Dynadot

discuss Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I have the opportunity to buy 200 double repeating premium LLL.in at $90 a piece and I passed on it due to my uncertainty. Turns out that was a big mistake.

What was your most recent shoulda, woulda, coulda moment?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was even able to pick up 9 LLLL .com names (non-premium) on GD closeouts in 2014. Likely never again
Gee that feels unbelievable now - so little time ago, how things have changed, no one forecasted the stellar rise. Its never going back there.

•••
I think we all have that regret, they were less than $20 in 2009!

In 2012, LLLL coms were going for BIN prices at Go Daddy, I mean like $11, $10, $9, and $8. I even snagged one for $5.

The most I paid for a LLLL com was low $$$ (WDJS and Lyni). In this manner, managed to amass 89 of these.

I think these are worth holding for now.

•••
In 2012, LLLL coms were going for BIN prices at Go Daddy, I mean like $11, $10, $9, and $8. I even snagged one for $5.

The most I paid for a LLLL com was low $$$ (WDJS and Lyni). In this manner, managed to amass 89 of these.

I think these are worth holding for now.
Great play. Takes guts to buy at $10 when all others think they are worthless.

•••
selling iot.com for $17.5K back in 2007 :(

and 700.com for $19K in 2009 :(:(:(

•••
•••
I actually reg'ed a number of triple repeating LLL.in when they first became available 10, 12, 14 years ago - whenever it was. Also had a number of very, very premium top keyword .in. The best names you can think of. After a year I let them all drop. There just wasn't any interest for them back then. That's why I was able to get them... nobody else wanted 'em.

Back then not too many registrars handled .in. Don't remember what registrar I had them with but I do remember they were outside the USA. Certainly not a big deal but... Seems like annual fee was at least $30 per. Expensive when you could get .coms at GD for a dollar with a coupon code which were always available. At the time everybody said it had to be .com, one-word, generic, radio test, type-ins, blah, blah, blah. Because of the annual price, lack of interest, and what everyone else said, I let them all go after a year. Actually it was my own stupidity in not following my own thoughts. I knew one day .in would get online.

Of course, I would have been paying annual renewal fees all this time but... yeah, I regret dropping 'em.

•••
Skipping over 5N .coms (without 4s) in GoDaddy closeouts.
If only we knew :)

•••
selling iot.com for $17.5K back in 2007 :(

and 700.com for $19K in 2009 :(:(:(
ouch, 7 figures right there, but you are talking almost a decade out, you basically had to be not following anything, and be busy with other things, to many chances to sell if you are active in the marketplace.

•••
•••
I had go.click in my shopping cart at GODaddy and a credit card snafu caused a browser glitch after which the site said unavailable and I thought because only two letters no way but just today I watched interview with the .click registrar who said they let it all go so conceivably I actually might have ended up owning go.click which by now would be a terrific portal or something.....
What are you talking about go.click is reserved, and was never released?

•••
I had an opportunity to buy 20x4L.com Chips at $325 each back in July, should have bought it.

The profit could have been $30K+.

Also sold a domain for $10 here and a week later got an offer of $1K. Should have been kept for a month.

I also bought only one CHIPs 3L.co for $30. Now I'm receiving offers around $700. Should have hand registered those 3L.co chips because at that time there was a promo for $3 .Co registrations.

That's life. It happens, but I have moved on :)

•••
When I first started buying domains godaddy was pitching the hell out of the .TV domains. I gave in and bought a few LL.TV domains. I didnt know the value of domains at that time and thought it was stupid so I got a refund. :(

Last edited:
•••
Was offered 17 LLLL.com by June of last year in pm for $100 each.I should have even gotten 10 and taken a chance but then I was learning the ropes and didn't make a move.I later won some auction on namepros for couple as a consolation.Got some offers already but not in a rush.

Looking to be wiser and learn from what I read here.I have learnt so much and wont miss next time.

Shane, thanks for the Woulda, coulda -coulda;).Hope Newbies read and learn.Domaining takes a lot of guts and risks.

•••
I had a domain 4 letter which was sold for 999 USD..Last month the same domain was sold for 4 figures..should have waited..

•••
In my early days (2007), I passed on a Go Daddy closeout domain (it was a poker domain); a few months later, it sold for $31,000.

But we learn from these missed opportunities.

I can't 'like that ;). Is there a Commiseration button? It happens.

•••
•••
Sold a 6n .com with 888 and one with 333, together for for under £300 :xf.eek: and a CVCV .net for about $20. All last year.

•••
About 2000 or so I was working at the finance dept of a big public utility as an admin/data assistant dealing mainly with invoices. The city was planning to start a city-wide service and they bought a domain for it. I processed the invoice, it was 60k for an LLL. Seller was from the US and the deal was done through his attorney. Could have taken time out to find out more about the sale. If I did, I would have discovered domaining then. Imagine that.

•••
About 2000 or so I was working at the finance dept of a big public utility as an admin/data assistant dealing mainly with invoices. The city was planning to start a city-wide service and they bought a domain for it. I processed the invoice, it was 60k for an LLL. Seller was from the US and the deal was done through his attorney. Could have taken time out to find out more about the sale. If I did, I would have discovered domaining then. Imagine that.
In 2000 they were $250-$350 on the aftermaket which was Afternic at that time

•••
It was an LLL and the price was 60k. I saw the paperwork. Year was early 2000s

•••
every 4 letter .com that I could have bought for less than $50 in 2014
every LLLL.com and nnnnn.com I sold for less then 50$ in 2012 (stuff like 69869.com) now I calculated would be worth over 150K... well that's life :)

•••
Not buying Miami.Club when I had the chance to do so because of the high registration fee.

Still don't know if that was a mistake, actually, but I sure wish I owned it now.

•••
Not buying Miami.Club when I had the chance to do so because of the high registration fee.

Still don't know if that was a mistake, actually, but I sure wish I owned it now.
Think you dodged a bullet there, unless it was for your own use, sounds sweet.

•••
So far, I do not regret that much.

My worst mistake is that I bought many new gTLDs that made very little sense, 1 - 2 years ago. It costed a few thousand extra bucks back then, but in the long run, it's hopefully a lesson learned.

I also sold some LLLL.coms a little too fast / cheap, but at least I made some decent flip profit and was able to invest in other names.

•••
All these "mistakes" are the signs of opportunity and of a moving market. Not of missed opportunity.

For every loss there is likely to be a win.

You can't deflect every offer, you wouldn't be domaining. But if you can afford it - stick to the reason you saw potential in that name in the first place and set yourself up for a bigger payday.

I dropped about 100 LLL.co...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back