Dynadot

question Setting different BINS on Afternic and Sedo?

NameSilo
Watch

KTC

Established Member
Impact
I was just thinking about this after a domain sale that I had last year where I had two different BINs where I set up on Afternic a BIN with $8388 along with a floor at $2588 and Sedo was set up at $2588. The main thing is that I forgot to update the listing on Sedo, so when I looked at my landing page analytics to see what the buyer did, they found the Sedo listing(I use their affiliate program) and purchased within 24 hours of finding that listing. It wasn't on the Afternic Fast Transfer or SedoMLS programs since I had the domain name in NameBright.

But, it makes me wonder, has anyone else tried setting up different BINs on Afternic and Sedo? My train of thought being that I set up on Afternic the highest value I'd want while giving the broker some room to negotiate on my behalf and for my own landing pages to have the set up of first making an offer then following up with an exit intent popup with a "last chance" BIN on Sedo if the buyer decides to stay on the page. And if I did set different BINs on AFT/SedoMLS, which one would appear in the registrar path? I'm not so worried about a savvy buyer finding out the cheapest price I would actually take since I already factor that with pricing before I even buy a domain name.

And if no one has done it, maybe I could run it as an experiment? What does the community think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You should have no more than one bin at a time anywhere. You don’t want a situation which has happened where the domain gets sold at two places and the platform you don’t complete the sale at will ban you. Better to be safe than sorry.

•••
You should have no more than one bin at a time anywhere. You don’t want a situation which has happened where the domain gets sold at two places and the platform you don’t complete the sale at will ban you. Better to be safe than sorry.
Yeah, after thinking a bit harder about the potential consequences if that was to happen, it's probably not the best idea, but it did give me an idea of how to use exit intent strategies that I am going to experiment with.

It does pose an interesting question of which one would brought up if both Afternic/SedoMLS are enabled for fast transfer if someone was to put two different BINs on those marketplaces.

Last edited:
•••

That's good advice, especially if you don't check your portfolio or emails often.

I've never had an issue in 20+ years of a buyer buying the same domain on two platforms. I will take the domain down off other platforms immediately after a domain is purchased or at least switch to make offer only.

Truth is, for most domainers sales are so few and far in between that the odds of that happening is slim to none.

Now if you have super premiums like single word .coms or other popular extensions that get lots of offers AND you have it priced below market value then it could happen.

Last edited:
•••
And if I did set different BINs on AFT/SedoMLS, which one would appear in the registrar path?

Lower BIN would appear at registrar path

•••
I think both Afternic and Sedo nowadays both charge 20%, so, what's the point of making a different BIN? Exactly as the previous comment says, at least make a lower BIN with your registrar/landing page if they charge less. Economically, it makes more sense.

Then I also agree that if you check your sales everyday you shouldn't run into a situation when someone buys in two places at a time - chances are extremely slim (although even minimally, but this possibility exists).

And finally if you choose between Afternic and Sedo - whom to provide with better price for your names - without a doubt I'd go with Afternic.

Good Luck!

•••
Lower BIN would appear at registrar path

Gotcha, so that would defeat my purpose of using Afternic Fast Transfer/SedoMLS if I had decided to implement that.

I think both Afternic and Sedo nowadays both charge 20%, so, what's the point of making a different BIN? Exactly as the previous comment says, at least make a lower BIN with your registrar/landing page if they charge less. Economically, it makes more sense.

Then I also agree that if you check your sales everyday you shouldn't run into a situation when someone buys in two places at a time - chances are extremely slim (although even minimally, but this possibility exists).

And finally if you choose between Afternic and Sedo - whom to provide with better price for your names - without a doubt I'd go with Afternic.

Good Luck!

Yeah, it was a pretty good idea in my head, but not so much if I had implemented my original thought process on the idea. I'm good about checking my emails for sales unless they get sent to the spam folder, but I would rather be risk-averse in the case someone decided to hit the BINs I have set up.

To everyone in this thread, I appreciate the advice. Helped bring me back down to reality to not reinvent the wheel.

•••
Even bigger risk is getting the potential impulse buyer into the bargain mode. If he/she sees different prices at 2 places, he might start wondering the price or go on looking for other avenues where the name might be even cheaper. And, as a result, he might lose the impulse or just find another name. I think having the same MSRP is the best strategy.

•••
As long as fast transfer is active in Sedo and Afternic, making more than 1 payment to buy the same domain is almost impossible. Because with fast transfer the domain transfer is automated and almost instant. Once the first payment is received, there will be no domain in the registrar account of the seller. After the successful payment, subsequent purchase/payment attempts would give error until the caches are cleared.

Even bigger risk is getting the potential impulse buyer into the bargain mode. If he/she sees different prices at 2 places, he might start wondering the price or go on looking for other avenues where the name might be even cheaper. And, as a result, he might lose the impulse or just find another name. I think having the same MSRP is the best strategy.

The motivation to search a domain on 2 or more markets is the hope to find the lowest price. Isn't it?
It's like searching for promo codes, discount coupons for the folks who know and are addicted to buy everything at the lowest possible price.

•••
Back