino" on the side.
Maybe you meant Chinese locals. He outsourced Apple manufacturing to China.

The Iphone Girl was one of Steve Job's biggest legacy to the Chinese.

•••
Definitely one of the irreplaceable greats of our time. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

•••
Steve Jobs was said to be not as "philantrophic" as his other billionaire counterparts:
http://theweek.com/article/index/218924/steve-jobs-curious-lack-of-public-philanthropy
I don't think it's fair to judge anyone for their giving because everyone could always give more until everyone had the same amount
We can't even get people to agree on a system of taxation that gets the poor decent and fair health care.
Who knows that his will contains, anyway. It doesn't change my opinion of him either way.

That may be true. But then again, if you are just an employee working for a large Fortune 100 company, your achievements cannot rise above your status as "employee".
These people aren't "employees" like most people. They are right-hand men. They are lead engineers and lead designers who have DIRECT influence on their "employer".

Jonathan Ive is not a regular employee.

Maybe you meant Chinese locals. He outsourced Apple manufacturing to China.
Chinese urban MIGRANTS.. not immigrants (I'm such a dolt sometimes!)

•••
One of the best innovator of our time.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

•••
•••
I don't think it's fair to judge anyone for their giving because everyone could always give more until everyone had the same amount
I think the "philantrophy" thing, always comes up as a stark reminder that you cannot bring your money to the AfterLife (afterlife.com is already taken, sorry).

Not a moral issue, but just some kind of arithmetic that if you have 10 billion dollars in your bank account, and you know you're going to die in 2 months time, you have no choice but to decide to pass ALL of it to someone else. So it's just a curiosity on where his wealth went.

These people aren't "employees" like most people. They are right-hand men. They are lead engineers and lead designers who have DIRECT influence on their "employer".

Jonathan Ive is not a regular employee.
In a huge corporation, you either get promoted to the "managerial level", or stay on as the "genius lab rat".

I don't think when Bill Gates went on to become the CEO for Microsoft, he still got the time to become the genius behind many of Microsoft's flagship products.

Steve Jobs' iconic stature, perhaps was also propelled by journalism and media coverage.

People never thought about Steve Jobs when they were enjoying watching "Toy Story" or "Finding Nemo". Movies don't give a spotlight on the company that made it (Pixar). But instead, it was Tom Hanks who was on the spotlight.

Steve Jobs' prominence was highlighted ten-fold by being the voice of Apple during Apple Developer's Conference where the famous products got launched to the world. And therefore, it was Steve Jobs' face that got embedded into peoples' minds.

And that's also the reason why Jonathan Ive, is not a household name. Jonathan Ive is Apple's genius lab rat.

•••
Rest in peace, Steve Jobs!

•••
•••
It was actually Steve Wozniak who built the computer, not Steve Jobs but without him going out and getting investment and actually selling the thing there would be no company. He turned a garage business from obscurity to being THE market leader and in so doing deserves his name in history.

Without him it is probably unlikely I would be writing this post as computers would probably still be a hobbyist curiosity :)

Every single company has its figurehead that gets in the news, the only way to beat this is to do it yourself lol

RIP Steve Jobs :)

•••
It was actually Steve Wozniak who built the computer, not Steve Jobs but without him going out and getting investment and actually selling the thing there would be no company.
Since the beginning of the Internet Era in the 90's, that role is now filled by Venture Capitalists and Private Equity Funds... the same people who funded Google, Yahoo, and Facebook.

Without these huge financiers (which people today don't care about because they're not sexy), perhaps Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Jerry Yang, or Mark Zuckerberg would still be in their dorm rooms today.

Most people don't pay attention to "visionaries", per se. They only "iconize" those that the media feeds to them on TV and magazines.

Without him it is probably unlikely I would be writing this post as computers would probably still be a hobbyist curiosity :)
You will end up typing on an IBM PC, running Windows XP and reading NamePros threads on the internet using Netscape Navigator.

Every single company has its figurehead that gets in the news, the only way to beat this is to do it yourself lol
Not all figurehead Titans get propelled into iconic status. A huge amount of "image marketing" is also needed.

Most people don't care about Michael Dell (Dell Computers), Larry Ellison (Oracle), Andy Grove (Intel), or even Scott McNealy (Sun-Java). I'm sure nobody knows the guy who brought Netscape and web browsing to the masses (Marc Andreesen).

But people know Richard Branson, because he is always in the news. Same with Steve Jobs.

•••
•••
Anyone can make technology - Steve's vision was to make it simple, make it eloquent, and make people want it. He was a genius and an artist and will be missed. Yes, there are and were many other great but lesser-known minds at Apple (and other companies), but he was the face and the force that drove the company.

I'm sure nobody knows the guy who brought Netscape and web browsing to the masses (Marc Andreesen).

(ahem - some of us were working in the tech business while that was happening)

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back