IT.COM

So Pheenix has turned into Dropcatch ...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Qubelycom

Established Member
Impact
So I just logged in to check my backorders and now it seems like they are using public auctions now, I find this to be rather annoying but I guess it makes good business sense in a way.

Personally I backorder domains that normally I am the only person to backorder or have 1-2 others (normally the same selection of people) who almost never bid in the auction so this is going to be really fun with those domains now.

What do you guys think of the update? since I know at least a couple of users use Pheenix.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a smart business decision.

•••
It's a smart business decision.

Maybe yes, maybe no. They gained profits, but also lost customers. If you give something nice (e.g. private auctions) and then take it back, it can bring short-term profits, but can harm business long-term. Phoenix used to be a friendly, inexpensive dropcatcher for those who dislike public auctions. Phoenix had a niche, where it was the king. Now Phoenix disregards customers' wishes and tries to maximize profits. But public auctions are a very different niche. Those customers who agree with public auctions often ask for top catcher service, but is Phoenix a top catcher? Also, those who are prepared to pay more for a domain are fewer in number. What Phoenix gains in profits might be offset by losses in volume of the orders.

•••
Can be an advantage at times and a disadvantage, depending on the situation! I'm actually surprised that more drop catching/backordering companies don't have this model. But maybe they decided against it for whatever reasons.

•••
This isnt fair to the people that actually had the foresight to b/o some hidden gems. Now anyone can bid and snatch a name away.

It takes hoursss to go thru a huge list of dropping domains to find a gem. Now, its all gonna be out in the open. Pheenix was a great place to snipe.. not anymore. I don't like this update!

•••
This isnt fair to the people that actually had the foresight to b/o some hidden gems. Now anyone can bid and snatch a name away.

It takes hours to go thru a huge list of dropping domains to find a gem. Now, its all gonna be out in the open. Pheenix was a great place to snipe.. not anymore. I don't like this update!
So now you can let other do the work, and just buy in auction. You just got tons of time back that you don't have to spend going through drop lists. You are a winner!

•••
And i also lost the opportunities to snipe exclusive domains and earn good money.

•••
It's all found money for Tan, he's making a killing!

But won't offer me more than $200 for a .tv lol; weird business ethics

•••
•••
So now you can let other do the work, and just buy in auction. You just got tons of time back that you don't have to spend going through drop lists. You are a winner!

Not really a winner, I think most of us would still rather spend time going through drop lists picking out gems and spend maybe $100 in a private auction than a public auction where the price will more than likely go much higher.

•••
This was announced a short while ago and is actually somewhat old news now. If you're trying to grab names that only have 1 or so other people in them you might just be able to catch them yourself with software and no backorders at all.

Smart business decision for Pheenix, but bad news for some domainers. For others, it's just like @cocaseco mentioned..makes the job much quicker and easier. Just wait, go hit the sites after each days drop period, and bid on what you want. Let others do the work for you ;)

•••
Smart business decision for Pheenix

I'm not so sure about this...if the clients are happy too, yes, this is definitely a Smart move. If they are pissed off (and ripped off), then it is doubtful.

•••
I'm not so sure about this...if the clients are happy too, yes, this is definitely a Smart move. If they are pissed off (and ripped off), then it is doubtful.

I would be pretty certain their revenues have gone up from it. An increase in revenue is usually good for business. There will always be those who are pissed off and upset about it. But, most of those will still be there backordering and bidding on domains every day or so. Customers might not be happy, but yet they're still spending money there. Sounds like a pretty smart business move to me, even though I don't agree with it and don't think it's the best way to treat your customers. Still, didn't you get that email a couple months back about them adding a bunch of new registrars to their arsenal? Did you really think they were just gonna float the bill for all that? Because that's not how business works, lol. The money to setup all those registrars has to come from somewhere. Maybe if noone uses them now they will go under...Although, that didn't happen with DropCatch and I'd confidently bet it won't happen with Pheenix either. It sucks, I know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back