IT.COM

information How to Sell “Fruit” domains to Chinese Domainer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
The fever of the numeric domains in China really fired up the enthusiasm of many investors last year. Except the profit earned from the Chinese domain name market, I believe many western investors also get much fun in learning the Chinese culture. “8” stands for “a good fortune” while “6” stands for “everything going well”. “4” is not desirable since it sounds like “die” in Chinese, just like in some western culture there are some number superstitions over the number 13 and 666.

The fever of numeric domains is easy to follow since the Arabians has ready spread the numbers world widely. Besides the numeric domain names, Chinese are also fond of double Pinyin domains, which may have more language bias for foreign investors to know the meanings. As many Chinese words are composited of two characters and each character combines an initial consonant and simple or compound vowel to make up the pronunciation, double Pinyin can always correspond to one or more meaningful words.

Today I would like to introduce you some double Pinyin domains related to fruit. Many companies like to use the name of fruit as their company name. The well-known company Apple Inc. is a good example. I have also heard of Orange Group and Try Celery, an online survey company. Compared with creative words, the name of fruit could be more memorable and figural.

Chengzi.com (橙子)> Orange
Personally I love this one best so I put it here first. In additional to the fresh taste of orange, in Chinese “橙” has the similar pronunciation with “成” which means “success”. Demos Chiang, the great-grandson of Chiang Kai-Shek has his design company named as “橙果”. Besides, the brand name of “天橙” and “橙天” have both been taken by big companies.

Juzi.com (桔子)> Tangerine
The tangerine is also a kind of lucky fruit in China. In some parts in south China, people used to eat tangerines at the Spring Festival for good luck all year round. Juzi Hotel is a chain economic hotel in China. As the domain name Juzi.com is a CVCV.com type domain, it could be more valuable in branding.

Mitao.com (蜜桃) >Honey Peach
The year of 2016 is the year of monkey in China traditional calendar. What is the monkey’s favorite fruit? Peach perhaps. In the traditional Chinese culture, peach stands for longevity. When the senior celebrate their birthdays, the family shall prepare peach-shaped steam bread. “Tao(淘)” also can mean “buy” in Chinese. Especially after the biggest Chinese online market “Taobao” (owned by Alibaba) has launched, the character “Tao” can be seen everywhere. When we purchase something online overseas, we call it “Hai tao”(“Hai” is “海” in Chinese meaning overseas and ocean ); or when we are seeking for premium domain names to invest, we call it “Tao” domain names. Mitao is now a brand of imported commodities sales platform.

Pingguo.com (苹果)> Apple
Guess what is the most expensive “fruit” in the world? It shall be apple as far as I know. Apple Inc is worth about 550 billion recently in the stock market. Apple is also a symbol of luck in Chinese as its pronunciation could be related to “being well” and “peaceful”.

Huasheng.com(花生)> Peanut
In a Chinese wedding, peanuts could not be absent. The families and friends will spread the peanuts on the new couple’s bed, wishing that there could be children in the family soon. Chinese also like to wear gold peanuts (gold decorations made in the shape of peanut) in necklace and bracelet.

I know Chinese are really sophisticated. If you are interested in the domain names above, or have any other questions about the fruit domain names, please post your replies below. And I can help you to see how your domains can be related to the Chinese culture.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
interesting, how are you getting the english spelling out of pinyin? translate the fruit to pinyin then pinyin to text or?

•••
interesting, how are you getting the english spelling out of pinyin? translate the fruit to pinyin then pinyin to text or?
I think cause I'm Chinese,LOL. if you want to know one kind of fruit's Chinese expression, you could use a dictionary and translate English to Chinese and then get the pinyin. Another way is you could type acronym or pinyin into Chinese Inputting method to get some Chinese words and then translate to English, to see if there are meaningful ones. Sounds quite complex, but you can have try.

•••
Cynthia-first of all thank you because these are very helpful and if we do get any "China" sales we will be using DN.com for the transaction as I hope others here will also. We own XingganChe.com (hopefully it comes close to "sexy car") lol but we also own BeijingBrands.com ( hopefully for a larger US or UK company) Your thoughts please? Thank you!

•••
Could you expect these to sell in the same 2 million USD range as banana.com?

•••
Cynthia-first of all thank you because these are very helpful and if we do get any "China" sales we will be using DN.com for the transaction as I hope others here will also. We own XingganChe.com (hopefully it comes close to "sexy car") lol but we also own BeijingBrands.com ( hopefully for a larger US or UK company) Your thoughts please? Thank you!
Thanks so much for your support! If you get any other sales, you can also come to DN.com,LOL. And as you expected, Xingganche>性感车 is the same meaning with "sexy car". Hope you get a great Chinese buyer for this. I think BeijingBrands is a great one for companies both in China and other countries!

•••
Could you expect these to sell in the same 2 million USD range as banana.com?
I do not expect these Chinese double pinyin domains can sell as high as banana.com. For English words domains like banana.com can be used all around the world and pinyin domains can only be meanful in China. But it depends, if you bump into a Chinese investor or company really likes this domain, any price is possible. here are sales record of some double pinyin fruit domains: xiangjiao.com(banana) & ningmeng.com(lemon) are sold totally for CNY several million range; Juzi.com(orange) is expected to be sold at more than CNY 3 million.

•••
Thanks so much for your support! If you get any other sales, you can also come to DN.com,LOL. And as you expected, Xingganche>性感车 is the same meaning with "sexy car". Hope you get a great Chinese buyer for this. I think BeijingBrands is a great one for companies both in China and other countries!
Cynthia-thank you so much! Now if only "Sexy Car" becomes a brand in China! lol

•••
Cynthia-may I ask-does Qiche and Che both mean "car" and are they interchangeable? Thank you!

•••
I like this post. You must have spent a lot of time gathering materials and then writing it.

I have not done any research on it, but I feel double-pins are most popular as company names. Many brands that I know are double-pins.

•••
Cynthia-may I ask-does Qiche and Che both mean "car" and are they interchangeable? Thank you!
Yes, Qiche and Che both mean "car" but they are slightly different. Qiche means directly to "automobile" and Che can mean many other vehicles if combined with other Chinese words. For example,

ZiXing Che(自行车)> bicycle
ChuZu Che(出租车)>taxi
MoTuo Che(摩托车)>moto cycle
JiuHu Che(救护车)>ambulance
```
Qiche, however, can not be used in the combination above.

Hope it helps!:)

•••
I like this post. You must have spent a lot of time gathering materials and then writing it.

I have not done any research on it, but I feel double-pins are most popular as company names. Many brands that I know are double-pins.
Yes, I agree, many companies are using pinyin domains. Double pin domains are great choice for startups. it is not expensive and easy to be remember.

•••
Yes, Qiche and Che both mean "car" but they are slightly different. Qiche means directly to "automobile" and Che can mean many other vehicles if combined with other Chinese words. For example,

ZiXing Che(自行车)> bicycle
ChuZu Che(出租车)>taxi
MoTuo Che(摩托车)>moto cycle
JiuHu Che(救护车)>ambulance
```
Qiche, however, can not be used in the combination above.

Hope it helps!:)
Cynthia-it actually helps a lot-again thank you!

•••
Cynthia-obviously XingBie.com is not available but we own both eXingBie.com and iXingBie.com Your thoughts please? I assume they might not translate directly but close maybe? I know that if eSex.com or iSex.com were available they would be exceptionally valuable. eBet.com sold for $1.3 million. As always-thank you!

•••
Cynthia-obviously XingBie.com is not available but we own both eXingBie.com and iXingBie.com Your thoughts please? I assume they might not translate directly but close maybe? I know that if eSex.com or iSex.com were available they would be exceptionally valuable. eBet.com sold for $1.3 million. As always-thank you!
In my opinion, xingbie may not be good choice for companies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back