Dynadot

Question about trading a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SearchLightning.com

www.x10wholesale.comEstablished Member
Impact
My question is I contacted a company on ebay and asked if they would like to trade one of my domains for a script they are selling..... They replied an accepted my offer.... They want me to transfer the domain over to them and asked me to fill in the details as "xxx" and after I transfer the domain they would then send me the script. What is the best way to approach this with out getting riped?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have the most to lose in this case. THEY should provide you with the script first, because if you fail to give them the domain, they can take action against you using the script. But if you give them the domain first, you have no recourse whatsoever.

•••
Gene said:
You have the most to lose in this case. THEY should provide you with the script first, because if you fail to give them the domain, they can take action against you using the script. But if you give them the domain first, you have no recourse whatsoever.

I agree,But it is a common practice to pay for the product before recieving it on ebay.Look at thier feedback rating well,A bunch of neg feedbacks and do not do business with them.If thier feedback is good.atleast 99.1% then i would'nt have a problem trading with them.

•••
Just use escrow if it's trading

•••
Here would be my solution: What is your registrar? I assume Godaddy.com. Because Godaddy has free domain transfer. Now you should make a Godaddy account for the person who offered you the script and transfer the domain name to the account. Then they should search through WHOIS to make sure the domain name is registered on their name. Now they must give you the script and only after that you release the password for the new Godaddy account.
I have sold many domains using this practice.

•••
I think that escrow is the best way to make any transactions that has a low or high risk

•••
3appraisal said:
Here would be my solution: What is your registrar? I assume Godaddy.com. Because Godaddy has free domain transfer. Now you should make a Godaddy account for the person who offered you the script and transfer the domain name to the account. Then they should search through WHOIS to make sure the domain name is registered on their name. Now they must give you the script and only after that you release the password for the new Godaddy account.

That sure wouldn't satisfy me if I were the recipient. As long as you are in sole possession of the password, you are the only onw with control of what happens to it regardless of who's reg info is displayed. You could change the reg info back to yourself at any time... there is no protection whatsoever to the recipient until THEY have the password and go into the account and change the password to their own.

•••
SearchLightning.com said:
My question is I contacted a company on ebay and asked if they would like to trade one of my domains for a script they are selling..... They replied an accepted my offer.... They want me to transfer the domain over to them and asked me to fill in the details as "xxx" and after I transfer the domain they would then send me the script. What is the best way to approach this with out getting riped?

I think your best bet for you both to make sure it's a positive trade would be to go through a trusted third party to act as the escrow. Just make sure it's a reputable company or individual so that both of you don't get conned. That's just another possibility to make sure it's a successful and positive trade. :tu:

3appraisal said:

You the owner would still have possession of the name as you would have the password to the new account you transferred the name to. How would that be any different than keeping it in your own account and transferring it to the new buyer??? Either way you still have control of the name and can change the whois and details on the name at any point. ;) :p

Last edited:
•••
Chris said:
You the owner would still have possession of the name as you would have the password to the new account you transferred the name to. How would that be any different than keeping it in your own account and transferring it to the new buyer??? Either way you still have control of the name and can change the whois and details on the name at any point. ;) :p

Is there an echo in here? LOL :)

•••
Gene said:
Chris said:

Is there an echo in here? LOL :)

:laugh: I didn't even see your post, as I saw his post and hit quote and stopped reading from that point on. Guess two great minds think alike! :)

•••
Gene said:
That sure wouldn't satisfy me if I were the recipient. As long as you are in sole possession of the password, you are the only onw with control of what happens to it regardless of who's reg info is displayed. You could change the reg info back to yourself at any time... there is no protection whatsoever to the recipient until THEY have the password and go into the account and change the password to their own.

I agree, but I am not the only one doing it that way. Maybe I just sound trustworthy :lol: The fact is that the recipient (if he's a smart one) have checked WHOIS and knows my name and address. Again, yes, the address may be fake. Sure, escrow is the best way but then it's always nice to save some money... :blink:

•••
Well I told them to protect us both it would be best to go through a trused 3rd party..... They emailed me back and said that they TRUST me and included the scripts as an attachment.... One of the scripts is the Domain Trader V1.1 with parking and an FTP script..... The domain trader script alone is worth $600 WHY would they just "TRUST ME" I would not trust anyone like that..... It is now making me wonder if this is a legitimate copy of this script... I guess I will just have to contact the company direct to make sure before I transfer the domain..... if you wanted to know what domain I traded for these scripts it was SweetScripts.com.... So do you think this was worth the trade??????

•••
why in the world would you care about legitimity of the copy? Do you intend to resell this program? Just be sure to check the program features. Do they match these of your copy? Does this program work in the way you want? Give it a little bit of a test. It may be fraud! My guess is that DomainTrader is not worth $600. I'd say it's 200 - 300 depending on the seller. But I'm not sure because I do not believe in using that kind of stuff anyway :)

•••
deff setup an ebay auction just incase, then you cana lways threaten them w/ feedback which can hurt business

•••
3appraisal said:
why in the world would you care about legitimity of the copy? Do you intend to resell this program?

Are you joking?? There's no use getting a pirated copy of a script and then later having the original developers catch you and have to take down the script and website. Then are you not only out the money that you could of sold the name for, but are also out the script. While the individual who traded the ripoff copy of the script still has your name to sell. Josh has a lot more to lose in the "trade" than the individual with the script.

•••
NickRac said:
deff setup an ebay auction just incase, then you cana lways threaten them w/ feedback which can hurt business
Yea thats what I was thinking but when I contacted them an offered to do it that way they told me that they "TRUST ME" and sent me the scripts. With as much fraud online it dont make sence to me that they would just trust me with a $600 script. Anyways I have contacted the company and informed them of the transaction but still waiting on a reply.

Chris said:
Are you joking?? There's no use getting a pirated copy of a script and then later having the original developers catch you and have to take down the script and website. Then are you not only out the money that you could of sold the name for, but are also out the script. While the individual who traded the ripoff copy of the script still has your name to sell.
Thanks chris you took the words right out of my mouth.... :bingo:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back