IT.COM

discuss Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I have the opportunity to buy 200 double repeating premium LLL.in at $90 a piece and I passed on it due to my uncertainty. Turns out that was a big mistake.

What was your most recent shoulda, woulda, coulda moment?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You never know, they may agreed a maximum of $200k and had to have a heated argument in the boardroom about whether they could meet your price. At $250k they might have blanked you and resorted to plan B, so it is silly to regret that one. No solid reason to think that you left money on the table.
They accepted the offer in minutes. It went to a multi billion dollar company - I left a lot of money on the table as they used it for re branding. You are right that its silly to have sellers remorse, especially if you are active in domains, it will always happen. My only regrets are always not being bolder.

•••
My only regrets are always not being bolder.

It is also possible to regret being too bold though, when you get an offer, get too greedy and push the counter to a ludicrous price and then never get a decent offer again.

•••
It is also possible to regret being too bold though, when you get an offer, get too greedy and push the counter to a ludicrous price and then never get a decent offer again.
done that as well. But on balance being bolder would have gotten me better results but I never want to bet the lot because I want some left to stay in the game!

•••
loved connaught.com didnt bid, winner went on to sell it for 250k
sold some great NNNN.coms in 2014
sold a LLL.com for 238,000usd but the buyer accepted my first offer!
most will never sell an lll.com for that or even be able to own one. 238k is not much of a regret.

•••
most will never sell an lll.com for that or even be able to own one. 238k is not much of a regret.
so true, much better way of looking at it. Greed is an ugly but necessary attribute.

•••
My would've should've is just not asking for more. You can't get 5-6-7 figs if you don't ask. I let several domains go way too cheap. That said, you need to understand what you have. Asking 6 figures for a new reg isn't reality.

•••
I regret not buying D.Domains last december because of the $500/yearly renewal.

By the time I worked myself up to buying it, it was registered and instantly turned into a registrar.

I acted out by buying $500 worth of 420.NewTLDs lol

•••
I regret not buying D.Domains last december because of the $500/yearly renewal.

By the time I worked myself up to buying it, it was registered and instantly turned into a registrar.

I acted out by buying $500 worth of 420.NewTLDs lol
That domain was reserved at first, but when the reservations came off it came with a $500 renewal as you described which is steep unless you have a profitable business going on it.

Now what you should pursue is the General Registration buyers who bought on day 1, they have grandfathered renewals in at $75 per year on the single letter .domains, unless the D meant something more to you?

•••
They accepted the offer in minutes. It went to a multi billion dollar company - I left a lot of money on the table as they used it for re branding.
Knowing what you do now betthelot, how much do you think they may have been willing to pay?

•••
•••
Knowing what you do now betthelot, how much do you think they may have been willing to pay?
7 figures. They had no choice because they already started re branding to the three letters I had LLL.com that matched. This is why I love these names, as there is no alternative, unless you want the .net or end it with LLC.com but a big national company knows the value of having a short .com that matches their brand. Took me about two years to stop beating myself up about it. Because I did a bit of snooping before hand IP address look up and I guessed right who was contacting me through a third party. I think I was more annoyed with myself with not being bolder, once I had the information, rather than the value but hey its still a great sale as Jasonn said.

•••
•••
I have the opportunity to buy 200 double repeating premium LLL.in at $90 a piece and I passed on it due to my uncertainty. Turns out that was a big mistake.

What was your most recent shoulda, woulda, coulda moment?
Hey, don't look back. Stay optimistic. Bumps and bruises are part of life. We are all human and we are not perfect. If someone tells you he/she is perfect, that person is lying.
Have a faith and a kind heart, you'll be fine. :)

•••
7 figures. They had no choice because they already started re branding to the three letters I had LLL.com that matched. This is why I love these names, as there is no alternative, unless you want the .net or end it with LLC.com but a big national company knows the value of having a short .com that matches their brand. Took me about two years to stop beating myself up about it. Because I did a bit of snooping before hand IP address look up and I guessed right who was contacting me through a third party. I think I was more annoyed with myself with not being bolder, once I had the information, rather than the value but hey its still a great sale as Jasonn said.
$238K for a 3L.com a few years back is pretty decent, obviously it will be a big corp at that amount, but the sky is not always the limit. If your cost basis was under $25K, that is an amazing profit. Really what you did with the profits will tell the story after the fact.

•••
Hey, don't look back. Stay optimistic. Bumps and bruises are part of life. We are all human and we are not perfect. If someone tells you he/she is perfect, that person is lying.
Have a faith and a kind heart, you'll be fine.
:)
You on happy pills MisterSoft. All this love is making me dizzy.

•••
$238K for a 3L.com a few years back is pretty decent, obviously it will be a big corp at that amount, but the sky is not always the limit. If your cost basis was under $25K, that is an amazing profit. Really what you did with the profits will tell the story after the fact.
Very true how do you make that money work for you after is key. I brought it on snapnames on the drop, it may of not been on the drop but pre release, for about $20k in around 2009

•••
i was kindof happy selling Dao.biz for $1,500 about 2 months ago until i realized a multi million dollar chinese media company bought it and is live on the web with it ..:-/

•••
i was kindof happy selling Dao.biz for $1,500 about 2 months ago until i realized multi million dollar chinese media company bought it and is live on the web with it ..:-/
Damn....

•••
every 4 letter .com that I could have bought for less than $50 in 2014

•••
•••
I regret not buying something because it sold later for more.
I regret buying something because later I had to drop it for a loss.
I also regret not going to humblebrag school.

My biggest regret is the hours that I spend here instead of doing something useful.

•••
every 4 letter .com that I could have bought for less than $50 in 2014
I think we all have that regret, they were less than $20 in 2009!

•••
My biggest regret is the hours that I spend here instead of doing something useful.
Over 10,000 messages ,I think you have a point.

•••
I think we all have that regret, they were less than $20 in 2009!
I was even able to pick up 9 LLLL .com names (non-premium) on GD closeouts in 2014. Likely never again

•••
Not buying LasVegas.city because of the $440 per year renewal cost.

LasVegas.city seemed very expensive compared to most of my .CITY domains which renew at Uniregistry for $22, $36 or a few at $72 per year.

Really dumb move. Las Vegas.online sold at NamesCon for $4,750 and LasVegas.Asia went for $30K a few months ago to the same company that owns LasVegas.com.

how the hell would LasVegas.Asia even work?
lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back