IT.COM

advice Some Advice About Chinese PINYIN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Leo Gordon

Established Member
Impact
Hello, Everyone. I'm Leo from China, new to NP within 2 weeks. I learn much there. But I also find sth similar to what happens in China.
@Kassey Lee has done a great job about the guidance to Pinyins. Thanks for his warmth and guidance to me.
Today my opinions are mainly about the pinyins .Especially in 3PY(triple pinyin domains). Because so many new investors donate their reg fees there.this phenomenon happens not only in western countries,but also in China.
This article will be divided into 4 parts. I call double pinyin 2PY, triple pinyin 3PY in this article.
A) PY are not strong negotiable currency in Chinese market. The amount of 3PY is a huge number.
B) Be cautious before you register a 3PY . You need to learn some Chinese grammar and market.
C) PINYINS with some unpopular extensions are hard to sell.
D) The advantage of western investors.

A) PINYIN are not strong negotiable currency in Chinese market. The amount of 3PY is a huge number.
The amount of single PY is about 400. So you can easily calculate the number of 2PY is 160,000 .
3PY is about 64,000,000. the actual number is less. But that's still very huge. If you find a 3PY unregistered, I would say that's normal.
1, PY even 2PY are not strong currency. Most of them are hold by big investors. They are hard to be appraised. For average investors, it's unrealistic to buy a 2PY with much money, and wait for the endusers to buy it in future.
Taobao (belongs to Alibaba ) is very valuable. but there are also thousands 2PY of which the meanings are very normal.
One of my friends,SuKe owned hundreds 2PY.cn, he once send emails to potential endusers everyday. but he didn't get ideal effects. At last, he turned to chips. His friend,a big boss whom I don't know his name. owns thousands 2PY. He can jusy sell several PY a year. and some sold names' price are just 5-6 times than the LLLL chips.
It's just my personal experience above. Every few weeks, We may watch a big news that a big enduser XXX company pays much dollars to get a 2PY....
But actually the circulation of PY is slow. That's why some Chinese mainly focus on chips. Easy come easy go. they can get cash quickly from chips.
Yesterday, I saw a guy sell all his 2PY.net and 2PY.cc names to quit this market, prices are all about the half of reg fees. I feel pity for seeing that.
I remember my friend's words, Sell names to endusers is just a legend or dream to most people.

2, Although the 3PY have a huge amount. But 3PY which can spell smoothly and have good meanings are mostly gone. The professional investors or resellers who are good at PY ,may not waste time to think about new names. The just need post a request on some Chinese forum. Soon there will be hundreds names for him to choose. And some of them can be very cheap.

3, I'm also not encouraging you to get in CHIPS market. that's typical gambling house. I saw someone earns much, I also saw some guys lose much.

B) Be cautious before you register a 3PY . You need to learn some more Chinese grammar and market rules.
For me,I seldom write articles like this before ,I've no idea where to begin this huge system.
So here just some small tips about domain grammar.Maybe sensibly,Maybe rambled.
Many good 3PY are the extension of 2PY.
For example: pingguo.com (means apple).Obviously new investors and small entrepreneurs can't afford it.
But they can get names like:
1,Adjective+Noun
hongpingguo(red apple)红苹果
qingpingguo(green apple)青苹果
xiaopingguo(small apple) is also a popular song in China.小苹果
dapingguo(big apple)DA means big.大苹果
...BUT no name like : pingdaguo (苹大果no one know its meanings) So,don't cut the apple into halves...
2,Noun+Noun
pingguopai(apple pie)苹果派
pingguoshu(apple tree)苹果树
pingguozhi(apple juice)苹果汁
3,Adjective+Verb Phrase
or Verb Phrase+Noun
or separate the Verb Phrase and add a Adjective
zufang(rent a house )租房
3PY would be:
yizufang(easy to rent a house) 易租房
zufangbao(a good tool to rent a house)租房宝
BAO(宝)is a good word for Chinese. which means treasured or valuable things.
zuhaofang(rent a good house)HAO(好)=good 租好房
but better no names like this: zudafang(rent a big house) 租大房
this name can spell, but why not ? because it sounds native and werid ,If you use the name,your clients may be farmers.
There may be more combinations...I don't want list them all, it's a big job. Forgive me.

4,Take a three English words name for example.(No advertising,Just a random thought.)
topcarplay may spell.
But will you register names like:
carplaytop
cartopplay
playcartop
If you want register a 3PY domain name,you also have to think about the grammar carefully.Some rules may be the same all over the world.

C) PINYINS with some unpopular extensions are hard to sell. (this statement is my experience of these days,not about what will happen in future.)
There are thousands extensions in the world. I'll list some simple data I found on Internet Society Of China the day before.(a government organization)
By the December 2015.
.COM names used for websites is about 3,500,000. achieve 62.13%
.CN names is about 1,469,000. achieve 26.15%
.NET names is about 33,0000 . achieve 5.88%
Plus the three percents, we will get 94.16%
Here is the reality. So many new extensions, which one will be lucky? I don't know yet.
But I‘ll hold conservatism and encourage people not to register so much PINYIN names......especially 3PY
Some more tips
1.Domain names with hyphen are not popular in China, we can seldom see them.
2.Numbers +letters are also not popular,but much better than hyphen.
In certain circumstances, it may be valuable. like 8win (8means get rich), I'm not optimistic about other circumstances. unless you use that domian name for your own website...

D) The advantage of western investors.
The advantage is that some people know what will be popular in the world. they may be faster than Chinese investors.
LIke the VR. Many Chinese new companies are using this pattern: VR+PINYIN or PINYIN+VR.com.
there are two reasons.
1.They are too late to get good English domain names.
2. Most of these companies mainly focus on China market, their names have to be down to earth. Many Chinese know few English words. Most of them know the word TV because the national television stations all named XXTV.

As a nonchinese , if you are interested in Chinese PINYIN market.
My suggestions are:
1.Do more research before your investment. Not just about grammar. For example Sth is popular in USA but not in China. like the Baseball. there are so much things to learn. I'm learning too.
2.Watch more and register less. Mind your reg fee. If you have to register PINYIN names with full confidence. Don't get so many PINYIN names, you can hold one like buying a lottery. that may be a bit of fun...

In the end, I personally don't buy or sell PINYIN names here, I don't appraise PINYIN names ,too.
It's difficult to appraise them. if you're so lucky, it's up to how you communicate with your enduser.

I'm going to have a dream, couldn't reply quickly. I also have works to do during daytime.

Wish You Luck !

Leo

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thanks for the time spent on this post, very informative.

•••
Don't worry if you are just at the beginner's level in Chinese. We all start as beginners. Learning a foreign language takes time, effort and passion, but the rewards are potentially enourmous!

Getting the tones right is very very important. If you use the wrong tones, we may have to guess what you try to say or simply cannot understand you. Use “-, /, V, !” for the tone marks to help you visualize the tone movement. The tone numbers 1,2,3,4 are not recommended.

Sounds in Pinyin such as h, r, zh, ch, z, c are difficult to learn. However, “z” in Pinyin is very close to “ds” in “words”; “c” in Pinyin is very close to “ts” in “shirts”. “zh” in Pinyin is very close to a quick combined sound of English “ds” (as in words) and Chinese “r” sounds. “ch” in Pinyin is very close to a quick combined sound of English “ch” (as in China) and Chinese “r” sounds.

If you still find it hard, then I suggest you to learn Chinese pinyin with a native Chinese teacher. I heard that teachers in Hanbridge Mandarin school are great, google to learn more details if you need.

•••
thanks for the time spent on this post, very informative.
Thanks for your reply.
In fact, I've got some messages in my inbox after posting this article.

It's difficult for newbies to choose following the trends of the market or just following their hearts..

•••
Very informative. Thank you for the detailed explanation. Please write more, Leo.

Pinyin domain names are challenging. I wrote about the story of Jumei (聚美) that was dropped but then became a well-known brand years later. In fact, it's so challenging that I own ZERO pinyin domain names, even though I understand the Chinese language.

Just one suggestion. Since I started using single-pin, double-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin etc for Pinyin names a while ago, it will be easier for other members of Namepros to follow if we can all use the same naming convention. That will be very helpful if you don't mind using it.

This thread is going to be very valuable if you can share more of what you see inside China.

•••
Don't worry if you are just at the beginner's level in Chinese. We all start as beginners. Learning a foreign language takes time, effort and passion, but the rewards are potentially enourmous!

Getting the tones right is very very important. If you use the wrong tones, we may have to guess what you try to say or simply cannot understand you. Use “-, /, V, !” for the tone marks to help you visualize the tone movement. The tone numbers 1,2,3,4 are not recommended.

Sounds in Pinyin such as h, r, zh, ch, z, c are difficult to learn. However, “z” in Pinyin is very close to “ds” in “words”; “c” in Pinyin is very close to “ts” in “shirts”. “zh” in Pinyin is very close to a quick combined sound of English “ds” (as in words) and Chinese “r” sounds. “ch” in Pinyin is very close to a quick combined sound of English “ch” (as in China) and Chinese “r” sounds.
Thanks for your reply.
It's never too late to join the game. I also saw some non-Chinese who had got big profits from it.
I think learning Chinese for communication and domain name investment may be different.
If a guy learn Chinese well, he may not do the domain name investment , he will have many other opportunities to make money.
For domain names, he may just need several tools on internet
For example. people who owns LLLL.com CHIPS.
Most of the time,he just need to know the price now.
If he receives a email from enduser. he just need spend several hours to get the meaning of the name .

Better no advertisement here. Thank you.

•••
Very informative. Thank you for the detailed explanation. Please write more, Leo.

Pinyin domain names are challenging. I wrote about the story of Jumei (聚美) that was dropped but then became a well-known brand years later. In fact, it's so challenging that I own ZERO pinyin domain names, even though I understand the Chinese language.

Just one suggestion. Since I started using single-pin, double-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin etc for Pinyin names a while ago, it will be easier for other members of Namepros to follow if we can all use the same naming convention. That will be very helpful if you don't mind using it.

This thread is going to be very valuable if you can share more of what you see inside China.
LOL
Thanks ,Kassey
I'll follow your advice and change them later.

•••

Seeing inside of China is where I want to look...

Last edited:
•••
Something I have to make it clear.
Better no mixed names like these two patterns
1, numbers+letters .com only in certain circumstances, a few of them may be valuable. most of them are not easy to sell.
2, letter +Chinese characters .com I am sure to say they worth nothing, even a penny.

I don't know if I have given some wrong informations to someone.
Firstly, all my advice above are talking about PINYIN names, not about Chinese character names !!!
if you own the name like 中国.com ,I may say,YES ! it's valuable, but I think no business man would use that name as their brand. you can just sell it to some poor guy !!! it's a big trick !!!
For most Chinese, if they want type Chinese character, they have SHIFT their input software.
if your company use the name 中国.com they will easily type this one 中国。com and get a invalid page 404
Even it's a tiny detail , smart bosses will concern it seriously.
Any smart boss would concern letter names at first, no matter they're Chinese chips or English words .

Don't be so confident of your names, You may say: HEY!!! why are so confident about your advice???
I would say: YES , I know what's going on in the general market. I don't need to list datas to convince you.
no need to argue about it.
If you choose to believe what you're willing to believe yourself. I will just say GOOD LUCK.
As you're an adult, you should be responsible to what you have determined to do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back