Dynadot

Statement By Dan on Epik!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This statement was just released by Dan:

We’ve ignored many of their actions in the past, because we’re laser focused on executing our ambitious product roadmap. However, last Friday, Epik has taken their attacks of our brand to the next level by sending a fabricated story about us to over 100,000 contacts in a mass email. As of today, we still haven’t received an apology or explanation from them. Their primary goal with this email was to hurt our brand and to gain new customers and this attempt was pre-planned and announced by them in June 2020* (See exhibit #2).

Full statement:
https://blog.undeveloped.com/statement-about-recent-events-b7c875cc6314

Have anyone received that email from Epik attacking Dan? I wonder what is the fabricated story Dan taking about?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's too easy Rob. He claims it's part of his personal issues with Dan yet he takes his grudge to bother your customers. It's not something done just on the weekend, it's an ongoing grudge by one of your staff members.

The claims are pathetic really. Just because some of your ips have been blocked doesn't mean this will have any impact on your sellers. I have yet to see any proof of mass blocking of ips. And if it really is a problem for you, as your personal ips are blocked , you are all tech savvy enough to use a vpn. Problem solved.

As for the supposed API issue. If there really is one, and there has been a data breach, Dan would be required to report that by law. If they don't and your employee has evidence, there are proper channels to report this to.

I cannot stress enough that bothering your customers with personal issues you have with another company and stooping to this level is absolutely not ok. No matter what the arguments are.

So do they actually refuse to transfer SAV registered names? I have a hard time believing that. I can understand they don't want to work with them but you don't have to work with a company to get a domain out.
Dan does not accept a push from SAV

•••
I don't think that somebody can count on the few cents made after paying the ICANN and verisign fees. They count to make more money if the customer will make an aftermarket sale or build a website.
Yep. Domain names have always been an entry point for the registrars to upsell the customer to hosting or other services.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Yep. Domain names have always been an entry point for the registrars to upsell the customer to hosting or other services.

Regards...jmcc
I think that if @DAN.COM will build a registrar on minimum prices, a few cents on top of fees, to cover expenses, they could hit the jackpot, with a prelisting agreement that they will handle everything in a fraction of the time. It could be like an afternic fast transfer with much better customer service for buyers and no headache for sellers, with payouts in a few hours( they can handle the push, they have the auth codes) and 25% of afternic fees.

•••
I think that if @DAN.COM will build a registrar on minimum prices, a few cents on top of fees, to cover expenses, they could hit the jackpot, with a prelisting agreement that they will handle everything in a fraction of the time. It could be like an afternic fast transfer with much better customer service for buyers and no headache for sellers, with payouts in a few hours( they can handle the push, they have the auth codes) and 25% of afternic fees.

They've said earlier on they will be offering domains at cost. For a registrar their size that would be a gamechanger. And yes, domain delivery within minutes. Can't wait.

•••
On the subject of fair competition and fair trade,

Who is making all these fake bids at some of the sales platforms (and also auctions) and why is it that some platforms are having more than their fair share of these fake bids.

This is the biggest thing that has plagued the domain Industry, whether these fake bids are by random (which I doubt it) or are being done purposely as a part of a conspiracy to undermine the competition (or in the case of auctions to drive up the prices) it needs to be looked at more closely.

IMO

•••
Sedo whilst I’ve never personally sold a domain with them, top the weekly domain sales charts more than any other marketplace, so I’m not sure why you think the best times are behind them when they showing no signs of slowing down.

as long as they do so
we can't expect them to adopt

the best times
for us as their customers
are long gone
those times existed when they were the only player

that's really, really log ago

2004 maybe ?

•••
They've said earlier on they will be offering domains at cost. For a registrar their size that would be a gamechanger. And yes, domain delivery within minutes. Can't wait.

personally, I'm very glad Epik and DAN didn't merge

and actually I think we all can be

DAN Epik peace or not
that doesn't bother me

but I do think DAN should not ban SAV domains

•••
Anyone can start a price war but it is generally only the larger players who can end it. When they do, the small player is generally the loser. The domain names at or near cost is used by a lot of registrars targeting the low end (high turnover) of the retail market. While a sales/auction registrar idea is interesting, some of the other large players have their own registrars and if they saw Dan.com being successful with this model, they would do it themselves. In terms of transferring into Dan as a registrar, it would cost the registrant/seller and I'm not sure that Dan.com would want to cover these costs initally.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Epik in fact was in the process of buying the company, until they realized the depth of problems that existed behind the scenes.

personally, I'm very glad Epik and DAN didn't merge

Hi

where i read, is mostly in between the lines
and the first scent from the smell test...
alludes to a tactic, which may have been predicated by the failure of the "process" in initial quote.

as, if one can denigrate the stability, security, usability functions, etc of an entity,
then their capital could be affected, which would reduce their resistance to takeover.

now, i'm not saying that's what it is,
but i've inhaled similar scents before

it's almost like
another domainer saying your domain has non premium letters, so it's not worth your asking price.

simple jedi mind trick, except on a mass scale

imo....

•••
Hi

where i read, is mostly in between the lines
and the first scent from the smell test...
alludes to a tactic, which may have been predicated by the failure of the "process" in initial quote.

as, if one can denigrate the stability, security, usability functions, etc of an entity,
then their capital could be affected, which would reduce their resistance to takeover.

now, i'm not saying that's what it is,
but i've inhaled similar scents before

it's almost like
another domainer saying your domain has non premium letters, so it's not worth your asking price.

simple jedi mind trick, except on a mass scale

imo....
When did I say that? :xf.smile:(n)

Edit:
@biggie think you misquoted me for someone else, I am not that eloquent....

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
@biggie think you misquoted me for someone else, I am not that eloquent....

the quote, was taken from letter you posted
but i think you have eloquence, in your own way

imo....

•••
the quote, was taken from letter you posted
but i think you have eloquence, in your own way

imo....
You old charmer......thanks (I think)

•••
•••
On the subject of fair competition and fair trade,

Who is making all these fake bids at some of the sales platforms (and also auctions) and why is it that some platforms are having more than their fair share of these fake bids.

This is the biggest thing that has plagued the domain Industry, whether these fake bids are by random (which I doubt it) or are being done purposely as a part of a conspiracy to undermine the competition (or in the case of auctions to drive up the prices) it needs to be looked at more closely.

IMO

There is a considerable number of "networks" / "clusters" that play some kind of agency or broker role - in essence: front runners buoyed up by some of well known individuals ... is a real tragedy that is impacting dn aftermarket. Pressure-Vacuum Makers or Resetting aftermarket price interrupters ... yet another story. No further comments. Good luck!

Regards

•••
Anyone can start a price war but it is generally only the larger players who can end it. When they do, the small player is generally the loser. The domain names at or near cost is used by a lot of registrars targeting the low end (high turnover) of the retail market. While a sales/auction registrar idea is interesting, some of the other large players have their own registrars and if they saw Dan.com being successful with this model, they would do it themselves. In terms of transferring into Dan as a registrar, it would cost the registrant/seller and I'm not sure that Dan.com would want to cover these costs initally.

Regards...jmcc
I'm not talking about starting a war, the $8 and something is offered by tons of other registrars, the idea is that they will not need to make any profit from the registrar division, they use the registrar just to make everything smoother and faster, they control the transfer, so nobody will need to wait for a transfer code, to confirm the receiving of the domain and others, so practically, a seller could be paid minutes after the buyer pays, so it will be game changing. Also, the buyer could get the domain within minutes after he paid, so that will mean a big change, compared with afternic or godaady who needs 5 days to check the funds, 11-13 days to pay the seller and charges 20% commission. Also, there is no reason for a domain to be transferred right away, you can do it before renewal time, so it will be no cost for anybody. They have already the marketplace, over 1 million domains using their nameservers, so I can bet that there will be a ton of domainers who will be happy to use this. Of course other registrars have they own marketplaces, but g as I know, excepting epik- who has a smaller user base and less domains for sale( to bad that the two most innovators in the industry are wasting time doing this), none of the big players are not doing it( small commission, fast transfer, fast payment, no headache. Why, probably they count on their long time users or it's to much headache for them.

Last edited:
•••
Main advantage for me at Epik and Uni - their internal balance.
Dan and Sedo can't accumulate my money to withdraw it later in the required amount.

•••
There is a considerable number of "networks" / "clusters" that play some kind of agency or broker role - in essence: front runners buoyed up by some of well known individuals ... is a real tragedy that is impacting dn aftermarket. Pressure-Vacuum Makers or Resetting aftermarket price interrupters ... yet another story. No further comments. Good luck!

Regards

Anticompetitive and unfair trade practices that are designed to target the consumers or the competition in negative ways have gotten many companies large and small in trouble in the past.

Once the domain Industry becomes the focus of attention same as some of the tech companies that we hear about on the news then no matter how well these Individuals and Companies try to cloak their wrong activities they will get exposed after the many layers of protection that they have created around themselves are taken away and their true identities and intentions are revealed for everyone to see.

Those who want to continue with these anticompetitive and unfair practices are sooner or later going to get the whole domain Industry in trouble and ultimately will cause the Industry to be regulated even further and be restricted in so many new ways.

The Domainers and Companies that are involved in the domain Industry have a good thing going for them and perhaps are even enjoying a boon even as many other Industries are shrinking,

So ask yourselves,

Why let a few Individuals and Companies who don't want to play by the rules ruin a good thing for everyone else.

The idea is to have more sales across all platforms and everyone will benefit if the domain Industry collectively works towards this goal.

Positive and Constructive Competition = Everyone Wins!

Anticompetitive and Unfair Practices = Everyone loses!

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I'm not talking about starting a war, the $8 and something is offered by tons of other registrars, the idea is that they will not need to make any profit from the registrar division, they use the registrar just to make everything smoother and faster, they control the transfer, so nobody will need to wait for a transfer code, to confirm the receiving of the domain and others, so practically, a seller could be paid minutes after the buyer pays, so it will be game changing.
They would have to cover the costs of operating as a registrar and ensure that the registrant pays for the domain names.

They have already the marketplace, over 1 million domains using their nameservers, so I can bet that there will be a ton of domainers who will be happy to use this.
Perhaps. But there is a switching cost involved in moving a domain name from one registrar to another. The existing users have all used other registrars. Having everything on one registrar would make things a lot easier but there are always costs involved. The worst thing that DAN could do is to try buy market share by subsidising transfers or new registrations. It would be a bet on the domain names being sold and getting a commission on sales. If the opportunity for domainers to integrate registrations and sales site is a good one, then it should sell itself.

Regards...jmcc

•••
While being their own registrar would be advantageous in a number of ways, and a natural step that DAN have publicly talked about for some time, one consequence as I understand it is that due to the registry restriction regarding .in domain names, if they are a registrar for those names they can not also handle aftermarket sales. I guess the obvious solution would be to be a registrar, but not for that TLD. With .in becoming more and more important as an extension, I have never understood the reasoning for this rule. It places Sedo and DAN (currently) able to handle them, but Afternic and the registrar marketplaces not, as I understand it.

More generally, if DAN were a registrar with competitive prices they would gain a lot of market share quickly I think, just because of the ease of handling transfers.

I think the existing registrar marketplaces, will all continue to do well too though.

As noted above, making the economics of being a registrar work usually stands partly on funds made from the more lucrative aspects like selling web hosting and other services.

Bob

•••
They would have to cover the costs of operating as a registrar and ensure that the registrant pays for the domain names.

Perhaps. But there is a switching cost involved in moving a domain name from one registrar to another. The existing users have all used other registrars. Having everything on one registrar would make things a lot easier but there are always costs involved. The worst thing that DAN could do is to try buy market share by subsidising transfers or new registrations. It would be a bet on the domain names being sold and getting a commission on sales. If the opportunity for domainers to integrate registrations and sales site is a good one, then it should sell itself.

Regards...jmcc
If epik, dynadot, namesilo, can cover their cost as a registrant, without counting to much on their marketplace, for sure dan could do the same, just counting on a fraction of the one's using their nameservers.
I didn't say that they should subsidize the price of the transfers, they should just charge the standard price, around $8 and they should get tons of domains. For example, I have lot's of domains at smaller registrars, where I've paid $1-$5 to register and I would be more than happy to transfer them for around $8 to a registrar, where I can be paid in minutes after a sale, not in days. Also, if everything runs smoothly and the system will work as planned I can bet there will be lot's of domainers moving domains from big players, like godaddy, namesilo, namecheap, dynadot to a Dan registrar, if they use their nameservers and everything works as planned. I never planned to use a single registrar, no matter how good they are, your account could get hacked, the registrar could have some issues and so on...and like me, for sure there are lot;s of domainers using multiple registrars.

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if afternic will still name it's thing 'afternic fast transfer', if that will happen. I mean, 5 days to check the funds, 11 days for pay off...if that's fast, than dan's minutes/couple of hours delivery/payment, how it should be named, LightSpeed?

•••
As for the operations of DAN registrar, the key issue imho is the following - will they join Afternic fast transfer? If no, then this would be unusable registrar for a lot of domainers who sell with BINs.

However, should DAN decide to join afternic fast transfer network - this would be an ideal combination. Perfect landers serving own traffic - this is what needed and expected from DAN. External distribution at the same time is a must, Afternic can not be outperformed... Maybe also Sedo as the 2nd option, would be appreciated.

@LaszloSchenk @DAN.COM - what are your plans as to Afternic / Sedo integration?

•••
As for the operations of DAN registrar, the key issue imho is the following - will they join Afternic fast transfer? If no, then this would be unusable registrar for a lot of domainers who sell with BINs.

However, should DAN decide to join afternic fast transfer network - this would be an ideal combination. Perfect landers serving own traffic - this is what needed and expected from DAN. External distribution at the same time is a must, Afternic can not be outperformed... Maybe also Sedo as the 2nd option, would be appreciated.

@LaszloSchenk @DAN.COM - what are your plans as to Afternic / Sedo integration?
This is true, the only good thing now at afternic is the network..one option could be to buy one of the smaller registrars who are in the afternic/sedo networks and integrate it into the dan's system...maybe they can buy epik, if they are the bigger brother now:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••

If I'm not mistaken they are already operating as a registrar. It would add some additional cost (support, Dev etc) but it would also cut costs because they can automate way more. No human interference needed. They would also be able, not sure if they intend to do so, to profit from the expiration stream which is where a lot of money is left at the table as of now.

I wonder if afternic will still name it's thing 'afternic fast transfer', if that will happen. I mean, 5 days to check the funds, 11 days for pay off...if that's fast, than dan's minutes/couple of hours delivery/payment, how it should be named, LightSpeed?

Lol, LightSpeed might be good but they migh run into TM issues :) I think they're quite fast already. Depending on your location and payment preferences they are ultrafast compared to the competition with the same reach. I usually have the money in the bank the day after closing a sale, depending on the day of closing as they're somehow still slower during the weekend.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back