Dynadot

Statement By Dan on Epik!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This statement was just released by Dan:

We’ve ignored many of their actions in the past, because we’re laser focused on executing our ambitious product roadmap. However, last Friday, Epik has taken their attacks of our brand to the next level by sending a fabricated story about us to over 100,000 contacts in a mass email. As of today, we still haven’t received an apology or explanation from them. Their primary goal with this email was to hurt our brand and to gain new customers and this attempt was pre-planned and announced by them in June 2020* (See exhibit #2).

Full statement:
https://blog.undeveloped.com/statement-about-recent-events-b7c875cc6314

Have anyone received that email from Epik attacking Dan? I wonder what is the fabricated story Dan taking about?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As for the operations of DAN registrar, the key issue imho is the following - will they join Afternic fast transfer? If no, then this would be unusable registrar for a lot of domainers who sell with BINs.

I think they might but in the end the question will be, will the other venues join Dan?

Fast transfer is something of the past. Afternic is stuck in the past. It works, and it works well to some extent, for now.

•••
I think they might but in the end the question will be, will the other venues join Dan?
Afternic is valuable because of GoDaddy distribution. GoDaddy joining Dan? It's easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle...

•••

Fast transfer is something of the past. Afternic is stuck in the past. It works, and it works well to some extent, for now.
It works, but for me at least it never as good as a landing page. It's good to have, but in the same time, the buyers checking the domain at their own registrar, will be checking the landing page as well (most if the times) so dan landing pages could revert a big part of them. Also, the registrars are mostly from US and a few other countries, so there are just under 200 countries or so mostly excluded from this networks.

•••
Afternic is valuable because of GoDaddy distribution. GoDaddy joining Dan? It's easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle...
Godaddy is the biggest registrar and probably most buyers( at least from US are using them) but that's only around 30% of the total buyers from around the world. For example, most of my domains are listed through afternic fast transfer( including godaddy), but at least this year, I've had over 10 times more buyers coming from landing pages. The true is that US buyers are on the first place, but they are not a majority, they account only for around 30% of the total. If I would try to remember my last 5 buyers, they were from Turkmenistan, Russia(2), Germany, South Africa....but most of the times, I still have around 2-3 US buyers, out of 10.

•••

As for the moment yes. The biggest mistake GoDaddy is making and a lot of other bigger venues are making, and where DAN does very well is the European market, middle East, Africa maybe. That's where they gained traction. They're building from that which seems to be working.

If they become a public facing registrar, I have no doubt they will pursue to dethrone GoDaddy or get swallowed up by them in the process.

They are running at full speed where any other registrar/venue is merely taking advantage of their accomplishments in the past.

I see little true innovation. Where innovation is present they join Dan. Efty, dnwe who both started working with them. Dan supporting let's encrypt where other are trying to tear them down.

Dan is working towards the future. Everyone else is stuck in the past. Just my opinion :).

•••
As for the moment yes. The biggest mistake GoDaddy is making and a lot of other bigger venues are making, and where DAN does very well is the European market, middle East, Africa maybe. That's where they gained traction. They're building from that which seems to be working.

If they become a public facing registrar, I have no doubt they will pursue to dethrone GoDaddy or get swallowed up by them in the process.

They are running at full speed where any other registrar/venue is merely taking advantage of their accomplishments in the past.

I see little true innovation. Where innovation is present they join Dan. Efty, dnwe who both started working with them. Dan supporting let's encrypt where other are trying to tear them down.

Dan is working towards the future. Everyone else is stuck in the past. Just my opinion :).
To be honest, epik as well is innovating, the only thing is that the growth was not the same for them( maybe controversies, maybe PR issues, maybe they are focusing on the wrong thing, they should know better)

•••
To be honest, epik as well is innovating, the only thing is that the growth was not the same for them( maybe controversies, maybe PR issues, maybe they are focusing on the wrong thing, they should know better)

maybe "the Lord" didn't tell them?

•••

Epik is definitely innovating but they're betting on the wrong horse. Epik as it is today is, and always will be, a niche registrar. They're not very accomodating to endusers. They serve the inner circle so to speak. Let's not forget they charge like $30 for a .com for the regular user.

They thrive on low pricing for domainers and good support. Take away the support and what do you have left? Not much in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, from a domainer point of view, It's a nice registrar. I use them although not very invested. I applaud their passion but when push comes to shove I don't see true industry changing progression.

•••
maybe "the Lord" didn't tell them?

I know you're being sarcastic ( another fine example to prove Germans actually do have a fine sense of humour) but I bet the Lord is busy talking to other people at the moment :).

•••
•••
all companies in the domain space are toxic

•••
•••
reason being, the industry is a wasteland on it's way down. companies will resort to lower and lower methods to milk the last few bucks out of it

•••
Thanks for that. You would be the guy to know :) I was under the impression they were but it seems I'm wrong.
I saw on Twitter Reza mentioning they started moving the domains under payment plans to their own registar like 6 months ago.

The registrar is there. Just not yet public

Last edited:
•••
Haven't seen it appear in the ICANN accredited registrars list yet.

https://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accreditation-qualified-list.html

Many hosting companies outsource their gTLD registrations to registration as a service players like Tucows. A lot of resellers cause confusion by referring to themselves as being "registrars".

Regards...jmcc
I don’t think this would be the case here. They would need to be the “real” registrar to be able to perform all the magic they promised.

It’s seems they’re currently using their own registrar internally to hold the domains under payment plans as I’ve mentioned above.

•••
I don’t think this would be the case here. They would need to be the “real” registrar to be able to perform all the magic they promised.

It’s seems they’re currently using their own registrar internally to hold the domains under payment plans as I’ve mentioned above.

Easies way to know for sure:

@DAN.COM are you already an (albeit non public facing) ICANN accredited registrar?

•••
Easies way to know for sure:

@DAN.COM are you already an (albeit non public facing) ICANN accredited registrar?
Perhaps, it’s better to move this question to DAN’s thread :xf.wink: This one is too “toxic”, IMO

•••
I saw on Twitter Reza mentioning they started moving the domains under payment plans to their own registar like 6 months ago.

The registrar is there. Just not yet public

5) Will DAN become a registrar one day?

Reza) We’ve mentioned wanting to become a consumer facing registrar for a while now. Even though we operate our own registrar for domain transactions for a while now, our team has started working on our consumer-facing registrar a couple of weeks ago and in 2020 we’ll start offering registrar services at DAN.COM.

It’s a crucial part of our mission to create the most liquid and frictionless domain market where we can provide buyers instant access to domains purchased and more.

https://tldinvestors.com/2020/07/dan-interview-reza-sardeha.html

•••
When toxic company like GoDaddy, Dynadot or Dan try to bully you, leave 100 negative reviews. nothing wrong with that. If you can legally do worse is even better

•••
As for the operations of DAN registrar, the key issue imho is the following - will they join Afternic fast transfer? If no, then this would be unusable registrar for a lot of domainers who sell with BINs.

However, should DAN decide to join afternic fast transfer network - this would be an ideal combination. Perfect landers serving own traffic - this is what needed and expected from DAN. External distribution at the same time is a must, Afternic can not be outperformed... Maybe also Sedo as the 2nd option, would be appreciated.

@LaszloSchenk @DAN.COM - what are your plans as to Afternic / Sedo integration?
Good morning @tonyk2000,

Thank you for your inquiry.

This will not be an issue once the registrar is launched. On the contrary, we have been working for over a year on a fast transfer alternative. This alternative will be built with modern technology and will compete with the distribution network you are referring to. The difference is that our network will have more functionalities. It will be the first OPEN domain distribution network that will compete with the current networks of Afternic & Sedo.

At an earlier stage, we announced the following through this article (https://www.ibm.com/case-studies/dan-com):
'Dan.com is planning to open up access to its core technology using a simple API. Registrars and other domain marketplaces will, therefore, be able to come together to create the biggest pool of unused domains, increasing the efficiency of the entire domain market and delivering more value to end-users. “We’re bringing the back-end technology to all the storefronts where developers and businesses go to find a domain name,” says Sardeha. “So we’re not exclusively keeping all that at Dan.com, but we’re letting it spread across the entire market to deliver the biggest impact.”'

We will not design our network like Afternic and Sedo. Rather, these two networks could use our network in order to create one ultimate network which will create and deliver value to the entire market rather than one closed network on its own.

More to come soon.

Last edited:
•••
This alternative will be built with modern technology and will compete with the distribution network you are referring to.
Laszlo, would the said alternative depend on another registrar(s) to join? If so, GoDaddy will not join. Registrars operating in specific local markets, available via afternic (Chinese registrars, for example) would not necessary join. So, without Afternic fast transfer - your solution would not necessary provide adequate domain distribution ;-(

Last edited:
•••
Laszlo, would the said alternative depend on another registrar(s) to join? If so, GoDaddy will not join. Registrars operating in specific local markets, available via afternic (Chinese registrars, for example) would not necessary join. So, without Afternic fast transfer - your solution would not necessary provide adequate domain distribution ;-(
Godaddy is the biggest, but with only around 15% of the total market, so out of the rest of 85%, you have lot's to choose from. Also, out of the total godaddy users, how many do you think that are using only fast transfer network( without using whois, landing pages, small marketplaces)? So, afternic fast transfer ads value, but I guess it's only around 5% of the total market...so, by counting only on them, you loose 95% of the possible buyers. If everybody( even only US buyers) will use exclusively the godaddy registrars path, than how others( like SH, BB, namecheap, efty , buydomains, hugedomains and lot's others) manage to make so many sales. Again, it adds value, but not as much as you think.

Last edited:
•••
how others( like SH, BB, namecheap, efty , buydomains, hugedomains and lot's others) manage to make so many sales.
hugedomains is of different opinion:

TurnCommerce, a leading domain development company, has been using the product to list and sell its domain names over the past month, and has seen a twenty percent increase in domain names sold since using it. “NameMedia’s new product provides us with a great resource to sell domain names,” said TurnCommerce Co-Founder, Andrew Reberry. “AfternicDLS has helped TurnCommerce tap into the small and medium business market while simplifying domain sales management.”

Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...Media-Launches-New-Afternic-Portfolio-Manager
(Date: 2010. No GoDaddy available on afternic yet).

•••
hugedomains is of different opinion:

TurnCommerce, a leading domain development company, has been using the product to list and sell its domain names over the past month, and has seen a twenty percent increase in domain names sold since using it. “NameMedia’s new product provides us with a great resource to sell domain names,” said TurnCommerce Co-Founder, Andrew Reberry. “AfternicDLS has helped TurnCommerce tap into the small and medium business market while simplifying domain sales management.”

Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...Media-Launches-New-Afternic-Portfolio-Manager
(Date: 2010. No GoDaddy available on afternic yet).
You are talking about 2010, I'm talking about 2020, a whole different story. In 2010, namecheap, epik, dynadot, SH, efty, chinese buyers, ngtlds registries, BB, undeveloped and so on, didn't existed or they were at the very beginning. In 2010, you are one of the very few players, it's easy....when you wake up, in 2020 and there are other 50 players, it's a totally different game and you need to adapt.

Last edited:
•••
You are talking about 2010, I'm talking about 2020, a whole different story. In 2010, namecheap, epik, dynadot, SH, efty, chinese buyers, ngtlds registries, BB, undeveloped and so on, didn't existed or they were at the very beginning. In 2010, you are one of the very few players, it's easy....when you wake up, in 2020 and there are other 50 players, it's a totally different game and you need to adapt.
Forsale domain is either available via registration path of consumer-facing registrars (GoDaddy, NameCheap etc) or it is not. Availability means more sales. Good landing page alone, be it powered by dan or anybody else, can not and should not be considered as the only source of buyers. Both in 2010 and in 2020.... In any case, we have to see what Dan will offer. Maybe they will purchase afternic from GD ;)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back