IT.COM

status-monitor Selling in Chat (Poll)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How often should selling be allowed in chat?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Fridays only

votes
    14.3%
  • Weekends only

votes
    22.2%
  • Every other day

votes
    3.2%
  • Always

votes
    42.5%
  • Never

votes
    23.4%
  • Other (explain in a post)

votes
    3.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

In chat, we've been testing out a new set of rules on Fridays to allow selling ("Casual Fridays"): More details.

Please let us know whether we should:
  1. Only allow selling in chat on Fridays like we have been doing.
  2. Extend selling in chat to the entire weekend.
  3. Allow selling every other day in chat.
  4. Always (24/7) selling in chat.
  5. Never allow selling in chat.
  6. Other (explain in a post)

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I too support the 24/7 chat sales but obviously with rules; whether some genuine mistakes happen ( posting after 10 min instead of 15 especially when chat is very active and can't be scrolled up enough ) there are members who, to say it plain and simple, do not give a flying fluke about rules.

Those members should not be allowed in chat as they are abusing the system at the expenses of others..

I'd also like to see a clock in chat..or a countdown timer that one can start to make sure the 15 min have passed before posting.

As someone else has previously pointed out instant messaging between chat users would be a great addition for selling.

•••
How about a separate chat room for buying and selling?

•••
Do you want to see ads every time you enter chat?
The problem is that not many people enter the chat.

But if you notice what happens during casual weekends, you'll see that the ads are regularly pushed up by conversations. So, you have both advertising and conversations going on at the same time.

•••
Please forgive sequential posts - as these are different issues

Recently noticed these entries in chat - is this automated or manual? Member info removed, they were each unique members
=====
  1. Today at 10:19 AM - :
    Not Casual Weekends yet Thank you
  2. Today at 7:19 AM - :
  3. Today at 8:24 AM - :
  4. Today at 8:29 AM
  5. Today at 3:38 PM - :

Those were edited manually by mods because the users were posting ads.

Last edited:
•••
82 percent people vote for always ,now why admin not allow to post all days. if admin allow us to post all days then it will generate more traffic on site ,more people will participate in chat and more opportunities will create for sale domain name .
It's not "percent" - it's 82 votes.

Updated explanation here: https://www.namepros.com/posts/5856762/

Hope that helps,

•••
Just out of curiosity, has anybody actually sold a name they posted in chat that you can tie to it being posted there?

I never really understood it.

I've checked it out before and it always looks like sellers in chat. You can't link out to outside places, only to Namepros, so you're just linking to an already existing thread.

So, if I was a buyer, I would simply go to the forum and look thru the threads. I wouldn't hang out in chat hoping somebody would post a name I'm interested in, that already exists in a thread.

•••
^ umm it's boring, having spam, spam spam 24 hours a day for 4 days

Chat is boring every day so selling chat actaully gives chat a purpose.

•••
24/7 for all or just for golds/vips/etc

•••
Thursday and Sunday I think the day and time is good

•••
How should the green light be repurposed?

Color coordinate or for another message.

Maybe instead of “Room 1” make it “green” and “Room 2” Gray (or any other color)

Last edited:
•••
so, every 15 min. somebody could post the same :poop: names, 7 days a week?

and you wonder why, it's not that much conversation there.

imo....
People misunderstand that the messages are not read :/

..if creating 2 chats is possible as @iAdam suggested would be amazing

Spam domains in one...NamePros chat in another

Last edited:
•••
•••
From about 1900 to 0100 Hrs. (It would make the chat section more active.)

Regards...jmcc

•••
For most working-folk a 'Friday Only' service is (in effect) only a 'Friday Evening After I Get Home From Work, Bathe and Eat - But Before Midnight' service.

For working-folk-with-families a 'Friday Only' service isn't a useful 'service' at all.

Last edited:
•••
In chat, we've been testing out a new set of rules on Fridays to allow selling ("Casual Fridays"): More details.

Please let us know whether we should:
  1. Only allow selling in chat on Fridays like we have been doing.
  2. Extend selling in chat to the entire weekend.
  3. Allow selling every other day in chat.
  4. Always (24/7) selling in chat.
  5. Never allow selling in chat.
  6. Other (explain in a post)

Thanks in advance!

Fridays and maybe weekends. If you allow selling in chat that would be something like "live auctions" and you will kill the forum and sales (auctions) on the forum.

•••
Hi Eric,

Thank you for thinking about increasing sales of NP members.

It is obvious that people are almost every day selling domains in chat, may be some are new,may be they are just spamming there or for any other reason.
I would say that selling in chat can be set to Always or Every other to make such illegal selling legal everyday. But, I must say there should be certain rules for everyone to follow there to prevent chat from spamming. May be, it ll need active 1-2 mods in chat every time to stop spamming there.

This is what I suggest.
Thanks

•••
fridays is okay. just maybe ,Maybe sunday too. but creating a separate chat room for selling and buying domains would lead to abuse of the system.

•••
I heard a complaint a while back about there being no end users here...i think it wouldnt work out so great unless you have to pay to post ,reason i say that is we cant all be in one room buying and selling people would see the buying price and what it sold for right? So end user room seperate from buy chat room i think would help aand make sales easier and end buyers at par with resellers/sellers. Thank you

•••
From an administrative perspective, I say either all or none--anything else isn't really enforceable. There's no way to communicate the exact schedule to all participants, especially when we're distributed across many timezones. We could have an indicator that appears in chat to notify participants of the rules for the current point in time, but that's still not going to be as effective as a consistent rule.

•••
sales on Friday only!

which will give time during the week, for anticipation of that day.

imo...

•••
2 chats. 1 for general and 1 for spam.

•••
Just changed my vote to "Always". I do miss the live NP auctions, and I think there are more active members on NP then there were before, we could be better than NJ! I think from NP's point of view, the auctions were too time consuming, but if we set an ordered list for live auctions, each seller can be their own auctioneer - if the seller isn't online, someone else can fill in for him (can be anyone that is online, and can be a different person each time - just to get that sense of being an auctioneer) - that way, the staff won't have to do much and it will be the seller's own responsibility to look at the member's iTrader and choose a trustworthy escrow if necessary. Then NP won't be taking commission either, and it'll be a member-run system. Maybe once every two weeks. We could maybe add a little widget to the sidebar highlighting the details of the next auction. Sounds fun. The auction archive text can be posted in a thread later for those that missed it (and should be visible to members only so the search engines don't pick up the names and prices they sold for). Then the seller's who weren't online will know how much their domains sold for, and we will have a base on which to leave an iTraders.

•••
There are dedicated sections in the forum for the purpose of buying, selling, and discussing domain names. So Instead of suggesting improving those sections with better control, asking to shift part of that task into the chat room is surely a step back in evolution, and calling for unnecessary moderation distraction.
Just my thoughts...

•••
•••
One suggest, if I may, would be to put a little more verbage directly on the chatroom page that reminds/teaches users some of the great features of the chat and NP.

For example, on sales days, some users have regular conversation while some users are just repeating the same sales message over and over again for the most part.

It took me a while to realize that I could "temporarily" ignore those users that were just running sales ads all day. Even if I forget to unignore them, I just check my profile page for people I ignore, and unignore everyone.

It is possible to have a pleasant experience in chat even on sales days if you set it up correctly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back