Dynadot

Statement By Dan on Epik!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This statement was just released by Dan:

We’ve ignored many of their actions in the past, because we’re laser focused on executing our ambitious product roadmap. However, last Friday, Epik has taken their attacks of our brand to the next level by sending a fabricated story about us to over 100,000 contacts in a mass email. As of today, we still haven’t received an apology or explanation from them. Their primary goal with this email was to hurt our brand and to gain new customers and this attempt was pre-planned and announced by them in June 2020* (See exhibit #2).

Full statement:
https://blog.undeveloped.com/statement-about-recent-events-b7c875cc6314

Have anyone received that email from Epik attacking Dan? I wonder what is the fabricated story Dan taking about?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Before I had heard about this spat I received an email from Robert Davis at Epik which included the below. I changed my .vc nameservers to Epik will be changing them

The Danger of Dan

I wanted to first draw your attention to the blocked status of your names on DAN's marketplace. We have been getting more and more complaints of their CEO mass blocking IP ranges of individuals he has arguments with, and even in our offices we no longer have access to buy names on DAN. Given that we are legitimately some of the largest buyers in the world, this should be a cause for concern. There are many key industry people that can no longer even see your names, let alone be able to purchase them. Even today I was impacted for an introduction as the attached block page was all I was able to see.

Ironically I was originally introduced to DAN through their funder, and literally worked to help rewrite some of their sales letters due to the grammatical issues they had. Epik in fact was in the process of buying the company, until they realized the depth of problems that existed behind the scenes. While their client platform is easy to use, they have been having massive problems with fake bidders and security issues. Upon reporting it and asking several times for assistance, they literally blocked those who knew about it from ever seeing names again, out of fear they would show the rest of the industry. So now there are major buyers who can’t even see names listed on Dan, let alone have a chance of actually buying them. They have simply blocked entire IP ranges.

This screenshot attached is how all of your names on Dan now appear to myself and many other investors, and we are by far some of the most active buyers and domain investors in the world. It massively reduces effectiveness, compounded by their part-time staffing and inability to help conduct deal completion due to the unusual hours they maintain. It is part of the reason Epik maintains staffing 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We know that buyers can quickly change their minds, and we work to lock most transactions down within five hours or less including payment. While DAN complains about low value domains on their network, and encourages users to use only BIN so that their staff don’t have to engage with buyers, our team is flipping $20,000 names for $200,000, and creating surprise paydays every day for our customers. We work hard to create added value for our customers - in every way we can

•••
Before I had heard about this spat I received an email from Robert Davis at Epik which included the below. I changed my .vc nameservers to Epik will be changing them

The Danger of Dan

I wanted to first draw your attention to the blocked status of your names on DAN's marketplace. We have been getting more and more complaints of their CEO mass blocking IP ranges of individuals he has arguments with, and even in our offices we no longer have access to buy names on DAN. Given that we are legitimately some of the largest buyers in the world, this should be a cause for concern. There are many key industry people that can no longer even see your names, let alone be able to purchase them. Even today I was impacted for an introduction as the attached block page was all I was able to see.

Ironically I was originally introduced to DAN through their funder, and literally worked to help rewrite some of their sales letters due to the grammatical issues they had. Epik in fact was in the process of buying the company, until they realized the depth of problems that existed behind the scenes. While their client platform is easy to use, they have been having massive problems with fake bidders and security issues. Upon reporting it and asking several times for assistance, they literally blocked those who knew about it from ever seeing names again, out of fear they would show the rest of the industry. So now there are major buyers who can’t even see names listed on Dan, let alone have a chance of actually buying them. They have simply blocked entire IP ranges.

This screenshot attached is how all of your names on Dan now appear to myself and many other investors, and we are by far some of the most active buyers and domain investors in the world. It massively reduces effectiveness, compounded by their part-time staffing and inability to help conduct deal completion due to the unusual hours they maintain. It is part of the reason Epik maintains staffing 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We know that buyers can quickly change their minds, and we work to lock most transactions down within five hours or less including payment. While DAN complains about low value domains on their network, and encourages users to use only BIN so that their staff don’t have to engage with buyers, our team is flipping $20,000 names for $200,000, and creating surprise paydays every day for our customers. We work hard to create added value for our customers - in every way we can

Oh wow!!
Are these claims true?

•••
Last edited:
•••
I've had my own wth moments w Dan when I first started out. Not saying it's all of them, how would I know, but some that I've dealt with are quite dismissive, and rude. Is that a way to run a business? No. Does that extend to the tactics pointed out here, not necessarily, but it does point to the real value of quality customer service, without it's easy to say "Hmmm...."

•••
I have not had any issue with Dan.com for the past 3 years i have been with them as they jave handled all my transaction well. No issues for me

•••
According to my traffic stats on Dan - I don't see any significant difference VS Bodis stats...
So looks like very local war...

•••
I like both Epik & Dan and I use both, it is unfortunate to see a big clatch between them. They should cooperate rather that attacking each other!!

•••
I also use both...
And results are very low on both.
The best sales I still do just with Bodis/ParkingCrew...

•••
I would agree with Dan on this one.

Sadly because I signed up for both Dan and Epik this year.

I was going to start over at Epik *just today* but then I read that threatening email from Epik.

I am inconsequential...so for 2 huge red flags about Epik to come up today for me is a sign from God. Despite their front man telling me he is with God.

Although we have never met, thank you Reza.

Very sad indeed, I was getting excited about getti
ng a dozen .co and trying Epik!

•••
I also use both...
And results are very low on both.
The best sales I still do just with Bodis/ParkingCrew...

I recall coming across your posts where you mentioned you didn’t have sales for months.

Is that possible your weak sales have more to do with the quality of your domain portfolio? O_o

•••
The letter was sent to 46 existing Epik customers who had purchased .VC registrations during our promo but were not yet using the Epik landing pages ahead of the Monday highlight reel to be distributed to VCs. You can sell full text of the letter here below.

######

Good afternoon,

I wanted to reach out on a few points that may help boost your sales performance, and also say congratulations on your great selection of .VC names. Our VC promotion is continuing over and through most of September, so if you want to see our hot lists of key names that have not yet been taken, just let me know. It has over 50,000 names in it, and we are updating it every 24 hours to help investors.

The Danger of Dan

This screenshot attached is how all of your names on Dan now appear to myself and many other investors, and we are by far some of the most active buyers and domain investors in the world. It massively reduces effectiveness, compounded by their part-time staffing and inability to help conduct deal completion due to the unusual hours they maintain. It is part of the reason Epik maintains staffing 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We know that buyers can quickly change their minds, and we work to lock most transactions down within five hours or less including payment. While DAN complains about low value domains on their network, and encourages users to use only BIN so that their staff don’t have to engage with buyers, our team is flipping $20,000 names for $200,000, and creating surprise paydays every day for our customers. We work hard to create added value for our customers - in every way we can.

Landers for the Win

Over the upcoming week, we are preparing to introduce hundreds of the best .VC names to more than 30,000 venture capitalists in our buying network, and I would love to have the ability to include some of your selections in the introductions. I’ve attached our targeting guide, so you can get an idea of how deep in detail we go for our customers to help them boost both visibility and sales.

I would share this video link on setting up custom landing pages, as it is loaded with tips, tricks, and solid insights to help maximize conversion rates. So many domain investors are dumping their traffic into marketplaces that cross-sell against them at every junction, the smartest thing that can be done is to take control of your own representation. Whether that is using one landing style, multiple themes, or setting up individual pages to customize the messaging and visuals. As a domain innovator, you may find many interesting points of value within this short video presentation, to include some key comparisons of best practices against other registrars in the market. The additional value is learning to stack keywords in the description lines that the content editor offers, so that investors can boost their sales and conversions by enhancing organic ranking value to drive new visibility. No other lander in the industry can offer a similar benefit.

We have some excellent visual backgrounds to accompany nearly four hundred subjects, and if you would like me to email over the backgrounds for the venture capital industry, just let me know and I will happily send them over. I would be thrilled to prioritize visibility of your names, as long as they are using Epik landers and we are not at risk for introducing blocked pages.

The Epik Difference

I had wanted to also share examples from our premium agency, as well other key insights that have been guiding our strategic direction. Our CEO Rob Monster has been investing heavily into the integration of a full-service ad agency and public relations firm into Epik. Our objective is to offer customers added marketing and tactical guidance to boost sales, unlike anything else in the industry. I have attached a guide we refer to as the “Epik Difference”, and it showcases the marketing strength being built off a foundation of investments into market data and consumer intelligence. Our objective when it comes to premium names is to offer a “best of both worlds” approach, merging the sophistication of selling rare domain names with real strategic guidance through our ad agency partners to help elevate value recognition. For example, where some may see a $15,000 name, we see the opportunity to pitch and present fortune brands with campaign anchors and turnkey ideas that could drive hundreds of millions of dollars in positive media spend. This is the key difference from a highly insulated domaining sector, and the real and open world of leading brand agencies and major advertising firms. While the name alone may only have a contained value, when combined as an integral part of a critical strategy, anything is possible on the revenue side.

The Value of Accessibility

Lastly I would reaffirm the value of using Epik over every other marketplace and registrar in my experience. One of the most important attributes of Epik, is that our 24/7 support team for securing sales, validating buyers, and authenticating payment, is light years ahead of everyone else. Domaining can be a tough business, as buyers can easily change their minds if a transaction is not closed quickly at the initial point of interest. It is why networks like DAN, Sedo, and even GoDaddy can have payment failures as high as 80%, as the choice to not service sales in the evenings, or to put off transactions attempted over a weekend, ultimately compounds the chance that the buyer may change their mind. It is why Epik focuses on legendary service, provides sales support 7 days a week and 24 hours a day, and ultimately sees most transactions closed and paid out often within less than five hours start to finish. There is no better solution, and as someone who has held 25,000 names personally, the difference is unquestionably night and day. I would also add the incredible added value that Rob and our team can offer daily by providing overwatch on all the lead generation flows. Even in this past couple weeks I’ve watched Rob help convert a $20,000 listing to a $200,000 payday as a client favor, and just this past week we were able to elevate a name that should have been $65,000 tops into a sale of more than $300k. This is part of the reason that dozens of people are active on social media at any time, singing the praises of both Rob Monster and Epik, as most companies have forgotten the value of real hands-on service and care for their customers. We pride ourselves on accessibility, positive action, and never turn domain names into impersonal widgets. We truly love our job, the people we get to help, and the products we sell.

With this in mind, I hope that you will consider fuller use of the Epik landing system, our legendary marketplace, and our great team to add additional value for high level sales negotiations. Whether you start with just your VC names, or would like to consider migration of all your landers to Epik, we are more than happy to assist. For the VC names in the short-term, if you point your DNS to NS3.Epik.com and NS4.Epik.com, my team can also help quickly build landers for you, in the event you are pressed for time for our upcoming Venture Capital promotions.

I am very thankful for your time and consideration, and hope you have a brilliant weekend. Thank you again for choosing Epik as your registrar!

Kind regards,

O5S2DpRG7egjTcaVMO-gF0eitcTt0WiKJ7CYHF39sqAZTnSb9v1cB_SLGBRHru9pMSwda4i4tqh80ow_xmIov5UK16n8BZTsLiQTmAsMLJDayOa6AntHUmSG6RF1Qi86haBtLDIRa0ozgc0jsxI00GnomillnV7NZsbugaUHydBTquo7LZnnlkFKTNiD-BB_yCpkfvUvOXzYj7arAw=s0-d-e1-ft

Robert Davis | SVP Strategy & Communications

a: Epik Premium Services | WA | United States
e: [email protected] | w: www.epik.com
p: +1.815.429.3254 | c: +1.815.780.0189

Twitter: EpikDotCom | Facebook: EpikDotCom

Attachments

• The Epik Difference.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 239
  • Multimedia Productions.pdf
    443.7 KB · Views: 285
•••
I recall coming across your posts where you mentioned you didn’t have sales for months.

Is that possible your weak sales have more to do with the quality of your domain portfolio? O_o
No.
No problems with quality.

And my last sale was yesterday on Sedo.

•••
Obviously, we would have loved to feature as many top domains as possible but as it happened Rob Davis could not even access the domains that were powered by Dan to make a screen shot.

Let's not turn something that was meant for the greater good of the industry as some kind of condemnation for a good deed done by an Epik staff member on the weekend on the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
@Rob Monster
After NamesCon (~7 months ago) you posted that no any problems with Afilias and you are very glad...
So why still no any .PROmotion (competitive regfee)???

•••
Same shit happens.
Insert Video Clip to promote the company in a discussion section.

•••
I'm seriously considering just moving all my domains to Dynadot, Namecheap and Namesilo when there up for renewal, listing them on Sedo and Afternic with Efty landers and being done with it....

Never see the owners of these companies posting negative shit about other companies/people, sharing irrelevant personal beliefs, arguing with people on forums etc etc... could just be me missing these posts though...

•••
No.
No problems with quality.

And my last sale was yesterday on Sedo.
My last sale was today at Afternic. Thats not the point 😉 I’m 100% I saw your post where you mentioned you had no sales for a few months. And if I’m not mistaken, you’re doing bulk buying using promos with extensions like .pro. The quality is not there IMO. I would not blame DAN or Epik for low sales.

Last edited:
•••
Our CEO Rob Monster has been investing heavily into the integration of a full-service ad agency and public relations firm into Epik.

Wait...

Epik is actually investing in (paying an incompetent public relations firm?) to steer the ship right into the ground and straight into the sinful pits of ...?

Is this being done in preparation for Epik to distance themselves from... uhh themselves?

Or is this just another unfortunate epik reality that comes off as a stale joke? 😂🤣

Last edited:
•••
I wanted to say first I am thankful for the depth of conversations, discussions, debates, criticism, and insights provided here. This is an industry full of some of the brightest and most creative individuals that any market sector could hope to see and interact with. If you feel you need to work to bring down others as your role in life, then I understand and I am thankful regardless to grow and constantly evolve to a higher state. If you don't know much about Epik, I would invite you to visit our Twitter at @EpikDotCom. It chronicles a beautiful journey over these past six months, and our priority on helping and lifting others up in a time when many have been fearful and rightfully concerned. I choose to try and focus on the things that bring us together whenever and however I can. I hope this is clear to those with eyes to see.

Here was my personal response today to the false accusations presented by Dan’s CEO this morning on his blog. Through this I wish DAN and their team nothing but blessings and peace. I have had some AMAZING customer interactions with DAN, prior to the experience with Reza. They know it to be true, and I have literally dozens of emails and correspondence with them that would highlight it. While Reza can proof text, redact, and smear all he wants to damage control and try to harm others, the real truth will absolutely not help him. I am going back to my work, which is acting upon every opportunity I can to lift others up, to help enhance their market positioning, to inspire renewed and uplifted confidence in the value of domains, and to serve each and every person placed generously within my path.

Reference:

blog.undeveloped.com/statement-about-recent-events-b7c875cc6314

You really want truth here Reza?

I am sorry you were offended. Robert Davis from Epik never contacted you. The customer who loved DAN Robert Davis at Intelliname did. Nearly eighty emails singing your praises; helping for months on end in any positive way I could; lifting your staff up with encouragements and positive words; to watch you disappear from work at a critical time for weeks/months on end and turn your back on everyone. What did I get for months of loving support and for trusting you? I joined the ranks of others that have to see the words "blocked" every time they interact with a name listed on your marketplace, because you didn't like what they had to say. Hundreds of times a week in fact, even when we are trying to place and purchase names through your network for our clients. I (and many others) cannot even purchase names at Dan. You made that impossible Reza. Because you were afraid of the screenshots and videos that were going to be taken to expose security issues. You have hurt your customers, and don't even have the honesty to come clean. Instead your attacks and pettiness continue - now in an expanded format.

Long and short - I have tried to take the high road here, but you have had MASSIVE data breaches through your API, that has sprayed your confidential customer data and their private details all over the web. I've seen it from many sources, and have copies of it even here. You have ignored all updates, input, and advice from those around you, and have falsely turned good things that were meant to help into something entirely else. You knowingly let security vulnerabilities impact your entire worldwide customer base, and did nothing about it. Sure I could have approached our relationship end differently. But my repeated appeals to you were ignored, and your client base was being hurt. On multiple fronts. You are literally now turning my past desperate plea to do the right thing into something you unequivocally know is false.

It simply illustrates the sadness and depth of your disconnection. Proof texting emails with more regard to your ego and pride than any sense of truth or genuine care. The irony is, your greatest exhibit is in me literally showing not only your malfeasance, but the callous disregard you have for protecting the sensitive information of others. Was I upset? Yes! I have never seen such a willful and arrogant approach to protecting those who trust you.

With respects to the rest of your accusations, there were 49 domain names I wanted to help gain awareness for, owned by a small handful of domain owners. The ones on Dan I sent the blocked notice, with a clear message that your actions were harming their awareness and sales generations. Because they are. You can spin this any way you like, but ultimately I will wish you love, peace, grace, compassion, and the capacity to walk away from this as a better organization. It is far too easy for you to throw Epik under the bus repeatedly. Attacking their staff, their executives, their "culture", and their motivations at every turn. That you frankly know nothing about. Epik helped you in ways personally that people would not possibly believe. You bit them without mercy, and took everything you could forward with zero appreciation or respect in your heart.

I would wish you well on your journey Reza. I would invite you to check out our Twitter at @EpikDotCom, and go through the posts since I was asked to help lift spirits up earlier in the year. You will find a consistent message - the love and care that we afford to each in our path, and the incredible optimism we have for our industry that we serve to the best of our capacity and ability.

Wish you love and peace Reza, and thank you for your evolution in the industry that I personally love.

- Robert Davis / Intelliname
Once a Dan Customer

•••
Same shit happens.
Insert Video Clip to promote the company in a discussion section.

Self promotion + distraction. A go to combo for Epik.

Brad

•••
Never see the owners of these companies posting negative shit about other companies/people, sharing irrelevant personal beliefs, arguing with people on forums etc etc... could just be me missing these posts though...

Most of the other registrars and companies in the field are far more professional in my view.
They are not constantly involved in divisive politics, promoting conspiracy theories, and other crap.

Epik has an oversized voice (at least on NamePros) compared to the actual size of their company. Much of this is due to the drama, but it alienates a lot of potential serious customers.

It is nothing but constant drama with Rob and Epik. I could not imagine another registrar acting like this towards Dan.com. It is very unprofessional.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My last sale was today at Afternic. Thats not the point 😉 I’m 100% I saw your post where you mentioned you had no sales for a few months. And if I’m not mistaken, you’re doing bulk buying using promos with extensions like .pro. The quality is not there IMO. I would not blame DAN or Epik for low sales.
I posted regarding nTLDs.
This year for them is really very weak.

Regarding .PRO
I receive up to $10K inbound buyers on it...
Quality or not???

And overall, I invest in many TLDs...

•••
Also, for the record, I believe I had many more fake leads with epik nameservers, than I had with dan nameservers.

Thus, I'm not sure why epiks public relations guy is making anti dan marketing material detailing a concern that is more of a problem at epik, than at dan.

Edit Added: Still, it's a real shame that dan had blackballed sav domains. Sav/Dynadot/Namesilo became my go to registrars after I became disgusted with epik. Unfortunately, it felt like dan.com was telling me if I wanted to use their services, I would have to chose a morally bankrupt registrar like epik opposed to using a choice registrar such as sav.com

Last edited:
•••
The only CEO of a Company get ban from a forum because spamming among other things like Brad mentioned.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back