Dynadot

Poll for Name Protection Product Concept

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which brands do you prefer for protecting your domain from loss or impairment?

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
I previously invited input for a new brand name for a product/service that protects domain owners from unforeseen risks and provides optional insurance against economic loss. The concept was introduced here.

After a few days of reviewing domain submissions, we now have a screened list of prospects for this project and are looking for some input on name selection before making a final decision.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I like CrucialNames because it makes the point of what you want to protect, I don't see this service for everyone but for those with "crucial names" they must protect

Thanks .. That was exactly my feeling when I submitted the name.;) I think contextually and in terms of delivering the message of what they're trying to do it's one of the better domains. Although I do have to admit that NameSeal is simpler and somewhat catchier brand. I loved the use of crucial as opposed to "great", or something in that vein, because some people might need to insure domains that they themselves admit might not be top notch, but are still crucial to the running of their business.

CrucialNames also conveys an impression of empathy and understanding to potential customers in that the service understands that regardless of the domain, it will always be handled as if it was of crucial importance to them.

I'm a bit sad to see several names very close to what I submitted on the list and I think mine are as good or better. For example:
VettedNames.com
VettedDomains.com
Doesn't really help that you've posted too many names for anyone to keep up with, most of them worse than the top choices ... HOWEVER .. both VettedNames and VettedDomains are at least linguistically usable .. whereas VettedName isn't the expected natural language and really should not even be a consideration. Both those names you proposed here are a million times better and more appropriate (although in the end unfortunately those names only covers half of what they'll be doing with the business, so while linguistically and structurally correct, still not ideal choices).

Which leads me to say that unfortunately as @Rob Monster posts more and more name contests, I think the integrity of polling is just going to continue to plummet. Honestly .. anybody who voted for VettedName really are either fake accounts, are only voting because of a connection to the person who submitted the domain, or simply don't have sufficient language or branding skills to know what a good brand actually is. It's such a bad domain that I wouldn't take insurance there even if it were free .. because the first and ONLY thing I'd think of is that it's some foreign hacker trying to steal my info!

It's really unfortunate that whoever the domain belongs to, likely rallied all his or her friends to blindly vote for it .. because now these polls have effectively become completely useless (including this one). Seeing an effective margin of error of 100% on the leading domain really means this poll should be thrown out. Rob .. you should gather some very trusted employees (with existing experience in branded) or hire the services of some of the better branders you can hire, and go through the submissions with them one by one .. dropping a few each round until you're left with a clear winner.

Most definitely I'd suggest using NamePros .. but only for written comments in the goal of discovering pros/cons on some of the names you might have missed .. not for an actual poll.

You might also want to post in the Insider's Lounge, as I think people in there have either paid for an account or have been a member for over a year .. still not the ideal .. but quite a bit better .. plus there's the advantage of the domains not being publicly viewable.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks .. That was exactly my feeling when I submitted the name.;) I think contextually and in terms of delivering the message of what they're trying to do it's one of the better domains. Although I do have to admit that NameSeal is simpler and somewhat catchier brand. I loved the use of crucial as opposed to "great", or something in that vein, because some people might need to insure domains that they themselves admit might not be top notch, but are still crucial to the running of their business.

CrucialNames also conveys an impression of empathy and understanding to potential customers in that the service understands that regardless of the domain, it will always be handled as if it was of crucial importance to them.

Doesn't really help that you've posted too many names for anyone to keep up with, most of them worse than the top choices ... HOWEVER .. both VettedNames and VettedDomains are at least linguistically usable .. whereas VettedName isn't the expected natural language and really should not even be a consideration. Both those names you proposed here are a million times better and more appropriate (although in the end unfortunately those names only covers half of what they'll be doing with the business, so while linguistically and structurally correct, still not ideal choices).

Which leads me to say that unfortunately as @Rob Monster posts more and more name contests, I think the integrity of polling is just going to continue to plummet. Honestly .. anybody who voted for VettedName really are either fake accounts, are only voting because of a connection to the person who submitted the domain, or simply don't have sufficient language or branding skills to know what a good brand actually is. It's such a bad domain that I wouldn't take insurance there even if it were free .. because the first and ONLY thing I'd think of is that it's some foreign hacker trying to steal my info!

It's really unfortunate that whoever the domain belongs to, likely rallied all his or her friends to blindly vote for it .. because now these polls have effectively become completely useless (including this one). Seeing an effective margin of error of 100% on the leading domain really means this poll should be thrown out. Rob .. you should gather some very trusted employees (with existing experience in branded) or hire the services of some of the better branders you can hire, and go through the submissions with them one by one .. dropping a few each round until you're left with a clear winner.

Most definitely I'd suggest using NamePros .. but only for written comments in the goal of discovering pros/cons on some of the names you might have missed .. not for an actual poll.

You might also want to post in the Insider's Lounge, as I think people in there have either paid for an account or have been a member for over a year .. still not the ideal .. but quite a bit better .. plus there's the advantage of the domains not being publicly viewable.

Yes, the poll is an unscientific in every way. ICYMI, in 1999 I founded and led Global Market Insite (GMI) which scaled to 300 employees and was sold to WPP for 9 figures cash. It was my first big exit. The idea of it centered on online market research, and was conceived at the end of a 9 year career at P&G.

One of the things you see a lot in market research is focus groups, one on one interview and ethnographic studies. It is great for range-finding, and figuring out potential problems or opportunities around a concept.

I treat these polls as Concept tests. The added incentive here is that someone sells a domain, and others promote their names in a way that some contextual theme. After all, there is little joy in poring over random portfolios. However, if someone is later looking fo a similar domain, this thread is money.

As for selecting a name, I am a little behind on PMs after a busy week but powering through them tonight and this weekend in between family commitments, most notably, my youngest daughter has Homecoming and my wife and I agreed to host a bunch of high school kids for their after-party.

Updates to follow.

•••
my wife and I agreed to host a bunch of high school kids for their after-party.

May the force be with you! :xf.grin:

(star wars reference for those who may not know)

•••
As for VettedName.com -- I am pretty sure that this is the flag name of Team Nigeria. They are on NamePros in force, and I am thankful for them. There is so much domaining talent in Nigeria that I think it is going to surprise a lot of people when suddenly they are losing to Nigerians in auctions because they have figured out how to not only buy good domains, but also sell them for compelling returns.

More here:

https://www.nairaland.com/3430037/what-make-money-online/788

•••
my youngest daughter has Homecoming and my wife and I agreed to host a bunch of high school kids for their after-party.

Ummmm ... I'd like to insure ALL my domains at Epik please .. ideally before the first kid shows up! ;) lol

•••
Rob .. you should gather some very trusted employees (with existing experience in branded) or hire the services of some of the better branders you can hire, and go through the submissions with them one by one .. dropping a few each round until you're left with a clear winner.

That's a good idea, but instead of dropping a few domains each round until they are left with a clear winner, perhaps it might be better to screen and filter the domains themselves until they get to the last 5 finalist and then take a poll in the forum to help find the winner. I wonder if NamePros can create an option so that you can indicate the number of months that a member has to be around in order to be able to vote. I doubt that those who have made it to the top 5 would take a chance by messing around with the votes on purpose. IMO

Added: it would also be nice if you could have the option to conduct a private poll at NamePros (by invitation only perhaps) to choose the top 5 finalists and then hold a public poll to get the opinion from all members on those 5 finalists. IMO

PS: it's also worth noting that in different parts of the World people give different preferences as to the singular or plural version of a domain and also the order of the keywords so it might not be just because of lack of linguistic or grammar skills it might just be that that's what sounds right to them. IMO

Last edited:
•••
As for VettedName.com -- I am pretty sure that this is the flag name of Team Nigeria. They are on NamePros in force, and I am thankful for them. There is so much domaining talent in Nigeria that I think it is going to surprise a lot of people when suddenly they are losing to Nigerians in auctions because they have figured out how to not only buy good domains, but also sell them for compelling returns.

More here:

"NP members I need you votes

Epik is launching a product that will protect domain owners from unforeseen risks and provides optional insurance

My domain vetted/name/king is among those chosen for poll among others for the name that we be used for this service.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/poll-for-name-protection-product-concept.1155658/

The link to the poll on NP.

Thanks."

Last edited:
•••
As for VettedName.com -- I am pretty sure that this is the flag name of Team Nigeria.

Just to be clear .. I in no way meant that the domain isn't good because of where the submitter is from (I didn't even know at first). But I'm just saying that the domain is linguistically unusable as a brand (the natural language correct version would be VettedNames) .. and it's a serious concern that 63 people voted for it.

If they genuinely think it's the best domain, then they need to stop domaining immediately. If they just blindly voted for their friend, then they need to know they're just ruining their reputation and integrity. While I don't think NamePros really is in a position where they should even care about a public vote, I would most certainly suggest they look into the probability of their being fake accounts involved.

I think domaining is a great opportunity for people from all over the world, but it's "crucial" that they operate in domains where they have a strong command of the language and how it relates to branding. (There are plenty of English speaking Americans and Canadians who aren't very good at it .. not it's not really a geo thing).

•••
haha

"A lot of whites have started to open new account to attack my name on the vote list and increase their vote as well. Thanks"

"He later commended Nigeria that we are least better than India"

Interesting reading.

•••
That's a good idea, but instead of dropping a few domains each round until they are left with a clear winner, perhaps it might be better to screen and filter the domains themselves until they get to the last 5 finalist and then take a poll in the forum to help find the winner.

Nope .. from this point forward polls where any amount of money is involved are completely devoid of integrity in any way. Seriously .. it's gotten 63 votes so far! lol

I doubt that those who have made it to the top 5 would take a chance by messing around with the votes on purpose. IMO

Why wouldn't the top 5 mess with the votes? There's no reason for them not to, and nothing stopping them. On the other side there's a great domain sale as incentive to get your friends to vote blindly. If the domain were close to being a contender .. or even not absolutely horrible, then I'd likely be a little less harsh here. But the domain is completely unusable for linguistic reasons .. and Nigeria is an English speaking nation for the most part, so I'm pretty sure it's not that 62 other people have bad enough linguistic skills so as to justify voting for that domain .. so it's likely a clan thing .. blind voting.

I wonder if NamePros can create an option so that you can indicate the number of months that a member has to be around in order to be able to vote.

As I mentioned above, you could use the Insider's Lounge to get the same effect as getting members registered more than a year ago. But eventually you're just going to make it worse for NamePros administration and the @Support Team as people are going to start creating sleeper accounts and put into hibernation for x number of months.

haha
"A lot of whites have started to open new account to attack my name on the vote list and increase their vote as well. Thanks"
He later commended "Nigeria that we are least better than India"
Interesting reading.
After your first quote I was going to say that at least he didn't make promises to share his profits .. but I'm not sure if I'd have rathered that over the white comments.

Anyhow .. I guess technically it's not really against the rules to to try to rally support .. but it does look bad on the now 62 other people who blindly voted for the domain .. and more importantly, they're responsible for the fact polls will never be able to be used again for anything like this! :-/ :(

Last edited:
•••
-

Last edited:
•••
My name SafelySecured (com) is a universal descriptive term that perfectly describes the safe acquisition and protection of virtually anything, so it can be used without limitation for any services you may want to expand into later.
Nice name, they are pretty specific in what they are looking for, I offered SecureNames in king and org as a combo, and that didn’t even make the cut, but vettednames.com did.

Last edited:
•••
Nice name, they are pretty specific in what they are looking for, I offered SecureNames in king and org as a combo, and that didn’t even make the cut, but vettednames.com did.
SecureNames is definitely better than any of the options in this poll. Nice one.

•••

"Secure Names" sounds pretty good specially in .com and the matching .org, you should be able to sell it or use it yourself for something later. IMO

•••
SecureNames would have gotten my vote but out of the options in poll +1 for DNProtect and NameSeal

Last edited:
•••
SecureNames is an excellent name, specifically for this contest.

•••
VettedNames didn't make the cut .. the singular VettedName did (the one that's leading the votes and why I'm having a hard time with this poll .. lol).

That being said, I agree with @Josh R that SecureNames is a good one, although maybe they thought it gave the impression it was an actual security product as opposed to vertification/insurance .. that being said .. still a very good name in general (I'd have likely included it .. but again .. their vision of the project seems a little wider than first described)! :)

SecureNames would have gotten my vote but out of the options in poll +1 for DNProtect and Assurer
Assurer seems like it "should" be the clear winner .. but I'm not sure how many people would put a double r (assurrer) .. it just seems a little clunky off the tongue ... *BUT* .. it is a single word .. so mega bonus points for that .. but despite being 2 words, NameSeal is just a single character longer and much easier to say. Not sure if NameSeal is even my first choice, but I would take it over Assurer (for this specific purpose .. also considering the likely significant price difference)

Last edited:
•••
At first glance I thought Assurer as well, but it's a pretty horrendous brand name in hindsight.

•••
•••
"Secure Names" sounds pretty good specially in .com and the matching .org, you should be able to sell it or use it yourself for something later. IMO
Yes, i was going to build out on Brandsight/com, but that got sold, but yea I guess I am like the rest I always say this name is great for this, and that, and a few weeks go by, nothing gets done, then something else comes up, and I move onto that, rinse, and repeat.

•••
I offered SecureNames in king and org as a combo, and that didn’t even make the cut

SecureNames would've got a vote from me, as well, along with the one I did vote for - DNProtect.

Last edited:
•••
Assurer seems like it "should" be the clear winner .. but I'm not sure how many people would put a double r (assurrer) .. it just seems a little clunky off the tongue ... *BUT* .. it is a single word .. so mega bonus points for that .. but despite being 2 words, NameSeal is just a single character longer and much easier to say. Not sure if NameSeal is even my first choice, but I would take it over Assurer (for this specific purpose .. also considering the likely significant price difference)

At first glance I thought Assurer as well, but it's a pretty horrendous brand name in hindsight.

Ok, I am the owner of Assurer.

But, regardless, the above comments amaze me. Google search for Assurer returns 200 million results and only 200 000 for assurrer, meaning the chance of misspell is 1/1000.

The pronunciation is super easy too. And at least for this one out of all names in the list, you can go to authoritative source and actually listen how to pronounce it:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assurer?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=a&file=assure05

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assurer

Furthermore, it is one of few names in the list that correctly describes the purpose of the project. Because, by full description from Rob elsewhere, the project also aims at providing assurance that the names are clean, usable etc. It also assures customers that their name is safe and protected.

And, I am fine if the contest holder chooses another name. This one will find a good home regardless, as there are only handful of similar alternatives for a great brand in insurance, quality assurance, safety, security industries, each of which is huge. There is a reason this name was registered in 1996. Truly, no need for animosity like above.

PS in the heat of competition, many forget that these contests are in the name of having fun and an opportunity, not a cut-throat fight.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, I am the owner of Assurer.

But, regardless, the above comments amaze me. Google search for Assurer returns 200 million results and only 200 000 for assurrer, meaning the chance of misspell is 1/1000.

The pronunciation is super easy too. And at least for this one out of all names in the list, you can go to authoritative source and actually listen how to pronounce it:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assurer?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=a&file=assure05

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assurer

Furthermore, it is one of few names in the list that correctly describes the purpose of the project. Because, by full description from Rob elsewhere, the project also aims at providing assurance that the names are clean, usable etc. It also assures customers that their name is safe and protected.

And, I am fine if the contest holder chooses another name. This one will find a good home regardless, as there are only handful of similar alternatives for a great brand in insurance, quality assurance, safety, security industries, each of which is huge. There is a reason this name was registered in 1996. Truly, no need for animosity like above.

PS in the heat of competition, many forget that these contests are in the name of having fun and an opportunity, not a cut-throat fight.
I just don't like the way it rolls off the tongue and don't really like it as a brand. No doubt it has the most inherent value out of the bunch by far.

No animosity intended, I could have used softer word choices. Sorry!

•••
I had an inquiry interaction recently, and the email on the inquiry was [email protected], to bad he only had a $2K budget for his project, but he immediately got my attention with his domain.

They actually have a business which works with setting up contracts, and agreements, much like this so people feel safe & secure within their transaction.

Just having a domain like that gets you instant credibility, it never ceases to amaze me the power of a good .com brand.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back