IT.COM

question I sell much more on Sedo than Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

These days I sell more on sedo than afternic.
Before it was around 90% on afternic and 10% on sedo, but now it's maybe 70% on sedo and 30% afternic.

Any idea ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
sedo is not a registrar, unlike godaddy, so logically and assumably they wouldn't need the same amount of people to operate sufficiently.
also, a smaller staff may be more attentive and accountable,
when there are less people to give you the "run around".

imo...
To their credit, their online customer service support seems to be much faster than before. What would be really nice is seeing their hours of operation expand. They report some decent sales every month. You would wonder if it would make sense for them as a business to have extended customer support hours. Perhaps that would help increase the sales on their marketplace?

•••
To their credit, their online customer service support seems to be much faster than before. What would be really nice is seeing their hours of operation expand. They report some decent sales every month. You would wonder if it would make sense for them as a business to have extended customer support hours. Perhaps that would help increase the sales on their marketplace?
Hi

when calling during business hours, i always got answer.

sure, it's possible that by increasing work hours it might increase sales -
but how many sales are needed, and at what sales price do they need to be, to earn enough commissions to pay employees for those extra hours?

so, now when you ask them to work on weekends, are you going to pay them" time and 1/2".

some of us like to be off on weekends and not work late at night.

just saying....

imo...

•••
sure, it's possible that by increasing work hours it might increase sales -
but how many sales are needed, and at what sales price do they need to be, to earn enough commissions to pay employees for those extra hours?
That is a question that hopefully they have examined. Perhaps they already have done a trial of this, seeing how many potential buyers called at night or on a weekend, leading to a quick sale? Would be interesting to know?
I was humored when I was having a technical support issue on a weekend. Calls from the USA were apparently being forwarded to Germany! I was delighted to get a live person, but their only response was to call on Monday. Pleasant fellow on the other end, mind you, but that was a curious experience indeed!
so, now when you ask them to work on weekends, are you going to pay them" time and 1/2".

some of us like to be off on weekends and not work late at night.
In this economy, I suspect there are folks willing and perhaps even very eager to work the phones from home, even at regular rates for nights and weekends.
With Afternic, I recently chatted with a rep at night who had his dog barking in the background. We not only solve the technical issue I called about, but also had a brief but very pleasant conversation about his beloved doggies! Apparently, he was at home taking the call.

•••
Hello,

These days I sell more on SEDO than afternic.
Before it was around 90% on afternic and 10% on sedo, but now it's maybe 70% on sedo and 30% afternic.

Any idea ?
Are most of your success listings done using any upgrades ? IE the HomePage Showcase Upgrade ? or Category Upgrades?

•••
Are most of your success listings done using any upgrades ? IE the HomePage Showcase Upgrade ? or Category Upgrades?
Also, I would ask if his descriptions have some compelling information, such as certain appraisals or cities certain traffic stats?

Perhaps there is some cleverness to the listings that make them more effective?

•••
Godaddy would prefer to sell their own domains which means 100 percent profit (or revenue), while for Afternic sales it is only 20 percent (can go higher depending how flexible they are). Since probably we are selling to GD agents at AN , instead of selling to buyers directly (?), they can just ignore those leads (received at Godaddy backordering system). But this doesn't mean Sedo is better. Both can work, but they don't work well enough (sometimes better than enough, but rarely). They can easily improve themselves. Coupon-discount system can work perfectly.

Last edited:
•••
I only sold 1 domain on Sedo in 12 years and had about 2500 listed. The rest of my sales were all on Afternic, BB, Sales Landers or Direct WHOIS.

•••
Godaddy would prefer to sell their own domains which means 100 percent profit (or revenue), while for Afternic sales it is only 20 percent (can go higher depending how flexible they are). Since probably we are selling to GD agents at AN , instead of selling to buyers directly (?), they can just ignore those leads (received at Godaddy backordering system). But this doesn't mean Sedo is better.
And yet, even if there is some unusual activity behind the scenes, GoDaddy still appears to be outperform Sedo for sales significantly. As seen below....
I only sold 1 domain on Sedo in 12 years and had about 2500 listed. The rest of my sales were all on Afternic, BB, Sales Landers or Direct WHOIS.
Despite weeks of changing to parking to Sedo, using their new Sedo sl1/s2 landers, only Afternic has produced another sale for me--without their landers.

It's still puzzling to me why some on this thread have had such high success with Sedo.

•••
And yet, even if there is some unusual activity behind the scenes, GoDaddy still appears to be outperform Sedo for sales significantly. As seen below....

Despite weeks of changing to parking to Sedo, using their new Sedo sl1/s2 landers, only Afternic has produced another sale for me--without their landers.

It's still puzzling to me why some on this thread have had such high success with Sedo.
the change is from namecheap with sedo mls, not sedo itself... As i saw many sales in a very few days I think they shoot an email to their customer who searched for some exact matchs months ago.

•••
the change is from namecheap with sedo mls, not sedo itself... As i saw many sales in a very few days I think they shoot an email to their customer who searched for some exact matchs months ago.
Were you able to have your Namecheap domains on MLS Premium? Currently, on their registrar list, Namecheap and GoDaddy are cited as not having all the Sedo MLS premium features available.

That would be great, if Namecheap was actively working to help sell domains listed on Sedo, using the MLS premium.

•••
Were you able to have your Namecheap domains on MLS Premium? Currently, on their registrar list, Namecheap and GoDaddy are cited as not having all the Sedo MLS premium features available.

That would be great, if Namecheap was actively working to help sell domains listed on Sedo, using the MLS premium.
I dont have any namecheap domain.
I can see that mant dales on sedo these days came from namecheap through their mls integration

•••
I dont have any namecheap domain.
I can see that mant dales on sedo these days came from namecheap through their mls integration
So even though Namecheap has only the basic MLS, they appear to have done quite a few sales through Sedo? It's curious then that they wouldn't have the premium MLS integration. Perhaps that hasn't mattered to them.

•••
•••
Hello,

Any idea ?
Do you set the price at Sedo lower than afternic , or both of them same ? Registrar path usually show from the lower listing

•••
Do you set the price at Sedo lower than afternic , or both of them same ? Registrar path usually show from the lower listing
same (except euro/usd difference as my sedo account is in euro)

•••
Hello,

Any idea ?

Hi everyone on this long thread. Can someone please give a summary of the best options for selling on. Sedo.

What Dns ?
I assume bin at reasonable price , what prices?
Should you offer for sale on Namecheap?
Anything else?

I like Sedo but never had a sale on it. Likewise with Dan.

•••
Hi everyone on this long thread. Can someone please give a summary of the best options for selling on. Sedo.

What Dns ?
I assume bin at reasonable price , what prices?
Should you offer for sale on Namecheap?
Anything else?

I like Sedo but never had a sale on it. Likewise with Dan.
1) DNS options-- unclear how much the sl1/2.sedo.com has improved service over the ns1/2.sedoparking.com. Supposedly it does filter out more bot traffic, and allow for better presentation on a variety of devices. They didn't have stats showing up previously for visits to your domains when using Sl1/2, but that may have now been improved.
2) BIN prices--- that a tough one.
3) Offering for sale on Namecheap? They do have a list of what appears to be completed auctions there, that you can check out.
4) For anything else, I will share that I was impressed last week by their ability to present a buyer who made a respectable offer for one of my more valuable domains. They have a nice little alert that they present next to the domain, so you know there's an offer. Since my last sale, I notice they have added features where you can send a message to the buyer when doing a counteroffer. They still provide the option of going to auction rather than doing a counteroffer. And, as an added bonus, they did have telephone customer support available late on a Saturday afternoon. So there are some definite improvements in their system.

•••
1) DNS options-- unclear how much the sl1/2.sedo.com has improved service over the ns1/2.sedoparking.com. Supposedly it does filter out more bot traffic, and allow for better presentation on a variety of devices. They didn't have stats showing up previously for visits to your domains when using Sl1/2, but that may have now been improved.
2) BIN prices--- that a tough one.
3) Offering for sale on Namecheap? They do have a list of what appears to be completed auctions there, that you can check out.
4) For anything else, I will share that I was impressed last week by their ability to present a buyer who made a respectable offer for one of my more valuable domains. They have a nice little alert that they present next to the domain, so you know there's an offer. Since my last sale, I notice they have added features where you can send a message to the buyer when doing a counteroffer. They still provide the option of going to auction rather than doing a counteroffer. And, as an added bonus, they did have telephone customer support available late on a Saturday afternoon. So there are some definite improvements in their system.
Thank you for the reply. I wasnt sure what the significance of Namecheap was in the thread. Is it unsupported by Sedo for wider marketing but that has changed, not sure?

•••
Thank you for the reply. I wasnt sure what the significance of Namecheap was in the thread. Is it unsupported by Sedo for wider marketing but that has changed, not sure?
I had many sedo sales from namecheap as sedo mls within a few days. I think they've market previous search from their customer with exact match domains.

•••
I think the key fact that everyone is skipping over is your pricing. You mentioned that you are selling domains for $500. Most people are not selling domains for $500. Take away the registration costs, renewal costs, time spent researching the names, acquisition costs, managing costs, taxes, etc and it makes very little sense to sell for $500 or even $1,500. Especially when you are considering the fact that a business is gaining an asset, a brand, a virtual office, etc.

Regardless, given the economic uncertainty, sales in the lower pricing tiers are increasing. So people may not jump on that $x,xxx or $xx,xxx domain as quickly, but a $xxx is not much of a risk for them. Additionally, there is always an increase of bigger investors taking advantage of people underpricing their assets. So when the economy is down, those cheap assets get bought up quicker than those that are priced higher. Just basic economy.

Why is this happening in Sedo for you more than Afternic? I have no idea. But my guess is that Sedo has a better system to browse for names than afternic does. For the most part, Afternic names are getting discovered through type-ins. Where in Sedo, there's a small chance someone is using their search.

Personally, during the last 5-10 years of using Sedo, I have seen no results. Everything from their Great Auctions to their regular listings has been a complete waste of time for me.
I agree with you. I've never sold a name at Sedo.

Surprising, I usually get a lot of offers at Sedo yearly despite not pointing any of my names there. My experience so far is that most of the offers are usually low ball offers with $1k being the maximum offer I have ever gotten on Sedo. These are usually for names I have listed for high xxxx and xxxxx BIN prices at Afternic and at Dan. On the other hand, my listings at Sedo are all make offers.

So, from my experience, I can only conclude that most offers are coming from fellow domainers. Maybe, Sedo has become a hunting ground for low cost domain acquisitions. Regardless, I will keep using them as those offers help me in gauging market interest in certain names.

•••
I agree with you. I've never sold a name at Sedo.

Surprising, I usually get a lot of offers at Sedo yearly despite not pointing any of my names there. My experience so far is that most of the offers are usually low ball offers with $1k being the maximum offer I have ever gotten on Sedo. These are usually for names I have listed for high xxxx and xxxxx BIN prices at Afternic and at Dan. On the other hand, my listings at Sedo are all make offers.

So, from my experience, I can only conclude that most offers are coming from fellow domainers. Maybe, Sedo has become a hunting ground for low cost domain acquisitions. Regardless, I will keep using them as those offers help me in gauging market interest in certain names.
You should try BIN at Sedo.

It might change your opinion, especially lately. Had several BIN sales at them recently.

•••

It might change your opinion, especially lately. Had several BIN sales at them recently.
Those offers come in because I have a $20 minimum on all names which I set on purpose.

•••
Those offers come in because I have a $20 minimum on all names which I set on purpose.
That's your choice of course. But I've never personally seen anything like this working at Sedo (offer with low min instead of BIN).

What works at Sedo is 4-fig BIN price, the actual price you want for the domain. A lot of buyers especially European ones will hit the BIN. Also my tests show EUR working better than USD on Sedo.

Lately It appears that they also funnel a lot of requests from Namecheap, seems there was a breakup there with Afternic or something. In any case, our sales have grown well at Sedo since that rumor came out (don't have precise info but seems true). But in any case: Without a BIN, you're losing sales.

My opinion is that with this setup you're not using Sedo in the most efficient manner.

Good luck

•••

There seem to be strong opinions about whether having BIN is OK on multiple marketplaces. If one has Afternic Fast Transfer activated, there is a question of exclusivity there for the BIN. Sedo customer service had alluded to this possibility, while not confirming this.
Granted, it's probably unlikely that the same domain would sell on two marketplaces on the same day. But if this did happen, what are the consequences?
To me, make offer makes more sense on Sedo, if you using Afternic Fast Transfer for those domains as well. An alternative might be to forgo the FT, and simply have BIN for regular listings in both locations.

•••
There seem to be strong opinions about whether having BIN is OK on multiple marketplaces. If one has Afternic Fast Transfer activated, there is a question of exclusivity there for the BIN. Sedo customer service had alluded to this possibility, while not confirming this.
Granted, it's probably unlikely that the same domain would sell on two marketplaces on the same day. But if this did happen, what are the consequences?
To me, make offer makes more sense on Sedo, if you using Afternic Fast Transfer for those domains as well. An alternative might be to forgo the FT, and simply have BIN for regular listings in both locations.

I have good reasons not to worry about that

•••
Back