NameSilo

information Prefix Analysis: Are “Get+Keyword” Domains Worth Investing In?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Looking through data on startups, I routinely come across companies using the appendage “Get” before their brand name, such as GetExample•com, if a company’s name is “Example”. For most companies, this isn’t the most desirable domain. Their best domain, in this case, Example•com, is either too expensive for the company to acquire, or it’s already in active use.

If the company in question is already invested in the “Example” brand name, using the “Get” prefix seems to be one of the more popular types of domains for startups to use. Especially if they’re offering a product or app. But are these types of domains investment-worthy? Should domain investors be acquiring these “Get” domains?

Read the rest on my blog

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the really nice analysis and I agree with your conclusion.

Was surprised that 168 of the 729 you started with (I realize not in this analysis) were not com.

While a really early startup with almost no funds may choose a Get, that does not mean the aftermarket is encouraging for retail upgrades to one, partly because of the alternatives readily available as you note near the end.

While this just looked at Get, I suspect that results would be similar for most other something+keyword where something is an interchangeable common word.

A superb analysis, clearly outlined. Thank you!

Bob

•••
Thanks for the really nice analysis and I agree with your conclusion.

Was surprised that 168 of the 729 you started with (I realize not in this analysis) were not com.

While a really early startup with almost no funds may choose a Get, that does not mean the aftermarket is encouraging for retail upgrades to one, partly because of the alternatives readily available as you note near the end.

While this just looked at Get, I suspect that results would be similar for most other something+keyword where something is an interchangeable common word.

A superb analysis, clearly outlined. Thank you!

Bob

Plus they will go with other names if the Get is too high Bob, I mean I see GetRoman.com everywhere, (they probably never going to be able to get Roman.com) They do own Roman.co but don't run their business on.

Notch is a company I see ads for and they use ByNotch.com, GetNotch.com for sale at DAN $3,000.

•••
companies want to stay at dot com extension. And, in order for that, they add suffix or prefix to their exact business name. If you're just talking about 'GET' from an investor point of view then I think it's an OK investment.

a company has already sacrificed or lost the exact match. Let's say example.com domain. And, an investor has GetExample.com - Instead of paying investor more money - they register getexamplecc.com (cc country code)

But, there could be some companies who may be willing to shorten their name by at least owning the get version. I think reaching out to such companies may help the investor.

Thanks for sharing. And, enjoyed your intro to the conclusion part of your article.

•••
Plus they will go with other names if the Get is too high Bob, I mean I see GetRoman.com everywhere, (they probably never going to be able to get Roman.com) They do own Roman.co but don't run their business on.

Notch is a company I see ads for and they use ByNotch.com, GetNotch.com for sale at DAN $3,000.

You never know.
After all, all roads lead to Rome ;)
'mille viae ducunt homines per saecula Romam'

Last edited:
•••
Great analysis. I have a handful of Get+ domains, which I'm shooting for the moon for. We'll see...

•••
companies want to stay at dot com extension. And, in order for that, they add suffix or prefix to their exact business name

agree. Also, the prefix "Get" conveys an action: GetApp, or GetPizza, or GetDegree, etc.
Along with "Get" I've seen many popular uses of the word: "My" as prefix for keyword domains. It also works well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back