IT.COM

Statement By Dan on Epik!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This statement was just released by Dan:

We’ve ignored many of their actions in the past, because we’re laser focused on executing our ambitious product roadmap. However, last Friday, Epik has taken their attacks of our brand to the next level by sending a fabricated story about us to over 100,000 contacts in a mass email. As of today, we still haven’t received an apology or explanation from them. Their primary goal with this email was to hurt our brand and to gain new customers and this attempt was pre-planned and announced by them in June 2020* (See exhibit #2).

Full statement:
https://blog.undeveloped.com/statement-about-recent-events-b7c875cc6314

Have anyone received that email from Epik attacking Dan? I wonder what is the fabricated story Dan taking about?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
And... this reminds me to move domains away from Dan...

Sorry, but you do not respond to complaints and criticism by bashing your competitor. (Especially over religious and family beliefs)

And the security breaches? I do not see ANY responses to those yet.

I am not a massive domainer and consider myself an investor and end user...however I do maintain a portfolio of around 100 names now and pretty much all are at Epik for the past few years.

Every interaction I have had with them has been great and most of all, I feel my information is secure. That is what matters most to me.

Privacy, security and reasonable prices.

Last edited:
•••
All I understand is that DAN is 10 times bigger than epik.
And DAN is not yet a public registrar, about to become one in q4 2020.

+ lots of exciting new implementations.

Until then, epik's in trouble.

20200825_150333.jpg

•••
In the short time that I've been actively selling domains, I've sold more on eBay and Namepros than anywhere else, but of course that is where I have them forwarded for most of the sales since they have been selling.

As for DAN.com I have gotten a few views. I have my domains listed on Epik through Afternic and I haven't had any offers or anything yet there either. (Only listed a month, point is that neither has impressed me above the other).

Maybe the idea is just to park on a landing page and wait for $XXXX or more offers to be handled by some team, but I've just seen a number of questionable things members have been posting about Dan / Epik that make me trust getting my own emails and even selling at lower prices on eBay and Namepros.

I'm still actively debating using landing pages at Epik and Dan.... but this type of stuff only adds more questions to the list of reasons why I'm still having to even debate such a question after a month-long wait, but if you've read this thread and some of the other threads, you're probably questioning / waiting too.....

I was hoping to get some sort of views/offers/sales at least in the first month. Quick sales and quick offers I am only accomplishing on my on effort, so again neither of these networks have actually impressed me yet in reference to my own listed domains.

•••
Sad that @Intelliname’s actions to reflect on @Rob Monster and Rob is loyal to a fault.

Rob, this farce. energy better conserved IMO..

Why cant @Intelliname apologize move on? Clearly this message did not hit home. Public sentiment seems to be;
Unnecessary potshot at competitor, Play nice!

Last edited:
•••
Sad that @Intelliname’s actions to reflect on @Rob Monster and Rob is loyal to a fault.

Rob, this farce. energy better conserved IMO..

Why cant @Intelliname apologize move on? Clearly this message did not hit home. Public sentiment seems to be;
Unnecessary potshot at competitor, Play nice!

I am not sure there is anything to apologize for?

Is there ANYTHING that @Intelliname sent out that is factually wrong?

So far, the only things that I see that are wrong are in Dan's response.

•••
Last Saturday I moved to Sedo one of my domains from Dan (it was parked there a few months in Make Offer mode without any bids)... And it was sold on Monday's morning at BIN, German buyer.
Luck or not - it is hard to say... but definitely for consideration.

•••
This thread is turning into the usual farce of pro registrar and anti registrar comments...

Dan and Epik have both fu**Ed up.. ...

"Privileged groups work for greater power consolidation through favoritism."

•••
Last edited:
•••
I was one of the 46 that received your “marketing” email and if you guys consider the content of that email to be marketing, I really suggest you hire some outside help.

Send out a campaign that talks about how good your platform is and why I should use your landers, don’t spend 3 paragraphs disparaging a competitor.

A registrar should be a neutral platform that instils a sense of security in its customers – I wouldn’t say Epik is doing either of those things right now (and it makes you guys look more like a used car lot than a tech company).

This is one of the few industries where the best competition is collaboration. We all have domains with multiple registrars and we all sell on multiple platforms. Keep things friendly and you’ll see success. Bothered by what another company is doing? Do it better and let your product speak for itself. I feel like DAN really excels at these two points.

Also, this “greater good” nonsense is ridiculous. If Epik was concerned about the greater good of the domain industry, it wouldn’t spend its time trying to take down innovator within in.

Figure it out, guys.
Words of wisdom :xf.smile:

•••
Last Saturday I moved to Sedo one of my domains from Dan (it was parked there a few months in Make Offer mode without any bids)... And it was sold on Monday's morning at BIN, German buyer.
Luck or not - it is hard to say... but definitely for consideration.

yeah , indeed
that shows how great sedo is

and dan is inferior.

get a brain!

Last edited:
•••
The best times for Sedo are already in the past...
But their credibility is still the highest among others... at least in Europe.

Last edited:
•••
I've had domains listed in the past on Sedo for about a year and 1/2.... only ever made one sale there tho, and I only made it there because I received inbound inquiry through email and just happened to have the domain listed there already.

After that I had given up on Sedo and I had tried them again later on, but still with no results.

•••
If your portfolio is mainly 2word .COMs - use Afternic/GoDaddy...
Sedo doesn't help in this niche.

•••
In life, there are occurring events -- but then their is the reaction to the original occurring event.

See you in six months!

Last edited:
•••
At least corona will be the same in another six months...
I don't expect any aftermarket growth... Nowadays regfee domains are primary choice for most endusers.

•••
Aftermarket growth I think will keep coming... the market just made companies that had nothing to do with the technology sector go forward with technological advancements, and the ones who haven't will still need a domain name. It is frightening watching some of these current real business domain names expiring.... but really to me this market seems like no other.

If I could compare to a market it would be the lottery.

New regs are nice and all but if you're looking to build liquidity in that business / name then .com is the way to go and newly registering a million dollar name under .com extension (or any extention) isn't easy.

They will learn their mistakes, one by one, and will come to the aftermarket one way or another.

•••
All I understand is that DAN is 10 times bigger than epik.
It seems that DAN is also active in the ccTLDs. The daily stats from Domaintools tend to focus on gTLD transactions. DAN is not a registrar and Epik is a registrar. That means that they are fundamentally different businesses in that DAN is a sales/auction platform and Epik is selling domain name registration services but also has an element of domain name sales. There is a hidden depth to sales sites in that domain names may be listed for sale but not hosted on the nameservers for the sales site. This is also a major difference between a sales site and a registrar. The registrar has already made money from the sale of domain names as a registrar. Sales site either charge a fee for listing or, more commonly, take a percentage of the eventual sale.

And DAN is not yet a public registrar, about to become one in q4 2020.
That should be interesting.

Until then, epik's in trouble.
Until then, DAN is a sales/auction site and Epik is a registrar with a sales element. Unless the domain names on Epik that are on sale can be separated from the ordinary registrations, it is not a simple numerical comparison between DAN and Epik.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Im with both Dan and Epik, I find they both have shined great things, and I personally have experienced both their faults listed in this dispute. as a customer I don't like feeling restricted, even things like no bulk auth codes, its cohersion and entrapment. its not fair trade and freedom or equality. and that IP ban is just pathetic.

That being said, after all these child games ( which I'm guilty of sometimes also )
It almost makes me consider resorting to my other two options, Godaddy or suicide.
Dan and Epik , smarten up.

Last edited:
•••
@Rob Monster @DAN.COM

I am total neutral about this dispute and I see that you both messed up so bad.

First thing first, the biggest mistake from both of you is that you moved your dispute from private to public! you should discuss such disputes privately and work them out. There is nothing that cannot be solved by professional constructive discussion.

Dan should cooperate with competitors rather than acting defensively! Blocking of SAV.com domains and now blocking Epik staff IPs is disturbing! and is very alien to this industry, I have never seen any other company in the domains industry doing that. Also you must listen to criticism with open minds, and actually you should be thankful for community feedback and criticism because if you do listen and act according you will be stronger and more successful. This is the only way to compete in modern business, any business that does not adopt and does not change according to community feedback will eventually fail.

Epik on the hand acted very unprofessionally (the least thing that can be said about it), you do not promote your service by attacking your competitor directly with something like "Danger of Dan.com" that is absurd!! I also have never seen any company doing that!! You may indirectly criticize competitors BUT you should not name your competitor directly in a professional marketing email! and you should not bring a private dispute into a public marketing message. Focus more on your own business and stop distracting yourself with disputes, politics, conspiracy theories and other useless unfruitful stuff.

You should both apologize to each other, delete all public posts and shake hands.
I honestly wish that you work this out between you because we need both of you to succeed. You brought many bright innovations to this industry and I see that your success will be in the benefit of all of us.

Last edited:
•••
@Rob Monster @DAN.COM

I am total neutral about this dispute and I see that you both messed up so bad.

First thing first, the biggest mistake from both of you is that you moved your dispute from private to public! you should discuss such disputes privately and work them out. There is nothing that cannot be solved by professional constructive discussion.

Dan should cooperate with competitors rather than acting defensively! Blocking of SAV.com domains and now blocking Epik staff IPs is disturbing! and is very alien to this industry, I have never seen any other company in the domains industry doing that. Also you must listen to criticism with open minds, and actually you should be thankful for community feedback and criticism because if you do listen and act according you will be stronger and more successful. This is the only way to compete in modern business, any business that does not adopt and does not change according to community feedback will eventually fail.

Epik on the hand acted very unprofessionally (the least thing that can be said about it), you do not promote your service by attacking your competitor directly with something like "Danger of Dan.com" that is absurd!! I also have never seen any company doing that!! You may indirectly criticize competitors BUT you should not name your competitor directly in a professional marketing email! and you should not bring a private dispute into a public marketing message. Focus more on your own business and stop distracting yourself with disputes, politics, conspiracy theories and other useless unfruitful stuff.

You should both apologize to each other, delete all public posts and shake hands.
I honestly wish that you work this out between you because we need both of you to succeed. You brought many bright innovations to this industry and I see that your success will be in the benefit of all of us.

Nice Speech from The secretary-general of the United Nations Domain

•••
The best times for Sedo are already in the past...
But their credibility is still the highest among others... at least in Europe.

Sedo whilst I’ve never personally sold a domain with them, top the weekly domain sales charts more than any other marketplace, so I’m not sure why you think the best times are behind them when they showing no signs of slowing down.

Re:- This thread, I’ve not read it all, but it seems like every month we have a controversial thread on Epik, everything from Racism/Covid/bad mouthing competitors (and other things), Epik are right in the middle of it, having threads with ‘Epik’ in the titles linked to these subjects, that is ‘most popular this week’ on NamePros.

I do think Epik thrive of this controversy though and see it as promotion, but that’s not the way I see it, negativity is never good and controversy is never good, it just makes a company look 2nd rate and someone you can never fully trust and I think that’s why I still don’t have an account with them yet.

Epik needs to be less controversial and get rid of this ‘negativity’ if they ever want to be as big as GoDaddy/Sedo, just my thoughts.

•••
I compare my own results on Sedo... past and since 2015 (especially since July'2019)...
2 different pictures.

Last edited:
•••
It seems that DAN is also active in the ccTLDs. The daily stats from Domaintools tend to focus on gTLD transactions. DAN is not a registrar and Epik is a registrar. That means that they are fundamentally different businesses in that DAN is a sales/auction platform and Epik is selling domain name registration services but also has an element of domain name sales. There is a hidden depth to sales sites in that domain names may be listed for sale but not hosted on the nameservers for the sales site. This is also a major difference between a sales site and a registrar. The registrar has already made money from the sale of domain names as a registrar. Sales site either charge a fee for listing or, more commonly, take a percentage of the eventual sale.

That should be interesting.

Until then, DAN is a sales/auction site and Epik is a registrar with a sales element. Unless the domain names on Epik that are on sale can be separated from the ordinary registrations, it is not a simple numerical comparison between DAN and Epik.

Regards...jmcc
I don't think that somebody can count on the few cents made after paying the ICANN and verisign fees. They count to make more money if the customer will make an aftermarket sale or build a website. In the meantime, you can compare domains hosted: Dan: 1.430.000 domains, Epik 310.000 domains; domains for sale, Dan, 7.000.000, Epik 648.000.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back