IT.COM

question I sell much more on Sedo than Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

These days I sell more on sedo than afternic.
Before it was around 90% on afternic and 10% on sedo, but now it's maybe 70% on sedo and 30% afternic.

Any idea ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There seem to be strong opinions about whether having BIN is OK on multiple marketplaces. If one has Afternic Fast Transfer activated, there is a question of exclusivity there for the BIN. Sedo customer service had alluded to this possibility, while not confirming this.
Granted, it's probably unlikely that the same domain would sell on two marketplaces on the same day. But if this did happen, what are the consequences?
To me, make offer makes more sense on Sedo, if you using Afternic Fast Transfer for those domains as well. An alternative might be to forgo the FT, and simply have BIN for regular listings in both locations.

This actually happens - Double BIN sale. I know from my own experience. Happened, and not just once.

Question is, how you manage it. Also if you take the risk. Like they say, no risk no reward. Everybody has to decide.

Having BIN in one place and make offer everywhere else is the safest thing though, and a sensible thing to do.

But if you have high value domains, what I would choose is to set a min offer / floor at Afternic and use NS3/NS4 and BIN at Sedo. In this way you have the best of both worlds - without risking anything.

Thing is, the more you sell for cheap the more the risk of double sale.

The higher the prices are, the less the risk.

There aren't 2 buyers at the same time dropping $10k on your name, be sure of that. I had double sales because I was selling low xxx range. Not anymore.

My first 4-fig sale was a domain I didn't value much (not a .com) . I had it listed for $100 on one platform and by mistake I had it listed for $1500 on another platform. At the time I didn't know however that that was a single word, actually.

Edit: I won't mention which the platforms were, at the time I was on several not just Afternic and Sedo as I was testing everything out there, and it wasn't this pair exactly.

The domain sold for $100 and $1500 in 2 different marketplaces, minutes from each other. I solved the issue as I knew best. Pocketed the $1500 - fees. Escaped with a warning. Note, it might not be your case, you have been warned.

I did not have a double sale in the last few years - at all. (Edit: even if I had BIN in 2 places, or 3 places sometimes). Keeping my prices high, retail. Since then, again no such double BIN sales. But I have been also careful and watching everything ( I check my phone if I wake up overnight, if anything sells I delist it elsewhere ).

TL DR: I'd recommend BIN at Sedo and make offer at Afternic with the lead lander, NS3/NS4. This is a safe setup, and works well for higher value names where there's negotiation in most cases. Once you sold something, delist it from the other. There's no chance of double BIN clashing in this format as there is only one BIN.

Later edit - Important. Forgot to mention, the double sales were always like $100 + a higher price elsewhere, but in all cases, the $100 buyer was a frontrunner who knew something and was trying to get the domain for cheap, to sell to the final buyer. This is way more common than you think. I've seen several of these over the years. (BTW - Anyone has encountered the poor student that needs a domain yet? Or a gift to his sick and disabled sister....? )

Last edited:
•••
One more comment if I may.

I'll never understand why domainers with experience would set a $20 min offer. Ever.

How does that benefit you?

Do you like lowballers?

I personally don't care if I get 1,000 offers of $20 or $50 on my domain.

I don't care. Its' totally irrelevant.

I only care if I get an offer for the amount I want, OR MORE. I only care about that one $10K offer from my one retail buyer (....insert your own $ number here).

This is why I never set make offers below 50% of the retail price, or 60-70% depending on the case. And I will almost never take the 50% offer, unless it's what I call a dud domain I got by accident.

** Credits to @AbdulBasit.com and @Lox for the great info they have shared with all of us **

Last edited:
•••
I did not have a double sale in the last few years - at all. (Edit: even if I had BIN in 2 places, or 3 places sometimes). Keeping my prices high, retail. Since then, again no such double BIN sales. But I have been also careful and watching everything ( I check my phone if I wake up overnight, if anything sells I delist it elsewhere ).
That's the challenge of multiple BIN listings. Checking multiple times in a day becomes prudent. There is a simplicity to simply having one BIN, to not have to be so vigilant.

The additional question with Sedo is the level of commitment of their buyers. I had an offer on a domain, from someone who registered with their marketplace just this month. I countered, and then decided within hours (not having heard and deciding the offer was fair enough), to go back down to their original offer price. They appeared to decline, but I noticed an email from Sedo apologizing that the bid thread had been cancelled, as the buyer's account had been closed.
Does this happen often at Sedo? Do the bids tend to be from more longstanding customers or very recent sign-ups? And, if the latter, do those transactions tend to be successful?

Last edited:
•••
The additional question with Sedo is the level of commitment of their buyers. I had an offer on a domain, from someone who registered with their marketplace just this month. I countered, and then decided within hours (not having heard and deciding the offer was fair enough), to go back down to their original offer price. They appeared to decline, but I noticed an email from Sedo apologizing that the bid thread had been cancelled, as the buyer's account had been closed.
Does this happen often at Sedo? Do the bids tend to be from more longstanding customers or very recent sign-ups? And, if the latter, do those transactions tend to be successful?

My cancel rate on Sedo is around 20%.
Sometimes buyers do not pay; othertimes they cancel the account.
It's not nice but it's part of the game as long as you don't bind the registration (for example with a credit card)

•••
It's not nice but it's part of the game as long as you don't bind the registration (for example with a credit card)
Thanks for explaining that. Up front, I was a bit concerned that the buyer had only registered this month from India.
I did appreciate at least the prompt customer service from Sedo, explaining the situation and pointing out that the account had been closed.

Last edited:
•••

May I ask, what is the price range you have there at Sedo for such cancellations? As this is all very weird to me. Thanks

•••
May I ask, what is the price range you have there at Sedo for such cancellations? As this is all very weird to me. Thanks
My domains are sold usually in the low-medium XXX range.
For example in 2022: 18 sold, 5 cancelled.
Indian user, just registered, is the typical fake buyer :xf.frown:

Last edited:
•••
My domains are sold usually in the low-medium XXX range.
For example in 2022: 18 sold, 5 cancelled.
Indian user, just registered, is the typical fake buyer :xf.frown:
Yeah, that's what I thought. Wow, that's a bad ratio.

Never got this on Sedo and I thought that would be the case.

Tip: If you price everything above $200 as a min offer, ideally above $220 or so, this seems to weed off most of the lowballers and fake buyers. Ideally 4-fig. but anyway. Ever since I got my prices at min $299, everything went silent on this part. Zero cancellations for years. I've definitely sold over a thousand names at xxx range, no cancellations. Although today I'm at 4-fig with most names.

Note, this will also happen with Dan if you use similar pricing. So it's not a Sedo issue but a world outside there issue.

Good luck.

•••
What was unusual in this case was that I had owned for this domain for decades with one registrar. It had been listed at Sedo for about a year, and never had even one offer-- even at much lower prices . I had finally decided to transfer it to a new registrar, and had to go through the additional manual steps to finally get them to approve my moving it to the new one. Finally, the day the registrar transfer was about to happen was when I unexpectedly got the offer on Sedo.

Curious coincidence?

Last edited:
•••
I opened this thread because something happened few days ago, look to this guy he see also something happening :
I made many sales over sedo/namecheap during a very few days, now it's stopped.

I decided to also test sedo landers sl2, sl2 , I split tested my portfolio between dan/sedo/afternic, sedo is out, I continue this split test with dan and afternic only. I should have the result between the two others in less than a week, for the moment it's not clear which one is better than the other...
I Have my Domains with the new Dan landers since a Month or so(No Results so far), Really interested to Know you are testing between Dan & Afternic Landers(Especially ns5 & Ns6 Afternic) , waiting to know Results. do mention the Time period of the Tests .

•••
Just GOT excited for notice of sale on Sedo. However, after couple days buyer failed security check. SMH...what are most of you doing that are getting sales on SEDO are you doing promoted listings lik show case?
Makeoffer or BIN best results???

•••
Just GOT excited for notice of sale on Sedo. However, after couple days buyer failed security check. SMH...what are most of you doing that are getting sales on SEDO are you doing promoted listings lik show case?
Makeoffer or BIN best results???
I had the same experience with one sale on Sedo. I switched the landing page to DAAZ and the buyer bought the domain without problems. May be Sedo requires too much information and the customer is unwilling to give (there may also be an unlawful payment!).
BIN sells more than makeoffer.

•••
I had the same experience with one sale on Sedo. I switched the landing page to DAAZ and the buyer bought the domain without problems. May be Sedo requires too much information and the customer is unwilling to give (there may also be an unlawful payment!).
BIN sells more than makeoffer.
Our experience is most of the times the domain name sells for itself. Marketplaces are just facilitators to offer the intermediate status and trust to the buyer. If the marketplace offers good customer service , good payment options and easy checkout process, buyers will buy without much hesitation in 95% cases.. there is a chance for small percentage of buyers getting panicked and want to use a big brand for trust reasons .. but that is small percentage of buyers. Most buyers buying from landing pages buy because they need that domain name, not because they like a specific marketplace. Its just our experience of running marketplace for the last 4 years.

Last edited:
•••
Most buyers buying from landing pages buy because they need that domain name, not because they like a specific marketplace.
Hi

basically, i can agree with that.

since buyers tend to be "one-off" buyers, then wherever your domain is pointed to, is where they will make contact.
the exceptions are when they find your name while browsing a marketplace and that domain is listed there, but not using that platforms nameservers.

that's why it's best to at least "list" your domains on various platforms, even if it's not pointed there.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back