Dynadot

status-monitor Selling in Chat (Poll)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How often should selling be allowed in chat?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Fridays only

votes
    14.3%
  • Weekends only

votes
    22.2%
  • Every other day

votes
    3.2%
  • Always

votes
    42.5%
  • Never

votes
    23.4%
  • Other (explain in a post)

votes
    3.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

In chat, we've been testing out a new set of rules on Fridays to allow selling ("Casual Fridays"): More details.

Please let us know whether we should:
  1. Only allow selling in chat on Fridays like we have been doing.
  2. Extend selling in chat to the entire weekend.
  3. Allow selling every other day in chat.
  4. Always (24/7) selling in chat.
  5. Never allow selling in chat.
  6. Other (explain in a post)

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From about 1900 to 0100 Hrs. (It would make the chat section more active.)

Regards...jmcc

•••
I vote for always for a number reasons :

First , we can peomote the domains and running auctions without having to wait 24 hours to bump.

Second , the chat will be more active. Right now if it is not Friday, the chat is almoat abandoned.
So it should be allowed all the time .

Another thing, the 15 min interval is good but there should be a way for me to know when I laat poated a sales message. Right now , it is hard to meet the 15 min interval

•••
i think selling should be allowed on the weekend.

the weekends are so boring anyway. i don't see selling hurting the chat it makes it more interesting imo

•••
A separate chat for sales only would create a comfortable chat for non sellers and buyers while providing a 24/7 live sales for buyers to scan when they want and even request domains they are looking for. The forums do get more sales but there are a lot of domains mentioned in chat that are not in the forums..
thanky for your time :)

•••

Make a second sales chat, selling is allowed and no rules to to intervals also.... yet there should still be someone (who would want to do this of course) who is now regularly in chat, around with mod powers for the chat, to stop extensive none stop spamming of the same name every minute or 30 seconds....

If we make to chats the very few that pop along and complain about casual Friday cause its so spammy and blahblah that are usually never in chat anyways, can then hit the nonseller chat and just post their clean: Hi message wait for 2 minutes maybe get lucky and have a 3 minute conversation and then leave again...

3. we can call them the dead chat (the non advertising chat this will be) and the active chat (this will be the selling chat)

I dont think it now matters if a chat is a bit spammy but atleast you can buy and sell names, cause otherwise it would just be empty with a hi, here and there...

•••
A limit on how many messages can be posted by one member can be set in general... that is consecutive messages, within a certain timeframe, etc specifically on Fridays.

I voted for Fridays only.

I could not bear to view all the "Premium" domains for sale, when I am in chat on a weekday.

Since fewer log in on weekends, weekends may not be such a good idea, but at the same time, it could help improve traffic on weekends? I'm usually not on NP on the weekends, so it wouldn't affect me and other members who are not online.

•••
To me anything where someone posts: "vugihih.me for sale pm me" then 15 min later posts it again, and again, will lead to the chatroom being the sales chat room.

What I would like to see is if the chatroom is talking about a subject and someone has a domain within that subject they can say 'I have one of those PM me if you are interested" without be admonished.

•••
What if somwonw pops into the salwa chat when in fact they are not selling? Almost all the time the non sales chat will be empty

•••
•••
What if somwonw pops into the salwa chat when in fact they are not selling? Almost all the time the non sales chat will be empty
The seller chat would obviously also welcome non buyers and sellers ;)

•••
For most working-folk a 'Friday Only' service is (in effect) only a 'Friday Evening After I Get Home From Work, Bathe and Eat - But Before Midnight' service.

For working-folk-with-families a 'Friday Only' service isn't a useful 'service' at all.

Last edited:
•••
Having selling allowed in chat always defeats the purpose of having it called "Chat".

The definition of "Chat" (Reference.com/Dictionary.com) is "to converse in a familiar or informal manner" manner, not "to sell in a familiar or informal manner". This would open it up to nothing but spamming and that will lead to a decrease of people exchanging good and useful information in the chat room. It will eventually be known as a selling only area, so then why not call it sales chat?

Allowing it always will basically hurt the exchange of good information via chat, so then where would someone then go who just wants to learn and ask questions about domains?

Having every other day would lead to confusion as to when it's allowed and when it's not, so that option isn't going to be the best.

If you want to allow sales/sales promotion in chat, then why not create a separate widget/area exactly like "Chat" and call it "Sales Chat"? That way anyone that just want's to chat about domains and good useful information can do that, and someone looking to buy and sell will have an audience that is there for that sole purpose.

•••
In chat, we've been testing out a new set of rules on Fridays to allow selling ("Casual Fridays"): More details.

Please let us know whether we should:
  1. Only allow selling in chat on Fridays like we have been doing.
  2. Extend selling in chat to the entire weekend.
  3. Allow selling every other day in chat.
  4. Always (24/7) selling in chat.
  5. Never allow selling in chat.
  6. Other (explain in a post)

Thanks in advance!

Fridays and maybe weekends. If you allow selling in chat that would be something like "live auctions" and you will kill the forum and sales (auctions) on the forum.

•••
I think 1 chat is enough, only on friday's I think it's enough, no one like spammy chats.

•••
Hi Eric,

Thank you for thinking about increasing sales of NP members.

It is obvious that people are almost every day selling domains in chat, may be some are new,may be they are just spamming there or for any other reason.
I would say that selling in chat can be set to Always or Every other to make such illegal selling legal everyday. But, I must say there should be certain rules for everyone to follow there to prevent chat from spamming. May be, it ll need active 1-2 mods in chat every time to stop spamming there.

This is what I suggest.
Thanks

•••
fridays is okay. just maybe ,Maybe sunday too. but creating a separate chat room for selling and buying domains would lead to abuse of the system.

•••
•••
But, I must say there should be certain rules for everyone to follow there to prevent chat from spamming. May be, it ll need active 1-2 mods in chat every time to stop spamming there.

This is what I suggest.
Thanks

I agree with the separate "sales Chat" with 1 or 2 trusted Mods to stop the Spamming or at least control it.

•••
Well, it's not getting handled now. I'm seeing Alienware giveaways posted over and over again. Is the goal to have a free for all? You hiring extra people to monitor it? Who's watching it now, are they doing it for free? The forum is getting busy itself, you going to overload the mods?

•••
There's already a section of the forum to buy and sell domains. Keep the chat to casual discussion.

•••
NamePros is known as a THE place to come and learn about domains and sharing information and resources about them. Yes, there is a lot of selling here as well.

However, if you open up and get swarmed with nothing but sales information and sales spam, that can lead to another of the many domain forums to take over the spot of being the place to go to learn about domains. As the domain world is expanding and growing in many ways and with other sales platforms out there, does NamePros really want to lose it's title as being the place to go to learn about domains and sharing information related to them.

Having sales here are great, don't get me wrong, but getting away from what has drawn it's member base can lead to a downfall in the growth of NamePros. I for one am not ready to have some other forum take over the spot of top domain information, sharing and learning resource forum.

•••
At first, I thought NamePros chat would be the perfect place for live sales. I imagined quality domains being advertised by a wide variety of people. Unfortunately, the reality is that the same handful of people push the same terrible names over and over and over again.

Personally, I would love to see chat sales disappear.

*poof*

•••
Now this is embarrassing... :) I only just discovered there was a chat room on this forum after reading this thread...

•••
Hi Eric,
I hope you remember Rami's fundraising Chat sales
Is there any chance to bring such chat auctions ?

• A mod can auction the names.
  • User can submit upto 3 names for an event - $1 Reserve auction
  • Weekly auction

and similar thing for fixed price sale

•••
Back