IT.COM

domains Pheenix goes to public auctions on multiple backorders

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I just received this in the mail,

Pheenix said:
3. Public Auctions coming September 19th.

All domains that have multiple backorders on it will now be available for Public Bidding for any backorders being released on or after 2015-09-19.

As a precondition, if someone did not have a backorder on the domain name prior to it going to auction, their minimum bid is at least $59 in order to participate in the auction.

I predicted on NP's that other backorder companies would change their model. Of course I was thinking of SnapNames/Namjet. So Pheenix were the first one to do it. Makes sense, imho.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you would be surprised at the diversity of our customers.

I doubt it.

You now have the opportunity to review and bid on domain names that you may not have initially backordered yourself. Who knows, you may find a great bargain on a domain name that you personally did not backorder but would like to have.

The problem I have with this whole concept is that you're effectively enriching yourself by selling other people's research and giving them nothing for it. I believe in the golden rule and since I wouldn't appreciate you handing my research over to someone else, I'm not going to help you to exploit your customers. There's no way I'll ever do business with you as long as this policy is in place.

•••
If the catch date was today how long until you know if you got it or not?

•••
•••
Check the whois record.
Thanks. It shows dropcatch.com got but it doesn't show up when I search for it in their site. Guessing there's no chance for me to get it

•••
It seems to me after reading all this post, Industry is changing and trying to bring direct buyer in auction format which everyone use and understood in day to day life like buying car or home or stuff in auction, which is good news for regular business folks who really need the name but bad for domainers who do research and want to flip or hold for long time.
Again I sometime bidding on good names and never has done any research so I understood the pain of guy who doing all the research and losing at end point due to bidding war, but again my bidding has limitation and so do every other 1% bidder's has that include >> fixed budget, knowledge of certain industry or local area name meaning as two country has two different meaning for same word and other factors.
Everyday 1000's of name is getting expired and deleting if only couple hundred people keep buying what going to happen for other names nothing it going to wait for next buyer and industry never going to grow bigger, so this auction house spreading news in media looks good to me and trying to bring investors who can see how much people paying for names and they invest and bid and try to grab the names and flip eventually.
At the end it is good if more bidder or investor enter in market, which will rise overall valuation of whole industry which is way better and real then fake stock market industry.
Hopefully regular investor widely accept this industry and break all the monopolies and control of few industry giant. Hopefully what's happening in china right now get followed in each country with lots of capital flow in market.
This is just my view and has no affiliation with any big guys as i m small domaineers not even pros like some of you are here.

•••
I just have a bad experience with Pheenix. There were two backorders for evoir.com @ Pheenix....then the auction end with 5 or 6 more bidders than the initial bidders. If I didn't place a backorder with them, the other person would have it and vice versa...I don't how they were telling me we were going to target it anyways. Well, if it was not for those two backorders we placed. Pheenix should have never targeted it....I get zero ROI on my time investments. I rather pay $69 close auction than pay nominal fee with public auction. Pheenix may have made more $$$ with that domain, but I am not ordering anything with them anymore just how I don't order anything from dropcatch.

Well Pheenix, congratulations...

•••
I do not see good success with Pheenix, all who getting more are namejet and after them snapnames and drop catch.

•••
Well, if it was not for those two backorders we placed. Pheenix should have never targeted it

I am speculating here, but *maybe* if there was only 1 backorder (ie. from the other person), then Pheenix might have not allocated enough resources to get the domain, as it would only mean $22 to them, not $100 (let's say $100 is the average price for a domain that goes into auction)

This might have resulted in another dropcatcher getting the domain, instead of the other person.

•••
What I mean is, even if you know that exactly one other person is backordering the domain you want via Pheenix, it may still be good practice to NOT backorder via Pheenix, as this action will make them actively chase the domain. It may be better to order via another dropcatcher.

•••
What i have notice on all 4 or 5 drop catcher are fact for me i do not care other believe it or not.
When i see any little good name without any single bid and went to backorder , right away (within few seconds)after my backorder i see other has backorder same name , so two bid and you guys know when there is more then one bid it goes to auctiooooonnnn, that's what i can see how they playing with drop catching game.
Honestly i m still buying from backorder rather then someone else buy it by paying little high premium.

•••
Well, Pheenix does not show number of backorders. thus, the other person must have done their work, which I believe we are all OK with that. What I am not OK with is having public auction as long as it has two which gives me zero ROI on my time investments. When I talked to them, they said they were to catch it anyways. Well, if I didn't back order it with them, they would have not known about it....this whole shanagigans business is just wrong...I did all the work for someone else to come and get it...well, I'm done with them anyways...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back