Dynadot

question Xiaomishop.es

NameSilo
Watch

MrRon

Impact
I purchased the xiaomishop.es domain in 2023, and two weeks ago, a Spanish law firm contacted me claiming to represent Xiaomi. They demanded that I immediately cancel and transfer the domain to them. Fearing potential legal issues, I promptly relinquished it. According to my service provider, it will be free in 10 days, and I can reclaim it at any time. Xiaomi's representation contacted me again, expressing dissatisfaction and now offering to pay for the domain to prevent it from becoming available again, avoiding potential risks. What is your opinion on the current value of the domain, considering I repurchased it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I purchased the xiaomishop.es domain in 2023, and two weeks ago, a Spanish law firm contacted me claiming to represent Xiaomi. They demanded that I immediately cancel and transfer the domain to them. Fearing potential legal issues, I promptly relinquished it. According to my service provider, it will be free in 10 days, and I can reclaim it at any time. Xiaomi's representation contacted me again, expressing dissatisfaction and now offering to pay for the domain to prevent it from becoming available again, avoiding potential risks. What is your opinion on the current value of the domain, considering I repurchased it?

•••
cartoon-military-general-salute.jpg

•••
•••
•••

Did you have a plan for that or just wanted to sell it?

•••
•••
Did you have a plan for that or just wanted to sell it?
the plan is to sell them, but I have no idea how much the domain is worth! In several countries in Europe, I think their products are sold in xiaomishop, now I want to open an online store in Spain under the same domain name!

•••
the plan is to sell them, but I have no idea how much the domain is worth! In several countries in Europe, I think their products are sold in xiaomishop, now I want to open an online store in Spain under the same domain name!
Trademark infringement, zero value.

•••
Trademark infringement, zero value.

that's right ! but when the lawyers contacted me to immediately give it up or hand it over! I gave up on it, but then they called me saying that since it is not possible to register again for 10 days and after that there is a risk that someone will pick it up again, so they asked me to take it back and give it to them, which they are paying for, let me tell you!

•••
You already repurchased it? Then it's your liability again and they can demand you to transfer it to them. I think they are willing to pay for your expenses and that's it. You are not in a position to ask for more. You had a better position when the domain wasn't your problem anymore.

•••
You already repurchased it? Then it's your liability again and they can demand you to transfer it to them. I think they are willing to pay for your expenses and that's it. You are not in a position to ask for more. You had a better position when the domain wasn't your problem anymore.
I bought it back because they asked me to, but if they start again and then I'll cancel again, it's as simple as that! or am I wrong ?

•••
I bought it back because they asked me to, but if they start again and then I'll cancel again, it's as simple as that! or am I wrong ?

They can always backorder it or make the same demands to the next registrant, so you really cannot "blackmail" them.

•••
they told me to buy it back because xiaomi, their customer, is worried that it will go to someone else again! But they didn't send an e-mail to buy it back because they are worried! I wrote that I don't want to deal with this anymore. But they didn't let it go because they were worried! Now the e-mail is an official letter, right? because if so, there is evidence that they asked for it!

•••
They can always backorder it or make the same demands to the next registrant, so you really cannot "blackmail" them.
I don't want to blackmail them because I wrote to them about 3-4 times that I won't take it back, they offered to pay for it!

•••
Okay, interesting. They are basically paying you for your service (solving their problem) and not the domain name itself, so the value of the latter is irrelevant here (it's zero to you).

•••
On March 4th, I reported to my domain provider that I am immediately relinquishing ownership rights to the domain name xiaomishop.es. It is no longer part of my portfolio.

It's possible that for a few more days, I can still withdraw because it's in a suspended state. However, this entire situation is extremely uncomfortable for me. Why should I continue dealing with this matter? From the beginning, the gentleman threatened me that if I don't relinquish ownership of the domain name, there will be legal consequences. Now, they expect assistance from me? Please understand, I'm an extremely busy family man, and every moment spent on these matters takes away from my precious free time.

Moreover, if I retract or can indeed retract the ownership rights under cancellation for the domain xiaomishop.es, I'm curious about the potential consequences for me. Is it possible that they might send another unpleasant email stating legal repercussions for owning the xiaomishop domain and demanding an immediate transfer?

Noted, the mentioned domain will become available again from March 14, ten days after the initial mention on March 4, allowing anyone to register it freely.

I have no further interest in dealing with this matter! If you genuinely need my assistance, please provide a statement assuring that there will be no legal consequences for me regarding this issue. Also, when you mentioned in the previous email that your client would be extremely grateful for help in re-registering the domain name, what exactly does this mean for a simple person like me?

I wrote this to them

•••
.was their answer

We understand your position but we have to follow our client’s instructions. They value your time and that’s why they would pay you in case you transfer them the domain name. Our client is concerned about the risk that exists if someone else is ahead of us buying the domain name. You told us that the domain name becomes free on the 14thMarch but we do not know the exact moment to be able to request it.

We look forward to hearing from you in case you are interested in our client’s proposal.

Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

•••
understand your concerns, and I have just spoken with my service provider, where I received information that they can still retract the permanent deletion on March 12th (Tuesday), and the xiaomishop.es domain name can be reinstated in my possession!
Please understand that I am unable to deal with this matter substantively today. However, I would gladly welcome a realistic price offer from you in the exchange. If the offer in the exchange reflects the importance of this matter to your client, I will take the necessary steps on Monday! If your offer does not reflect the true value, I will not pursue the matter further. Over the weekend, a knowledgeable acquaintance of mine will look into what value such a favor represents in the market. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

after that I wrote this

•••
answer

Thank you for your email.

Please let us know what would be the cost for transferring the domain name to Xiaomi and we will inform our client. It is a very simple process and we would provide you with all steps to proceed with the transfer.

Best regards,

•••
So, come up with a number. As I said, it has nothing to do with "the current value of the domain" that you originally inquired about.

•••
So, come up with a number. As I said, it has nothing to do with "the current value of the domain" that you originally inquired about.
we are here, what is the value of such a favor these days? I don't know what to ask for, that's why I registered here to ask knowledgeable people

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back