IT.COM

.mobi Secret .mobi fan spotted and revealed!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Guess who bought Tickets.mobi!!? Straight from the 'king' himself!

RicksBlog

Time for naysayer 'reassess'??!?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Open minds seize opportunities that closed minds will never see."

Now who would he be talking about?

•••
hawkeye said:
Guess who bought Tickets.mobi!!? Straight from the 'king' himself!

RicksBlog

Time for naysayer 'reassess'??!?

He's been buying them almost since the beginning ... Nothing really revealing about it. ;)

Doesn't change My opinion. He an others can afford the risk on this new extension , Others can't. Domain Speculation by anyone (Established or not) should not be the entire reason Thousands of others follow them. Doing your own research and Risk Assessment is still wise.

Not trying to bring down anyone or Rain on anyones parade here either ... Just pointing out the obvious.

•••
Rick is talking about not only himself, but a fellow domainer who has been in the business since 1992.

It is hard to argue with their kind of success.

They know the domain name business inside out. They are personal friends with the internet insiders.

Rick confirms what I suspected. The truly valuable mobi domains are limited in number and are those perfectly matched to the media.

Some acronyms, because businesses adore and use them, and truly generic terms are the ones to own.

The "limited" number of perfect domains will make them incredibly valuable.

Rick has taken the time to give everyone his best opinion. He probably just drove up the price he will have to pay to secure the other names on his "top list". Especially, if other well heeled domainers decide they should weigh in.

For most domainers, businesses will be looking for the "next best" domains and that is the category that most of us fall into with our offerings.

For example music.mobi is arguably the best domain in it's space. It won't be the only music site offered, so what is the "next best"? That is the need the rest of us can fill.

We should take his advice and thank him.

Regards,

Sags

•••
always follow big money :)

klm390 said:
"Open minds seize opportunities that closed minds will never see."

Now who would he be talking about?

•••
For what it's worth I think Ricks comments about values & core domains is somewhat subjective. I believe that he refers to valuable in the terms of potential 7 figure domains... from what I've seen & what I've researched there will be hundreds of thousands of dotmobi domains well into $xx,xxx - this may not be significant for Rick & co but it's rich enough for the likes of me.....

There are so many ways to make use of the extension that it'd take a book to list them all...

It's been a tough week in blighty but what a way to end the week! ;)

Good luck to all; we have the knowledge!

•••
sags said:
Rick is talking about not only himself, but a fellow domainer who has been in the business since 1992.

It is hard to argue with their kind of success.

They know the domain name business inside out. They are personal friends with the internet insiders.

Rick confirms what I suspected. The truly valuable mobi domains are limited in number and are those perfectly matched to the media.

Some acronyms, because businesses adore and use them, and truly generic terms are the ones to own.

Rick has taken the time to give everyone his best opinion. He probably just drove up the price he will have to pay to secure the other names on his "top list". Especially, if other well heeled domainers decide they should weigh in.

For most domainers, businesses will be looking for the "next best" domains and that is the category that most of us fall into with our offerings.

For example music.mobi is arguably the best domain in it's space. It won't be the only music site offered, so what is the "next best"? That is the need the rest of us can fill.

We should take his advice and thank him.

Regards,

Sags

Next best after Music.mobi ...hmmmm..Well I wont claim I have the next best but I do have some which IMO are nice. I mean..how many truly excellent domain names can you create with the word "MUSIC" in them? Not that many. Some other very good ones would be :

MusicDownloads
DownloadMusic
FreeMusic
MyMusic
Imusic
MusicStore
LatestMusic
JustMusic..............ect..ect..ect I,m sure you can come up with some more good ones.
OK all these I just listed are taken already of course.(not by me unfortunately) I still have a few up my sleeve that are available and I might reg them later as I sell more of my other .mobi niches because I want to basicly concentrate on music.Mobi's

I myself have the following "MUSIC" .mobi's
All of them quite nice with some even better then just quite nice in my opinion.

MusicClub
MusicSite
MusicLounge
MusicHeaven
MusicXpress
EuroMusic

Regards
Fred

Last edited:
•••
Nice one Binaryman.... & there I was thinking you didn't have many names left ;)

I think musicheaven / site / club / lounge & Euro all have brandability........ not sure about Xpress but certainly not a lame duck in itself..

Good luck with them.

•••
newdomainer.mobi said:
Nice one Binaryman.... & there I was thinking you didn't have many names left ;)

I think musicheaven / site / club / lounge & Euro all have brandability........ not sure about Xpress but certainly not a lame duck in itself..

Good luck with them.

Thnx ND :)

•••
actually: MusicSite.mobi is best name there imo

Very generic and should get you a premium one day :imho: :sold:

•••
So Rick owns these as per a thread in another forum:

Flowers.mobi
JERKOFF.MOBI
creampies.mobi
lickme.mobi
morons.mobi
freephonecards.mobi
tickets.mobi, and many many more.

Whois looks Rick's :)

•••
arnie said:
actually: MusicSite.mobi is best name there imo

Very generic and should get you a premium one day :imho: :sold:

:)

•••
sags said:

To put it bluntly the overwhelming majority of registered mobi are quasi worthless and don't have a chance. But I get your point.

•••
sdsinc said:
To put it bluntly the overwhelming majority of registered mobi are quasi worthless and don't have a chance. But I get your point.
I disagree.

Rick is saying that a limited number of domains will be extremely valuable. That still means that loads more can have value, just not extreme value. The same is true for .com and other exts as well.

I would say extreme value is 7 figures and beyond. Valuable is 4 figures or better. Even at $xxx it's worth it because reg fee is only $8. If I can make a profit in any of these categories then I'm happy!

•••
sdsinc said:

sh*t.com is worth about the same as sh*t.mobi, sh*no_url_shorteners.uk etc

however i would say sh*t.us & sh*t.biz are worth considerable less lol

•••
sdsinc said:
Okay - lets put things in perspective.

So according to the statement that the "majority" of the currently registered 850,000 mobi names are "quasi worthless" ... hmmm ... doing the math ... that would mean -at most- anything below half ... or about 400,000 are "worth something". So only below 400,000 different names could be worth anything - to anyone - having them ??? Interesting, but a very limited perspective on things.

Consider this ... There are approximately 73,000,000 .com domains registered ... and using those standards, anything above 400,000 words or combination of words are "quasi worthless". Wow, that puts about 70 million "quasi worthless" .com domains too. Drop 'em before they crash. And just think about how many "quasi worthless" .net/.org/.co.uk/.de./info/.biz/.anything there are out there too.

Forget the .com is God thinking. Words are words. Keywords are keywords. Throw any extension after them and you can make those into websites work. Last year's existing domain names were not the only domain names to ever be worth registering. And nor are this year's names the end all be all. There will be more coming.

Everything doesn't have to be in the top 100 .com only domain names to be "worth" something to somebody. Or be in the top 1,000 or 10,000 names in any extension for that matter. Stop comparing every single name to those highlighted in DNJournal's top sales lists. Every single domain name in any extension "has a chance" to be worth something to someone if it is developed.

Many domainers spend so much time arguing against somerthing would be better off putting that same time and energy into developing some of their non-top-1,000-term names into useful websites.

You've finally got your "LLL.com"... or a couple hundred "LLLL.com" names. WooHoo! Fine. Congratulations on working and achieving a goal. Now what? Or you've bought and sold domain names and made a profit. Great. Again, congratulations. That's only one side of domaining and not the main purpose for the existence of domain names.

And all the while in the rest of the "real" world ... businesses are using domain names with MANY characters, in MANY extensions, in MANY languages. And people all over the world are visiting those websites and buying those products and ordering those services and getting all that information. Someone forgot to tell them that only 400,000 web names could ever be "worth anything".

Open your minds people. Domain names were invented to allow people and businesses to set up unique addresses to disseminate their information on the internet, not just to be "trading cards" or "trophies" for domainers. The top deals or the top industry icons are a miniscule part of whole picture. It is ridiculous to focus so much on them.

•••
sdsinc said:
Just like how 99% of the registered .com are worthless I suppose.

•••
gou said:
Just like how 99% of the registered .com are worthless I suppose.
Well not quite. My point is that .mobi is not an established extension like .com. An average .com is still worth more than its mobi counterpart.
Besides the scope of the TLD is narrower. A lot of businesses don't have a mobile site and will never have because they have no need for it.
Again, when I say mobile site it doesn't even mean a .mobi site.

•••
sdsinc said:
Well not quite. My point is that .mobi is not an established extension like .com. An average .com is still worth more than its mobi counterpart.
Besides the scope of the TLD is narrower. A lot of businesses don't have a mobile site and will never have because they have no need for it.
So you're saying that many businesses will never have the
want or need to put themselves in the pockets of billions
of people?

It may be hard for some to see now but any info offered via the pc will be offered on mobile. Why would the mobile web be limited in any way? If you could have access to the entire internet anytime, anyplace, would'nt you utilize it? While you may not, billions of others will. It will happen sooner than you think...I promise!

Oh and .mobi has the potential to be the most established tld other than .com...and maybe one day beyond that. Think down the road a spell :)

•••
sdsinc said:
That fact is nothing new...

sdsinc said:
If the US ever becomes anything like Japan in terms of the popularity of mobile internet, they will.

•••
sdsinc said:
I think you are missing a BIG point - dot mobi sites are NOT LIMITED to mobile access only - yes, they are intended to GUARANTEE mobile access but they can also simultaneously include full PC size information. You can use device detection and serve BOTH mobile and non-mobile pages. Just don't use frames, tables and large graphics on the mobile pages. Common sense requirements. Newer CSS designs already do away with the need for tables anyway and frames are typically not a real good idea to use for a number of reasons.

Dot mobi domain names are VERSATILE and an individual or a business of any size can - today - still acquire great keyword .mobi names for a small fraction of the price of their dot com counterparts. Useful, reasonably priced or downright inexpensive, and targetted toward the fastest growing segment of the online world. Not the biggest yet just the fastest growing.

Both online worlds and both extensions can coexist. Sure a .com domain name is worth more on the market TODAY. So what. All the more reason for anyone wanting to put up a website for the future to grab a good .mobi name today while they can. Dot mobi names are widely available for businesses - short, generic, easy to remember, and way less expensive.

•••
acc said:
I think you are missing a BIG point - dot mobi sites are NOT LIMITED to mobile access only - yes, they are intended to GUARANTEE mobile access but they can also simultaneously include full PC size information. You can use device detection and serve BOTH mobile and non-mobile pages. Just don't use frames, tables and large graphics on the mobile pages. Common sense requirements. Newer CSS designs already do away with the need for tables anyway and frames are typically not a real good idea to use for a number of reasons.

Dot mobi domain names are VERSATILE and an individual or a business of any size can - today - still acquire great keyword .mobi names for a small fraction of the price of their dot com counterparts. Useful, reasonably priced or downright inexpensive, and targetted toward the fastest growing segment of the online world. Not the biggest yet just the fastest growing.

Both online worlds and both extensions can coexist. Sure a .com domain name is worth more on the market TODAY. So what. All the more reason for anyone wanting to put up a website for the future to grab a good .mobi name today while they can. Dot mobi names are widely available for businesses - short, generic, easy to remember, and way less expensive.

:sold: :sold: :sold:

•••
acc said:
I think you are missing a BIG point - dot mobi sites are NOT LIMITED to mobile access only - yes, they are intended to GUARANTEE mobile access but they can also simultaneously include full PC size information. You can use device detection and serve BOTH mobile and non-mobile pages...
Exactly! This is what soooo many have missed. It's not just for mobile devices!! And .mobi will get the jump on all other extensions with this scenerio, because those sites are being actively built now moreso and moreso, and with browser/device detect. And as surfers go to 'explore' these new sites to see what they are about, they will discover this. No other extension is actively being promoted (or hyped) as much as .mobi is, and will be, for the next few years, and current website owners are not running to put browser/device detect into their current sites. In a few years we will see a shift in extension popularity and usage as more and more realize which sites will be the easiest to access and use whether it be pc or mobile device. And one can rant technology and iphone praises all they want, they will however just be a part of the solutions for a mobile web, not the solution. As will .mobi.

•••
sdsinc said:

This is completely not what Rick was saying. I think it ridiculous to say his main point was couple could be worth a fortune and the rest nothing; either you did not read the enire blog or you are making trouble on purpose. You can build a mobile site in any extension. If mobi does not take off among businesses and the general public there is no reason tickets.mobi is worth anymore than tickets.sp The point Rick is making is that these names in the mobile space would be worth a fortune. The only way the names he has become worth a fortune is if mobi becomes the mobile space. He may be right or wrong but those of us investing in mobi share that mindset.

•••
acc said:
I have a good command of CSS and content negotiation techniques.
For that very reason I would rather use browser detection than dilute my .com branding.
mobi does nothing that .com cannot.
keithmt said:
It may be hard for some to see now but any info offered via the pc will be offered on mobile. Why would the mobile web be limited in any way? If you could have access to the entire internet anytime, anyplace, would'nt you utilize it? While you may not, billions of others will. It will happen sooner than you think...I promise!
OK one example: I have a client that sells expensive testing equipment, they usually work on GSA schedule and deal with 5-9 federal/state bureaucrats. The average order is 35K. Really it's not the kind of business that would be conducted on a mobile site/on the move.
My client will never bother with a mobile website. It would be like eskimos purchasing fridges :]

Many many sites will never go mobile or not anytime soon because their business model does not fit mobile usage.
Now if I had say 10% mobile visitors to my site then clearly I would do something to optimise their experience it while staying in .com. But until a critical mass is reached I would have other priorities like translating my sites to Spanish for example.
I'm not afraid of missing out on mobi because mobile sites will continue to exist under .com and other extensions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back