Domain Empire

discuss Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I have the opportunity to buy 200 double repeating premium LLL.in at $90 a piece and I passed on it due to my uncertainty. Turns out that was a big mistake.

What was your most recent shoulda, woulda, coulda moment?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I should have started domaining 15 years back :)

•••
when I bought 2500 shares of tesla at 22 and then sold them at 25 a few days later Shoud have kept them over 200 now

•••
For those of you who play Texas No-Limit, this is what I'd call a 'bad beat' thread :roll:

•••
Probably my biggest regrets have to do with counter offers that apparently make the potential buyer who had a made a slightly low but decent offer walk away and disappear. "Should have accepted" and all that stuff.

Well, that's the game I guess.

•••
I had 55 NNNNN.com domains which I purchased on digital point in 2010 for below reg fee. NO 4 NO 0 and all with at least 1 8.
Registered for 2 years and then went on a working holiday. I received the rego renewal emails but couldn't be bothered because I was having to much fun on holiday. needless to say I lost a lot of money and the new owners most likely laughed all the way to the bank.

I also sold 5 LLLL chips on flippa in 2012 for $39 each..OUCH

•••
I had 55 NNNNN.com domains which I purchased on digital point in 2010 for below reg fee. NO 4 NO 0 and all with at least 1 8.
Registered for 2 years and then went on a working holiday. I received the rego renewal emails but couldn't be bothered because I was having to much fun on holiday. needless to say I lost a lot of money and the new owners most likely laughed all the way to the bank.

I also sold 5 LLLL chips on flippa in 2012 for $39 each..OUCH

Premium 5N.com worth at least $3k imho, so 55 x $3k = $165k :'(

•••
Thanks for pointing that out LOL :(

•••
This topic is very depressing and funny at the same time :)

My mistakes (just a few):
I should have registered business.io in 2009.
And I also should have registered store.io, cash.io and find.io, check this thread :D
And I shouldn't have dropped a pronounceable VYVX.com (or maybe I sold it for pennies).

•••
I shoulda known about domains back in the 90's (although I was a young teenager) so I coulda registered some of the best ONE word .coms and I woulda been worth 10's of Millions if not 100's .:laugh:

:(:guilty:
_____

Well, all jokes aside. I should have done more research when I got into Domaining and instead of registering 1000's of garbage domains and renewing them until I realized they would not sell or get type in traffic lol.

I shoulda bought a few good keywords with high type in traffic/revenue generating domains using the same money that I burned through by hand registering domains (mostly crappy ones -some good ones that I still own and have gotten decent offers).

I can say the money I wasted was over 6 figures which coulda been utilized in buying a few good domains, and then building businesses around them which woulda been worth multiple 7 figures.

Well, you learn from your mistakes. But it ain't over yet. Now I am building a few businesses that will be worth multiple 7 figures and beyond in the next couple of years.

•••
Another big mistake I made was paying $350 for a "premium listing" on fippa :xf.eek: :xf.confused:

•••
Selling a domain a couple years ago too cheap to one of the startup "unicorns" here: http://techcrunch.com/unicorn-leaderboard/

They rebranded, dropped the previous name and now use the one I sold.

Made 12x my investment on a domain I bought on FLIPPA of all places!

But now I realized I left way too much money on the table......

•••
Selling my LLLL .com's too soon. Sold them all when they went to about $200 each months ago.

•••
Shoulda - Read more on NPs and NOT listened to DomainSherpa shows with a thief and parasite when starting out. I sort of question the value of a lot of the shows even without Adam Dicker now. *Thanks to @Shane Bellone we know the truth, but it would have come out eventually.*

NPs is a lot of "needles in the haystack" but there is lots of great info here. Wish it was easier to sort and find.

Woulda - Made a lot of money grabbing this expired domain at GD that a potential client wanted. I thought for sure they the company would hire me so I told them how to do backorders... mistake. Won't be making the same bad decision again.

Coulda - Won this contest if it wasn't for the fact that the registry running the contest was racist and so were the all judges, including Mike Berkens. Bill Rancic is the worst one with his stupid wife.

•••
Shoulda - Read more on NPs and NOT listened to DomainSherpa shows with a thief and parasite when starting out. I sort of question the value of a lot of the shows even without Adam Dicker now. *Thanks to @Shane Bellone we know the truth, but it would have come out eventually.*

NPs is a lot of "needles in the haystack" but there is lots of great info here. Wish it was easier to sort and find.

Woulda - Made a lot of money grabbing this expired domain at GD that a potential client wanted. I thought for sure they the company would hire me so I told them how to do backorders... mistake. Won't be making the same bad decision again.

Coulda - Won this contest if it wasn't for the fact that the registry running the contest was racist and so were the all judges, including Mike Berkens. Bill Rancic is the worst one with his stupid wife.
How would you feel if someone called your wife stupid or your mother stupid? That's someone's wife and mother you are insulting for whatever reasons I am not aware of, which is totally uncalled for. If you have a problem with them, be man with balls and meet them offline and table your grievance.

•••
In an effort to avoid past mistakes just bought 88x.ch. We'll see is .ch catches on.

•••

The contest was not judged solely on the merits of the domain name, Facebook voting was also a factor.I personally think Electricmotorcycleclub is not a good name, but I'm guessing he was successful in getting alot of people to vote for it on facebook. Out of curiosity If you feel your entry was the best, tell me what it was and I will tell you mine.

•••
Coulda - Won this contest if it wasn't for the fact that the registry running the contest was racist and so were the all judges, including Mike Berkens.

Was there even a column for 'race' in the entry form? Michael Berkens is one of the nicest people you will ever come across in this Industry or any other industry for that matter. Calling him racist is completely unacceptable, I'm a brown man from India and have only good things to say about my interactions with Mike.

He and other top investors have been unfailingly kind, accommodating and completely respectful in their conversations / references / interactions with most people, including newcomers. I'd go so far as to say most people in this industry are not racist, the only color most are bothered with is green as in cash.

I was mod, then a Team Leader of NamePros in 2009-2010, a lot of mods even today come in all colors, shapes and sizes. If the industry was racist as you claim, none of us would be anywhere close to where we are now.

•••
I should have been rich when I started domaining. Then I could have been interviewed by a NamePros member and told how well I had done in such a demanding industry. Them grapes are sour I tell ya!! I jest ofcourse...

•••

Reality is merely a construct of perception.

So in that sense, I emphasize with you. However, I think it's important to note that there are many injustices in this world and if losing a domain contest is the worst you've experienced this year, you should count yourself as blessed. Regardless of the severity of your experience, I can understand feeling slighted or turned off by the industry. However, we are humans and as such we are survivors. Rather than be pushed away by your perceived experience, use it as motivation. Overcome. Overachieve. And most importantly, never quit.

•••
Not super recent, but you prompted the memory of 5 5n.coms at ebay that I was watching and missed bidding on by a few minutes....at least 3 of them had no 0 or 4.

They sold for $x each for a total of around $25 to $30.

•••
•••
Well, I just remember something else I should have pulled the trigger on.

I was offered a 3L.com CHIP for 10.5k early last year.

:(

•••
Reality is merely a construct of perception.

So in that sense, I emphasize with you. However, I think it's important to note that there are many injustices in this world and if losing a domain contest is the worst you've experienced this year, you should count yourself as blessed. Regardless of the severity of your experience, I can understand feeling slighted or turned off by the industry. However, we are humans and as such we are survivors. Rather than be pushed away by your perceived experience, use it as motivation. Overcome. Overachieve. And most importantly, never quit.

I shoulda worded some things differently here. I'm sure if I meet people in person, I would have a different opinion.

Not getting as far as I would like in a contest is certainly not the worst injustice I've experienced. Perhaps NPs is not the outlet for sharing stories about how prejudice people can be Shane. Most people don't actually want to hear about it. People will even deny it.

It doesn't have to do just with this industry. That should be clear.

•••
Just sold a domain via negotiation for $2k thinking I got a great deal only to find out I sold to a million dollar financial company. Knowing that, I definetly left money on the table. Should have done more research, which is hard when they refuse to give any details.

•••
I shoulda, woulda, and coulda kept my lll.com i had back in 05 but instead I sold it for 600$.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back