Domain Empire

Statement By Dan on Epik!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This statement was just released by Dan:

We’ve ignored many of their actions in the past, because we’re laser focused on executing our ambitious product roadmap. However, last Friday, Epik has taken their attacks of our brand to the next level by sending a fabricated story about us to over 100,000 contacts in a mass email. As of today, we still haven’t received an apology or explanation from them. Their primary goal with this email was to hurt our brand and to gain new customers and this attempt was pre-planned and announced by them in June 2020* (See exhibit #2).

Full statement:
https://blog.undeveloped.com/statement-about-recent-events-b7c875cc6314

Have anyone received that email from Epik attacking Dan? I wonder what is the fabricated story Dan taking about?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I posted regarding nTLDs.
This year for them is really very weak.

You haven't mentioned this in your above posts... Anyways, it only proves my point – your low sales (for nTLDs) have nothing to do with DAN/Epik.

•••
No blame... Just facts...
Lowball, fakes or non-payers...

Some Russian company even clearly informed me via WHOIS email that they will NOT pay to Dan their $1K marketplace bid...
They were ready to proceed only via REG.RU brokerage.
It was just recently, this summer.

And it has nothing to do with nTLDs.
On Epik and Dan most my domains are legacy.

Last edited:
•••
New to this whole dispute (if that's what you'd call it). Seems like lessons are needed all around. Marketing vs Mudslinging. Customer Service vs Rudeness/Retribution. Professional vs Petty. The list is getting longer.

edit: I am, of course, referring to epik / dan, not the discussion itself

Last edited:
•••
Let's not turn something that was meant for the greater good of the industry as some kind of condemnation for a good deed done by an Epik staff member on the weekend on the summer.

Shitting on @DAN.COM was meant for the greater good?

Last edited:
•••
No blame... Just facts...
Lowball, fakes or non-payers...
Some Russian company even clearly informed me via WHOIS email that they will NOT pay to Dan their $1K marketplace bid...
They were ready to proceed only via REG.RU brokerage.
It was just recently, this summer.

And it has nothing to do with nTLDs.
On Epik and Dan almost all my domains are legacy.
Got it. Thanks for additional info :xf.wink:

•••
I wonder what is the fabricated story Dan taking about?

Possible additional context detailed HERE

It seems to be some type of carry-over that briefly revealed itself in the comments of @Braden Pollock now deleted epik resignation tweet from June 2020.

Show attachment 164942
<<<>>>

The anti DAN marketing material referenced in the June 10th tweet might** be the image that resurfaced in this latest exchange.

**might theoreticized by recognizing the email received dates in "The Truth about Dan" screenshot from the August tweet is ranged from June 1st to June 4th.

More context to the current tweet exchange

Tweet string created by @Dosebuy ...

EgBEvoDXgAA7r9u

EgBEvxgWkAE9oVL

<<<>>>

@Rsardeha of @DAN.COM then responded, alleging Robert Davis (@Intelliname) was the poster of the screenshotted messages.

@Intelliname responded

Others have jumped in urging peace.

Meanwhile, the head of the ship, @Rob Monster appears to have stopped by to announce .VC promo. What's that old phrase again... don't trust a fart, and never waste a good PR scandal?

•••
I use both DAN and Epik, both of which are innovative companies that offer cost-effective solutions to the domain community, in my opinion.

Even though I am an Epik customer and have a number of .vc domain names without active landers, I did not receive the above email. When I first saw the DAN statement I quietly asked a few others who also had not received it.

It seems to me that the distribution of the email is greatly exaggerated in the DAN statement, and the degree of blocking is exaggerated in the Epik email posted above. Mistakes are made, but mistakes are sometimes how wars that benefit no one start.

I do a mix of DAN and Epik landers for names registered at Epik. I periodically check and to my knowledge I have never had any problem with blocking.

When DAN announced they would not transfer SAV registered names, it had a negative impact since domainers should not need to think about where a domain is registered to know if a marketplace will accept it. I don't know where that issue currently stands, or even the reasons for it really, but would hope that DAN can work effectively with all registrars.

As others have said above, I certainly hope that the companies will step back and seek solutions to perceived injustices in a spirit of cooperation, rather than ratchet up discord. This hurts our industry, hurts both companies, and hurts domainers. It also makes me sad.

Bob

"As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons." - Desiderata

•••
Let's not turn something that was meant for the greater good of the industry as some kind of condemnation for a good deed done by an Epik staff member on the weekend on the summer.

That's too easy Rob. He claims it's part of his personal issues with Dan yet he takes his grudge to bother your customers. It's not something done just on the weekend, it's an ongoing grudge by one of your staff members.

The claims are pathetic really. Just because some of your ips have been blocked doesn't mean this will have any impact on your sellers. I have yet to see any proof of mass blocking of ips. And if it really is a problem for you, as your personal ips are blocked , you are all tech savvy enough to use a vpn. Problem solved.

As for the supposed API issue. If there really is one, and there has been a data breach, Dan would be required to report that by law. If they don't and your employee has evidence, there are proper channels to report this to.

I cannot stress enough that bothering your customers with personal issues you have with another company and stooping to this level is absolutely not ok. No matter what the arguments are.

Still, it's a real shame that dan had blackballed sav domains.

So do they actually refuse to transfer SAV registered names? I have a hard time believing that. I can understand they don't want to work with them but you don't have to work with a company to get a domain out.

•••
The way that I look at this is that the more channels and platforms there are for domain sales the better it is for domainers and ultimately the better it is for the domain Industry as a whole, so it is against everyone's interest to allow any of these choices to be undermined. Both Epik and Dan have played an important part in bringing new innovations and ideas to the domain Industry and it will be a shame to see the bad blood that has developed between these and other companies to distract everyone from the main goal which is to have more domain sales across all platforms.

Those who are adding fuel to this fight are doing the domaining community a disservice, we need all sales platforms to be thriving and doing more sales and that can only be achieved if everyone is engaged in Fair Competition.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I use both DAN and Epik, both of which are innovative companies that offer cost-effective solutions to the domain community, in my opinion.

Even though I am an Epik customer and have a number of .vc domain names without active landers, I did not receive the above email. When I first saw the DAN statement I quietly asked a few others who also had not received it.

It seems to me that the distribution of the email is greatly exaggerated in the DAN statement, and the degree of blocking is exaggerated in the Epik email posted above. Mistakes are made, but mistakes are sometimes how wars that benefit no one start.

I do a mix of DAN and Epik landers for names registered at Epik. I periodically check and to my knowledge I have never had any problem with blocking.

When DAN announced they would not transfer SAV registered names, it had a negative impact since domainers should not need to think about where a domain is registered to know if a marketplace will accept it. I don't know where that issue currently stands, or even the reasons for it really, but would hope that DAN can work effectively with all registrars.

As others have said above, I certainly hope that the companies will step back and seek solutions to perceived injustices in a spirit of cooperation, rather than ratchet up discord. This hurts our industry, hurts both companies, and hurts domainers. It also makes me sad.

Bob

"As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons." - Desiderata

Here are the facts:

What is notable is that those 46 emails moved ~20,000 domains to Epik landers. I could understand why Reza might think it was a large campaign. It wasn't. Those are the facts.

Keep in mind that Robert Davis at one point had ~10,000 domains on Dan. He knows their product better than I ever did. I can say with confidence he genuinely tried to help Reza.

Truth be told: Robert is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. At the same time, his tolerance for fools is low. The man's talents are supernatural.

The Epik clients who have had the opportunity to work with Robert are better off for the experience.

Last edited:
•••
"No one ever wins a war."

A friend of mine said this often, and he was wise indeed, in my opinion.

•••
I use both Dan and Epik.

I like to use both Dan and Epik.

I will continue using both Dan and Epik.

Thank you Dan and Epik.

Now make peace ok.

Last edited:
•••
•••
It is too bad for both good companies.

You both will not only loose your customers. But also the trust you both had build these years.

This fight makes customers like me to get panic.
Many will simply move to other places as they don't have time to listen your street fight and judge.

You both have to settle quickly for your good.

Your biggest enemy is your EGO.
Quote by .... (Just me(y) )

•••
When we invite 46 existing clients to get on a marketing train, that is just co-creating abundance. That message adds value, and can stand on its own.

As an industry participant, I would say my over-arching theme has been to co-create abundance and to make the pie bigger -- bring new capital into the market.

Internally, our mantra is to "focus on the good".

It is regrettable that there was a public spat. Unfortunately, the groundless and non-factual accusation of sending 100,000 emails could not go unanswered. That gross errata remains un-redacted.

I will consider this matter closed when the erroneous Medium post has been removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Unfortunately, the groundless and non-factual accusation of sending 100,000 emails could not go unanswered.

Did you not consider "we were informed otherwise" as a sufficient answer?

Also, while on the subject of holding people accountable to unanswered questions, @Reza had asked you a question, to which you apparently ignored...

Also, you’re concluding that there was no malfeasance by Epik based on the claimed number of emails sent?

<<>>

<<>>

Last edited:
•••
When we invite 46 existing Epik clients to get on a marketing train, that is just co-creating abundance. That message adds value, and can stand on its own.

As an industry participant, I would say my over-arching theme has been to co-create abundance and to make the pie bigger -- bring new capital into the market.

I would say that Epik in its highest self looks like this:

https://epik.to/miracles

If you follow our Twitter handles, you will see an overwhelmingly positive theme. Internally, our mantra is to "focus on the good".

It is regrettable that there was a public spat. Unfortunately, the groundless and non-factual accusation of sending 100,000 emails could not go unanswered. That gross errata remains un-redacted.

I will consider this matter closed when the erroneous Medium post has been removed.

I was one of the 46 that received your “marketing” email and if you guys consider the content of that email to be marketing, I really suggest you hire some outside help.

Send out a campaign that talks about how good your platform is and why I should use your landers, don’t spend 3 paragraphs disparaging a competitor.

A registrar should be a neutral platform that instils a sense of security in its customers – I wouldn’t say Epik is doing either of those things right now (and it makes you guys look more like a used car lot than a tech company).

This is one of the few industries where the best competition is collaboration. We all have domains with multiple registrars and we all sell on multiple platforms. Keep things friendly and you’ll see success. Bothered by what another company is doing? Do it better and let your product speak for itself. I feel like DAN really excels at these two points.

Also, this “greater good” nonsense is ridiculous. If Epik was concerned about the greater good of the domain industry, it wouldn’t spend its time trying to take down innovator within in.

Figure it out, guys.

•••
No matter who's "right" or who's "wrong" this leaves me feeling like I'd rather not use either service. Based on the Twitter rabbit hole. Neither seems capable of disengaging publicly.

•••
•••
I was one of the 46 that received your “marketing” email and if you guys consider the content of that email to be marketing, I really suggest you hire some outside help.

Send out a campaign that talks about how good your platform is and why I should use your landers, don’t spend 3 paragraphs disparaging a competitor.

A registrar should be a neutral platform that instils a sense of security in its customers – I wouldn’t say Epik is doing either of those things right now (and it makes you guys look more like a used car lot than a tech company).

This is one of the few industries where the best competition is collaboration. We all have domains with multiple registrars and we all sell on multiple platforms. Keep things friendly and you’ll see success. Bothered by what another company is doing? Do it better and let your product speak for itself. I feel like DAN really excels at these two points.

Also, this “greater good” nonsense is ridiculous. If Epik was concerned about the greater good of the domain industry, it wouldn’t spend its time trying to take down innovator within in.

Figure it out, guys.

Thanks @Sasan.

Great job on getting some dynamite .VC domains last week. I bet you will do great regardless where they are parked. It is regrettable that your .VC domains did not make it into our highlight reel.

And if you can make a sale on Dan, I will still be happy for you and for Dan!

•••
@Sasan is dead on in his analysis of this.

Calling this "marketing" is absurd. I think the word I more associate with it is "sleazy".

Also, like usual Rob is using a thread to post more unrelated self promotional material.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Mr. Monster, you are making this personal. Not very professional. What's next, you're going to talk about the domains i have registered with Epik ?

•••

If this was sent to (1) person for (1) million people it was still extremely unprofessional.

As usual though, everyone else can see mistakes were made. However, Epik will not admit that and double down on it.

Brad

•••
I will tell you a true story.

I just helped a guy in Louisiana close a sale for a .VC domain. The buyer is in Orange County. The seller is dealing with a hurricane tide surge. He told me it was the biggest sale he had ever gotten. Timely cash.

I have no idea whether domains parked elsewhere missed out on sales but we are selling .VC domains in 4 and 5 figures daily for the past week delivering solid ROI.

You folks that want to stir the pot are free do so,my staff will focus on helping clients close deals. Hopefully many of them will use their windfalls to empower something good. #PayItForward

•••
I will tell you a true story.

I just helped a guy in Louisiana close a sale for a .VC domain. The buyer is in Orange County. The seller is dealing with a hurricane tide surge. He told me it was the biggest sale he had ever gotten. Timely cash.

I have no idea whether domains parked elsewhere missed out on sales but we are selling .VC domains in 4 and 5 figures daily for the past week delivering solid ROI.

You folks that want to stir the pot are free do so,my staff will focus on helping clients close deals. Hopefully many of them will use their windfalls to empower something good. #PayItForward

You are really going to act like this is about helping others and not helping Epik? Please.
In this thread you have spammed Epik self promotion.

All your pay it forward, empowerment, grow the pie, greater good platitudes are completely transparent and self serving.

plat·i·tude
noun
a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful.

Your actions here were extremely unprofessional. Period.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back